No announcement yet.

'I'm ready to get this thing going': Jared Goff opens up about the Rams' future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I'm ready to get this thing going': Jared Goff opens up about the Rams' future

'I'm ready to get this thing going': Jared Goff opens up about the Rams' future

Andrew Lawrence
    Friday January 27th, 2017

Last season was a real character-builder for Jared Goff. Yes, the former Cal quarterback was selected with the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft. But the Rams, the team that took him, were in transition. After a cross-country move from St. Louis to Los Angeles, the organization slogged to a 4–12 record and fired coach Jeff Fisher with three games remaining. Goff didn’t start until Week 11 and made an uneven impression when he did, completing a little more than 50% of his passes for 1,089 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions—numbers that compared unfavorably with a rookie QB cohort that included Dallas’s Dak Prescott (67.8% completion rate through 16 starts) and Philly’s Carson Wentz (62.4% through 16 starts).

So it figures that when SI.com caught up with the Rams QB1 while he was in L.A. signing trading cards for Panini, Goff would look not to the past but to a future when his early adversities and the Rams’ coaching staff purge will look minor in hindsight. He also had a few thoughts on the Super Bowl QBs, his diet and his new neighbors, the Chargers, in this Q&A, which has been condensed and edited.

Andrew Lawrence: They tell us you will be attending another Panini-sponsored event after this, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Fanfest. And there you’ll be sharing your experience transitioning into the league with other rookies. What is it that you know now that you wish you knew coming out of college?

Jared Goff: I guess to understand that it’s a big deal, but not to put so much pressure on myself, that somebody was going to take me regardless. There were times where I stayed up at night wondering.

AL: How will this off-season be different from ’16 now that both you and the Rams are more established?

JG: It’ll be big. It’ll be huge for us to have an off-season here and not have everyone moving around. We moved to about four different locations last year. It’ll be nice to be in one place, focus and have a routine.

AL: Which Hard Knocks storyline was the last to die: William Hayes’s obsession with mermaids and dinosaurs, or you not knowing which directions the sun rises and sets?

JG: [Laughs] They’re both alive and well. I hear about the sun thing quite often. That was so overblown. Hard Knocks is good. Hard Knocks is fun. But there are a lot of things that they like to script a little bit. And making fun of the rookie is definitely one of those things.

AL: So that moment with you in the helicopter—it was ... tweaked? Was it more that you were confused about the sun’s direction relative to where you were in the air?

JG: Exactly. It was made into a bigger deal than it should’ve been. But it was funny. I’ve had some fun with it.

AL: Sean McVay is your new head coach. What do you make of him?

JG: I think we first met when he was still interviewing for the job. I thought that if he was the guy they chose, I’d be very excited to work with him. Then they wound up choosing him. I’m ready to get this thing going.

AL: You spent a lot of time waiting to get on the field last year. Was it as agonizing for you as it seemed to be for those fans who were following it?

JG: I wanted to play from Day One. But with everything that was going on, there are a million reasons why that didn’t happen right away. I was totally fine with it. I was gonna do whatever the coaches wanted, and that was it. I was ready to sit and learn for however long. I learned a lot. There were a lot of things I got out of it, a lot of positives. I think in however long—10, 15 years of my career, hopefully I play that long—I’ll be able to look back and be like, Wow, I’m thankful for that experience.

AL: What’s the thing this team has going for it now that you’re most looking forward to building on?

JG: I think it kinda goes back to what you were saying about stability. Stability’s going to be huge. I think last year there was so much instability with all the moving around, going to London and Coach Fisher getting let go and our whole coaching staff getting let go throughout the year. And now we kinda understand where the facility is—everything in between. I think that’s undervalued. Now there’s a fresh energy and a fresh culture. We needed it.

AL:Is it true that you had a digestive deficiency that prevents you from being able to process protein properly?

