The Sean McVay Culture Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sean McVay Culture Change

It's early, but the effect Sean McVay has had on one of the worst NFL teams in 2016, is absolutely striking. He came in saying he wanted to change the culture, and he has, in spades. From key personnel changes and sound decisions, to an attitude shift, to an emphasis on teamwork, preparedness, and execution, he's put his stamp on the Rams, with results that are sometimes hard to believe. Not only stats, but confidence level, and the ability to handle adversity.

Again, it's only 4 games into the season, and we've had the rug pulled out from under us for decades, but I think the Rams future looks bright with Sean McVay.

There are differing views regarding Stan Kroenke's passion, or lack thereof, for the Rams. However, if he hands the reigns over to qualified leaders and gives them the resources to build a winner, I suppose in the end that's all that matters.

The early reviews on McVay suggest that the Rams chose the right leader for this team. I'm excited to see what the future holds.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
      It's early, but the effect Sean McVay has had on one of the worst NFL teams in 2016, is absolutely striking. He came in saying he wanted to change the culture, and he has, in spades. From key personnel changes and sound decisions, to an attitude shift, to an emphasis on teamwork, preparedness, and execution, he's put his stamp on the Rams, with results that are sometimes hard to believe. Not only stats, but confidence level, and the ability to handle adversity.

Again, it's only 4 games into the season, and we've had the rug pulled out from under us for decades, but I think the Rams future looks bright with Sean McVay.
      yes mike.........I readily accepted Linehan, Spags and Fisher. After those 8-9 years of misery I was reticent to put my chips all in on another unproven HC guy like Spags and Linehan. I was slowly convinced over the summer and approach but still was waiting to see what the product looked like on the field. Well........

This team is night and day from the absolute crap we saw over the last decade. This young man has created winning mentality....players believe in themselves and the direction. The season is 25% done so long way to go. But I don't feel doom when we are behind anymore like I did under those other guys. The Cowboys had won 8 straight at home and we beat them! Two road games in a row. Halftime adjustments. Players stepping up. key additions to the offensive line, a long and painful issue for us. I am not saying we are there yet but we are somewhere positive we have not been in a long time and for this long time beleaguered Ram fan, it feels very good

Comment

I think one of the major effects of bringing McVay on was the opportunity to allow the younger, "next-gen" leaders to speak up and take leadership roles. The Fisher regime had a strong, systemic culture of lackadaiscal aloofness, subpar communication, and no strong sense of passion or desire to win. The veterans that he loved the most also happened to be the guys that also pushed this culture in the locker room (surprise, surprise), and I'm sure it was hard on the younger guys who wanted to win and get better to actually step up. Realistically, the rookies and younger players had to buy into this BS culture or shut their mouths.

I am very happy that Fisher left at the time that he did. I think it was most timely. Any longer and players like Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, Donald, Brockers, etc., would either become another Fisher puppet or would have soured on the Rams. Any sooner and we may have potentially replaced Fisher with an alternative that may not have provided any drastic changes.

This was very timey indeed.

Comment

Mike, you're so right about the impact McVay has had on the team. To me the evidence was plainly clear when I saw him sitting on the cooler during the ***** game. That told me he's not going to pontificate, but rather lead by example and work as hard as he expects the players to work. As both you and AV say, the Rams hired the right guy. On to the Squawks.

Go Rams!

Comment

I love the way this team is going but I will pick up on the the one note Mike had about the fact that’s it’s still early in the season to be crowning men. I will wait and see and be very very content in the new direction our horned heroes are going in.

Comment

The thing I've liked the most so far is play calling. As the chemistry grows between the players with each other and between McVay and the players the Rams indeed could be in for some exciting football again.
              :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                I am very happy that Fisher left at the time that he did. I think it was most timely. Any longer and players like Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, Donald, Brockers, etc., would either become another Fisher puppet or would have soured on the Rams. Any sooner and we may have potentially replaced Fisher with an alternative that may not have provided any drastic changes.

This was very timey indeed.
                It's amazing how it all worked out to land McVay. Fisher was going to be with the Rams through the move. I think that was predetermined. But then we have the unexpected drafting of Goff, fisher getting fired, and McVay becoming the new sought after offensive genius. Any delay at all by the Rams and the whiners hire McVay. Akin to the mistake they made years ago with Walsh. It all timed out perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez View Post
                  I love the way this team is going but I will pick up on the the one note Mike had about the fact that’s it’s still early in the season to be crowning men. I will wait and see and be very very content in the new direction our horned heroes are going in.
                  Based soley on how the Rams defense turned things around in the 2nd half against Dallas, I think the players can believe in the scheme and themselves to a depth that wasn't possible under the prior regime. I hope the team has leaped a hurdle that will enable them to claw back whatever the situation. I would love to hear what McVay and Phillips said at half-time to rally our team.
                  “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Nearly every coach wants to 'change the culture" when they take over a losing team and put their own blueprint on things. The Rams situation is no different. When you make a coaching change, you usually select a candidate who reflects the opposite of what had been in place- young vs old, offensive guy vs defensive guy, disciplinarian vs more relaxed type, etc.. In hiring McVay, the Rams selected someone who represented a shift in the way things had been done for several years. the Rams went stagnant in years 3 and 4 of the Jeff Fisher tenure before bottoming out in year five.

