No announcement yet.

LA Rams fans in California.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I think competition is a good thing so having two teams push each other can't hurt. As far as following a the Rams have a huge leg up and it's not on the roster it's the years they spent here prior to moving. I was caught off guard to see the fan base that was here waiting on the Rams. I'm also surprised at how the Chargers not been received early on in LA. It's been a train wreck and a PR nightmare. I don't see generational Ram fans bailing on the Rams if the Chargers play better early on and the Charger make the playoffs will there be buzz for sure. But I think the Chargers have a huge challenge to build a following and it won't happen with a early run into the playoffs.

I don't know how much I will support the Chargers, I guess it will be like all the other teams in LA, you know thew ones Clippers, Angeles, Ducks, UCLA (for Mike). I'm watching the Ducks now in the playoffs but don't follow them at all. I guess in the back of my head I won't want the Chargers to outplay the Rams but if they do, I'm sure I'll pull for them but until it happens I'm not sure how I will respond.

Comment

Originally posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
      I also live 1/2 way between L.A. and SF.
      Oh yeah? Where you at ramsanddodgers? I'm in san luis obispo county (atascadero)

Comment

Originally posted by GroundDog39 View Post

I've noticed the Raiders always get a bad rap throughout California. What is it about the Raider fans which make them so disliked.???
        No it's not a stereotype. Not entirely at least.

Putting you and your team down is the primary way many of them root for their team. They're very "in your face" and like mentioned above, very thuggish. They're probably fine people, but as soon as they put on their Raider gear, they're flat out jerks. Raider fans don't say "raiders are #1" when they cheer if they have the option to yell "your team sucks" instead.

I've been to lots of Rams road games... the ones in Oakland are the ones where trash will get thrown at you. Heck, even at a Rams home game in St. Louis, my brothers and I were shocked by the disrespectful way the Raider fans treated other people. Low class...

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

Oh yeah? Where you at ramsanddodgers? I'm in san luis obispo county (atascadero)
          I am on the Mesa, just South of Arroyo Grande. I have a sister in Atascadero, on Ortega, off Santa Barbara RD.
          RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

No it's not a stereotype. Not entirely at least.

Putting you and your team down is the primary way many of them root for their team. They're very "in your face" and like mentioned above, very thuggish. They're probably fine people, but as soon as they put on their Raider gear, they're flat out jerks. Raider fans don't say "raiders are #1" when they cheer if they have the option to yell "your team sucks" instead.

I've been to lots of Rams road games... the ones in Oakland are the ones where trash will get thrown at you. Heck, even at a Rams home game in St. Louis, my brothers and I were shocked by the disrespectful way the Raider fans treated other people. Low class...

They sound like a bunch of bullies and cowards.!! Going to a football game should be an enjoyable experience and no one should be made to feel uncomfortable and have a target on their back. The Raider's built this bad reputation in their early days and it sounds like the fans think its there duty to keep the tradition going. It could be worse, at least there not hooligans like the ones we used to see at soccer matches throughout Europe. Thankfully, nowadays the hooligan element in GB is a thing of the past. After a massive, crackdown at football grounds all over the country in the late 80's. It's only in places like Russia and Eastern Europe where hooliganism is still rife. The Russians, in particular, have the nastiest, most violent fans you'll ever wish to meet.
            Las Vegas is going to have its hands full when the Raiders move there in 2020. What do you say, Good Riddance I suppose.!!
            Last edited by GroundDog39; -05-20-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundDog39 View Post

They sound like a bunch of bullies and cowards.!! Going to a football game should be an enjoyable experience and no one should be made to feel uncomfortable and have a target on their back. The Raider's built this bad reputation in their early days and it sounds like the fans think its there duty to keep the tradition going. It could be worse, at least there not hooligans like the ones we used to see at soccer matches throughout Europe. Thankfully, nowadays the hooligan element in GB is a thing of the past. After a massive, crackdown at football grounds all over the country in the late 80's. It's only in places like Russia and Eastern Europe where hooliganism is still rife. The Russians, in particular, have the nastiest, most violent fans you'll ever wish to meet.
              Las Vegas is going to have its hands full when the Raiders move there in 2020. What do you say, Good Riddance I suppose.!!
              You know, I considered using hooligans as an example, but I didn't think it was quite fair. While Raider fans insult all other fans, including kids (I saw a grown a$$ man seriously shove a little 12 year old kid because the kid yelled back at them), you can mostly avoid a fight if you just keep your head down and refuse to react to their incitement. Hooligans on the other hand, will (or I guess used to) just flat out sucker punch you for wearing the wrong color. So yeah, it didn't quite fit, but many are towards that side of the spectrum. Hasn't been as bad the last few years though... maybe the whole "pc" thing, or the fact that there's cameras everywhere are stymieing the worst offenders