JG: I’ve been trying to put on weight my whole life. I didn’t figure it out until a year ago that that was the reason why I couldn’t. The protein wasn’t being digested or broken down correctly into my muscles. So I had to take some powders. I don’t know exactly the chemicals. It was legal. It allowed me to break down the protein better. I really don’t have to take it anymore.

AL: What’s something that these Super Bowl QBs do well that you’d love to steal for yourself?

JG: Matt Ryan’s deep ball. It’s probably the best in the game. [Of course, it helps that he has guys like Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu to work with.] And Brady? He’s just the best. Period.

AL: So how does it feel not to be the new NFL team in town anymore? Can L.A. handle all this football?

JG: I think it’ll be fine, with us and the Chargers. When we came down here everybody knew another team was gonna come—whether it was them or the Raiders. We put a lot of money into our new stadium and team facility, so I think it’s only fair to share it. Hopefully we get the fans involved, start a little rivalry and are successful in our own right.

JG: [Laughs] They’re both alive and well. I hear about the sun thing quite often. That was so overblown. Hard Knocks is good. Hard Knocks is fun. But there are a lot of things that they like to script a little bit. And making fun of the rookie is definitely one of those things.

AL: So that moment with you in the helicopter—it was ... tweaked? Was it more that you were confused about the sun’s direction relative to where you were in the air?

JG: Exactly. It was made into a bigger deal than it should’ve been. But it was funny. I’ve had some fun with it.
    If true, this kind of blows away the :"Goff is a dumb-ass because he doesn't know where the sun rises" narrative that has been pushed by some here.

AL: Sean McVay is your new head coach. What do you make of him?

JG: I think we first met when he was still interviewing for the job. I thought that if he was the guy they chose, I’d be very excited to work with him. Then they wound up choosing him. I’m ready to get this thing going.
    Love the attitude, but I'll love him backing it up more.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -01-27-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I keep saying it, but Goff comes across very well when he speaks. I certainly have a better feel about Goff than I did with Bradford
      @EssexRam_

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RockinRam
        California Cool - By Michael Silver Jan.19, 2019
        by RockinRam
        EDIT: This was written by Michael Silver on January 29th, not the 19th. Sorry for the confusion.

Jared Goff's football career has been a roller-coaster ride, but the 24-year-old Rams quarterback offsets all highs and lows with an unwavering chill.

LOS ANGELES --The mood was tense. The stakes were enormous. The din was deafening -- and that was just in the Los Angeles Rams' huddle.

Trailing 13-0 early in the second quarter of the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans two Sundays ago, his team rattled by a cacophonous Superdome crowd he'd later describe as "the loudest thing I'll ever experience ... disorienting ... dizzying," 24-year-old quarterback Jared Goff finally snapped. Yet it wasn't the relentless roar of the 73,028 fans that triggered the young passer; rather, it was the well-intentioned intervention of some of the equally besieged men in his midst.

"He took control in a way that I'd never seen before," veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth recalled last Thursday. "It was crazy loud, and a bunch of us kept trying to chime in and give input, and he just said, 'Hey! Everybody shut up. I'll get you guys into the right places. This is my show. I've got it.' First time I've ever heard him do that ... and you know what? Everybody listened."

Said guard Rodger Saffold: "He said it with some bass in his voice. That was pretty cool. It was like, OK, Jared -- I see you. The noise was insane, but the fact that he was able to settle us down, show his leadership and lead us to victory shows you how much he's grown these last three years. He had so much poise -- and that's the biggest thing you need to know about Jared Goff: He has poise, win or lose."

After spurring the Rams to a 26-23, overtime victory over the Saints, Goff charged onto the field and made some noise of his own. As he recalled last Wednesday during an interview at his home near Calabasas, California, that will air on NFL Network's "GameDay Morning" on Super Sunday, "As soon as we got a few points on the board, it started to get a little more quiet. The more we'd score, the more quiet it'd get. You know, after a big play, it'd be dead silent. And when Greg (Zuerlein) hit that (game-winning, 57-yard) field goal, all you could hear was us screaming."

