Austin should never return punts again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin should never return punts again

What is that the 5th or 6th muffed punt this year? I don't care what his potential is, the reality is he sucks at catching punts. I can't figure out why he hasn't been replaced on punt returns yet.

Kupp was in for at least one. I could not believe when Austin came back in. The guy is spooked.

Comment

I can't wait to hear what McVay has to say about the punt return situation. Austin has a muff, Kupp is put in to return the next punt, then Austin is back in, then the muff that is lost, then Kupp is put back in. I'm not sure I get the strategy. It's clear Austin has lost all confidence returning punts, and should not be doing it.What gives??

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
        I can't wait to hear what McVay has to say about the punt return situation. Austin has a muff, Kupp is put in to return the next punt, then Austin is back in, then the muff that is lost, then Kupp is put back in. I'm not sure I get the strategy. It's clear Austin has lost all confidence returning punts, and should not be doing it.What gives??
        Honestly it just feels like they're trying to find any way they can to give him the ball and justify his stupidly overpriced paycheck. It's hurting this team and it has to stop. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

Honestly it just feels like they're trying to find any way they can to give him the ball and justify his stupidly overpriced paycheck. It's hurting this team and it has to stop. Period.
          Couldn't agree more. I've been advocating for him to be off punt returns for a while now. I just never feel safe when he's back there.

Comment

As I said on another thread, I applaud McVay for trying to involve Austin. The easiest thing in the world would be to bury the guy out of spite, but he hasn't done that. Austin is on our roster, and it makes sense for an offensive minded coach to utilize his skill set. Problem is, Austin is now performing poorly in the one area he was most valuable, the return game. This is bad news for him and bad news for us. He needs to pick himself up- and fast- or risk being buried on the roster.

Comment

I think I'd try someone else for a while (i.e. Pharoh Cooper). If the Rams get a big lead in a game, I might give Austin another chance to get his confidence back in this area... though I'd be fine if they don't.

Comment

Put Kupp back there, after he dropped the first one Kupp went back there, I was surprised to see him back there again.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
                  Could be, but why all the switching back and forth between returners? If the idea is to get Austin the ball as much as possible, why pull him at all? It simply makes no sense to me.

Comment

Completely agree. No matter what he can do with a return, the lack of ball security in fielding the punts is disqualifying, in my opinion. And, frankly, I don't like his approach to returns. This thing where he hesitates and stutters before starting upfield may have served him in college and lower levels where his quickness was transcendant, but in the NFL you better catch that kick and head upfield. You've got to run, see and think at the same time.

I wish Tavon well, but his draft selection and contract extension are personnel disasters by a team that has had many such disasters. McVay is stuck with him this year, and is obviously trying to get the most value he can out of the player, as a WR, RB and special teamer. But, based on my understanding of the salary cap ramifications, McVay owns the "Tavon issue" if he is on the roster next season. I don't expect that to be the case.

Comment

Just listened to McVay's presser, and he gave a pretty lame response to a question about Austin returning punts, saying Seattle had punts "with some good trajectory on it and a lot of movement, and those are tough to field". I know he wants to try and keep Austin confident, but come on.

Comment

Could be, but why all the switching back and forth between returners? If the idea is to get Austin the ball as much as possible, why pull him at all? It simply makes no sense to me.
                        Would be interesting to see if that was McVay or Fassel's idea. Bad idea whoever it was. I would love to hear Fassel's opinions on the matter.

On a side note the Giants lost 4 of their 5 starting WRs on Sunday, with 2 gone for the season. I'd trade Austin to them for a 6th in a hot second if they were interested at all.

Comment

Just listened to McVay's presser, and he gave a pretty lame response to a question about Austin returning punts, saying Seattle had punts "with some good trajectory on it and a lot of movement, and those are tough to field". I know he wants to try and keep Austin confident, but come on.
                          Ummm ,what? Come on McVay. Do what is best for the team. I hope this is one of those "cover in public" and do what is right behind the scenes.

Comment

Per McVay Tavon won't be returning punts for awhile. Going to give him a break from that duty.

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

Ummm ,what? Come on McVay. Do what is best for the team. I hope this is one of those "cover in public" and do what is right behind the scenes.
                              Just curious as to what you guys would have wanted him to say? We all see that Tavon is struggling with his confidence, and if we see it, don't you think McVay sees it?

I really don't think it's going to look good to the other guys on the team if McVay gets highly critical of Tavon in public. I'm not saying that's what you guys wanted, but you don't seem too happy with the way he handled it in public?

Comment

Working...
                              X