Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Slap
    replied
    Where does Austin play now Kupp the slot presumably. Does Mcvay line Tavon up pure wide?

Leave a comment:

• rNemesis
    replied
    Not at all. I think its three guys who can be coached up to be a lot better. I like the Jordan Matthews and Jordan Reed comparisons for Reynolds and Everett, as well as the Kupp to TJ Houshmanzadeh. And that, combined with with proposed better OL play and running room for Gurley, should open it up for Tavon and Tyler Higbee, who are explosive in their own right . It has the potential to be a dangerous offense when it comes together because you soon will not be able to key in on one guy and say ' we're gonna put 8-10 in the box to stop the run'.

Leave a comment:

• GroundDog39
    replied
    Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tavon Austin, Josh Reynolds, Gerald Everett. Now, look at the receiver group compared to yesterday. Not too shabby, hey.?

Leave a comment:

• GroundDog39
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Slap View Post
    Its not like they are going to say they blew it
    I know. It's always a case of paying lip service. McVay looked genuinely happy with the Everett pick. The camera was in the war room when the pick was made. The pick was in fast, which is usually a good sign that they like that guy.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Slap View Post
    You're a lot of fun at parties, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Head Slap
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    started a topic Snead, McVay Pleased with Three Quality Players on Day 2

Snead, McVay Pleased with Three Quality Players on Day 2

Snead, McVay Pleased with Three Quality Players on Day 2
    Posted 7 hours ago
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider
    @MylesASimmons

Though they came into Day 2 with two picks, the Rams ended the evening with three players after a key trade.

Los Angeles selected tight end Gerald Everett in the second round, followed by wide receiver Cooper Kupp and safety John Johnson in the third.

“These are guys that Les and his staff had really targeted for a long time,” Rams head coach Sean McVay said, referring to general manager Les Snead. “We know we got better with three spots.”

In order to do that, the Rams traded their No. 37 and No. 149 picks for the Bills’ No. 44 and No. 91 selections. With a pick early in the second round, Snead said he had an idea the phone might start buzzing with teams trying to move up.

“I think if we go back a couple drafts ago … I do remember we had an early pick in the second round, we were going to draft some OL — we had done Gurley — and there were a lot of OL on the board, and it was just hard to pick, who do we want? And at that moment, there were a lot of teams — the phone just started buzzing,” Snead said.

“So I think I remember writing a note down then — you know what, if you ever have an early second-round pick, it’s a good spot to be in,” Snead continued. “Usually, there’s a lot of teams that want to move up.”

It worked out well for the Rams in this case, with the club picking up a selection in the third round while still selecting Everett — a player Snead called one of McVay’s favorites in the entire draft.

“Gerald was one of those guys that was, let’s call it Scenario A, Scenario 1,” Snead said. “You always prepare trying to figure out where you can get players in the draft, but that’s the guesstimate at times and you can lose him. But we thought that if we did move back, get an extra third-round selection, we could also still get Gerald.”

Everett began his college career at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, but transferred to the University of South Alabama once UAB’s football program was shut down. In two years at South Alabama, Everett caught 90 passes for 1,292 yards and 12 touchdowns.

“I think I bring the complete package of a tight end,” Everett told reporters on Friday. “Definitely a vertical threat first, but also being a willing blocker in the run game — just being able to create that mismatch at any point of time in the game.”

The tight end likely projects more as a receiver early on in his career, particularly as he’ll have to adjust from being a part of a spread offense in college. But McVay seemed excited at the prospect of using Everett, Tyler Higbee, and Temarrick Hemingway all on the field at once.

“Being able to add a player like Gerald Everett, I think those three complement each other very well,” McVay said. “When you can do some different things out of that ‘13’ personnel package, where you’re playing with one back, three tight ends, and a receiver, you can do some different things — especially when all those guys have the ability to catch the football and run.”

L.A. used its original third-round selection to pick Kupp, who set 15 FCS records as a receiver at Eastern Washington. Kupp played in 52 college games and started them all, amassing 428 receptions, 6,464 yards and 73 touchdowns.

“I think I bring versatility. A guy that’s going to know the offense inside and out. A guy that’s going to be ready to go Day 1,” Kupp said on a conference call. “I pride myself on that, on learning the offense — I know exactly what I need to be a guy that can be reliable and be able to get first downs.”

“His above-the neck approach, in terms of the way that he sees the game, it’s almost through the quarterback’s perspective,” McVay said. “You can see he’s always got a plan at the line of scrimmage with how he’s going to work versus different coverages and where the holes are in that coverage. And he’s got great hands.”

Snead acknowledged Kupp’s 40 time at the NFL Combine may not have been the most impressive. But the GM said the wideout has plenty of measurables that stack up next to players who have been successful.