One can't argue with the early returns in 2017. McVay exudes an air of confidence, has thus far worked wonders with an offense which had been positively dreadful and displays a maturity beyond his years. As Mike pointed out, it is way to early to make a definitive statement on McVay or this organization ( a three game losing streak has a way of making people forget their starry-eyed assessments of someone), but if the first 4 games are any indicator, it certainly looks like the Rams made the right hire.

Comment

Fisher was not the guy to get the franchise over the hump for a number of reasons. Main reasons were his lack of technical qualifications to create and implement a contemporary NFL offense, and his "veteran's lounge", "win one for the f***ing Gipper" approach to motivation and culture. I loved the announcer saying that Fisher wanted Gurley to be his Eddie George, and McVay wants him to be his Marshall Faulk. The big thing to me is that McVay is a technical expert in contemporary NFL offense. It's a different era than when Fisher learned all his testosterone-dipped anecdotes that he relied upon as a coaching philosophy. NFL offense is high tech now. Having Fisher run it, was like asking your grandfather build a website for you. Better to ask your teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                        ( a three game losing streak has a way of making people forget their starry-eyed assessments of someone)
                        NJ, you make a great point that occurred to me after my post yesterday in this thread. Most of us are very giddy about the Dallas win and the others prior to that too. Plus we have seen the rebound of Todd Gurley to his rookie year form and better as he's become a receiving threat as well. Most of all we're seeing the emergence of Jared Goff as a potential franchise QB, which was the belief when we drafted him. The icing on the cake is also the acquisition of Sammy Watkins and the drafting of Cooper Kupp.

The question that needs to be answered is how McVay will respond to adversity. As you say there will be a multi-game losing streak or an injury to key player. Hopefully it will go well. We'll see.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
                          Fisher was not the guy to get the franchise over the hump for a number of reasons. Main reasons were his lack of technical qualifications to create and implement a contemporary NFL offense, and his "veteran's lounge", "win one for the f***ing Gipper" approach to motivation and culture. I loved the announcer saying that Fisher wanted Gurley to be his Eddie George, and McVay wants him to be his Marshall Faulk. The big thing to me is that McVay is a technical expert in contemporary NFL offense. It's a different era than when Fisher learned all his testosterone-dipped anecdotes that he relied upon as a coaching philosophy. NFL offense is high tech now. Having Fisher run it, was like asking your grandfather build a website for you. Better to ask your teenager.
                          Can't disagree with what you said and like the appropriate analogy of "asking one's grandfather to build them a website". Problem is that it would have been tough firing Fisher after having a couple of 7-9/6-10 seasons with the likes of Case Keenum and Kellen Clemens running things. It took a 4-12 bottoming out after a 3-1 start to validate giving him the ax.

It's OK if offense isn't your strength as the head coach, but if that's the case, you must hire someone who is progressive-minded and compensates for your lack of vision. Fisher didn't do so, and it rightfully cost him his job..

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

The question that needs to be answered is how McVay will respond to adversity. As you say there will be a multi-game losing streak or an injury to key player. Hopefully it will go well. We'll see.

Go Rams!
                            Man, McVay can't get a break here. I would consider the first half of the Dallas game adversity. Him and his staff (and the players) responded quite well.
                            “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

There's just something about McVay. I noticed it at his first presser after he was hired. Everyone that is close to him will say the same.

I have no doubts that we have the next greatest head coach. My only fear, and I said this from the start, is that he could get burnt out on coaching at a young age.

At first I was getting frustrated at other Rams fans for not buying in. Even now some are starting to buy in, but they are still not off the fence. I guess I can't really blame them. That's what years of losing does to a fan base.

Take the Chicago Cubs for example. How many Cubs fans expected something to go wrong last season? I would venture to guess a very large percentage.

I know everyone is different but I would rather get the rug swept out from under me than get splinters in my ass from sitting on the fence for too long. It's just more exciting that way. As far as I'm concerned the slipper fits.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ram Dragoon
                                Has it really been...
                                by Ram Dragoon
                                Has it really been 2 seasons under McVay and some are saying Rams and Super Bowl in the same sentence?

