Some Observations From The Game In Oakland Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Observations From The Game In Oakland Last Night

Itís only a preseason win, but IMO, coming out of the gate with two in a row, lays the foundation for the culture change McVay has been preaching. There were a lot of smiles on the sideline, which after 2016, is a welcomed sight.

Goff looked great last night. He was confident, threw with accuracy, calmly moved around the pocket to avoid pressure, made multiple reads, completed some nice throws on the run, hit receivers on short routes, intermediate routes, and made a perfect deep throw to Watkins in the end zone (which was unfortunately broken up), was smart with his decisions, spread the ball around, and was efficient. If he can carry that through to the regular season, weíve got something.

During the broadcast, Marshall Faulk, a pretty smart guy, said the future of the Rams at QB is bright. Iím starting to agree.

Sammy Watkins surprisingly played on nearly every down with the first team offense. So much for easing him in. He didnít light it up with a lot of big catches, but he still made a huge impact by occupying two Raider defenders on virtually every play. That opened things up for not only the other receivers, but Gurley as well.

Speaking of Gurley, he looked like, well, Todd Gurley. Great to see him effectively running with confidence, behind a vastly improved offensive line.

Hard to get an accurate read on the defense, or what impact Donaldís absence is having, as he, Quinn, Barron, Webster, and Robey-Coleman were all out last night. The sooner everybody gets back on the field, the better for creating a functioning unit, and continuity.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Cooper Kupp continues to impress, and looks like the real deal. He always seems to know how to be in the right place at the right time. You canít teach that.

Speaking of receivers, they are doing so well as a group, Iím forgetting all about that other guy who canít stay on the field.

Fumbles werenít eliminated, but last night was a huge improvement. IMO, thatís in big part to coaching, and teaching. How refreshing is that compared to Fisherís ďcountry clubĒ approach to problem areas that never seemed to improve.

I got a kick out of the Rams having to call timeout on offense when it looked like Goff wasnít getting the play in a timely manner. He looked frustrated, and walked to the sideline with McVay smiling and trying to calm him down. Reminded me of the same types of situations Warner and Martz used to have. I mention it because IMO, it shows Goff has confidence, knows the offense, and is developing into a QB who knows what he wants to do, and needs to do.

Jake McQuaide must be popular with his teammates. After he made a tackle on special teams, half the players on the bench came onto the field with huge smiles to slap him on the shoulder in congratulations.

I really liked Benny Cunningham, but I think the Rams are in great shape with Brown and Davis.

Overall, hard to find much fault with the game last night. So many things to be encouraged about, so many guys playing well on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to the ďdress rehearsalĒ next Saturday against the Chargers.

I agree with almost all. I still have a little concern about Gurley. He definitely looked more confident. It still concerns me that he seems to wait too long to head up field on outside plays. He's too easily forced out, or trapped. This just might be that he is saving it for the regular season. Davis did a MUCH better job holding onto the ball. I like that kid. I know it's pre-season, but I liked the win. We fought for the win. All-in-all, we made a decent showing.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Comment

Nice write up......It is just pre season but there were good signs. I knew nothing about Kupp prior to Rams drafting him. He is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. So refreshing to see a WR catch the ball. Everett has impressed me as well. Seems like both guys have potential to be GOOD picks. I loved seeing the Rams actually drive down the field at end of game and put up 6. Reynolds TD catch reminded me of Billy Waddy catch in SB XIV Yes, that drive was at the end of an exhibition game. Yes, nobody playing is probably a starter on either team but I think it could be a good growth point for this team. I like Sean M, he is from my area and I do not think I have ever seen him so giddy. I am sure he had family and friends there since his hometown is about a 35 minute BART ride away. I am not ready to say this team will win the NFC West but I am seeing some offensive depth I have not seen in sometime

I made a bet with another member about Sean starting over Goff sometime this season. I am very happy to lose this bet. Goff looked like an NFL QB last night. Calm, cool and displaying leadership ability.

