• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt LaFleur, Rams have mutual interest, sources say

Matt LaFleur, Rams have mutual interest, sources say

8:20 AM PT​​​​​
    Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

Not only is Atlanta poised to lose offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan to the San Francisco *****, but the Falcons also could be losing his logical replacement, quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur, according to league sources.

The Los Angeles Rams will request permission to speak with LaFleur after Super Bowl LI, as new head coach Sean McVay tries to reunite with the coach he once worked with on the Washington Redskins, according to sources.

LaFleur is interested in going from Atlanta to Los Angeles to reunite with McVay, who views LaFleur as a man capable of helping him implement his offense and teaching former No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff how to shine in the NFL game.

Atlanta could try to keep LaFleur, but it has expressed interest in a more experienced playcaller, someone such as former ***** head coach Chip Kelly.

It's been quiet lately on the OC position, maybe this is why. I think LeFleur would be a great hire.

Comment

I would be in favour of the hire. The problem is, he may get a promotion in ATL, or he could follow Shanahan to SF. Looks like there will be competition for his services.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
        It's been quiet lately on the OC position, maybe this is why. I think LeFleur would be a great hire.
        Mike, you're right. I thought Marc Trestman was going to be hired, but obviously that didn't happen. My question is how this will work with McVay calling the plays and Greg Olsen the QB coach. I suppose LeFleur will supervise the other offensive position coaches to sync-up with one another. I used to think the Pentagon had the world's biggest bureacracy. I'd like to see him bring his running game smarts (Freeman & Coleman) to the Rams.

I'm still waiting to see whom Wade will hire as the DL and DB coaches. Both areas are critical for our defense next year.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
          I'm still waiting to see whom Wade will hire as the DL and DB coaches. Both areas are critical for our defense next year.
          It's been widely reported the Rams are bringing in Aubrey Pleasant from Washington and/or Ejiro Evaro from Green Bay to coach the DB's. No official announcement, so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

It's been widely reported the Rams are bringing in Aubrey Pleasant from Washington and/or Ejiro Evaro from Green Bay to coach the DB's. No official announcement, so we'll see.
            Haven't heard of either one, but I'll assume Wade, whom I suspect will make the decision, knows the best coaches he wants. Sure will be interesting.

Go Rams!

Comment

The DL coach has already been hired. A guy named Bill Johnson who last held the same position with New Orleans.

Comment

From the Orange County register today:

Landing veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was the big move, and the Rams already have agreed on terms with most of the assistant coaches who will fill out McVay’s staff. Returning assistants John Fassel (special teams) and Skip Peete (running backs) will provide some continuity.

Assistant coaches Greg Olson (quarterbacks), Eric Yarber (receivers), Shane Waldron (tight ends), Aaron Kromer (offensive line), Bill Johnson (defensive line), Joe Barry (linebackers) and Aubrey Pleasant (secondary) are expected to join the Rams, but the team has not yet announced the hirings.

Comment

It looks like the LaFleur situation will be a little clearer soon, the Falcons have hired Steve Sarkisian to replace Shanahan as OC.

Anything can still happen, but I have feeling LeFleur and the Rams already have something in place.

Comment

Matt LaFleur - C - Rams Rams hired Matt LaFleur as offensive coordinator.
                    The Falcons' QBs coach the last two seasons, LaFleur was expected to take over for Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator, but Atlanta decided to hire Steve Sarkisian instead. LaFleur is unlikely to call plays under Sean McVay, but the promotion is another step up the ladder for the up-and-coming coach. Like McVay did in Washington, LaFleur could take over play-calling duties from the offensive-minded head coach sometime in the next couple years.
                    There you go!

Comment

Seems like a good hire on the surface. I hope he will bring the knowledge of running a balanced offense. We are so focused on getting Jared Goff's passing game up to speed, as well we should be, that I hope the running attack doesn't go overlooked. While we have Gurley, Cunningham and Brown on the roster I wouldn't be surprised if we took a change of pace rb on day 3 of the draft. Tavon as a rb doesn't convince me as we tried that for 4 years with limited success.

As another value LaFleur can add is his familiarity with Shanahan's offense when we play the *****.

Go Rams!
                      Last edited by mde8352gorams; -02-08-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Seems like a good hire on the surface. I hope he will bring the knowledge of running a balanced offense. We are so focused on getting Jared Goff's passing game up to speed, as well we should be, that I hope the running attack doesn't go overlooked. While we have Gurley, Cunningham and Brown on the roster I wouldn't be surprised if we took a change of pace rb on day 3 of the draft. Tavon as a rb doesn't convince me as we tried that for 3 years with limited success.

As another value LaFleur can add is his familiarity with Shanahan's offense when we play the *****.

Go Rams!
                        Unless I'm mistaken I think Cunningham is a FA. I really hope we can retain him because he is a very underrated part of our offense and also a great kick returner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post

Unless I'm mistaken I think Cunningham is a FA. I really hope we can retain him because he is a very underrated part of our offense and also a great kick returner.
                          I agree, Bam Bam has heart and I think was underused last year. I hope we keep him as well...

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post

Agreed, I too hope we re-sign him. My point was simply to add a rb who can be more of a speedster type, rather than the power back type runner. Gurley is that rare blend of power and speed, while Cunningham is more the power back. While I have my doubts he can fill that role, Tavon is our speed runner. Maybe if he's converted to that role full-time he can excel. Pharoah Cooper can fill his spot at the slot WR.

Go Rams!

Comment