Comment

You know, I considered using hooligans as an example, but I didn't think it was quite fair. While Raider fans insult all other fans, including kids (I saw a grown a$$ man seriously shove a little 12 year old kid because the kid yelled back at them), you can mostly avoid a fight if you just keep your head down and refuse to react to their incitement. Hooligans on the other hand, will (or I guess used to) just flat out sucker punch you for wearing the wrong color. So yeah, it didn't quite fit, but many are towards that side of the spectrum. Hasn't been as bad the last few years though... maybe the whole "pc" thing, or the fact that there's cameras everywhere are stymieing the worst offenders

I think you were right not to use hooliganism as the best example in describing how these Raider fans carry themselves on gameday. Hooliganism is based purely on violence and causing damage to the rival team's property. (Cars, coaches, etc.) Which sounds unlike these Raider fans and the way there acting on game-day. Supporters at grounds in Europe are nearly always segregated, which I know doesn't happen in America. Both sets of fans will each have their own set(firm) of hooligans who'll wait for the best opportunity to attack each other. Usually, the violence will happen outside the stadium, either before, or after the match. These so called fans only represent a small minority as the majority of fans at games are good, honest law abiding citizens.

Comment

I grew up in LA county (beach area called the south bay) and now live in Huntington Beach (Orange County) for the past 25 years. I have season tickets to the Los Angeles Rams and go to all the games. The team has a very hard core fan base which will not be swayed by the Chargers move, but not what it once was back in the '60's and '70's. But that is to be expected with the loss of the team to St Louis for 22 years. Many fans were so upset at the move that they gave on on the NFL. In those 22 years, new football fans were born and raised, and unless they were born or raised in a "Rams house" they became fans of other teams. LA is a city of transients. People move to LA for the weather, for work, or just because it's a place to get noticed I guess. It's not like Green Bay or Cleveland, or Chicago where they're born and raised into the local teams. They don't have the transient population that LA does. So it will never have the same local alliance that some other cities do. Getting that die-hard fan base back for the Rams will be a long road and take years. It will also help f they win more than 4 games a year.

But my point is, LA is an NFL town and not necessarily a Rams town. I've made that point on my FB account with other Rams fans by performing my own little "fan audit." Over the past month I've set up a spreadsheet on my phone and every time I see a jersey, hat, license plate, decal, etc... on a fan or on their car, I add that team count to my spreadsheet. (it also makes my drive home from work a little less boring while I'm sitting in traffic!) My "audit" has been conducted from Southeast Los Angeles to north Orange County. To date, I have encountered fans of 22 of the 32 NFL teams while traveling to and from work, at the golf course, while at the mall or out to dinner and even at the local swap meet. I can guarantee that you would never see this type of diversity in say, Green Bay, Dallas or Boston. It's LA, and fans moving here bring in their loyalty and fans born in the past 20 years picked a team for other reasons (bandwagoners, mostly) The team with the most representation in my audit so far has been the Raiders, Rams and Cowboys with nearly 52% of the total count. It has been interesting to note that there are nearly as many Cowboys fans here as Rams fans. Assuming that all fans display their allegiance at the same rate, I'd say the audit has been very representative of what NFL football is in LA. It's a melting pot of teams and their fans.