“You take his agility work — the three-cone [drill] and the short-shuttle — they’re elite,” Snead said. “They match up with some of the elite slot receivers in our league.”

Johnson played both safety and corner in his time at Boston College, but started all 13 games at free safety in 2016. And safety is where he will begin his career with the Rams, though the club likes his positional flexibility.

“When you look at John, what you’re able to see from him is a big body of work, where he’s playing underneath as a safety, he’s playing in the hole in the middle of the field, he’s playing over the top as a half-field player,” McVay said. “He started games at corner. So you have a lot of good things to evaluate and those will be things that we ask our safeties to do. At any given time, you might be asked to play in the middle of the field, underneath.”

“I think I fit best as a safety, although I think I have a corner body type,” Johnson said on a conference call. “I came into Boston College as a corner. I like covering man-to-man and I like covering intermediate zone. So, I think I have a corner body but I think I fit best as a safety.”

Johnson picked off three passes and was second on Boston College with 77 tackles in 2016. But Johnson could also become a key contributor on special teams, as McVay said coordinator John Fassel was impressed with him.

“John [Fassel] really liked him, valued him as one of the top core players in this draft because when he did play core special teams, he made a difference,” McVay said.

As the Rams head into Day 3 — starting at the early hour of 9 a.m. on the West Coast — Snead and McVay feel good about the Day 2 additions to their club.

“These are high-character guys that will get us better overall as a football team, and players that we had targeted, and kind of exactly what we wanted to come out of tonight with,” McVay said. “So that’s a great start for us.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    McVay: Rams' 2nd- and 3rd-round picks 'exactly what we wanted'
    by Nick
    McVay: Rams' 2nd- and 3rd-round picks 'exactly what we wanted'
    9:15 AM ET
    Alden Gonzalez
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Los Angeles Rams turned two picks into three on Friday. They addressed their most glaring needs, at tight end, receiver and safety. And shortly after they were finished, new head coach Sean McVay was saying that Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp and John Johnson represented "kind of exactly what we wanted to come out of tonight with."

"We know we got better at three spots," McVay told local reporters from the Rams' facility late Friday night, moments after the second and third round came to an end. "Those are high-character guys that will get us better."

The Rams sat out Thursday's first round for the first time since 1987, a product of the 2016 trade that allowed them to draft Jared Goff first overall -- and then they went about getting Goff more weapons.

When they were finally on the clock with the 37th overall pick, receiver Zay Jones and guard Forrest Lamp -- two players heavily linked to the Rams heading in -- remained on the board. Instead, the Rams traded down with the Bills for the 44th spot, netting an additional third-round pick in the process. Then they selected Everett, an explosive, 6-foot-3, 239-pound pass-catching tight end out of South Alabama who can help stretch the field.

"I have a feeling that Gerald's one of Sean's favorite players in the draft," Rams general manager Les Snead said, and that shouldn't surprise anyone who paid attention to last year's Redskins.

With McVay as offensive coordinator, those Redskins led the NFL in yards by tight ends. He needed more help at that position for the Rams, especially after cutting ties with veteran Lance Kendricks. So Everett became the third tight end drafted by the Rams in 12 months, joining Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway. The Rams' new coaches are seemingly high on all three of them, enough so that McVay even talked about running 13-personnel packages that involve one running back, one receiver and three tight ends.

Everett, who didn't get serious about football until his senior year of high school, believes he brings "the complete package of a tight end."

"Definitely a vertical threat first," he said, "but also being a willing blocker in the run game. Just being able to create that mismatch at any point of time in the game."

With the 69th overall pick in the third round, the Rams took Kupp, a sure-handed -- though not physically overwhelming -- slot receiver out of Eastern Washington who finished his collegiate career with 15 FCS records. Twenty-two slots after that came Johnson, who excelled as both a free safety and a slot corner at Boston College. Johnson will join the Rams as a safety, but can also be an asset as a special-teams gunner and will provide immediate depth...
    -04-29-2017, 08:48 AM
  • MauiRam
    Rams GM Les Snead senses 'authentic chemistry' with Sean McVay.
    by MauiRam
    Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The conversations began at the facility and would trickle into the parking lot while the sun was setting, and sometimes not even that was enough. Sean McVay, the Los Angeles Rams' 31-year-old rookie head coach, was staying at a nearby Four Seasons at the time. Les Snead, the 46-year-old general manager beginning his sixth season with the organization, followed him there on several nights, his wife and his children residing 45 miles south in Manhattan Beach, California.