Going down memory lane is like revisiting ones nightmares with Fisher, Spags, and Linehand. Sure lots of faces on the team have come and gone. But who remains on the Rams roaster from past failed HCs. What a difference it makes with the HC. Normally a re-build is a 3-4 year project and even then it still may not come together. Perhaps some credit is owed to the past.

Goff is shaping up to being an elite QB
                                Gurley is on everyone's fantasy leagues wish list
                                Donald is the envy of al the other 32 teams

Going forward, it will be interesting to who will be on the Rams team and how it will change...but hopefully as a lesson well learned the Rams will think HC first since its the HC that puts all the bits of the machinery together to get it to work
                                -10-01-2018, 08:32 PM
                              • Nick
                                Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
                                by Nick
                                Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
                                By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
                                PUBLISHED: April 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm | UPDATED: April 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s a tradition on almost every team. Show up to camp, collect your T-shirt with the catchy, coach-speak slogan on the back and attempt to minimize the eye-rolling.

The intensity in new coach Sean McVay’s eyes and voice, though, made it impossible to scoff at the “We Not Me” message that Rams players, coaches and staff members wore on blue, cotton tees Monday as the team opened the first phase of its two-month offseason workout program at Cal Lutheran.

“Everyone was at full attention,” McVay said. “Guys were locked in. They were engaged. They were ready to go. I think it was definitely the way we wanted it to come off, as a coaching staff. Right now, it’s about building relationships with these guys.”

It’s time for a culture change. Previous coach Jeff Fisher largely took a laissez-faire attitude that basically told players to have fun and be loose, as long as they prepared and came ready to play on Sunday. That level of trust made Fisher popular among players, but it also produced a 31-45-1 record from 2012-16.

It’s far too early to fete McVay, the youngest coach in NFL history when the Rams hired him in January, but one thing is already clear: McVay is no Fisher. McVay’s body language suggests perpetual intensity, and that seemed to come across to players during their first formal meeting with McVay on Monday.

“I think there’s some really good, new energy here,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “Coach McVay and the rest of his staff have done a great job exuding that energy and really letting us feel it. I think it’s really a fresh start for a lot of people. I think it’s a really good feeling. Just freshness is the best way to describe it.”

There’s plenty of work ahead. This phase of offseason work, which will continue for two weeks, will focus mostly on off-field strength and conditioning. Per NFL rules, practice-like simulations aren’t allowed until next month, but Monday represented an important moment for McVay and the Rams.

For the first time, McVay could transition from handshakes and salutations to football talk. He could distribute playbooks and talk about offensive and defensive systems and possible position changes.

Most of all, he could make a good first impression on the players, and vice versa. That seems to have been a success. These offseason workouts are optional, but McVay said all players attended Monday, just more than three months after they completed a dismal 4-12 season.

“Everybody came with a fresh start, a different mindset,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We left with a real bad taste in our mouths last year; a horrible taste. I’m pretty sure everybody is ready,...
                                -04-10-2017, 05:22 PM
                              • KoaKoi
                                The Rams and the Anthem
                                by KoaKoi
                                Something about McVay that I thought was pretty cool. I like how he's approaching this, even if he's stealing it straight from another coach.

I was at the Cowboy preseason game, but didn't notice it. Apparently, Robert Quinn did his fist in the air thing during the national anthem. His response to why was some convoluted garble about ancestors. I'll let you look it up if you're interested in his response. That's not the reason I created this post.

What I actually found interesting, was what McVay is doing with the team during the anthem: He's doing exactly what Fisher did.

McVay has instructed the team to line up in the same way Fisher had them line up shoulder to shoulder, with the staff standing in a line behind them, saying he credits Fisher with putting in place a system that he admires and will continue to utilize. Perhaps because I'm used to seeing Rams do it that way, that's something I didn't notice at the game. Here's a couple quotes from McVay when asked about it.

“With coach Fisher, they’ve done a great job here the last couple of years having a very structured alignment with respect to what the national anthem represents,” said McVay. “And you’ll notice that we’ve continued on with that tradition. I thought that was something that was great. And then what we’ve said to the is ‘this is kind of how we want to go about it. If you have any feelings differently one way or the other, just come let me know so were not surprised about it.'”

“Certainly guys are entitled to their opinions but the guys that have done some demonstration definitely communicated that to us. But we have a lot of respect as an organization for what that national anthem represents and I think you see the alignment in the organization that we try to show before the kickoff. And that’s a credit to what they had done here before.”

