Several Splashes, Few Ripples...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Splashes, Few Ripples...

The metaphor that makes up this thread title expresses what I really like about the Rams' FA approach.

Any team (subject to the ability to clear cap space), can try to make a big splash in FA by offering a lucrative contract to a well-know, big-name FA. While fans and the media will often praise moves of that type, there are countless examples of FAs who didn't pan out, or who ultimately because high-priced anchors on their new teams.

With a new coaching staff, there may have been some temptation to make big splashes at the possible risk of long term fiscal stability.

For the most part, though, the Rams resisted that temptation.

Andrew Whitworth's signing was definitely a splash. Over the next year or two, he will likely be a stabilizing force on the Rams' OL (not to mention Jared Goff's best friend!). The Rams are paying him well, but in a couple of years, when age may catch up with him, the Rams won't be saddled with a long-term deal. Similarly, John Sullivan... another key short term addition, was signed to a one-year deal that gives the Rams time to groom a long-term solution at the center position.

Same goes for Conner Barwin. He is a key piece of the 3-4 puzzle, and should thrive under Wade Phillips. But as a 30something, he'd be a risky long-term prospect, so his one-year deal makes sense.

Another way to try to make a splash, while avoiding big ripples, is to sign players who are young and have upside, but do not yet demand elite money. Robert Woods and Kayvon Webster could prove to be examples of these types of signings.

I think its clear that McVay and his staff wish to field a strong opening day lineup in 2017, while still retaining the ability to evaluate players and to hold off on most long-term decisions until they see who fits the new system and who does not.

Will all this work? Who knows, but I have to say that its nice to be able to look at an approach and discern the logic behind it. I often did not feel that way when it came to personnel moves under Jeff Fisher. McVay seems to be a man with a plan.

Agree with everything in your splashes and ripples post... Even I was a Fisher fan I felt the same way about his moves and non moves... Not sure he had a over all plan and his management of the team lost him his job. Even his guys did not perform for him. Young McVay seems to have a plan laid out with his staff and management group it seems much more solid and defined! Also I like the way he expresses himself seems more open than fish who seemed to be trying to play with his cards face down and we were not allowed to know what came next. I could not be happier with the way things have turned out thus far. I hope for a really fun preseason and some real battles in games. If our young coach can keep these guys plugged into his system and plan not just for the first half but for the entire season game after game even we lose a tough one. Then I will consider the season a full on success even our record is not what we hope for. All the best of luck to our new coaches they will need it! Our division is still a tough knutt to crack!

Comment

I am likewise impressed with the moves in free agency. No reaches. No overpayments. Solid players and prospects. The additions fit with the overall condition of the roster. I see McVay as having a much more organized and professional approach than Fisher, who basically ran a secret club for his cult of personality. I am curious about the role and input of Snead, both in the Fisher era and with McVay. How much of this is McVay's thinking, and how much is it Snead's without the limitations of Fisher's final say. The rookie draft picks will be very interesting to see also, in terms of the differences from the prior administration. It's all very interesting, and gives us something positive to pay attention to. Thank god we're not spending the offseason listening to Fisher's spin and expecting the sosa Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
        I am likewise impressed with the moves in free agency. No reaches. No overpayments. Solid players and prospects. The additions fit with the overall condition of the roster. I see McVay as having a much more organized and professional approach than Fisher, who basically ran a secret club for his cult of personality. I am curious about the role and input of Snead, both in the Fisher era and with McVay. How much of this is McVay's thinking, and how much is it Snead's without the limitations of Fisher's final say. The rookie draft picks will be very interesting to see also, in terms of the differences from the prior administration. It's all very interesting, and gives us something positive to pay attention to. Thank god we're not spending the offseason listening to Fisher's spin and expecting the sosa Rams.

This is a very good point. Snead was a fairly green and young GM when he got hired. Now he has too have more of a say and can guide McVay. I get the feeling listing to McVay just the way he describes say a receivers route and body control ect. That has to be nice for Les to hear that type of details from your head coach when your job is to match the skill sets of the players to how the coaches want to use them. It's not hard to think on more then one occasion the Rams drafted players that either the GM got the wrong message or the coaching staff could not use the skills sets of the player drafted. Easy example is Tavon. Another one is Goff, the minute he was drafted Fisher had to go.