A couple of times a week for more than three months, from the middle of January until the end of April, McVay and Snead picked a restaurant inside the sprawling hotel, sat down, ordered wine and continued to talk -- about football, about their personalities, about life. It often got late enough that Snead found it sensible to book a room, so that he would be closer to work when the alarm clock went off in a few hours. He did it often.

"My family would probably say too much," Snead said, a wry smile coming over him on a recent afternoon.

Those nights, McVay says now, "meant a lot."

Coach Sean McVay (left) and GM Les Snead have put in a lot of time and conversation to get the Rams headed in the right direction. Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY Sports
    "You can see, since the day that I got here, that he’s been very intentional about making sure that we have a good relationship and we have open lines of communication," McVay said of Snead. "That makes you feel good. I think it’s a two-way street, and I think it’s really important for me to do a good job of extending myself to him. That’s why we’ve been able to have a good start to this, hopefully for a long time to come."

McVay was hired as the Rams' head coach -- and thus the youngest head coach in modern NFL history -- on Jan. 12. Snead refers to the time that followed as the purest form of relationship-building, when one can start with the basics, before the distractions and the obstacles get in the way. It was during this stage that Snead found himself in a unique position, with the opportunity to connect with a young incoming head coach who was all alone in a new city. It was also his way of starting over.

"You’re not going to get those moments back," Snead said. "That’s a special thing. And me being the elder statesman, I was very aware of that."

Snead doesn't speak ill about his relationship with former head coach Jeff Fisher, who was fired last December, 13 games into his fifth season with the Rams. Snead and Fisher came in at the same time (though not necessarily together) and signed two-year extensions almost concurrently (though Fisher once famously claimed he was "unaware" Snead received one). Their relationship was never really painted as anything more than cordial. Towards the end, even that was up for debate....
    -06-20-2017, 08:00 PM
  • Nick
    Rams to boost offense with smaller-school TE Everett, WR Kupp
    by Nick
    Rams attempt to boost offense in draft with smaller-school tight end Gerald Everett, receiver Cooper Kupp
    By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
    PUBLISHED: April 28, 2017 at 8:57 pm | UPDATED: April 28, 2017 at 10:49 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — The Rams went small to go big, as they reached down to lesser-known college programs Friday to draft two tall pass-catching targets they believe will boost a struggling offense.

After they traded down seven spots in the second round, the Rams drafted tight end Gerald Everett from South Alabama at No. 44 overall, then used a third-round pick (No. 69 overall) on receiver Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington. The Rams used their final pick of the day, a late third-rounder, on safety John Johnson from Boston College.

Everett and Kupp represented big-swing picks by Rams general manager Les Snead and rookie Coach Sean McVay, the former offensive coordinator who should be pleased by the infusion of skill.

“These are guys Les and his staff really targeted for a long time,” McVay said. “Once our coaching staff got involved in the evaluation process, we felt great about these guys.”

The Rams added 6-foot-3 Everett and 6-2 Kupp to a group of receivers that includes 6-foot Robert Woods, 5-8 Tavon Austin and 5-11 Pharoh Cooper. Given the recent past of McVay, Everett figures to find himself in plenty of two-tight-end sets with 6-6 Tyler Higbee, a fourth-round pick last year.

The question is, is this new talent NFL-caliber? Everett, after a long journey, ended his college career at South Alabama of the Sun Belt Conference. Kupp, one of the most prolific receivers in NCAA history, played on the red field of Eastern Washington in the Big Sky Conference, against UC Davis and Cal Poly.

There’s a big step up from smaller-conference ball to the likes of the Seattle Seahawks defense, but the Rams, without a first-round pick this year, believed they maximized their picks with high-ceiling players.

The Rams evaluated Everett and Kupp through private workouts, interviews and when both players participated in the Senior Bowl.

“That really helps when you see those guys, when they go down there and stand out,” Snead said. “Historically, if you stand out at the Senior Bowl, you’re usually going to have a good career in the NFL.”

The selection of Everett, in particular, wasn’t a big surprise, although they waited a while to grab him. The Rams, scheduled to draft at No. 37, traded with Buffalo to move back to No. 44 and also acquired one of Buffalo’s third-round picks (No. 91), which they used to draft Johnson.

Everett fits the offensive philosophy of McVay. Last season, Washington, with McVay as offensive coordinator, had 407 receptions, and 110 went to tight ends. The Rams apparently focused on Everett after another of their top targets, tight end Evan Engram, got...
    -04-29-2017, 06:32 AM
  • Nick
    Bonsignore: Rams add some new toys for quarterback Jared Goff, Coach Sean McVay
    by Nick
    Bonsignore: Rams add some new toys for quarterback Jared Goff, Coach Sean McVay
    By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | [email protected] | Daily News
    PUBLISHED: April 28, 2017 at 9:24 pm | UPDATED: April 28, 2017 at 10:56 pm

As days turned into weeks and weeks into months leading up to the draft, a profile of sorts was being built on new coach Sean McVay inside Rams headquarters.

