HEIGHT
    30 1/4"
    ARM LENGTH
    231LBS.
    WEIGHT
    9 3/4"
    HANDS

OVERVIEW
    All you need to know about Rogers is that in his junior year of high school, he dislocated his elbow. Instead of sitting on the sideline for the rest of the season, he moved to linebacker and tight end for the rest of the year. He was a walk-on for Tech in 2013, but he ended up playing in every game and starting two (5-9 rush, 12-78 receiving). Rogers again played in every game, starting six and contributing on offense (32-140 rushing; 20-230, one TD receiving) and special teams (11 tackles). His offensive contributions increased in 2015 (61-260, two TDs rushing; 16-193, two TDs receiving), and rose again in his senior year (67-284, two TDs rushing; 24-301, four TDs receiving) as the Hokies grew to rely on his playmaking skills.

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS A little ball of aggression. Able to play on all three downs. Has experience as ball carrier, pass catcher, pass protector and lead blocker. Can block from multiple sets and formations. Consistently productive for three consecutive years. Low center of gravity provides additional power as a runner. Carries good acceleration and knee bend to his target. Viable play-action pass catching fullback. Gives good effort as a blocker. Able to stuff and seal on down blocks from wingback spot.

WEAKNESSES Gets over-amped in space as a blocker. Needs to play with less wasted motion and more body control. Second level blocking approach lacks patience at times. Squatty with short arms and struggles to sustain blocks against players with length.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-PFA

SOURCES TELL US "He's not going to measure out very well but he's just a good football player. He'll probably be a demon on special teams and I like how versatile he is." -- AFC East regional scout

BOTTOM LINE NFL size and length is absent from the package, but good luck finding teams who won't admire his versatility and competitiveness. Rogers is a move-blocking fullback with pass-catching ability who can also give you carries in a pinch. His roster flexibility greatly increases his opportunities to have a sustained career.

Emory Hunt‏
    @FBallGameplan 2m2 minutes ago
    @VT_Football Sam Rogers is your 'new age' FB that gives the #Rams yet another offensive weapon

Comment

I'll take it. Not a pure blocking FB but legit. Special teams guy I'm guessing
      All bets are Goff

Comment

From Tony Pauline...

Bio:
        Former walk-on who won the starting fullback job as a freshman. Started 25 career games, including 12 as a senior, when he rushed for 283 yards and two touchdowns and caught 24 passes for 301 yards and four scores through the air. Totaled 453 yards and four touchdowns in 2015 and 370 yards and one score in 2014.

Pos:
        Undersized college fullback with limited upside. Displays excellent vision, gives effort and plays through the whistle. Agile, displays quickness carrying the ball and runs hard on the inside. Solid receiver out of the backfield who adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception with his hands. Keeps the play in bounds after the catch.

Neg:
        Possesses average strength at the point of attack. Gets pushed back into the pocket. Did not stand out during Senior Bowl practices.

Analysis:
        Rogers was a solid offensive threat at the fullback position on the college level but lacks the size and speed for Sunday football. His approach and intensity could help him catch on as a second fullback in a West Coast offense.

Comment

Hokies!!!!!!!

Comment

Meet Sam Rogers, the 2017 NFL Draft’s TD-scoring fullback
            The former walk-on is the highest-rated fullback in this year’s class.
            by Morgan Moriarty Apr 24, 2017, 9:00am EDT

Sam Rogers is entering the 2017 NFL Draft playing a position that’s becoming relatively rare in football, even in the league. Rogers, who played four seasons for the Virginia Tech Hokies, is ranked by CBS Sports as the No. 1 fullback in this class.

Fullbacks are mostly known as blockers, but in his college career, Rogers accounted for 692 yards rushing and another 802 yards receiving, along with 11 total touchdowns.

You see, Rogers doesn’t just score touchdowns — he scores them in style. Most recently, in the Belk Bowl against the Arkansas Razorbacks, the 5’10, 230-pounder caught a one-handed touchdown pass like it was nothing.

He also had a beautiful wheel route touchdown reception against the Ohio State Buckeyes in 2015.

One of his more exciting scores wasn’t caught in the end zone. He threw it. Rogers completed a 13-yard touchdown pass ... TO ANOTHER FULLBACK.

“That was pretty perfect,” the receiving fullback, Steven Peoples, said via ESPN.com. “Not many people can say they caught a touchdown pass from another fullback. It’s insane. It doesn’t seem real.”

Rogers jokingly said that the Hokies’ starting quarterback last season, Jerod Evans, may want to be looking over his shoulder.

“I don’t want to get into a debate of whether I should be the starting quarterback, but I told Jerod to watch out,” Rogers said. “My completion percentage is really good.”

