Game Attendance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Attendance

There have been a number of comments critical of what is perceived to be poor attendance at Rams games. I'll offer this as food for thought:

First of all, the LA Colosieum is a cavernous facility of over 100,000 seats. You could put 80,000 people in that building and it would still look "empty".

Secondly, the Rams must win consistently to draw fans. No news flash there. This is a team that has been lousy for 13 years, and was lousy for ten years prior to the GSOT days. There is too much to do in the LA area for fans to subject themselves to bad football week after week.There are only a few teams in the league who have the luxury of losing while still having their fans show up and sell out their stadium. The Rams aren't one of them - nor will they be anytime soon. The Rams will have to prove themselves to fans before that loyalty is returned.

And finally, the Rams need to build a base in LA. Yes, there are a number of holdovers from the "old days" when the LA Rams were a staple, but that is ancient history. Thinking you're gonna' get 50-60 thousand old school fans to go to these games I feel is extremely wishful thinking. Remember that this is a city that has been without football for more than 20 years. They've gotten used to that, and old habits die hard. New fans have to be won- and again, it comes down to putting a product on the field people want to root for.

LA has a team (two teams) because of Kroenke's billions and the promise of a new stadium in a few years which will dwarf anything currently out there. I'm sure this will draw huge crowds when complete, but for now, we need to realize that 50-60 thousand fans is probably going to be considered a good crowd at the Colosieum.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-11-2017, 04:48 AM.

Good points. Also, the Coliseum is a lousy place to get to and to watch games. Things will be greatly improved in a shiny new stadium.

Comment

My only point is that the RAMS could have drawn that many fans in STL had they not moved and not been threatening to move. If a city is all gung-ho to steal a team from another city (like STL did from LA), they should at least fill the stadium. I don't care what kind of lousy excuses you make, and STL did in fact nullify any excuse you will make, a city that size should be able to fill the stadium with no problems. After all, the size of the city and number of fans they could draw was one of the main reasons for leaving STL and going back to LA. So far, LA has been a failure in this regard.

The move is over and done with, and the RAMS will more than like stay in LA for our life times, but it was still the wrong move to make based on the lackadaisical fan base in LA. Even the new stadium won't be filled unless the visiting team has a large fan base. Based on the reports from RAMS fans in LA, when STL stole the RAMS from LA, it was the same way back then, about 50% of the fans at the game were rooting for the vising team.

And as a former STL, this is what pisses me off, all the excuses for why STL didn't deserve to keep the RAMS seem to be acceptable for LA.

gap

Comment

I get that the stadium is enormous. The rams had 62,000 odd tickets sold. There were not close to that many people in the stadium. When game 1 year two in a city does not even attract almost all of the sold seats to be filled, that is an indication of lack of fan support and the exact same issue that people cited for why the team should leave st louis. Hard core fans show up win or lose and certainly in week one. Sure, new stadium and winning will help a ton. The rams sold out in st louis when they were winning. Look at the replay, there were tons of empty seats in the lower bowl and in great seats. That means no resale market and/or many people not bothering to give them away for free. Its called indifferent fans (not to suggest that there arent many die hards such as those on this board), and everyone should remember why the rams left LA in the first place.

The decision to relocate to LA was a pure business money around a gigantic TV and real estate play for Kroenke. He will make a fortune off the move, notwithstanding the fact that he needs that money like he needs another hole in his head. However, it would be great to see the fans in LA really support the team like the fans of other great franchises. It's just so painful for fanatics like me that dont live in the city and therefore cant attend regularly.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
          After all, the size of the city and number of fans they could draw was one of the main reasons for leaving STL and going back to LA. So far, LA has been a failure in this regard.
          I get the anger at losing the Rams, but lets be honest here. The fact is, last year the Rams ranked second in overall NFL home game attendance, with over 665,000. Now you can dispute those numbers and try to qualify them, but if that's a failure, I'll take it, and I'm sure the Rams will too.

That said, I'm very disappointed with the attendance for opening day. No excuses. If Rams fans can produce big numbers in 2016, and travel to San Diego and fill Qualcomm with tens of thousands of fans, they can do better in LA, much better.

Hopefully, the Rams can string some wins together and get the fan base excited again. It will be interesting too see what happens next week against Washington.

Comment

Mike, question, that 665,000 number is that tickets sold or people that attended last year? Question for anyone that knows, do you have to buy rams season tix now to get first shot at the season tickets/psl in the new stadium or can you just buy in the new stadium?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

GC beat me to the punch on both questions, Mike. I'd also like to know the answers to both.

Comment

I'm sure the attendance numbers are the same for all teams, tickets sold. Maybe some of the season tickets holders can give their opinion of official attendance numbers compared to actual fans in the seats. I'm sure they can answer the question about tickets for the new stadium as well.

NFL Attendance Figures For 2016:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...attendance.htm
                Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-11-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Not to put gasoline on the fire. I am first and foremost a Rams fan and I would follow them no matter if they play in STL or LA or what ever other place they might go at some point in time.

