Greg Robinson traded to Lions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Sure, Matthews isn't an All Pro, but as a reliable and effective starter for a playoff team, he's pretty clearly leaps and bounds over Robinson. The fact that Lewan has emerged as possibly the best of the bunch only further illustrates how bad the Robinson pick ended up being. I'd take either any day of the week at this point over the guy who couldn't even cut it at RT.
    I mean, yeah, of course. I'd rather have forfeited that pick rather than take GRob in hindsight, at least you'd have 8-9MM in cap space per season rather than a bust. Now, with that being said, my point was more "this is a complete guessing game and for everyone that wanted Matthews there, sure, it would have been a better outcome than it turned out to be, but it would have hardly been the RIGHT one either".

There were 18 pro bowlers in that draft, not including Aaron Donald. Heck, Matthews wasn't even the best LT out of the draft, so that pick that "could have been" hardly makes me feel better. Now, if we were talking OBJ, Mack, or a Mike Evans? Hell yes.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
      I mean, yeah, of course. I'd rather have forfeited that pick rather than take GRob in hindsight, at least you'd have 8-9MM in cap space per season rather than a bust. Now, with that being said, my point was more "this is a complete guessing game and for everyone that wanted Matthews there, sure, it would have been a better outcome than it turned out to be, but it would have hardly been the RIGHT one either".

There were 18 pro bowlers in that draft, not including Aaron Donald. Heck, Matthews wasn't even the best LT out of the draft, so that pick that "could have been" hardly makes me feel better. Now, if we were talking OBJ, Mack, or a Mike Evans? Hell yes.
      It's as if Jake Matthews wronged your family in a past life or something, and you won't let go of the grudge. It's kind of remarkable to see you go out of your way to not acknowledge he should have been the pick, now by bringing up guys who realistically weren't in the discussion for the Rams' top pick in 2014.

Obviously Matthews has not become the best player selected from the 2014, but it's pretty unquestionable at this point that he would have been a significantly better pick for the Rams than Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post

Of course the draft is a guessing game, but that doesn't mean you can't minimize risk. It was universally accepted that Robinson was not polished, had several technique issues, and was going to be a project. IMO, the Rams were in no position to take a gamble with the number 2 pick on a guy with obvious question marks. They should have learned a lesson from Jason Smith, who was also projected as a player who was "raw", and was going to need a lot of development.

In contrast, Matthews was universally accepted as fundamentally sound, polished, and not needing much development. A team in the Rams position, with years of OL issues affecting the offense, needed to play the percentages, stop screwing around with "projects", and draft someone who could come right in and help solidify the OL. Someone like Matthews IMO. Is he a Pro Bowler? Did he immediately light it up from day one? No, but as Nick pointed out, he's a solid starter, who is part of an OL that sets up one of the best offenses in the NFL. And he continues to improve. If Matthews was doing for the Rams, what he's doing for the Falcons, saying he was the "right" choice would not be difficult for me, regardless of hindsight.

That said, it's water under the bridge, and hopefully McVay and his staff can get the OL in a position to be effective, and at the very least, serviceable.

Comment

If you say we should have taken Matthews, that's fine, but you then must also acknowledge that Chris Long was the right pick. Both players, though not quite elite, were the best options at their positions and have been productive players.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
            If you say we should have taken Matthews, that's fine, but you then must also acknowledge that Chris Long was the right pick. Both players, though not quite elite, were the best options at their positions and have been productive players.
            No argument from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
              No argument from me.
              Nor from me.

Comment

Interesting turn to the discussion, as if it wasn't for Chris Long forcing a holding call against Jake Matthews, Matthews is a Superbowl champion
                @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
                  Ding, ding, ding, ding.......chicken dinner.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

One word: Hallelujah!

Comment

Working...
                    X