Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upcoming cowboys game, i hate to say it, but.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming cowboys game, i hate to say it, but.....

I hate to say it, and i would LOVE to be wrong, but i have a bad feeling about this week's game on the road vs. dallas. I watched Dallas play arizona tonight (on the road) and they are a really good well rounded team that runs the ball very well, rushes the passer effectively, and doesnt turn it over much (tonight, not at all). Of course, they got blown out last week vs denver, who lost this week to buffalo, so who knows? We better be ready to stop the run about 1000x better than we have in the last two weeks because if we don't it's going to be a very long day. On the offensive side, we absolutely have to find a way to establish some kind of running game to keep goff out of 3rd and long all the time. Arizona's offensive line is a problem and they had two starters out tonight. Dallas was killing Palmer in the second half while rushing three guys and putting 6 db's in the game. We are going to have to give Havenstein help with Lawrence. This game is one of those games on the schedule with a ton of upside, but i am not particularly optimistic. By the way, we are 7 point underdogs. We are all alone in first place and regardless of what happens on the road at Dallas, if we can beat Seattle the following week at home i think all of us have to say at that point that we are dramatically improved and off to a competitive start. This is the part of the schedule where if we want to have a legitimate season above .500 we really can't be losing three in a row to dallas, seattle and jacksonville (on the road, which is not an easy game at all).

Please tell me i am being overly pessimistic about this coming week vs. dallas, i would love to hear some other views.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Only saw the last 4 minutes of the game and some highlights from earlier. So I can't comment on much...but I got a feeling this will be another shoot out barring a defensive surprise by the Rams.

Until the defense starts to smooth out I think it's gonna be a bunch of NFL barn burners, not like against SF but maybe consisted high 20s and 30s, winning or losing by a touchdown or less.

Just a feeling.

Plus I feel the cowboys are more beatable now than what I thought they were gonna be before the season started. And of course the Rams offense surpassed my expectations greatly too, and the defense...not so much lol.

McVay has shown to make adjustments during the games, not just the second half so I have confidence something will work, if not from the get go.

But certainly, the defense has to stop the run, they won't be able to survive consistent 100+ yard games every week imo. And the cowboys balanced attack doesn't help so that secondary is gonna really have to step up as well...

But I feel a win is certainly more possible now than before the season started, absolutely.

Comment

GC I feel many of the same Trepedations as you do for this Dallas game, road games are all tough and this should be no exception to that rule of thumb! I believe our offense should keep us in the game but we will need some timely stops to pull out a victory or at least that is how I see the game!

Comment

Sorry, I don't think you're being overly pessimistic. I think you're being grounded and rational, but I don't think all hope is lost. Dallas is on a short week, after all.

I think Phillips' D is a bend don't break type of scheme with resilient pass rushing proclivities. If the opposing team has to pass in order to stay in the game, they'll excel. If the opposing team can ground and pound though, it's prone to bend right into a loss unless the offense keeps them in the game. The offense kept them in the game against the ******** and the Redskins. As a result, Rams won one and lost one against those two good rushing teams.

As for Dallas, I fear the 'boys will definitely leave some scorch marks against our beloved defense. But as AV said in his Defense in Dallas post, a lot will be on display for Rams D here. If the guys can fix some of their assignments, maybe Dallas' run game while effective, won't blow the barn door down. Setting the edge's for example to contain Prescott will be crucial. Combine that with Goff executing well and a well rounded offense.... maybe some great Hekker punts...another round of Gurley like on TNF.... all is not lost. I believe the 7 point line is accurate, but games aren't won on paper... they need to be played. If Goff and Gurley excel, there's sizeable hope against a team on a monday night victory hangover....

I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

I wouldn't underestimate the potential impact of the fact that the Rams will have 9 days between games 3 and 4, while the Cowboys will only have 5. If the Rams can keep it tight for three quarters, they may have a real advantage in the final 15 minutes.

As far as the match-up goes, I'll give my full thoughts after we get some idea of whether Watkins, Sullivan and Webster are good to go.

Comment

Having watched the cowpoke game I think the main reason the cards lost was down to penalties. Both teams matched up well. Not sure what this means to our Rams but we better be ready to play when we meet both these teams.

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez View Post
              Having watched the cowpoke game I think the main reason the cards lost was down to penalties. Both teams matched up well. Not sure what this means to our Rams but we better be ready to play when we meet both these teams.
              I agree with you Dez. Penalties played a huge factor, including the holding call that took away a Cardinals TD that would have made the score 14-0 early in the second. That nullified TD changed the game.

It'll be an uphill battle to beat Dallas, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams take it too them and pull out a victory. They'll need to clean up the penalties, get some players back from injury, show some improvement on D, and hold on to the ball. If they can do that, they can win.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I agree with you Dez. Penalties played a huge factor, including the holding call that took away a Cardinals TD that would have made the score 14-0 early in the second. That nullified TD changed the game.

It'll be an uphill battle to beat Dallas, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams take it too them and pull out a victory. They'll need to clean up the penalties, get some players back from injury, show some improvement on D, and hold on to the ball. If they can do that, they can win.
                Now THATS what Am talking about

Comment

It's hard to imagine the Cowboys and Zeke not running all over this defense the way it's played the last two weeks. However, the Cowboys have been held to under 100 rushing yards in their last two games, and they certainly look beatable. Whether or not the Rams can do it remains to be seen. Hopefully with all the time between a Thursday game and this Sunday's game, Wade has developed some answers on defense and McVay is ready to keep the engine running on offense.

