RFE's Post-Draft Rams Roster Breakdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFE's Post-Draft Rams Roster Breakdown

Here is my breakdown of the roster after the draft by position (number of players likely to be on 53 man roster in parenthesis).

Quarterbacks (2-3)

Locks: Jared Goff, Sean Mannion
    Likely: Aaron Murray

I think the QBs who will be on the roster are already signed. The only question is whether the Rams will keep 2 or 3 QBs on the roster.

Running Back/Fullback (4-6)

Locks: Todd Gurley, Lance Dunbar
    Likely: Malcolm Brown, Sam Rogers

Aaron Green is the incumbent with the inside track to a roster spot, but UFA Justin Davis may have a shot as well.

Wide Receiver (5-6)

Locks: Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds
    Likely: Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper

I considered listing Austin and Cooper as “locks,” but the fact that the new regime has signed one and drafted two WRs makes me think that perhaps they are not all that high on the incumbents. That said, unless a trade can be worked out for Austin, he'’ll definitely be on the roster, and I’'d be very surprised if Cooper did not ultimately make it (particularly given the fact that he might be our best kickoff returner with Benny Cunningham gone). If there is a sixth spot, I’d say that Mike Thomas has the best chance, followed by Bradley Marquez and Nelson Spruce.

Tight End (2-4)

Locks: Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett
    Likely: Temmarick Hemmingway

Not a lot of uncertainty here.

Offensive Line (8-9)

Locks: Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Rob Havenstein, Greg Robinson
    Likely: n/a

Robinson is a lock only because of his contract. I’m not certain he’ll be a starter. I don'’t have any in the “likely” category because I don’t see any presumptive favorites among players like Cody Wichmann, Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal. I also think there is a significant likelihood that the Rams will add a veteran FA or two before the season starts.

Defensive Line (6-7)

Locks: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Dominique Easley
    Likely: Tyrunn Walker, Tanzel Smart, Ethan Westbrooks

I think the Rams are fairly well set here. There may be some camp battles, but these six should all be there on opening day.

Linebacker (6-8)

Locks: Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Alec Ogletree
    Likely: Mark Barron, Samson Ekuban, Ejuan Price, Josh Forrest

I could be 100% wrong, but I still think Barron is a misfit in this defense, and could be a guy the Rams might offer in a trade. Either way, my list is short on ILBs, so the Rams could look to add some veteran depth there.

Defensive Backs (7-9)

Locks: Trumaine Johnson, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mo Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson
    Likely: E.J. Gaines, Cody Davis

I think the Rams have enough for now. Given that Johnson, Alexander and Joyner are scheduled to be FAs in 2018, I think the Rams really want guys like Webster, Robey-Coleman and Johnson to succeed.

Special Teams (3)

Locks: Johnny Hekker, Greg Zuerlein, Jacob McQuaid
    Likely: n/a

This trio isn’t going anywhere.

So I’'m counting 29 locks for the roster, and 15 players who are likely to make it.

That leaves 9 entirely open spots for training camp.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-03-2017, 10:00 AM.

Cory Harkey will make the team, he had a very good year 2015. A lot of players dropped off last year. He's a far better blocker then Hemmingway. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
      Cory Harkey will make the team, he had a very good year 2015. A lot of players dropped off last year. He's a far better blocker then Hemmingway. Just my two cents.
      That's a fair point. Harkey and Hemmingway could, perhaps, be co-"likely" TEs.

Picking up on a point made in another thread, I think one could also consider Bradley Marquez as a possible "likely" under the Special Teams category, even if he's not one of the top 6 WRs.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post

That's a fair point. Harkey and Hemmingway could, perhaps, be co-"likely" TEs.

Picking up on a point made in another thread, I think one could also consider Bradley Marquez as a possible "likely" under the Special Teams category, even if he's not one of the top 6 WRs.
        I'd look at the receivers like this with your "Lock" and "Likely" as follows... Locks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds
        Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper. The rest are all Likely to grab the one or two spots. I think Bradley Marquez and Spruce will have to fight for it and if they both play well enough to make a case to keep seven, that could happen. I'd be shocked to see the Rams trade Tavon this year and have only one proven receiver. Next year he's not a huge cap hit maybe they move on if he can't excel in McVay offense. I'm hoping we see tavon catch the ball 25-35 yards down field and more then a few even deeper. Use his speed to stretch the field someone has to run with him at minimum. Gonna be fun to see how it shakes out.

Comment

Speaking of "co-likely's", I'd say the Rams' pickup of Purcell today puts the veteran nose tackle backup spot as a major battle between him and Tyrunn in training camp. I think what that does, is it actually takes Tyrunn out of the likely spot. I believe one of them will stick, but neither are now likely. More competition, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
            Speaking of "co-likely's", I'd say the Rams' pickup of Purcell today puts the veteran nose tackle backup spot as a major battle between him and Tyrunn in training camp. I think what that does, is it actually takes Tyrunn out of the likely spot. I believe one of them will stick, but neither are now likely. More competition, the better.
            If the Rams keep only 6, I'd say that those two are in for a battle (I'd also say that Ethan Westbrooks really needs to earn his spot). They could keep 7 DL, though, which could leave room for both of them to find a role.

Comment

Now that Tavon is going to miss OTAs because of wrist surgery, those other WRs will certainly be given plenty of snaps to make an impression.

Comment

If the Rams keep only 6, I'd say that those two are in for a battle (I'd also say that Ethan Westbrooks really needs to earn his spot). They could keep 7 DL, though, which could leave room for both of them to find a role.
                I agree. Westbrook might be googling tattoo removal after training camp

Comment

Originally posted by Azul e Oro View Post
                  Now that Tavon is going to miss OTAs because of wrist surgery, those other WRs will certainly be given plenty of snaps to make an impression.
                  Definitely. I think that it could also be an opportunity for Pharoh Cooper to show his ability to do run some the gadget plays (reverses, bubble screens, etc.) that Tavon has been running.

Comment

Definitely. I think that it could also be an opportunity for Pharoh Cooper to show his ability to do run some the gadget plays (reverses, bubble screens, etc.) that Tavon has been running.
                    I'd go even further & say I'd really like to see TA focused on being a WR when he returns. By all means, use him as a decoy on the occasional reverse, but the hope of the odd homerun punt return & watching him take a handoff like a Hobbit running into an army of Orcs isn't worth it, compared to making him a legit threat downfield now that we may have some guys who will actually have to be respected by a defense while consistently running precise well-designed routes & having the hands to earn The Goffling's trust.

Comment

I think some of these battles for roster spots will settle them selves as sadly last year we had guys not make it out of the preseason games. If that happens as likely it may then things take care of themselves. For instance Marquez and Spruce both got hurt and are possiable targets again as they are not powerfully built guys and Marquez especially on small side. Just one example... Also we have a new coaching staff will be interesting to see who they target as the top guys at each position... You would think they will be leaning on the guys they brought in and drafted making the team more about their guys not the previous regime's. etc. Seen some mention Harkey I was really high on him till last season, this whole team whiffed on blocks regularly I would not bank on Harks making the team looks like we are leaning more towards the FB position and less on the move tight end like Hark. Again just a observation...
                      Last edited by Randart; -05-05-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X