It is only pre season. It is only pre season. It is only pre season. But we have potential.......and a light at end of tunnel that I do not think it a train......

Comment

These are the types of positive things you like to see in the pre-season and provide hope for the future. Although I think intelligent fans recognize it's premature to think all our ills are solved on the basis of two pre-season "wins" and a new coaching staff, it would be a disservice to not acknowledge the improvement we've seen on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully, that continues. Goff indeed looked sharp, and Gurley in a brief stint looked much better. The receivers looked decent, and Kupp could be the big "fan favorite" this season.

Oddly, I'm concerned more about the defense than the offense. The absence of All-Pro Aaron Donald will hurt us dearly during the regular season and to think differently is to kid ourselves. This HAS TO get resolved. We are thin in the secondary. And to think at one time we had 5 legitimate defensive ends on this roster, we're all of a sudden woefully stretched out: Quinn's brief days as an elite sack master appear over and has been moved to OLB. Easley is out for the year. Hayes and Sims are gone. What's left? Wade Phillips is a helluva defensive coordinator, but thinking he can get it done without personnel is delusional.

Comment

Nice to see Kupp doing well. Those of us that live in eastern Washington are not surprised. We've been witness to his excellence for years.

Kupp grew up and went to HS within an hours drive from my location. So, I'm biased, but I think he is going to be a great one.

He was part of the Davis HS team that won the 2012 state basketball title.

Last edited by Curly Horns; -08-20-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Nice post Mike

Here are a few of my thoughts.

If you saw the Raiders broadcast which was pointed at the Raiders side line most of the night. If you did not know who was the youngest coach ever and in his first year, you'd say it was the Raiders. They where clearly frustrated trying to stop the Rams. A lot of finger pointing and animation. McVay seemed to once again be in control of his emotions.

Rams are not creating nearly as many pre-snap and post snap penalties .

Bunch routes galore. Love the use of them, these receivers are weaving in and out crossing each other within 3 yards of scrimmage. It's like Three-card Monte, for the BD, he's like where's my guy, I lost him.

Gurley got his power back, ran hard and move guys backwards.

Can't say enough about all the rookies so far so I will say this. Funny how without a first round pick Les drafts players that fit the system and they seem to be showing. Unlike the last few years where we where told it takes years to get some of these guys to produce. So was it Les or Fisher that sucked. Right now it looks like only one of them did.

With guys like Spruce, Mike Thomas, Cooper and Reynolds we will actually have high quality depth at receiver and can develop them into really good players without having to contribute a ton. Those guys might be better today then what we had as starters over the years... Pettis, Salas, Gibson and the like.

Sam Rogers really like his story but not seeing enough. Harley should be the guy at FB.

My brother text me last night to let me know Coons played soccer with his son in highs school. I can't understand is why we have him punting he almost cost us the game twice. Can't add another punter on a 93 man roster?

Oh yeah Goff that guy can't play period! Man listening to the pregame radio Rams broadcast with Eric Davis and the guys. You'd think Goff is stupid, non athletic, weak arm, not accurate, soft, spoiled. ok that might be a bit much on my part but this week in the fake sports media it was getting out of control!
            From Goff had two of the worst practices this week, he threw five picks. He was throwing to the wrong guys in practice on and on... enough already. what is it with local sports media where they pile on players, this feels a lot like Bradford all over again, dude can't do enough. This is why I did not want him playing last year in a system and for a coach that would only ask him to quote manage a game. Goff clearly has what it takes and what it takes is having decent players and a scheme that helps ALL the 11 players succeed.

I like McVay a lot seems like he has a plan and is working it Go Rams!

Fake Sports News

Comment

The jury is out. Goff did himself no favors by appearing to be all of those adjectives upon first impression (Hard Knocks) and didn't impress in his brief stint last season as a starter. However, the early returns thus far in the pre-season appear to be good- improvement with accuracy, command, decision-making, etc. I've seen enough to be hopeful, and I'm anxious to see what kind of player he can become.