Now, Goff and the Rams have a chance to make some legacy-defining noise in Atlanta, where on Sunday they'll face living legend Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The matchup between a pair of quarterbacks raised in Northern California a generation apart is not one Goff will take lightly; he called the opportunity to compete against the 41-year-old Brady, who has been to eight previous Super Bowls and won five, "an honor."

That said, he is highly unlikely to get overwhelmed by the enormity...
        -01-29-2019, 03:17 PM
      • Nick
        Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
        by Nick
        Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
        Posted May 25, 2016
        Myles Simmons
        Rams Insider

With the Rams beginning OTAs next week, No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff will be on the field squaring off against a defense for the first time in practice. Because players are not in pads, the organized team activities are essentially a period of continued learning. And the coaches who work closely with Los Angeles’ newest quarterback — offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke — are looking forward to seeing Goff progress on the field.

When the organization made the decision to trade for the first pick, it was clear there was a general consensus one quarterback appeared a cut above the rest. According to Weinke, Goff’s film was simply outstanding.

“The guy is just a natural passer of the football. You can tell he’s a natural athlete,” the QB coach said. “He was probably the smoothest guy that I’ve evaluated in a long time, as it relates to pocket awareness and pocket presence.

“Time after time, you’ve seen him make big plays,” Weinke continued. “And the guy made some ‘wow’ throws that not a lot of college guys have made — or that I’ve ever seen on film. You really put all those variables together, and he was a guy who kind of rose to the top and we felt like would be a good fit here in Los Angeles.”

But it wasn’t just about the throws. The fact that Goff helped bring Cal from an 11-loss team his freshman year to winning the program’s first bowl game since 2008 speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

“Collectively, you look at his body of work and what he did as a young kid going into Cal … not only physically, but mentally what he was able to accomplish, and truly be the leader of that football team,” Weinke said, adding to “go from 1-11 to going to a bowl game and winning is important, as it relates to the quarterback position and leadership ability.”

According to Boras, Goff has shown those qualities even in the short time he’s been a Ram.

“Watching him with the other rookies and just the leadership, and getting those guys out involved — it’s all the things that you’d hope for, and you heard,” Boras said. “But now to see it in person, it’s truly exciting.”

Goff’s strong work ethic has been well documented, but witnessing it in person has nevertheless been noteworthy for Boras and Weinke.

“The thing that’s really impressed me with Jared has just been his commitment to the classroom and his commitment to learn,” Boras said. “He’s been in there early for every meeting — I don’t mean five-minutes early. The meeting is supposed to start at 8:30, he’s trying to roll in and he’s always working.”

“The good thing about Jared is that he’s a cerebral kid,” Weinke said. “He’s very smart. He can absorb the information. In our research and our due diligence on...
        -05-27-2016, 01:54 PM
      • Nick
        Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
        by Nick
        Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
        Posted 11 hours ago
        Myles Simmons
        Rams Insider

The Rams made a number of organizational moves during the offseason to help develop young quarterback Jared Goff, from hiring Sean McVay as head coach to signing free agent left tackle Andrew Whitworth. And with the club’s offseason program coming to an end this week, Goff has shown signs that he can take a significant step forward in his second pro season.

Both coaches and players have extolled Goff for his leadership off the field, and the quarterback appears to be more comfortable and confident during practice.

“I think a lot of that has to do with the guys around me,” Goff said Tuesday. “I think we’ve done a good job offensively going from the install to on the field and being effective with it. I think that goes back to the coaches as well. Their ability to install and their ability to teach and coach us has been tremendous. It’s been a lot of fun learning with them and continuing to improve myself and the team as a whole.”

The ease of installing the playbook has been a common refrain from members of Los Angeles’ offense since McVay’s arrival. Players have said it comes from the way the coaches have been so detail oriented in their instruction and focus on learning day-by-day.