And a key trait soon emerged. McVay, those working closely with him explained, had a unique ability to articulate exactly what he was looking for in players to fit his offensive scheme.

Sounds pretty routine. Almost like it should be a prerequisite.

But like anything, some people are just better at certain things than others.

And in McVay’s case, his ability to communicate needs and skill sets in a concise, palatable way has quickly become a valued asset.

So you can imagine the compelling argument he must have made as the draft action finally turned the Rams way Thursday.

Although anyone who watched the Rams offense stink up the Coliseum last year could have pretty much articulated the same exact thing.

As in, how about a sure-handed wide receiver who runs precise routes in order to end up exactly where he’s supposed to be when he’s supposed to be there and can consistently hang onto the ball when targeted?

And throw in a big, fast, explosive target who can pose match up problems against slot cornerbacks or linebackers or safeties. Be it down field or in the red zone.

No offense to McVay, but we all saw the same thing.

Ask and you shall receive, though.

The Rams addressed two of their biggest needs on their first two picks Friday, and McVay now has two explosive, productive toys to work with in the revamped offense he’s building.

And in a few weeks, he’ll turn South Alabama tight end Gerald Everett and highly productive Eastern Washington wide receiver Cooper Kupp off to second-year quarterback Jared Goff, who has to be smiling right about now knowing the Rams off-season is yielding some much needed protection and weaponry.

And just as importantly, dependability.

Kupp isn’t the fastest wide receiver and he played in the FCS level Big Sky Conference, so he’ll face a whole other level of competition jumping to the NFL and must prove he’s capable of making the jump.

But he’s one of the cleanest route runners in the draft, and no matter who he lined up against at Eastern Washington he managed to light up the opposing defense.

And that includes Pac-12 competition, for whom he saved some of his biggest performances.

In four games against the Pac-12 – Washington State, Washington, Oregon and Oregon State – he dominated with 40 catches for 716 yards and 11 touchdowns. That’s an average of 17.9 yards per catch and a touchdown every 3.9 times he caught...
    -04-29-2017, 06:35 AM
  • MauiRam
    Competion In L.A.
    by MauiRam
    MMQB

As for the Rams, the Sean McVay hire makes all the sense in the world on paper. Take the 32nd-ranked offense in the NFL and put it in the hands of the man who helped Kirk Cousins grow into one of the most prolific and accurate quarterbacks in the NFL. (If that sounds like an exaggeration, recall that Cousins passed for 4,917 yards last season in Washington, third-most in the NFL, and completed 67% of his passes, good for seventh.)

The bigger unknown when it came to McVay,s hiring was how his age (31) would translate into ability to lead and manage a football team of 53 egos and personalities on a middling franchise one year into relocating to the second-most populous city in the United States.

Andrew Whitworth took the leap of faith when he left the team that drafted him in 2006, the Bengals, to join the Rams at 35 years old on a three-year, $36 million contract to anchor an offensive line that allowed 49 sacks in 2016. Whitworth is one of two players on the roster who is older than McVay, who was a high school freshman quarterback running the triple option at Marist School in Atlanta when Whitworth was a redshirt freshman at LSU in 2001. Adding Whitworth may prove to be the best decision McVay and GM Les Snead have made early in the process of turning around the Rams, not simply for his pass blocking but for his experience in McVay's offense. The scheme Whitworth learned under Jay Gruden in Cincinnati is, with slight variations, the same one McVay learned under Gruden in Washington. Former No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff spends much of his time with Whitworth quizzing him on how Andy Dalton handled certain situations in the offense.

In Whitworth's estimation, the message McVay would deliver this summer would resonate and had the potential to set a permanent tone for the season, good or bad.

You listen to him talk about defense, offense, special teams and you realize this guy knows football like no other. He's special in that way, Whitworth says. But there's something else that makes him special. I would imagine its very hard for a coach of his age to be as assertive as he has and cover the topics he has in a team meeting setting. Talking about character, about being accountable to one another, focus, discipline, the way we communicate with other.

I think it's a great place to start a football team. You see teams that are really successful when guys carry themselves the right way on and off the field.

Connor Barwin, another veteran free agent acquired this offseason by Snead, came away similarly impressed with McVay: He's figured out what he believes in and what he wants to stand for and what he wants the team to stand for, Barwin says. That's something that's important, and something somebody might not expect out of a young coach.

McVay has introduced in his short time with the football team a theme of competition. Whitworth says it...
    -07-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Working...
X