Trade Proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Proposal

For years I've been interested in trading for ILB Mychal Kendricks (Eagles). He no longer fits their defense (or as Jim Schwartz assumes) and is reportedly on the trading block, again. Kendricks is only 26 years old, and has been a very productive LB when used for them. In 5 years, he has 380 tackles, 12 sacks, 3 INT's, 20 PDF's, 6 FF. This guy is a legitimate playmaker that is well rounded and can play all 3 area's of the game. He can put his hat down and stop the run, he ran a 4.4 at the combine and is extremely quick and is one of the better cover LB's in the league, and clearly he can be used in blitz packages as well which I'm sure Wade will LOVE.

Kendricks was a 2nd round pick in 2012 from the Andy Reid era. The only thing that's not great about him is his contract, which isn't bad, but it's not a huge steal either. He's due for these hits:

6.6 mill (4.8 mill dead cap)
    7.6 mill (3.2 mill dead cap)
    8.6 mill (1.6 mill dead cap)

The deal he signed in 2015 originally was a 4 year 29 million dollar contract with 16 million guaranteed.

The Eagles seem VERY determined to move him as they already have LB's they prefer ahead of him and the fact that they transitioned into a 4-3 under Jim Schwartz, there was talk about trading him in the pre-season but now they seem desperate to move him and get the contract off their books. We could offer them a mid-low round draft pick and I'm sure that would get it done (4th or 5th rounder), but I'd actually explore a player-for-player trade. I think a deal that could help both teams very well would be a Mychal Kendricks for Will Hayes trade. Let me explain....

Hayes has been very good for us, and is regarded as a fan favourite. Problem #1 is he absolutely has no fit on this defense. He's also older now (I believe 32) but is still a very effective spot starter/sub package rusher, specifically in a 4-3 D. The Eagles could use a DE starter opposite of Brandon Graham, and even if they prefer to roll out Vinny Curry, Hayes offers amazing depth at that spot and another really valuable piece for their front 7 which Schwartz loves to sub often.

If the Rams traded Will Hayes for Mychal Kendricks, they'd fill the ILB spot next to Ogletree with another very good LB and the cap hit difference for this year is -1.35 mill, which is barely anything.

(He's #95 btw)

What say you guys?

Could've had him or Bobby Wagner to begin with if we didn't get cute in the 2012 NFL Draft and traded back six spots to accumulate more picks. Had to settle for Isaiah Pead instead...

If we can do a player for player trade that would be ideal, but I think if they are going to move him it would be for a draft pick first and there's 31 other teams out there who might pony up with one. Not a bad idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post
      Could've had him or Bobby Wagner to begin with if we didn't get cute in the 2012 NFL Draft and traded back six spots to accumulate more picks. Had to settle for Isaiah Pead instead...

If we can do a player for player trade that would be ideal, but I think if they are going to move him it would be for a draft pick first and there's 31 other teams out there who might pony up with one. Not a bad idea though.
      I'm sure there would be other interested teams as well, but I think a decent starter and elite backup is better than and mid round pick, but I guess who really knows.

There's also news that they may outright release him. They clearly want him gone, as they are extremely tight on cap space and need to clear up as much as possible.

Obviously if he was released that would be the best scenario as we can simply sign him to a deal that we think is fair, but for a player of his caliber I'd be willing to trade.
      Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-11-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Id probably do it. I wonder if we could trade Barron for him since I doubt Barron is going to fit in the new D

Comment

Originally posted by MrOrange View Post
          Id probably do it. I wonder if we could trade Barron for him since I doubt Barron is going to fit in the new D
          I hope there is a role for Barron, but I won't lie I was worried about this predicament after we re-signed him last offseason. They decided to splurge on him and let Janoris Jenkins walk instead which I didn't like to begin with. I disliked it even more because if Fisher and Co. were all canned (thankfully they were) then Barron's fit and usage in another defense would immediately come into question. Lo and behold now we have Wade Phillips installing a mainly 3-4 defense here. Barron is definitely miscast for that type of D and is already smaller than prototypical LBs but his contract makes it tough to get rid of him so he'll most likely be here through next season. I hope we can still get a lot out of him because otherwise he's another overpaid player taking up precious cap space -- I know we have plenty to spare but think of all the room we could have otherwise.

