Horible clock management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horible clock management

I don't understand that billion dollar franchises can have such bad clock management. I've seen it numerous of times for different teams.
    Simple logic regarding use of timeouts close top Two minute Warming is ignored

Today the Rams lost 40 seconds because there are idiots.. Why do you tale a timeout with the clock running with 2:42 left and a 2nd a medium to go?... It makes no sence... It is a waste off a timeout which could have been used aften the 3rd Down giving offence 1:52 iso. 1:12...

Seriously i dont get it...
    Last edited by MrBagIndgang; -10-08-2017, 06:05 PM.

Were you a Rams fan during the Mike Martz era, this is nothing compared to the reckless use of TO's while he was head coach.

Go Rams!

Comment

I'm going to chalk it up to him being a rookie head coach and hope that it drastically improves in the future. I think we win this game if we had those timeouts left.

Comment

I questioned that too but in the end it was a non factor, Goff threw the walk off gaming winning TD, it was dropped. We made to many mistakes to say the time out used early where a major factor IMO. Plenty of things that cost us far more. I can name five.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
          Were you a Rams fan during the Mike Martz era, this is nothing compared to the reckless use of TO's while he was head coach.

Go Rams!
          mde8352gorams: My God, how right you are. Martz used to drive me absolutely crazy with his frivolous use of time outs.

Yesterday's clock management was poor, no doubt, but it didn't cost us. As Rambos said, we still had a legitimate opportunity to win the game and just didn't get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
            I questioned that too but in the end it was a non factor, Goff threw the walk off gaming winning TD, it was dropped. We made to many mistakes to say the time out used early where a major factor IMO. Plenty of things that cost us far more. I can name five.
            Off course it was a factor and a huge one. Instead og having 1 min on the 20 yard line we had 20 secs... How is that not a factor?

Comment

2 things I'd have to say about clock management from my perspective is that we don't always know what causes a TO to be called. The first one came as Goff was in or near the red zone as I recall and perhaps he was checking to make sure about a play call or on-field personnel. That isn't a wasted TO in a low scoring game like yesterday. Secondly, the sideline may feel there needs to be a stoppage for reasons I just listed or others critical to the success of the team at that point of the game. Yesterday while we were out of TO's at the end, Goff and the offense to their credit marched us down the field with the game winning play at hand. In time we'll complete that pass to Kupp. I am getting very confident about the talent we've assembled.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                2 things I'd have to say about clock management from my perspective is that we don't always know what causes a TO to be called. The first one came as Goff was in or near the red zone as I recall and perhaps he was checking to make sure about a play call or on-field personnel. That isn't a wasted TO in a low scoring game like yesterday. Secondly, the sideline may feel there needs to be a stoppage for reasons I just listed or others critical to the success of the team at that point of the game. Yesterday while we were out of TO's at the end, Goff and the offense to their credit marched us down the field with the game winning play at hand. In time we'll complete that pass to Kupp. I am getting very confident about the talent we've assembled.

Go Rams!
                I am not questioning the general use of timeouts. If the Coaches thinks they are usable earlier it is fine by me.

However when you take a timeout, with 2:42 to go in fourth quarter, directly after the opponent ran the ball op the middle, it is for one reason only - To stop the clock and give us 40 more seconds on the clock when the ball is back in our hands. BUT when you take the timeout with 2:42 to go you are not saving 40 seconds... You are saving 2-5 seconds. It is a complete waste of TO and I don't understand how billion dollar franchises are making such a mistake...

Comment

Originally posted by MrBagIndgang View Post
                  You are saving 2-5 seconds. It is a complete waste of TO and I don't understand how billion dollar franchises are making such a mistake...
                  Not only franchises, the whole industri. Did the commentators mention this at all during the game? One thing is the Rams taking the TO, wasting 40 precious seconds. That is BAD clock management, but also an in-game decision in a heated moment in which errors occur.
                  But I really can not understand how that error was not covered in the broadcast?
                  Did the commentators mention this once? They had a long time to reflect on it, and it would have been a great story for our last drive. That the Rams literally threw away their last timeout because they did not understand how the 2-min warning works. Did any of the post-game analytics mention it? I must admit I have not made extensive research, but I have not found any news article or postgame wrap-ups that mention the TO or asks the coaching staff about it, which is mind-boggling.

Comment

While I agree the clock management was questionable, I am more concerned about the entire game plan - including the play calling - in the game.

It seems as though they were planning for a low-impact team, and one thing we can count on with Seattle is that they NEVER play the Rams "low impact".
                    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                    RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBagIndgang View Post

I am not questioning the general use of timeouts. If the Coaches thinks they are usable earlier it is fine by me.

However when you take a timeout, with 2:42 to go in fourth quarter, directly after the opponent ran the ball op the middle, it is for one reason only - To stop the clock and give us 40 more seconds on the clock when the ball is back in our hands. BUT when you take the timeout with 2:42 to go you are not saving 40 seconds... You are saving 2-5 seconds. It is a complete waste of TO and I don't understand how billion dollar franchises are making such a mistake...
                      I have to agree with your assessment. I was only able to watch the game on Red Zone network, so I'm missing a lot of the analysis which occurs during the time-out, if I'm able to see the time-out at all.

Go Rams!

Comment

Working...
                      X