BTW.... The Chargers are way behind in count with only 7 fans proudly displaying their loyalty. So I'm thinking the Chargers move to LA will have little to NO impact on the fan base with the Rams. I'm not sure where they're going to get their fans from to be honest. They were barely supported in San Diego, and now that they're in LA, I'm pretty certain their little stadium of 27,000 fans will be packed with people who are just interested in going to an NFL game. In fact, I plan on attending a game if I can get a ticket just to see a game played in such a small intimate setting like the Stub Hub Center. It will be a fantastic place to watch football, unlike the cavernous and open LA Coliseum where the Rams are stuck for the next three seasons. I'm sure that there will be fans that just want to root for a team and will be swayed to the Chargers games because of the stadium and they're actually going to be fun to watch, unlike our team with their offensive ineptitude. I have a fellow worker in fact that did just that. He grew up here in the LA area, likes football but didn't have a team to call his own. He had a family member work with the Rams last year as a nutritionist and so he began wearing Rams gear and became a new fan of the Rams. ....that lasted one season. He entered a lottery for Chargers tickets and got picked and now is a proud owner of Charger season tickets. ...so, there are those fans which will switch teams at the drop of a hat. LOL

As to the Raiders fans in LA. You either love 'em or hate 'em. There is no in between. Their fans are usually the most obnoxious fans around, with the Whiners coming in a close second.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
                    I grew up in LA county (beach area called the south bay) and now live in Huntington Beach (Orange County) for the past 25 years. I have season tickets to the Los Angeles Rams and go to all the games. The team has a very hard core fan base which will not be swayed by the Chargers move, but not what it once was back in the '60's and '70's. But that is to be expected with the loss of the team to St Louis for 22 years. Many fans were so upset at the move that they gave on on the NFL. In those 22 years, new football fans were born and raised, and unless they were born or raised in a "Rams house" they became fans of other teams. LA is a city of transients. People move to LA for the weather, for work, or just because it's a place to get noticed I guess. It's not like Green Bay or Cleveland, or Chicago where they're born and raised into the local teams. They don't have the transient population that LA does. So it will never have the same local alliance that some other cities do. Getting that die-hard fan base back for the Rams will be a long road and take years. It will also help f they win more than 4 games a year.

But my point is, LA is an NFL town and not necessarily a Rams town. I've made that point on my FB account with other Rams fans by performing my own little "fan audit." Over the past month I've set up a spreadsheet on my phone and every time I see a jersey, hat, license plate, decal, etc... on a fan or on their car, I add that team count to my spreadsheet. (it also makes my drive home from work a little less boring while I'm sitting in traffic!) My "audit" has been conducted from Southeast Los Angeles to north Orange County. To date, I have encountered fans of 22 of the 32 NFL teams while traveling to and from work, at the golf course, while at the mall or out to dinner and even at the local swap meet. I can guarantee that you would never see this type of diversity in say, Green Bay, Dallas or Boston. It's LA, and fans moving here bring in their loyalty and fans born in the past 20 years picked a team for other reasons (bandwagoners, mostly) The team with the most representation in my audit so far has been the Raiders, Rams and Cowboys with nearly 52% of the total count. It has been interesting to note that there are nearly as many Cowboys fans here as Rams fans. Assuming that all fans display their allegiance at the same rate, I'd say the audit has been very representative of what NFL football is in LA. It's a melting pot of teams and their fans.

BTW.... The Chargers are way behind in count with only 7 fans proudly displaying their loyalty. So I'm thinking the Chargers move to LA will have little to NO impact on the fan base with the Rams. I'm not sure where they're going to get their fans from to be honest. They were barely supported in San Diego, and now that they're in LA, I'm pretty certain their little stadium of 27,000 fans will be packed with people who are just interested in going to an NFL game. In fact, I plan on attending a game if I can get a ticket just to see a game played in such a small intimate setting like the Stub Hub Center. It will be a fantastic place to watch football, unlike the cavernous and open LA Coliseum where the Rams are stuck for the next three seasons. I'm sure that there will be fans that just want to root for a team and will be swayed to the Chargers games because of the stadium and they're actually going to be fun to watch, unlike our team with their offensive ineptitude. I have a fellow worker in fact that did just that. He grew up here in the LA area, likes football but didn't have a team to call his own. He had a family member work with the Rams last year as a nutritionist and so he began wearing Rams gear and became a new fan of the Rams. ....that lasted one season. He entered a lottery for Chargers tickets and got picked and now is a proud owner of Charger season tickets. ...so, there are those fans which will switch teams at the drop of a hat. LOL

As to the Raiders fans in LA. You either love 'em or hate 'em. There is no in between. Their fans are usually the most obnoxious fans around, with the Whiners coming in a close second.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
                    Thanks for such a clear and informative post. Great job.
                    Last edited by GroundDog39; -05-22-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X