Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Waive Alexander, Add Thomas to Roster

Myles SimmonsRams

With the expiration of wide receiver Mike Thomas’ roster exemption, Los Angeles has waived safety Maurice Alexander to make room for Thomas on the 53-man roster.

The Rams selected Alexander in the fourth round of the 2014 draft. He was mainly a special teams contributor in nine games his rookie season, before filling in at strong safety for five starts in 2015. Last season, Alexander started 14 games at free safety for Los Angeles, recording a pair of interceptions, four passes defensed, and a sack. In all, Alexander appeared in 41 games, making 23 starts, for the franchise.

After starting the first four games of 2017, Alexander was inactive for Sunday’s contest against the Seahawks — a healthy scratch. Rookie safety John Johnson started at strong safety, recording an interception, two passes defensed, and three total tackles.

“We’ve got a lot of confidence in the depth that we do have at the safety positions,” head coach Sean McVay said postgame. “We wanted to get another corner up because of some of the situations that we have with the injuries. I thought you saw John Johnson, Cody [Davis] did a nice job today.”

McVay added Alexander’s deactivation was not a disciplinary matter.

“It wasn’t anything like that,” McVay said. “We’re always evaluating our personnel and trying to figure out how we can get the best 46 up and that is not exclusive to defense, that involves the special teams and that was the decision that we made. But, absolutely nothing to do with anything that Mo didn’t do in terms of handling his business off the field.”

In activating Thomas, the Rams now have seven wide receivers on their 53-man roster. McVay said he expected that to be the case last week.

I have to say, I did not see that coming. It was obvious that Johnson had passed him on the depth chart but... wow.

Comment

Wow. Very interesting move, and curious as to why they cut Mo outright instead of regulating him to back-up duties.

Comment

Tavon Austin (WR / RB)
        Pharoh Cooper
        Cooper Kupp
        Josh Reynolds
        Mike Thomas
        Sammy Watkins
        Robert Woods

Good group, excellent depth. Add Gurley to the passing game and, We ... M U S T ... be MORE productive. OL, TEs, Goff.

"Go Rams offense!" - -

Comment

The only thing about keeping 7 WRs is that we barely use the WRs that are outside our top 3. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not seen many 4-WR sets. Josh Reynolds and Pharaoh have barely seen the field. I don't really know if Michael Thomas provides an upgrade over those two, so I'm unsure as to whether his return will actually change anything.

I would much rather see Reynolds see more action in the redzone, as well as Sammy getting more focused plays, rather than trying to force balls to our back-up WRs.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
            The only thing about keeping 7 WRs is that we barely use the WRs that are outside our top 3. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not seen many 4-WR sets. Josh Reynolds and Pharaoh have barely seen the field. I don't really know if Michael Thomas provides an upgrade over those two, so I'm unsure as to whether his return will actually change anything.

I would much rather see Reynolds see more action in the redzone, as well as Sammy getting more focused plays, rather than trying to force balls to our back-up WRs.
            Snap breakdown according to PFF...

Woods: 271
            Watkins: 244
            Kupp: 220
            Austin: 62
            Cooper: 56
            Reynolds: 44

So there's a big drop off after the top three. It's worth pointing out that Higbee is 11th in the league in total snaps for a tight end (249), and Everett has 102 snaps. Carrier has 69.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
              I like your thinking on that, but I suspect there is a learning curve for Reynolds going on that will improve as the season progresses. Sammy too is on a learning curve despite his boasts about learning the playbook in a week. Tavon just sucks as a receiver so he'll be relegated to rb. Based on his punt performance I'm not sure he can even catch a cold. I must admit that Woods has impressed me with some very tough catches, plus being robbed of a TD in the Dallas game.

Go Rams!
              Last edited by mde8352gorams; -10-09-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Wow, just wow.

Comment

It's a surprise to see Mo Alexander being waived by the Rams. But at the same time, it can only be seen as a positive move when a team drafts a player and he becomes an upgrade over what we already had on the roster. I'd call it a promising development for the team and a good sign the Rams didn't draft a complete bust. I thought John Johnson stood out on a couple of plays versus the Cowboys. He made an excellent tackle to take down E.Elliot short of the marker on the 4th and 10 play to win the game. Then his interception of Wilson which he nearly took to the house against the Seahawks. For a rookie player, he is doing a heck of a job so far on the defense.
                  It's good to get back another WR back who specializes in being a deep threat as the Rams have been relying on Sammy Watkins to play in that role a little too much. It makes the offense a little predictable with only one deep threat out there so Thomas could very well have a positive effect when he is back in the lineup.
                  In time I expect the Rams to start using Josh Reynolds a lot more in the lineup, who may not be the fastest. But he brings another dimension to the receiving core with his size and excellent catching radius so I'm expecting to see more of Reynolds as the season wears on.

Comment

In keeping with the thread topic of rosters, what does everyone think of the Cardinals trading for Adrian Peterson this morning. Smacks of desperation to me. It will force us to account for him in our defensive scheme in London.

Go Rams!

Comment

Thomas barely played last year, how much is he going to play now?
                      I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict there is another issue at play.

Adrien Peterson is likely going to be completely worthless for the Cardinals. He doesn't know the offense so it'll take a while to get going and he was essentially cut by 2 teams at 32 years of age. I'm not worried.

Comment

Working...
                      X