• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson

Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson

5:09 PM PT
    Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick who has struggled at left tackle throughout his three-year career, remains "a big part" of the Los Angeles Rams' plans moving forward, new coach Sean McVay said Friday.

McVay did not specify whether Robinson would remain at left tackle, but he did praise his talent.

"When you see some of the things he's able to do, you see the athleticism in space when he's pulling around and using some of those perimeter schemes that they did offensively last year," McVay said during a news conference from the team facility, which followed a meet-and-greet with his new assistant coaches. "He's a guy that we're excited to get around. That's why it's frustrating that we have to wait so long to get these guys in the building, see them on the grass."

Robinson has committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the past two years. In 2016, Pro Football Focus graded him 71st among 78 qualified tackles. He was benched on two separate occasions this past season, when the entire offensive line struggled to protect rookie quarterback Jared Goff and create space for running back Todd Gurley.

There was some thought the Rams might simply part ways with Robinson, who will cost about $6.8 million toward the salary cap in 2017, but it appears the new staff is not ready to do that.

New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who spent the past two years with the Buffalo Bills, said Robinson has shown "flashes of skills" to remain an NFL left tackle.

"Now, why it's not consistent, I can't answer that; I don't know," Kromer said. "When I can work with a player and get my hands on him and be outside and ask him to do something and ask him to do it again and ask him to adjust something, then I know what we can do with him, how we can fit him in the offense. But until then, on tape -- I don't know what he was told. I kind of know what he was supposed to do, but I don't know what his mindset was. I don't know it with any of them. So, I'm just looking for individual skills, like a scout."

At 6-foot-5, 332 pounds, Robinson is surprisingly athletic and has the skills to play left tackle, something that was obvious when he came out of Auburn in 2014 but just hasn't clicked yet in the NFL.

The Rams' previous offensive line coach, Paul Boudreau, spoke during the season about Robinson's inconsistent mechanics.
    "He's all over the place with his feet, he's all over the place with his hands," Boudreau said. "And when he gets in trouble, when he stops his feet, he grabs, and he gets those holding penalties that you really don't need. So, he's got to concentrate on focusing on the little things."

The Rams could try moving Robinson to guard, where he can more freely utilize his power. But the best pending free agents are guards, a list that includes Kevin Zeitler, T.J. Lang and Larry Warford. Andrew Whitworth, a 35-year-old former second-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals, is one of few notable left tackles eligible for free agency.

An in-house option at the position, besides Robinson, could be Rodger Saffold, who was perhaps the Rams' best offensive lineman last year.

Asked about transitioning to guard shortly after the Rams concluded a 4-12 season, Robinson said: "It's not really something that I'm just going to accept, because I'm so used to playing tackle. It would be hard to adjust. But if I have to adjust, that will be something that I will do."

Doesn't make any sense to give up on him right now. His salary is fully guaranteed and we'd eat a big cap hit by getting rid of him. Plus, our previous coaches did a terrible job of developing the offensive lineman.

Give Greg this year to try to be coached by a new staff and if he turns out to be good, great. You have a good player, re-sign him. And if he still sucks, we'll you lowe nothing and you let him be a free agent next year.

I'm just curious as to where he'll play. I don't know if I want him to start, but he should absolutely be a swing tackle and used in jumbo packages at worst.

Comment

I was skeptical about Robinson, but I like that the new staff still wants to see how he fits. This should be a vote of confidence to GR. Who knows maybe that is something he needs.

Comment

I like Kromer's response. Definitely a lot more refreshing than, "we're going to get it fixed."

Comment

No real downside for McVay and his coaches evaluating Robinson before any drastic measures are taken. Robinson has never been solid, but he really regressed under Boras, after showing some promise in Frank Cignetti's blocking schemes. Hopefully, the new Rams coaching staff can get Robinson on the right track, and at the very least, make him a serviceable NFL lineman.

Comment

Hopefully they don't feel obligated to play him only because of his salary. It will be interesting to see how McVey handles this situation.
            :helmet:

Comment

I say we cut our losses and move on.
              "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Could be the problem with Robinson is there wasn't anyone on the staff who could coach worth a damn!
                Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

What I find surprising is that there were seven(7) guys who played worse than he did last year according to PFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude View Post
                    Could be the problem with Robinson is there wasn't anyone on the staff who could coach worth a damn!
                    Exactly, but I won't hold my breath.
                    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                    RAMS!

Comment

Greg Robinson has been an underachieving bust for three years. That said, It would be foolish to give up on him at this time. Good offensive linemen are at a premium in this league, and the new staff owes it to themselves to see if he can be salvaged. His talent has never been in question. He's young and has great size. There is something to work with.

We are in great need of help on the offensive line. Robinson may never pan out, but every stone must be unturned to try and bring him to the level many thought he'd get to when drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                        Greg Robinson has been an underachieving bust for three years. That said, It would be foolish to give up on him at this time. Good offensive linemen are at a premium in this league, and the new staff owes it to themselves to see if he can be salvaged. His talent has never been in question. He's young and has great size. There is something to work with.

We are in great need of help on the offensive line. Robinson may never pan out, but every stone must be unturned to try and bring him to the level many thought he'd get to when drafted.
                        Greg may not relish a move to guard, but too bad. What ever he can contribute to meaningfully help this team he must do it. Maybe he can play tackle in this league one day, maybe even for us next year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Greg has the physical talent to be a beastly pulling guard, and could really help in the run game. Should be interesting to see where the new staff lines him up ..

Comment

There is absolutely 0 upside to cutting him. Here's the 3 reasons why we can't/shouldn't move on from him this off-season:

1) Greg's cap hit this year is 6.7 mill and if we cut him were on the penalty for every dollar. We literally won't save ANYTHING by cutting him
                          2) Greg is 24 years old. He's also been extremely healthy his entire career. It's crazy to give up on a young player so quickly
                          3) Our prior coaching staff developed ZERO lineman to their potential. NONE. Jamon Brown, Greg Robinson, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal were all bad. Saffold hasn't gotten any better. Havenstein regressed this year. Tim Barnes has remained awful his entire career. Even use this as proof.. We had a LT years ago by the name of Ty Nsekhe who was a borderline roster talent and looked awful here, we let him go, he bounced around for a while... and last year he started 4 games for the Redskins (Trent Williams' suspension) at LT and looked great. Talk about developing..

Comment

Given his contract, there are really only two options: (1) try to salvage him, or (2) trade him. I don't expect that the Rams will find a suitable trade partner, so all they can do is try to get him to learn to play the game. He has the physical tools. He simply does not have the field instincts necessary to put them to use.
                            sigpic

Comment

An encouraging mention I heard during the recent staff intos conducted on Friday was that Aaron Kromer is considered one of the better teaching coaches in the league. He may have his work cut out for him with GRob, but presumably there is something there with which to work.

Go Rams!

Comment

Working...
                              X