As for media criticism in general, I'd say 'get used to it". We gave up the farm to get him, and criticism- fair or not- comes with the territory. The Rams are now in LA, not St. Louis, and as such, media scrutiny will be much greater. I live in an area (NJ/NY) where the local sports media is BRUTAL on a daily basis, so these comments come as no shock. At least California athletes have the trade-off of year-round good weather.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Oddly, I'm concerned more about the defense than the offense. The absence of All-Pro Aaron Donald will hurt us dearly during the regular season and to think differently is to kid ourselves. This HAS TO get resolved. We are thin in the secondary. And to think at one time we had 5 legitimate defensive ends on this roster, we're all of a sudden woefully stretched out: Quinn's brief days as an elite sack master appear over and has been moved to OLB. Easley is out for the year. Hayes and Sims are gone. What's left? Wade Phillips is a helluva defensive coordinator, but thinking he can get it done without personnel is delusional.

The jury is out. Goff did himself no favors by appearing to be all of those adjectives upon first impression (Hard Knocks) and didn't impress in his brief stint last season as a starter. However, the early returns thus far in the pre-season appear to be good- improvement with accuracy, command, decision-making, etc. I've seen enough to be hopeful, and I'm anxious to see what kind of player he can become.

As for media criticism in general, I'd say 'get used to it". We gave up the farm to get him, and criticism- fair or not- comes with the territory. The Rams are now in LA, not St. Louis, and as such, media scrutiny will be much greater. I live in an area (NJ/NY) where the local sports media is BRUTAL on a daily basis, so these comments come as no shock. At least California athletes have the trade-off of year-round good weather.
                On the D line, the loss of Easley is a real concern agreed. As far as Quinn, I'm more concerned with his health then the position change. He' still going to be primarily a pass rusher in this defense. He may even excel in it some are comparing the move to DeMarcus Ware career path. Hayes and Sims loss, I like Connor Barwin signing a lot. He was in the face of Carr when he threw the pick, he's an active pass rusher form the OLB spot. Matt Longacre and Cory Littleton are up and coming. Littleton was voted best player of the rookies last year by the players. Ejuan Price is another guy that we have to start to develop. The defense ends are now OLBs I think we have solid depth.

One of my issues is the Rams controlled the message on hard knocks they had final approval. If your image of Goff is he's dumb as a rock (not sure it is) well that's on the Rams FO. As I said last year the PR for a guy as you put it " We gave up the farm to get him" was incredibility poor from Hard Knocks to Fisher saying he's the third string and then not dressing him week one. Consistently saying he's not ready to play at this level until magically after the train or Fisher lack of a real plan for Goff, comes off the rails, he's ready. The Rams had to know they where moving up to take Goff or a QB. But yet they did not go out and improve the O line, nor upgrade the skill players or the scheme... but this rookie coach does all of the above. This rookie coach has a plan a scheme that will complement what Goff did best in college day one! I'm with you I'm anxious to see what kind of player he can become as well.

As for as the media goes I get it, most want to be bad cop get some clicks or views on their twitter account. It's the nature of the beast I guess. It's so over the top though it kills me. Goff throws five INTs in practice over two days, Ok how many TDs did he throw over the same two day period? How many passes did he throw over those two days of practice? Because the narrative or poor PR by the Rams, mishandling of Goff in year one he now has this negative connotation to bear. The good news is Goff does not seemed fazed by it maybe he's just too dumb. He's gonna let his play speak for him not the Rams poor management of a very high profile draft pick and future face of the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
                  The good news is Goff does not seemed fazed by it maybe he's just too dumb. He's gonna let his play speak for him not the Rams poor management of a very high profile draft pick and future face of the franchise.
                  Bingo. Through all the adversity last year, Goff never got rattled, never let all the negative criticism faze him, and never wavered in his promise to turn things around. The whole "dumb" thing is ridiculous. Intelligence wise, he scored very high on his Wonderlic test (36), and the infamous comment about not knowing what play he had just called on "Hard Knocks", was taken completely out of context. He didn't know what play he called, because Boras screwed it up, and gave him incorrect verbage, something he specifically told Goff, on camera. So let's put that to rest, and as you noted Rambos, let him prove himself on the field.