I don't know if we will be better or worse this year but it won't be the same old crap.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
          The metaphor that makes up this thread title expresses what I really like about the Rams' FA approach.

Any team (subject to the ability to clear cap space), can try to make a big splash in FA by offering a lucrative contract to a well-know, big-name FA. While fans and the media will often praise moves of that type, there are countless examples of FAs who didn't pan out, or who ultimately because high-priced anchors on their new teams.

With a new coaching staff, there may have been some temptation to make big splashes at the possible risk of long term fiscal stability.

For the most part, though, the Rams resisted that temptation.
          The Rams didn't have enough room under the cap to go crazy so they stayed with in their limited means. An example would be Woods at WR over one of the 2 Redskin receivers.

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post

The Rams didn't have enough room under the cap to go crazy so they stayed with in their limited means. An example would be Woods at WR over one of the 2 Redskin receivers.
            They could have found the cap room and signed either if that was their priority. They chose a different route.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post

This is a very good point. Snead was a fairly green and young GM when he got hired. Now he has too have more of a say and can guide McVay. I get the feeling listing to McVay just the way he describes say a receivers route and body control ect. That has to be nice for Les to hear that type of details from your head coach when your job is to match the skill sets of the players to how the coaches want to use them. It's not hard to think on more then one occasion the Rams drafted players that either the GM got the wrong message or the coaching staff could not use the skills sets of the player drafted. Easy example is Tavon. Another one is Goff, the minute he was drafted Fisher had to go.

I don't know if we will be better or worse this year but it won't be the same old crap.
              The only change I would make is to say that the minute Fisher traded up to get Goff, is the minute he had to go. That trade was an absurb, high-priced gambit to get a QB, by a guy who doesn't understand contemporary offense, and was just shooting for the moon to save his job. He was pretty much doomed from the moment of that trade, whoever he picked, because neither Goff nor Wentz warranted that price. (And we could have had Prescott in the 3rd round, which I admit is 20/20 hindsight.) And then Fisher made sure he was done, by giving TA that overpriced extension (after overspending draft capital on TA). Pretty incredible that Snead has apparently survived his partnership with Fisher.

I have high hopes Goff will turn into a winning NFL QB, but I don't see that he is a "special" prospect worth such a price and risk. It'll be easier to take after this draft, especially if we score with the picks we have.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post

They could have found the cap room and signed either if that was their priority. They chose a different route.
                Short of trading Tru I don't see who else they could have let go to gain more cap room without creating another hole to fill. I'm agreeing with the premise of your original post. When you have multiple must fill holes and limited options to create cap room you can't blow all your money on one or two positions. While you could be right that Woods could become elite and earn a larger contract I don't believe that was the Rams motivation in choosing him over the other two guys. I think it was more of a this is what we can afford move.
                :helmet:

Comment

I understand and generally endorse the concept of not signing free agents just because they are "name" guys. Too often people think because the guy is someone they've heard of, he automatically should be obtained if available. That said, the Rams almost NEVER go after an available skill position guy with a proven track record who might energize the fan base and create excitement, choosing instead to get the lesser known (or unknown to non-Rams fans) player. I question whether or not staking your fortunes on guys like Kayvon Webster AND Robert Woods is the right way to go when you have a horrendous offense and a QB who desperately needs a veteran presence to guide him as he (hopefully) matures into a decent starting QB. Someone who still has 3-4 years of quality football left- a Pierre Garcon, for instance. And I'm not saying I'm in love with Garcon, per-se, but a player of that caliber is to whom I'm referring. Maybe such a player, when coupled with guys like Pharoh Cooper, Nelson Spruce and Tyler Higbee (Did we give up on these guys as yet more examples of poor draft choices??) could be an upgrade and make a difference. Hopefully, McVay's vision will lead to success. But I can point to 14 years of lousy, losing football to feel the way I do. What we've done over multiple regimes hasn't worked. And I'd like to see a return to the bold approach which landed us Marshall Faulk via trade and a slew of others through free agency and the draft after a similar string of bad football in the 90's.

Comment