Personally, I'd prefer these anthem protests didn't exist. I don't think ill of anybody that does something to make a statement, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was annoying. It's kind of like being hustled on the street by a vendor. I know they have the right to be there and say something to me, but I really don't appreciate what they want to troll about and would prefer they left me alone. If only the media treated them like streakers and didn't give them the limelight about it. C'est la vie. I recall a Fisher response recently where he was asked about how he felt about it, and he talked about pre-game focus, and that he felt while guys are free to do as they wish regarding conduct during the anthem, he felt that moment was better used to focus on the game to be and feared it could alternatively be a distraction; better to reflect on how special it is to be in that moment as a part of the NFL. His teams didn't win or perform near as good as we would have liked, but I always did think he was a classy guy. I like that McVay is following this tradition......
                                -09-05-2017, 10:44 AM
                              • Nick
                                McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                                by Nick
                                McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                                Myles Simmons
                                RAMS INSIDER

CHICAGO — This was not the Rams night.

This was a night where Los Angeles had only 214 yards of offense. Only 14 first downs. Only six points.

A night where quarterback Jared Goff threw four interceptions, setting an ignominious single-game career high. Prior to this night, he’d only ever thrown at most two picks in a game as a pro.

And this was also a night where head coach Sean McVay took responsibility for all of it.

“I’ve got to be better for our football team, but this loss is on me,” McVay said postgame. “I didn’t do nearly a good enough job for us today and I trust that we’ll respond the right way.”

This is something McVay has done for each of the Rams’ regular-season losses since he took over as head coach last year. But this was as self-critical as McVay has ever been — likely because this was as ineffective as the offense has been in his tenure.

“I’ll tell you this, when I’m looking at it in terms of some of the intent, what we were trying to do with a lot of things, I know this — I did not put our guys in good spots and that’s something that I have to better within the framework of my role and what I can control,” McVay said.

Indeed, this is the only time since the start of the 2017 season that Los Angeles has failed to score an offensive touchdown in a game. In fact, according to ESPN Stats and Info, this is only the second time in McVay’s 79 games as an offensive coordinator or head coach that his offense didn’t put the ball in the end zone.

And that’s part of what makes the numbers look so odd for this particular contest.

“I’d like to say no,” McVay replied when asked if he’d imagined there would be a game where his offense didn’t score a touchdown, “but certainly this is a humbling league and either you learn from it — you’d love to play consistently well week in and week out, but tonight was a humbling experience certainly for me as a coach and for our football team, but I do trust that we will respond the right way.”

But even with McVay’s self-criticism, players didn’t simply let themselves off the hook — particularly Goff.

“We definitely appreciate when he does that, but we need to be better and that’s the bottom line,” said Goff, who finished 20-of-44 passing for just 180 yards. “We are the ones on the field, we’re executing, need to make the plays, just need to do a lot of things better and we will.”

McVay often notes that he’s so self-critical because it’s what he and the rest of the coaching staff asks the players to do. And based on cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman’s postgame comments, that approach seems to be working.

“You just got to go home, look yourself in the mirror … and ask yourself, ‘Did I do everything that I [was] supposed to? Did I give all the effort that I was...
                                -12-10-2018, 04:13 AM
                              • AvengerRam
                                Several Splashes, Few Ripples...
                                by AvengerRam
                                The metaphor that makes up this thread title expresses what I really like about the Rams' FA approach.

Any team (subject to the ability to clear cap space), can try to make a big splash in FA by offering a lucrative contract to a well-know, big-name FA. While fans and the media will often praise moves of that type, there are countless examples of FAs who didn't pan out, or who ultimately because high-priced anchors on their new teams.

With a new coaching staff, there may have been some temptation to make big splashes at the possible risk of long term fiscal stability.

For the most part, though, the Rams resisted that temptation.

Andrew Whitworth's signing was definitely a splash. Over the next year or two, he will likely be a stabilizing force on the Rams' OL (not to mention Jared Goff's best friend!). The Rams are paying him well, but in a couple of years, when age may catch up with him, the Rams won't be saddled with a long-term deal. Similarly, John Sullivan... another key short term addition, was signed to a one-year deal that gives the Rams time to groom a long-term solution at the center position.

Same goes for Conner Barwin. He is a key piece of the 3-4 puzzle, and should thrive under Wade Phillips. But as a 30something, he'd be a risky long-term prospect, so his one-year deal makes sense.

Another way to try to make a splash, while avoiding big ripples, is to sign players who are young and have upside, but do not yet demand elite money. Robert Woods and Kayvon Webster could prove to be examples of these types of signings.

I think its clear that McVay and his staff wish to field a strong opening day lineup in 2017, while still retaining the ability to evaluate players and to hold off on most long-term decisions until they see who fits the new system and who does not.

Will all this work? Who knows, but I have to say that its nice to be able to look at an approach and discern the logic behind it. I often did not feel that way when it came to personnel moves under Jeff Fisher. McVay seems to be a man with a plan.
                                -04-13-2017, 08:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X