Comment

One positive note, McVay played them twice a year so he may have a little insight on how to exploit their defense. It didn't help in the Washington game that much, but the flip side to that game was Washington's staff was familiar with his offensive calls as well. Grasping at straws a little but with 10 days to prepare in McVay I trust.

Comment

Will be a tough test for sure- the toughest yet for the McVay Rams. Going on the road to play a team with great fan support, two young talents at the QB and RB positions and an overall solid football club. Not real hopeful, but don't have the sense of dread I've had in years past where we knew winning a game like this would be a pipe dream. The defense has to give us a whole lot more than it has for us to have a shot.

Comment

I watched the Cowboys/Cards game... but I also watched the Cards/Colts game

I am not surprised the Cowboys did what they did to the Cards...from the beginning of the season I been saying there is something off with the Cards specifically C. Palmer. I'd like to say its the Cards OL that's the issue and yes its a large part of it of it, but Palmer just doesn't seem to be his consistent self...

This is what I saw in the Cowboys/Cards game:

Its a tale of two cities...1st quarter was a game where the Cards dictated both on offense and defense...2nd Quarter the game devolved into a stalemate... 3rd/4th quarter was all Dallas' game. In the 1st quarter AZ was pretty much moving the ball at will and had well schemed their defense against Dallas; 2nd quarter Dallas made adjustments on both defense and offense and shutdown AZ.

Seriously with the Cards Dallas was using 3 man fronts and where getting sacks on Palmer.... 5 on 3 and still they where able to either sack Palmer or put pressure on him..is the Cowboy's DL that good (all of them an A. Donald?). That was the difference in a lot of snaps when the Cards where on offense--facing 8 defenders playing zone. So where was the Cards ground game? NO CLUE.

Did the Cowboys do anything great on offense...not really. Remember when Kaepernick/Wilson had as part of their play book the read option? Its been awhile since the Rams faced the Read option but certainly the Rams have seen it.

At the beginning of the season I predicted the Rams would defeat the Cowboys and win the first match up with the Cards. What the Rams have to do is worry about the Cowboys ground game and respect the Cowboys passing as well as contain Dak. If you think of it the Cowboys are the Squawks since they are attempting to do the same thing! Run the ball to open the pass with bootlegs as well as pay solid defense. At the beginning of the season, I had no idea the Rams could play offense and score points and thought a win over Dallas would be a slugfest--just as I thought the Rams/49whiner game would be trench warfare where I was dead wrong

....thus far I have been dead wrong about the Rams offense and glad of it to be wrong. Its very possible the Rams can put a beat down on the Cowboys if the Rams can get 17+ early advantage which more or less puts the ball in Dak's hands and throw the ball in the teeth of the Ram's defense
                        Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -09-26-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

The Rams are 8 point dogs to open. It will be interesting to see how that changes leading up to game time.

Havenstein and Brown need to be ready. I would imagine that's where the Cowboys are going to be coming at Goff from. If they can effectively protect Goff I do feel good about the Rams passing game to go with the Cowboys 4 new starters in the Cowboys defensive back field.
                          :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I admire Mike's persistent optimism. And I think we should allow ourselves to indulge in a little optimism at this juncture. From what I see, our team is vastly improved on offense, with a bright future, and is giving us the best reasons we've had to watch it play in quite a few seasons. Sure, it's a great challenge to play Dallas in their stadium. But I know the Rams are capable of beating them. It's a matter of making it happen, and anything can happen in these crazy games, if the team brings the right energy and focus to it. The edge in recovery time could make a difference. So, while I really don't disagree with the points and concerns expressed in this thread, both about the Rams' weaknesses and Dallas' strengths, I do think GC is being too "glass half empty". Positive thoughts are in order, at this juncture. And who's to say they don't count for something. The way this league is, we could be in dire circumstances in a couple of weeks. So, let's take a moment to relish our good start. Sorry for being so sanctimonious. But for week 4, I am on the McVay bandwagon.
                            Last edited by Seacone; -09-26-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
                              The Rams are 8 point dogs to open. It will be interesting to see how that changes leading up to game time.

Havenstein and Brown need to be ready. I would imagine that's where the Cowboys are going to be coming at Goff from. If they can effectively protect Goff I do feel good about the Rams passing game to go with the Cowboys 4 new starters in the Cowboys defensive back field.
                              Problem going after Goof... is there is this guy called Gurley who is now part of the passing game. If the Cowboys can get to Goff with just 3 like they did C. Palmer, sure it would work. But it looks like the Rams OL is night/day difference between them and the Cards...have to wait and see... the Rams are not built to be pass-happy like the cards and why likely Dallas dropped 8 so often in zone. Against the Rams coming with just 3 if they can't get to Goff means Gurley grinds out 150yards... Come with 5, and play cover zone means some poor CB has a Gurley coming at him of a sling pass...amazing how self preservation instincts kick in in the least opportune times

No I think Dallas will try a straight up defense against the Rams and attempt a ground & pound to victory

Comment