Mike Thomas suspended for 4 games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Thomas suspended for 4 games

Apparently for performance enhancing substances.

Terrible timing, as the WR position will be one of the more hotly contested battles during camp. Right now, there are at least nine players (Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Williams, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Nelson Spruce, Paul McRoberts, Bradley Marquez) competing for roster spots and playing time at the position.

For everyone's information, he will be available for all preseason activities, including games. This doesn't go into effect until the week of game 1.

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post
      For everyone's information, he will be available for all preseason activities, including games. This doesn't go into effect until the week of game 1.
      Interesting point. For a guy like Thomas, who is trying to earn a roster spot, clearly its better for him to have a shot to show what he can do in preseason. Of course, he’ll have to really show a lot for the Rams to deem him worthy of making the roster despite his early season unavailability.

Comment

For the life of me I do not understand this faux pas by today's athletes. He will have a tough road to make this team........

Comment

In the long run, it might just be better to "fire" him now...

You have to have a commitment to the team to be there... Anyone know the stats if this kind of thing is a one-of in a career?

Still 4 games or 25% of a season--I look at it is someone like Thomas worth the risk or a roaster spot...my way of thinking is that "firing" Thomas now sends a message to the rest of the team

Comment

Can Maybe go to the practice squad for the suspension? This is a huge shame for him as Coach McVay has been singing high praise of his progress and what he was showing in OTA's! He seemed to be on a fast track to make the team and maybe be a big part of the receiving core! I am very sad for Mike! As I would much rather have him than say a Bradley Marquez etc! I think our head coach if Mike keeps showing up good in Camp and the preseason will find a way to keep Mike but that is just my opinion... Like Goff, Mike Thomas had a rough rookie season but if he is that much improved I would prefer to keep him. Just my Nat Random thoughts on this subject. Also allot of supplements are said to be ok to use but then later the athletes find out what was in that thing was banned by their sport. Maria Sharapova can attest to this!
            Last edited by Randart; 1 week ago.

Comment

Just remember that a few years ago we lost a player to this issue, and it was later determined that it was not the player's fault. IIRC, the "illegal substance" was not listed in the ingredients. Mike Thomas could be "innocent" of intentional rule breaking.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
                Just remember that a few years ago we lost a player to this issue, and it was later determined that it was not the player's fault. IIRC, the "illegal substance" was not listed in the ingredients. Mike Thomas could be "innocent" of intentional rule breaking.

gap
                Exactly. Lots of players get caught in this net every year. Certainly there are some knucklehead players. But the NFL has got some knucklehead policies and practices. We don't have enough info to know which is operative in this case. It's a real shame for Thomas, who apparently has taken a leap from year one and has real speed, downfield ability, and contested catch ability. He could've been a valuable asset to the offense, depending on what kind of downfield play we can get from Tavon and Josh Reynolds. The reality is that a young team with a young QB and a new coaching staff is going to be developing and evolving a lot in the first half of the season, and this suspension really dims Thomas' chance to make a significant contribution this year, and may cost him a final roster spot. He may find himself waived and then on someone's practice squad, when it looked like he was ready to compete and contribute. Shame.

Comment

As others have mentioned, we don't know the whole story here, but the vast majority of suspensions are legit. We'll see what happens with Thomas, but with so many receivers vying for a few spots, I'll bet it won't take much to get booted from the process, and a 4 game suspension is problematic for a player who has not shown much. If I was Thomas, I'd be worried.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                    As others have mentioned, we don't know the whole story here, but the vast majority of suspensions are legit. We'll see what happens with Thomas, but with so many receivers vying for a few spots, I'll bet it won't take much to get booted from the process, and a 4 game suspension is problematic for a player who has not shown much. If I was Thomas, I'd be worried.
                    Maybe it's wrong, but I don't give guys the benefit of the doubt anymore- not after the litany of lies we've routinely heard from various people day after day in the world of sports and elsewhere. If the guy has been wrongly fingered, it's shame and hopefully the injustice is rectified, but more likely than not it's legit and is entirely on Thomas. And with the competition at wide receiver, he's a complete fool to have put himself in this position.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                      Maybe it's wrong, but I don't give guys the benefit of the doubt anymore- not after the litany of lies we've routinely heard from various people day after day in the world of sports and elsewhere. If the guy has been wrongly fingered, it's shame and hopefully the injustice is rectified, but more likely than not it's legit and is entirely on Thomas. And with the competition at wide receiver, he's a complete fool to have put himself in this position.
                      Yep, when in doubt about using any substance, DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
                        In the long run, it might just be better to "fire" him now...

You have to have a commitment to the team to be there
                        My thoughts precisely. We have many other options right now and he's shown no resemblence to a star WR. He must be accountable for his actions and decisions.

Go Rams!

Comment

Soley a special team issue, if that. No way was this guy making an impact as a receiver.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post

gap
                            Believe that was David Vobora, who ended up suing the supplement company and won
                            But he has done really well with his post NFL career following being a Mr Irrelevant so im sure he is all good
                            @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Believe that was David Vobora, who ended up suing the supplement company and won
                              But he has done really well with his post NFL career following being a Mr Irrelevant so im sure he is all good
                              Yep, that's him. Thanks for reminding me of the player's name. I had forgotten he was a "Mr. Irrelevant" selection.

gap

Comment

Working...
                              X