Comment

We might not pick up TJ McDonald's contract so that would give Barron the inside on the SS spot and his natural position. I would not mind keeping Barron. As for the Will Hayes trade I doubt the eagles would do a straight up swap.... but if we threw in that 4th to a 5th I am thinking they would demand at least a 4th it might get their interests up enough to work maybe. I am not as high on Hayes staying with our new coaches etc team also, so would be happy to trade him for a Kendricks I like the Kendricks boys allot! They both are all pro potential every season! So I am all for this trade make it happen sosa! lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrOrange View Post
              I don't think they'd trade for Barron because they wouldn't pay 11 million dollar salary for a 3rd LB, but I would love to move Barron. I like him, and in the right role he can be a very useful player, but I don't think he fits the 3-4 quite well and would like to replace him with a traditional ILB who can thump and take on blocks.

Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post

I hope there is a role for Barron, but I won't lie I was worried about this predicament after we re-signed him last offseason. They decided to splurge on him and let Janoris Jenkins walk instead which I didn't like to begin with. I disliked it even more because if Fisher and Co. were all canned (thankfully they were) then Barron's fit and usage in another defense would immediately come into question. Lo and behold now we have Wade Phillips installing a mainly 3-4 defense here. Barron is definitely miscast for that type of D and is already smaller than prototypical LBs but his contract makes it tough to get rid of him so he'll most likely be here through next season. I hope we can still get a lot out of him because otherwise he's another overpaid player taking up precious cap space -- I know we have plenty to spare but think of all the room we could have otherwise.
              Yeah that's going to be a big question this off-season. He doesn't really fit, but his contract is definitely another factor that'll play in our ability to move him. I think if we could move him we should take it (maybe to CLE to join Gregg Williams?).

Originally posted by Randart View Post
              We might not pick up TJ McDonald's contract so that would give Barron the inside on the SS spot and his natural position. I would not mind keeping Barron. As for the Will Hayes trade I doubt the eagles would do a straight up swap.... but if we threw in that 4th to a 5th I am thinking they would demand at least a 4th it might get their interests up enough to work maybe. I am not as high on Hayes staying with our new coaches etc team also, so would be happy to trade him for a Kendricks I like the Kendricks boys allot! They both are all pro potential every season! So I am all for this trade make it happen sosa! lol
              I think they'd probably do the deal, but that's just a pure guess. Kendricks barely plays for them and removing his contract will be their main motivation, and to receive a potential starter/great depth player would be nice compensation.

I agree, the Kendricks brothers are both very good players. Quick LB's that can play all phases of the game!

Comment

Could we not try and trade Barron to the Browns? I'm sure Gregg would have a use for him. Opps just read the same comment above. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Unspoken View Post
                  Could we not try and trade Barron to the Browns? I'm sure Gregg would have a use for him. Opps just read the same comment above. haha
                  I think if anyone would trade for Barron it'd likely be CLE, but its going to be hard to predict this off-season for 2 reasons:

1) There's a new coaching staff, and when there's a new staff there's always big roster turnover. Problem is we have a lot of pieces, and the one's we don't, we don't really know what they're looking for.

2) Moving some guys (like Barron) is going to be a bit of a problem because we'd shed his 11 million dollar salary, but also eat a 4 million dollar penalty (net savings would be 7 million).

Comment

As obtuse as it may sound the discussion of whether we keep Barron will have a big part to do with the ability to re-sign TruJo. If McDonald isn't picked-up then we have a completely vacacated secondary if we're unable to sign TruJo. You are banking on Gaines and Alexander to anchor the backfield and that concerns me. I'm not certain what the best answer will be with our adjustment to a 3-4 scheme. I'm glad that we have a veteran DC who more than likely knows what he wants to see in terms of players retained. My one certainty is that Barron's versatility makes him more valuable than McDonald right now.

As for the trade, Kendricks would be a solid addition. We do have to be careful about dealing draft picks this year as we have precious few.

Go Rams!

Comment

I'd be happy making the trade. Would you see Kendricks and Ogletree as the two inside linebackers in the 3-4 then?
                      @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
                        I'd be happy making the trade. Would you see Kendricks and Ogletree as the two inside linebackers in the 3-4 then?
                        Yes, exactly. I think pairing those two in the middle would be very beneficial for our defense. Two versatile and interchangeable LB's that can do everything and is one of the most athletic pairings at LB in the league.

Comment

Interesting thought.

How about Kendricks for Kendricks straight up? hahahah
                          All bets are Goff

Comment

Originally posted by Head Slap View Post
                            Interesting thought.

How about Kendricks for Kendricks straight up? hahahah
                            Works for the Rams but I don't see the Eagles wanting to do it unless they were just lazy with the jerseys and just wanted to change the numbers over
                            @EssexRam_

Comment

Working...
                            X