Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What SHOULD the Rams do with Trumaine Johnson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SHOULD the Rams do with Trumaine Johnson?

Seems like this is still an open question...
    Keep him. Try to sign him long-term but, if we can't, we need him this year.
    30.43%
    Trade him IF we can get a first round pick. Otherwise, keep him.
    17.39%
    Trade him IF we can get a pick in rounds 1-3. Otherwise, keep him.
    8.70%
    Trade him, period. Get whatever you can, but dump that salary.
    4.35%
    Trade him for a starting WR. Otherwise, keep him.
    4.35%
    Trade him for a Round 1-3 pick OR a WR. Otherwise, keep him.
    34.78%

I chose the last option, but I would also take a solid starter at center.

Comment

Depends on what the obstacles are in getting to a long-term deal. Is it the Rams or is it TruJo/agent? If its the Rams, then you might as well trade him as they'll never give-in to ransom demands. If its TruJo then keep working with him and if he doesn't relent then trade him to Dallas who needs DB's for their #28 pick. I've said this before, he's the 3rd best CB in our division at best.

Go Rams!

Comment

We can't get a 1st round pick for Tru, being honest isn't that quality of a CB. We could have picked up a corner in earlier in FA that could have given equal or greater production for a much lower price. I hate sounding like a broken record, but Tru is expendable. He had 1 good season and he doesn't stay healthy. At this point, get rid of the salary, address some other needs and maybe get a corner in FA or the draft. I know most people here are much higher on Tru than I am, but I see Tru as the best of a bad bunch which is not saying much. Even if he's (arguably) the 3rd best in our division (1 and 2 are probably the best in the conference maybe the league) there's HUGE gap between 2 and 3.

Comment

Last option, definitely. I don't think the Rams will fetch a second rounder in this DB class, but a third might be acceptable. The Rams could then restock with a Day Two pick. A wide receiver would be great, because that's another area LA could cross off and free up a second round pick for a DB. I'm fine with Austin/Woods as starters in Year One of McVay's system, just to see what they bring. But adding another starter caliber player and having some options would be great.

Comment

I said to keep him. I dont know who you guys think will start at corner this year if we lose Tru. EJ Gaines didn't look great last year. The guy we got from Denver was 4th on the depth chart so he is a bit of an unknown. Joyner is too small to play outside. The other corners we have are nothing special and there is no guarantee we draft a guy this year. I think Tru could be the Aqib Talib of this defense. I think you gotta try to resign him and lower the cap hit. Tru is a good corner. We already lost a good corner last year, lets not do it twice in a row.

Comment

Ideally, I'd like to get better value for Tru than receiving a 2nd to 3rd round pick in the draft. A starting WR would be a decent trade off and would allow the Rams to dump that huge salary. Otherwise maybe we will have to keep him. Remember it was only last year that the Rams deemed Johnson to be the better player over Jenkins. So anything below a first round pick or a starting calibre WR just doesn't make sense to me. The Rams have got quite the dilemma on their hands and in a perfect world should never have used the FT on Johnson.

Comment

Trade him. Dallas needs needs help at DB and may be willing to do business.

Comment

Depends on what they think his future holds. If he/we have no intentions of him being extended upon this year, move him ASAP. If they do think they can really get an extension done and that's he worth it, lock him up and you don't really worry about 1 side of the field.

I like Tru, so I wouldn't hand him away for peanuts. A 2nd round pick would be nice, but at this point, what is that saved cap going to give us? Depth? If moving him was priority #1, the Rams misplayed that tactic terribly and should have traded him away a week or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post

what is that saved cap going to give us?
                    The ability to lock Donald into a long term contract now?

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post

Also a center (ie Sullivan or Mangold),a #1 WR (ie Floyd), a CB (ie Flowers) in other words, getting rid of Tru will allow us fill more holes with players that will win us more games than having Tru would. All the players I've listed could pretty much be signed to prove it deals for 1 or 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post

But extending AD right now isn't an immediate priority. He's locked in on a cheap deal again this year, and then next year he'll still have his 5th year option picked up.

With that being said, you don't disrespect your franchise cornerstones so I'd extend him ASAP, but doesn't necessarily mean his cap will jump from 3 mill to 20 this year, so the money saved from moving Tru now would be useless IMO. Plus, we have like 70 mill cap space next year, and that's without making some pretty obvious moves that could open up close too 100 mill in cap space.
                        ​​​
                        I'd extend AD regardless of whether Tru is here or not, but parlay those hits into next year and the future, not now when we've got no space.

Comment

KEEP him. Have him stay put. Negotiate elsewhere.

Comment

Here's my six cents...Tru aint no Sherman, he's no Peterson, he is a 2nd tier cornerback but still the best cornerback we have at the moment. I like Gaines but he hasn't come back as strong as expected, we need Tru this year, Wade is a great D coach but he isn't a miracle worker. I would have much preferred paying over the odds for Jenkins and letting Tru go eventually but here we are. Until we can get 1/2 reliable cornerbacks in then we need to keep Tru. In a way this reminds of the Barrell situation from years back, Rams fans over rated him, including me, the guy couldn't catch a cold (referring to the free INT he had and dropped it) but he was never a 1st rate cornerback. Until we draft/sign a free agent cornerback that we know will be able to do the job keep him!

Comment

Here is a list of the Top 10 in interceptions among players who entered the league since 2010:

1. Richard Sherman - 30 (2011)
                              2. Earl Thomas - 23 (2010)
                              3. Kurt Coleman - 21 (2010)
                              4. Patrick Peterson - 20 (2011)
                              5. Joe Haden - 19 (2010)
                              5. Devin McCourty - 19 (2010)
                              7. Sam Shields - 18 (2010)
                              8. Trumaine Johnson - 16 (2012)
                              8. Casey Hayward - 16 (2012)
                              8. Reshad Jones - 16 (2010)

Comment

Working...