The former Hokie will be looking to make it in a league that doesn’t use fullbacks like it used to.
            But there are some lasting figures who represent the position well in the NFL today, such as Jamize Olawale, James Develin, John Kuhn, Patrick DiMarco, Mike Tolbert, Kyle Juszczyk, and Marcel Reece. What has helped some is their versatility, which Rogers says he has.

“There's times I’ve lined up as an H-back. There's times I’ve lined up in the slot. I’ve lined up out wide. I’ve lined up as the lone running back. I’ve lined up as the fullback,” Rogers said via Greenville Online. “They have to put something down. I guess that’s just the two letters they put there.”

Even Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, whose Clemson Tigers faced Rogers and the Hokies in the ACC Championship last December, explained how dynamic fullbacks can be nowadays.

“The days of just guys getting in the I-formation, and here's the fullback and they're going to run the power play and then run the toss 10 times, you don't see that as much,” Swinney told Greenville Online. “There's still need for that for sure, but a lot of teams have gone to a little bit more of the hybrid tight end(,) guys that can do those same things but can also be on the line, are athletic enough to split out and create some matchups in the passing game.”

Comment

Comment

Don't sleep on the Hokies' Sam Rogers in April's NFL draft
                Jan 30, 2017
                Steve Helber | The Associated Press

By now, I’ve heard all the reasons why he won’t pan out in the NFL: He’s too small. NFL teams don’t use fullbacks anymore. He’s a great kid everybody loves ... but his best chance is to get signed as a free agent and claw his way on to a 53-man roster.

Enough already!

There’s a lot more to Rogers than a warm smile and a friendly demeanor. Hokies fans have become accustomed to him making big plays in critical times, but now the rest of the country is jumping on the bandwagon.

Remember this? I wasn’t around for this game, but it sure looked fun.

I would be shocked if Rogers didn’t get his name called in April. Since the end of the season, the Hokies' jack-of-all-trades has been gaining steam in NFL draft circles.

Here’s ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper’s take:

“He’s a versatile kid, a great-hard working football player who can give you a little running dimension, can catch the ball out of the backfield very, very effectively, block adequately,” Kiper told the Roanoke Times. “So there are a limited amount of opportunities for fullbacks, but I would think when you get into the fourth, fifth-round area is where I could see Sam Rogers coming off the board.”

I gained some interesting insight when I spoke recently to one of Rogers' high school friends. The friend said during their high school years in Mechanicsville, they would have parties and gatherings at Rogers' house. While everyone was carrying on and having a good time (like most high school kids do), Rogers would be endlessly running sprints, lifting weights and training himself in the backyard. This went on until 2 or 3 in the morning. It happened almost every weekend. No one could pry him from his workouts. It was just kind of known that Rogers would be working out while everyone else was partying.

Sure, naysayers will chalk it up to a ultra-motivated kid working toward his lifelong goal, but that’s just who Rogers is. He went from a walk-on afterthought to a scholarship contributor in Blacksburg. Don't be surprised to see his next move be from from a relatively unknown player to NFL commodity.

Rogers is pegged as the best fullback in the 2017 class. The former Hokie continued to pad his resume with a stellar performance Saturday at the Senior Bowl in Alabama. He didn’t get a ton of action, but Pro Football Focus gave Rogers the second-highest grade of any offensive player, behind only East Carolina receiver Zay Jones.

Rogers’ grade came mostly because of his superior blocking for the tailbacks. (His other stats were modest: one reception for 5 yards and one carry for 3 yards).

Here are a few of the impressions and takeaways from Rogers’ time at the senior bowl.

Emory Hunt @FBallGameplan
                [email protected] Sam Rogers route running makes him much more valuable than just a 'fullback' #SeniorBowl
                11:45 AM - 27 Jan 2017

Jordan McNamara @McNamaraUTH
                Sam Rogers will make himself a nice living on Sundays. Does a lot of things well to make produce for a team. #seniorbowl
                4:37 PM - 28 Jan 2017

There seems to be no consistent theme surrounding how Rogers would be used in the NFL; nobody really knows. My best guess is that he comes on the field in special packages. Obviously, he won’t be a featured back and likely won’t be used as a full-time fullback, either. Teams are adapting and getting creative and Rogers is versatile enough to give them a bevy of options.

For Redskins fans, one name that came to mind was Rock Cartwright. He managed to have a productive career in Washington from 2002-09, and while he was listed as a fullback, Cartwright played a variety of roles. The journeyman served as a blocker, change-of-pace back and reliable receiver. Rogers could see similar action.

