Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rating the Offseason - Part 1: Coaching Staff (Poll 1 of 5)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cautiously optimistic is the only rational response, coming off a 4-12 season and in the midst of a great age of failure. But, if you're less than that at the outset of the offseason, you should probably look for a more agreeable hobby. If you're more than that, you are just blessed with a cheery disposition.

Fisher had run his course and had failed as our HC. So, for me it's cause for cautious optimism that we have any new staff. Also, that we aren't moving this offseason, and are now settled in L.A. I didn't see it playing out like it did, but I certainly was very concerned that the moves, Goff deal, Hard Knocks, etc. were going to have an impact on the field. And I believe that was definitely a part of what happened last season. It feels good to have turned the page. We can wipe off the mud and fecal matter, and look forward with fresh faces.

But I also like what I see. I like McVay's energy, and I'm impressed by the effect he has on people. Wade Williams is a huge score. Top guy with a record of recent success and championship, and bringing needed experience to the top of the staff. The whole group looks solid to me. (I mean what the hell do I know about most of them?) Critically, it looks like a good set of coaches to develop Goff. (And Mannion, who may well be a serviceable QB himself.) This appears to be a better staff on offense, not worse on defense, and same on special teams. Seems pretty good to me.

Now, personnel and contract decisions are huge (your nos. 2 and 3 I suppose). There is enough young talent on this team to have a very competitive level roster right away with the addition of the right veteran FAs, followed by a good draft and rookie FAs. C'mon Les, show us what you got without Fisher breathing down your neck!

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
      Cautiously optimistic is the only rational response, coming off a 4-12 season and in the midst of a great age of failure. But, if you're less than that at the outset of the offseason, you should probably look for a more agreeable hobby. If you're more than that, you are just blessed with a cheery disposition.
      I guess it depends on your perspective of the poll. I answered based on the actual coaching picks. When I look at the experience, the success, and the promise, it's easy for me to be "very happy" with the new coaching staff. That said, how the picks actually pan out for me, is a different issue. In that regard, like most, I'm "cautiously optimistic".

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I guess it depends on your perspective of the poll. I answered based on the actual coaching picks. When I look at the experience, the success, and the promise, it's easy for me to be "very happy" with the new coaching staff.
        \

I suppose every poll is subject to some degree of interpretation, but this was, in fact, the intent.

One can be "very happy" with the coaching staff hired while remaining far less optimistic about the Rams' future. That is why I listed this as the first of 5 polls. If the Rams get a great grade on "coaching staff" but poor grades in FA and the draft, I suspect that the overall level of optimism will be fairly low.

Comment

Number 3 I just don't know and want room to adjust my opinion upward as things progress. If the choice of coach had anything to do with the retention of Snead as a condition it makes me suspect. Just an assumption.

Let's see what they do with positions.
          All bets are Goff

Comment

Working...
          X