But I seem to remember that during the last many years where Rams produced badly Dome in STL was also not sold out or even worse it seemed like playing an away games as fans seemed to sell their tickets to fans of the visiting team. One of my friends who is a GB fan watched a Rams game in STL when he was on a business trip in the US and he said it was more like a GB home game than a Rams home game.... So I guess it is not much worse in LA.

Not matter what it looks bad when the stadium is empty, but as mentioned by other if we field a good product new fans will come and a new stadium will suddenly help.

GO RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                    Mike, question, that 665,000 number is that tickets sold or people that attended last year? Question for anyone that knows, do you have to buy rams season tix now to get first shot at the season tickets/psl in the new stadium or can you just buy in the new stadium?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    My understanding is this:

I think you'll be able to "just buy".... but you'd have to wait until AFTER the ticket holders at the colliseum have had a crack at it. Holders have priority first, then they'll open it up.

Comment

I was there yesterday and in our section - Section 9 - most everyone showed up. It was hot. I went over to the Corona Beach House at halftime and there were a lot of people trying to get shade. I also noticed that they opened up two sections that aren't usually open for people....
                      There will be a lot more people next Sunday, as there are a lot of Redskin fans in So Cal.
                      Anyway, I'm just glad I was there to see the game. It has been a long time coming !!
                      Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                        There have been a number of comments critical of what is perceived to be poor attendance at Rams games. I'll offer this as food Sfor thought:

First of all, the LA Colosieum is a cavernous facility of over 100,000 seats. You could put 80,000 people in that building and it would still look "empty".

Secondly, the Rams must win consistently to draw fans. No news flash there. This is a team that has been lousy for 13 years, and was lousy for ten years prior to the GSOT days. There is too much to do in the LA area for fans to subject themselves to bad football week after week.There are only a few teams in the league who have the luxury of losing while still having their fans show up and sell out their stadium. The Rams aren't one of them - nor will they be anytime soon. The Rams will have to prove themselves to fans before that loyalty is returned.

And finally, the Rams need to build a base in LA. Yes, there are a number of holdovers from the "old days" when the LA Rams were a staple, but that is ancient history. Thinking you're gonna' get 50-60 thousand old school fans to go to these games I feel is extremely wishful thinking. Remember that this is a city that has been without football for more than 20 years. They've gotten used to that, and old habits die hard. New fans have to be won- and again, it comes down to putting a product on the field people want to root for.

LA has a team (two teams) because of Kroenke's billions and the promise of a new stadium in a few years which will dwarf anything currently out there. I'm sure this will draw huge crowds when complete, but for now, we need to realize that 50-60 thousand fans is probably going to be considered a good crowd at the Colosieum.
                        I agree think this is spot on there is a core hold overs but most of the fan base are new. I went to the first practice last year 5000 plus fans that for the most part where clueless about the team, players, coaches ect. Seems like many last year went to the games early and faded as the team stunk. The Rams are going to need to be competitive and entertaining to get people to go sit it the sun all day. Once they move the stadium will helped draw fans but they will still need to be a good team to draw large crowds in LA. If the Rams make a run at the playoff this year (big if) they will sell out towards the end of the year.

Comment

I'm not interested in a city versus city debate; I found those to go no where and typically just ended in hurt feelings.

Having said that, LA has to do better than this for the season home opener at kickoff...

Comment

Wow.....picture is worth 1000 words. Yes, LA needs to embrace this team. My guess is it will not look like that in the new digs. I would say 60,000 fans at least is the minimum for a crowd in the Coliseum. Does anybody expect 100,000 consistently?

Comment

Originally posted by clarasDK View Post
                              Not to put gasoline on the fire. I am first and foremost a Rams fan and I would follow them no matter if they play in STL or LA or what ever other place they might go at some point in time.

But I seem to remember that during the last many years where Rams produced badly Dome in STL was also not sold out or even worse it seemed like playing an away games as fans seemed to sell their tickets to fans of the visiting team. One of my friends who is a GB fan watched a Rams game in STL when he was on a business trip in the US and he said it was more like a GB home game than a Rams home game.... So I guess it is not much worse in LA.

Not matter what it looks bad when the stadium is empty, but as mentioned by other if we field a good product new fans will come and a new stadium will suddenly help.

GO RAMS!
                              I do not disagree with you here, but will add that attendance in STL did not decline that badly until after stan's purchase land in LA.

That said, the fact that STL was more like a home game for the visiting team the last two years is why people that wanted the team back in LA said STL didn't deserve to have the RAMS. Using that same logic, LA doesn't deserve them either, and it took less than one year of losing to lose the fans in LA.

If they would have fielded a good product in STL, and stan hadn't bought land in LA, STL could have easily built a bigger stadium (that would have been sold out with RAMS fans) to put just as many fans in the stadium that LA can support.

gap

Comment