“I’ve enjoyed every day coming out here and learning with them,” Goff said. “All the way back from when we started meeting with them to now — it’s been awesome. I’ve had a really good time learning it. I think I’ve picked it up at a pretty good pace. I like where we’re at right now. Obviously, a lot of stuff to improve on, especially from today. But again, I like where we’re at.”

From offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur’s vantage point, Goff has done well in making daily strides throughout the offseason program.

“That’s been the biggest thing with him, is just get a little bit better each day, become a little more consistent on a daily basis,” LaFleur said.

“I think when you look at trying to find your identity and what you kind of want to hang your hat on within the framework of our offense, I think he’s picked some of those things up well,” McVay said. “Again, like we always talk about, it’s going to be something where we want to do a good job as coaches figuring out our players and then we’ll adjust the system accordingly.”

That’s particularly important for a signal-caller in McVay’s system, which the head coach often says is set up to make the quarterback’s job as easy as possible. To that end, McVay said Goff will have input into the way the offense functions just like any other player.

“If there’s something that he feels like is going to make it an easier way for all of the players to understand and call a concept, that’s something that we’re certainly flexible with,” McVay said. “We try to make sure that as coaches we’re...
        -06-15-2017, 05:33 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Goff Already Working To Get Better
        by r8rh8rmike
        From SI's Albert Breer:

Say what you want about Goff, but he has a great work ethic, is always striving to get better, and has a great attitude. I love the fact that he is following through on his promise to fans....
        -02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
      • Nick
        LaFleur Impressed with Goff's Accuracy, Leadership
        by Nick
        LaFleur Impressed with Goff's Accuracy, Leadership
        Posted 12 hours ago
        Myles Simmons
        Rams Insider
        @MylesASimmons

This weekend’s practices are for the rookies and tryout players, but there was one observing veteran who made an impression.

A year ago quarterback Jared Goff was participating in rookie minicamp. Today he stood outside the team’s weight room during the morning session, watching all that was happening on the field.

It was a sign of leadership that Goff’s coaches and newest teammates certainly noticed.

“I think that encourages those guys that are coming in,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said. “I love it, that he’s around. I don’t think, if you go around the league, you’re going to find too many teams where the starting quarterback is sitting there watching these rookies in their rookie minicamp. I know he’s excited about some of the pieces we’ve added. I think it’s great for us, as an organization.”

“This isn’t the first time I’ve seen Jared around,” wide receiver Cooper Kupp said. “I worked out with him in during this draft process. And it was very clear the tenacity he has, and the desire he has to win. And that’s going to show. It just so happens that there’s people here to see it, but that’s something that’s going to be going on when there’s no cameras here.”

But more than that, LaFleur said he’s been impressed with how quickly Goff has picked up the new scheme since the start of the offseason program.

“Goff has been awesome, man,” LaFleur said. “When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that. But he’s doing a nice job of picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace.”

After spending the last two years as Atlanta’s quarterbacks coach, LaFleur noted there is an adjustment from working with a seasoned veteran like Matt Ryan to a second-year QB in Goff. But Goff’s attitude in striving to improve has made it that much easier.

“I think anytime you’re dealing with a young quarterback, you never assume anything,” LaFleur said. “What’s been so much fun for me is, he’s a sponge and he is soaking up everything that you tell him. It’s been a joy to work with him thus far. Hopefully we keep chopping wood and get a little better every day.”

And on the field, Goff has apparently excelled from the voluntary veteran minicamp through the on-field Phase II workouts.

“I’ll be honest with you — I think he’s a little more accurate than I anticipated. That got me excited,” LaFleur said. “Obviously, he’s got a big arm. Until you work with a guy, you don’t really know. Obviously I studied him coming out in the draft, and I knew he had some of the characteristics that you look for. He is a natural thrower. He’s tough and he’s throwing the ball with surprisingly, really good accuracy.”

It’s those qualities that have rookies like Kupp excited to get...
        -05-13-2017, 06:21 AM
      Working...
      X