• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvengerRam
    • May 2016

Schefter: Rams will franchise tag Trumaine Johnson

My thoughts:

1. Johnson is a guy we can't lose. He's our best DB by far, and has rare size for the CB position, making him a guy who can take on the bigger receivers.

2. I'm not thrilled about paying him franchise tag money. My hope is that this move is intended to secure his services with the hope of reaching a long-term deal later.
  • mde8352gorams
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
    My thoughts:

1. Johnson is a guy we can't lose. He's our best DB by far, and has rare size for the CB position, making him a guy who can take on the bigger receivers.

2. I'm not thrilled about paying him franchise tag money. My hope is that this move is intended to secure his services with the hope of reaching a long-term deal later.
    Absolutely. The problem is either TruJo or his agent seems to be unrealistic about the money he feels he's worth. Adding to that are the teams desperate for a top shelf CB that they're willing to overpay. Cleveland strikes me as a perfect example with Gregg Williams now the DC. They have a ton of FA cash to spend.

I hope you are right about reaching a long-term deal later. I'm not sure about the mechanics, but can a franchise tag be removed and if so what are the ramifications?

We better figure out a strategy for TJ McDonald as well. While not as urgent as TruJo, still a valuable player.

Go Rams!

Comment

• sosa39rams
      • Jan 2010

Love that they decided to keep him around. Tru is great player, and I can only imagine what Wade can do with him. Now, get him locked into a long term deal and bring that cap hit down another 5 or 6 mill!

Comment

• AvengerRam
        • May 2016

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Absolutely. The problem is either TruJo or his agent seems to be unrealistic about the money he feels he's worth. Adding to that are the teams desperate for a top shelf CB that they're willing to overpay. Cleveland strikes me as a perfect example with Gregg Williams now the DC. They have a ton of FA cash to spend.

I hope you are right about reaching a long-term deal later. I'm not sure about the mechanics, but can a franchise tag be removed and if so what are the ramifications?

We better figure out a strategy for TJ McDonald as well. While not as urgent as TruJo, still a valuable player.

Go Rams!
        The Rams have until July 15 to reach a long-term deal with him. If they don't (and he signs the tag), he's locked in at the franchise rate for 2017.

Comment

• Nick
          Rams Nation MVP
          • May 2004

Based on last year's play, I'm not convinced the Rams have any capable starting outside corners on the roster right now. I think a lot of us were counting on Gaines to be that guy, but he seemed to have a tough transition back from injury.

So I'm glad to hear they're planning to make this move and hopefully lock Trumaine up long term. I don't think it would be a bad idea to see one of the teams first 3-4 picks be used on CB help, assuming they don't make a splash on a potential starter in free agency.

Comment

• mh-i
            • Dec 2005

I'm completely indifferent to this move. Johnson is OK but he's nowhere near elite. He regularly gets eaten up by elite receivers. Year by year might be the way to go since the Rams have nobody else to take his place. Evidently he wants more money long term than the Rams are comfortable paying him even given the cap room. It'll be interesting to see what Phillips thinks about him after 2017 is over.
            :helmet:

Comment

• Randart
              • Feb 2013

Personally I wanted to keep Tru at near to all costs and it seems that is what it took. He is by far our best CB and two years ago with his 7 pics one of the better ones... So When healthy which he does have issues with, he is a excellent DB for us. Now can the guy stay healthy this season. If not he may be gone for that reason alone next year. As someone mentioned earlier getting another DB in the draft could be a great idea but I hope the 2nd rounder is spent on the best WR available I prefer Ju Ju he should still be there unless he blows up the combine and rises above many of the other Wideouts. Our other corners last season were on the smaller side even Gaines who cannot stay healthy now either. So if we draft or sign another DB I hope he is 6' plus. Just some of my random thoughts as they pertain to Tru Jo...