Toby Gerhart is another guy who has a comparable skill set to Rogers. Gerhart is a bit bigger (6-foot, 235) than Rogers (5-11, 230) but they do many of the same things. The Vikings used Gerhart as relief for Adrian Petersen and also created packages to capitalize on his effectiveness as a receiver.

Here are some of Gerhart’s highlights to refresh your memory.

Don’t get me wrong, Rogers is a much better blocker than Gerhart and their styles aren’t identical. I could see the former Hokie take on a similar role.

The fact that Rogers is a high-character guy only adds to his draftworthiness. He’s one of the most genuine players I’ve ever come in contact with, and NFL squads care about that stuff. Virginia Tech fans, I know, are pulling hard for this kid, and they won't be surprised when he turns some heads at the next level.

Comment

The Rams mean business with the offense. He blocks so there us no complaints from me.!!!

Comment

From Walk-On To NFL Prospect, Virginia Tech’s Sam Rogers Has Grit
                    by Dean Mullen1 month agoFollow @Deannoelmullen

There was one person that enjoyed The Reese’s Senior Bowl more than me. Fullback Sam Rogers smashed his way into the NFL’s draft radar.

Attending my first Senior Bowl this past month was one the most enjoyable moments in my life sports wise. Seeing these guys on TV every Saturday battling it out, always topped my list for the week during the college football season. However, when I got on the field, these young men towered over me. The scene seemed to blow me away until something caught my eye. The 15-20 minute opening for reporters to grab players was just too short.

Be that as it may, there was a kid that was just was about my size smiling ear to ear. Ironically, he was one of the few that stood about the same height as me. Rogers almost looked like he surely belonged and was taking in every moment with anyone that wanted to talk to him. There was someone close to me that was also staring at Rogers so I had to ask. ‘Who is that guy?’ The guy basically responded “Ah That’s Sam. He’s probably the happiest guy here.”

Steve Helber from the Associated Press probably summed it up best.

“I gained some interesting insight when I spoke recently to one of Rogers’ high school friends. The friend said during their high school years in Mechanicsville, they would have parties and gatherings at Roger’s house. While everyone was carrying on and having a good time (like most high school kids do), Rogers would be endlessly running sprints, lifting weights and training himself in the backyard. This went on until 2 or 3 in the morning. It happened almost every weekend.”

Football must be in Sam’s blood. Rogers did come to Virginia Tech as a walk-on, but calling him Rudy would be disrespectful. Rogers will play on SUNDAYS. He’s projected to go anywhere from the 5th-7th round. Furthermore, the kid can play. Here’s just a couple of clips at Virginia Tech when he ran over an incoming tackler.

Sam Rogers took over at Fullback at Virginia Tech doing anything that was needed. He stands at 5-foot-11 and 231 lbs. Rogers has the ability to make plays on the next level with his BLUE COLLAR style of play. He can also catch balls out of the backfield. If a defender blinks on him, expect a collision and a locomotive crash. Rogers will run you over.

The fullback role is not as glamorous as some of the other positions in football. But Sam Rogers is the perfect fit for the role. The New Orleans Saints may have to at least take a look at him later in the draft. Sean Payton would salivate at having Sam in the Black and Gold. Moreover, there’s even more than football that defines him as an individual.

Comment

Pro Football Focus‏
                      @PFF 4m4 minutes ago
                      Pick 206: The Rams draft FB Sam Rogers from Virginia Tech. #NFLDraft #RamsDraft

Leads this FB class with an 85.0 pass-protection grade
                      Love that he's a quality pass protector, still all about helping Goff out.

Comment

Interesting prospect actually. He sounds like he will be the type of person who will good for team on and off the field.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SlhGeR4zkk

Guys, this guy is really going to help open our offense up. This guy is going to be all over the field - he can block from the FB, H-back, and TE positions. The highlight has him blocking for the dive, sealing the edge for the run, and also blocking the blindside rush from the TE position. He's catching down the seam, in the flats, and short slants. He can run it up the gut and on the edge. Hell, he even passes.

Overall, really love the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauceman View Post
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SlhGeR4zkk

Guys, this guy is really going to help open our offense up. This guy is going to be all over the field - he can block from the FB, H-back, and TE positions. The highlight has him blocking for the dive, sealing the edge for the run, and also blocking the blindside rush from the TE position. He's catching down the seam, in the flats, and short slants. He can run it up the gut and on the edge. Hell, he even passes.

Overall, really love the pick.
                            Your right. He is another weapon for the offense as he isn't strictly a lead blocker. Jack of all trades, master of none type player.!! I wonder what this means for the offense. Did McVay use a fullback in Washington or was it more three TE sets.

Comment

OK pick. I would have rather had Connor McDermott though.

Comment