Comment

I'm really beginning to like the veteran presence of Whitworth on this O-Line. Two specific examples of moments he stood out during the game was on two run plays.
                    1) when Gurley's run to the left side of the line got held up after a few yards, and then he and the line kept pushing the scrum for a big additional gain. Looked like Whit got his huge hand under the pads of a lineman and was able to keep his guy upright. When Gurley didn't get wrapped up and had Whit to his side, they were able to keep pushing and make the Raiders pay for not finishing the play.
                    2) On Gurley's td run, Whit easily handled a smaller defender on the outside. Then he turned to see the result of the play. Gurley had made it to the goal line, but it wasn't quite clear if he had scored yet and the whistle hadn't blown. Instead of watching and hoping, Whit rushed in and blasted the pack from the back, ensuring the score.

These plays and a few others, have really stood out to me. And it appears, that some of that work ethic and demeanor are rubbing off on the some of the other lineman, notably Havenstein. Brown still needs to pick it up, but overall, I believe I'm starting to see the impact Whit is having. And I love it.

Comment

Yeah as hope that Todd G does not suffer this year and regress like last year.
                      Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Very good effort by the Rams. No turnovers was a big improvement. I like that kid Justin Davis, he's gonna break one one of these days and I hope it occurs in the regualr season where it will mean something. Malcolm Brown too, good effort. Todd Gurley was much better and that is key to helping the passing game. Cooper Kupp is showing thus far to be a real star. I'm excited about what Sammy Watkins will bring to the table. I was most impressed with Goff who is starting to look like he's knows what going on and will throw the ball away rather than risk a TO. Nice play from Mannion was comforting too. It's all vanilla so far, really amped when the season begins.

The defense will need Donald at some point and I'm fairly certain that will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later. Other TruJo I'm not recognizing the DB's. Is Webster playing?

Its early to say, but McVay with his coaching staff may be the answer for us.

Go Rams!

Comment

I don't have access to the injury report, so I'm not sure who was out. But yeah, I haven't noticed Webster yet if he's been out there.

But I saw Troy Hill get a lot of work in. He was a backup last year and I believe he replaced Trujo when he was injured last year.
                          Of course, Michael Jordan was another backup who played a lot last week...almost got that big interception at the end. Not sure how much time he got in Saturday night.

In addition to those guys, I recall seeing Cody Davis and Lamarcus Joyner getting lots of work against the Raiders.

I think the new ones you're not recognizing are Kevin Peterson and A. Penton. I think I saw Peterson out there for most the game.

Comment

The thing is you can't run if you can't pass. What we saw Saturday was the passing game loosening up the defense for the running game. Goff had the best game I've seen him half since he got here. Accurate, poised and ready to go with the game plan. He had a few minor hiccups but overall a good performance. Gurley finally got some room to breath after having to battle through his first few carries. The line settled down and eventually got the upper hand over the line of scrimmage. Kupp looked real good again along with Everett who had a real good night himself.

The defense sucked. Both teams looked the same there with the Raiders missing 4 or 5 guys from their defense. Our linebackers and defensive backs were a day late and a dollar short most of the first half. Hopefully they can figure it out or the Rams defense could end up being the weak link.
                            Last edited by mh-i; -08-23-2017, 06:11 AM.
                            :helmet:

Comment

Great first half and definitely gives us something to be optimistic about. What a great combo Watkins/Wood/Kupp will be! Tavon Who?

Comment