Comment

• rammiser
                • Feb 2005

I like Tru but he is definitely over rated. Hes a good number two corner but on the Rams hes the best they have unfortunately. They have to tag him because an NFL team will come in and overpay him in free agency. Tru isnt coming off a great year either but sometimes losing breeds that. The Rams really have no choice but to overpay their best corner. The only bad thing about this is that the Rams have 40 mil in cap space and the franchise for cb is somewhere around 13 mil. So the Rams need a few pieces in free agency for this offensive line but once again will have to be frugal shoppers. So i ask what is more important for this team a solid o-line or Tru and can we have both?
                Last edited by rammiser; -02-28-2017, 06:53 AM.
                Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

• AvengerRam
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by rammiser View Post
                  I like Tru but he is definitely over rated. Hes a good number two corner but on the Rams hes the best they have unfortunately. They have to tag him because an NFL team will come in and overpay him in free agency. Tru isnt coming off a great year either but sometimes losing breeds that. The Rams really have no choice but to overpay their best corner. The only bad thing about this is that the Rams have 40 mil in cap space and the franchise for cb is somewhere around 13 mil. So the Rams need a few pieces in free agency for this offensive line but once again will have to be frugal shoppers. So i ask what is more important for this team a solid o-line or Tru and can we have both?
                  He is definitely not a "No. 2 CB." He has covered opposing team's best WRs often (even before Jenkins left). His numbers are also very good (16 Ints., 53 passes defended, 263 tackles in 5 years).

He's not a Top 5 guy at his position, but he's in the discussion for the top 10 (and certainly top 15). In this league, that means that, as a UFA, he's going to get a lot of money.

Comment

• tomahawk247
                    • Feb 2006

Tru is fantastic, just as long as you don't ask him to move around the formation. You leave him on one side and he is excellent, ask him to move and cover a number 1 WR all over the field he struggles, like he did with Mike Evans against Tampa

But then again, the same can be said of Richard Sherman
                    @EssexRam_

Comment

• RockinRam
                      • Apr 2008

I think there's a couple CBs hitting the free agent market I would take over TruJ, but I am fine with keeping him around, if we can rework his contract. I don't think he's especially great, but he's a solid performer with good size.

Comment

• svh01
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
                        I'm completely indifferent to this move. Johnson is OK but he's nowhere near elite. He regularly gets eaten up by elite receivers. Year by year might be the way to go since the Rams have nobody else to take his place. Evidently he wants more money long term than the Rams are comfortable paying him even given the cap room. It'll be interesting to see what Phillips thinks about him after 2017 is over.
                        I agree with this 100% i personally think we maybe able to get equal play from another corner at a lower price. Tru is the best we have, but he's not elite. He's 1 good season which was season he would have lost his starting job if it weren't for injury. I LIKE Tru but I don't love him as a player. Poor management has put us in a bad place when it comes to Tru. If we could get Claiborne or Amukamara for less i'd let Tru walk.

Comment

• mde8352gorams
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post

The Rams have until July 15 to reach a long-term deal with him. If they don't (and he signs the tag), he's locked in at the franchise rate for 2017.
                          I knew the part of having until July 15. I fervently hope the Rams get this deal done, because he's not worth the $16 million + price tag especially given our other FA priorities. My concern is that he signs the tender and we're on the hook for that money. Essentially it becomes a question of negotiating leverage in my mind.

Go Rams!
                          Last edited by mde8352gorams; -02-28-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• macrammer
                            • Sep 2006

seems he had a really good year in 2015. Then not so good a year although decent in 2016. Franchise tag pay's him a lot for the year but do you think there is an emotional issue that he can't get what the market will bear and thus, stuck in LA?

Comment

• KoaKoi
                              • Jul 2007

I'm not a cap numbers guy, so my thought may be totally off base... But the tag here seems to make sense in the following way. The new coaches and FO know for a fact they'll need sizeable cap space to make certain moves this year.... what they don't know is exactly how much. Until they've made those expected FA pickups for OL, WR, &/or LB positions, they may not know exactly how much will be left over to complete a long term deal with TruJo.

If they don't tag now, it guarantees he walks.

On the other hand, the tag guarantees he doesn't walk. The team can make their FA moves. Coaches can see TruJo in OTA's and see him get some work in on the field and in the playbook. The team can then get their draft picks. Then they can make their final pitch for a long term deal, having at that time, a much better understanding of his talent, team needs, and team cap space.

just my gut check...

Comment