Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rating the Offseason - Part 1: Coaching Staff (Poll 1 of 5)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating the Offseason - Part 1: Coaching Staff (Poll 1 of 5)

There are five categories of offseason moves that will impact the Rams' fortunes in 2017. They are:

1. Hiring a new coaching staff
    2. Internal FA decisions
    3. Pre-draft acquisitions (FA/Trades)
    4. Draft
    5. Post-draft acquisitions (FA/Trades)

The first part is now complete.

So... how did the Rams do?
    I'm very happy with the new coaching staff.
    56.76%
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the new coaching staff.
    37.84%
    I'm neutral about the new coaching staff.
    5.41%
    I think we could have hired better coaches.
    0%
    We should have stayed with Fisher & his staff.
    0%

Had to go with #1. Love the staff.. I know it's normal to be optimistic whenever a whole new staff comes in and etc, but this time really feels like we have a shot to be very successful.

Comment

I for sure like the Wade Phillips hire. The jury is still out on McVay since he's never been a head voach before and the OC since he's never done it before either.
      :helmet:

Comment

At the risk of sounding like Av, er, RFE, I don't see how anyone can vote neutral or worse. We finally have hope. The teflon kid is dead.

I haven't been this optimistic about the state of the Rams in a long time. Feels good, man.

Comment

I am excited about McVay, Phillips, LaFleur and a few other coaches, but more cautious on others. So I am option #2.

Comment

Cautious optimism is the best I can do. Been down this road too many times with the Linehans, the Spagnuolos and the Fishers to feel otherwise. Each of those guys had legitimate reasons for their hiring and each failed big time in various ways. I like the direction we've gone in hiring a young offensive guy and also like the veteran Wade Phillips coming aboard, but ultimately I'll reserve my excitement for when we start winning consistently.

Comment

All things considered, I'm not sure anything could have been done better with the coaching staff. A lot of experience, a lot of success, and a lot of promise. I think the Rams are off to a great start. The first option was a no-brainer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                Cautious optimism is the best I can do. Been down this road too many times with the Linehans, the Spagnuolos and the Fishers to feel otherwise. Each of those guys had legitimate reasons for their hiring and each failed big time in various ways. I like the direction we've gone in hiring a young offensive guy and also like the veteran Wade Phillips coming aboard, but ultimately I'll reserve my excitement for when we start winning consistently.
                As you so frequently do, you've captured my sentiments. I voted for the cautious optimism as well. I think the people who've been hired to McVay's staff are good choices, based on what I know about them, which isn't an awful lot. I think the NFL has become a different league than it was a decade or 2 ago. Rules changes have altered the landscape so decidedly that coaches who years ago were thought to be very capable (read Jeff Fisher) are now almost extinct. I think the best example of that is the Buddy Ryan coaching tree is worthless today. Much of what makes a coach successful beyond the obvious is an ability to relate with his players. Would Vince Lombardi be as successful today as he was in the '60's I'd wager not. He must still be a leader regardless and inspire better play.

My fervent hope for this staff aside from simply adding players who can make us better, is that they instill discipline both on the field and off. That means not committing penalties that affect the outcome of a game and conducting yourself professionally away from the team. No DUI's domestic abuse or drug violations (legal or illegal).

What pleases me the most is that the staffing appears to understand the position of the offense and defense. One needs vast improvement of talent, the other needs fine tuning. Where teaching is needed I hope that will happen too. So essentially my eyes are wide open rather than blindly believing this is all going to function seamlessly. That's not meant to put down anyone who is wildly optimistic, its just that I've been there, done that.

Go Rams!

Comment

The last regime was awful. Fisher biggest downfall was not bringing in competent coaches..boras, weinke?? Please..I like this staff so far..there's hope for the offense...Phillips taking a decent defense to very, very good, is strong possibility.

Comment

Well I voted number 1 cause I am very happy with this coaching staff. I was not a huge fan of Greg Williams and I like what we have going offensively so much more than the last five years Fish just did not do enough to fix the offense or hire better coaches he really disappointed me in this. I expected more from him and in the end he had to go, you know what I found funny is he wants to coach against the Rams. It is like wow the owner kept you on when most of the fan base and pundits and probably other coaches thought he should be let go a couple seasons ago. I was a supporter of his but in the end he did not do enough and he actually lost the players too I think that never happened to him before. This staff I feel will infuse our team with real optimism and a great outlook. Our young head coach is amazing love to hear him chat about football and history of the game etc. very cool!

Comment

i can only hope for the best. As stated, we have been down this road before. I have no clue what this coaching staff will be able to do. Just names right now.......

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

My fervent hope for this staff aside from simply adding players who can make us better, is that they instill discipline both on the field and off. That means not committing penalties that affect the outcome of a game and conducting yourself professionally away from the team. No DUI's domestic abuse or drug violations (legal or illegal).

What pleases me the most is that the staffing appears to understand the position of the offense and defense. One needs vast improvement of talent, the other needs fine tuning. Where teaching is needed I hope that will happen too. So essentially my eyes are wide open rather than blindly believing this is all going to function seamlessly. That's not meant to put down anyone who is wildly optimistic, its just that I've been there, done that.

Go Rams!
                        I'm with NJ and MDE - cautiously optimistic. Kind of like Peanuts trying to kick the football with Lucy holding it. She manages to bamboozle him every time. I've been down that road too many times. Better players, accountability, and cutting edge coaching are what I'm hoping for ..

Comment

I'm very happy the new coaching staff, as long as the players buy into the new system I think it will translate into better team chemistry on and off the field thus increasing win totals compared to years past.

Comment

Given the votes, I'm giving the Rams an A- on Part 1 of the offseason - coaching staff.

Next grade will be for internal FA decisions, which is mainly about Trumaine Johnson, Kenny Britt, Dominique Easley, T.J. McDonald, Benny Cunningham, Brian Quick and Greg Zuerlein.

Comment

Cautiously optimistic. I'm happy with the Phillips hire, as I was never a fan of Williams. I'm hopeful the learning curve for McVay will be short and steep, so....optimistic and hopeful he survives his entry as an HC. I'm ecstatic that we have a new OC and QB coach, but just about anybody has to be an upgrade over what we had. With all the offensive minds now surrounding Goff and company, I'm hopeful overall and think we will improve with these teachers.

But then again, I felt this way when we got Fisher....so, there's that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X