Rams Hammer Houston 33-7; The Good, Bad and Ugly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Hammer Houston 33-7; The Good, Bad and Ugly

The Rams hammered the injury depleted Houston Texans 33-7 in Los Angeles today to push their record to 7-2. Overcoming a very slow first half by the offense, the defense caused 4 turnovers, the Rams didnt turn it over despite their early struggles and the squad continued to show its ability to explode offensively scoring points in large bursts while knocking out an inferior opponent. Our young qb continues to show improvement and Goff was sensational in the second half, once again showing an ability to hook up repeatedly with Robert Woods, who has turned into a terrific free agent pickup. Gurley had another strong all around game, we did well on special teams and showed the capability to snap out of our lackluster first half performance with a tremendous 21-0 third quarter that put the game away. Still plenty of room for improvement and let's hope that Saffold, Joyner, Watkins and Barwin are all 100% next week (along with Quinn) since the Rams are now entering the brutal part of the schedule.

The Good

The defense forced four turnovers (interceptions for barron (a huge play to stop a houston drive before half) and countess and fumble recoveries for Longacre (after the early Donald sack) and Walker (after the Ebukam sack in the second half) and had three sacks (Donald, Brockers who was excellent again, and Ebukam). The defense overcame some early run stopping and third down issues to finish with 283 yards allowed 4-13 on 3rd and 4th down and 17 first downs, despite the fact that the entire fourth quarter was garbage time. Very strong second half performance and the name of the game is points allowed and you are going to win just about every game that you only allow 7 points and have a plus 4 turnover ratio. Tree had 7 tackles and a sensational TD/INT that was called back for a ticky tacky holding call. The defense did not allow a houston td in three trips inside the red zone, and that was really key early in the game when the offense was limping along. Aaron Donald was outstanding today and the defense had a number of tackles for loss. We allowed 89 yards on 25 carries on the ground, a lot of that relatively early, once again, the adjustments out of halftime were excellent. Houston is obviously not a good offensive team without watson and there are certainly things to clean up, but this was an overall solid performance. I dont think you can underestimate the INT by barron after the fake punt failed and we were down 7-6 and they had a chance to go up 14-6 before half after a Rams 3rd down penalty gave them a first down at our 13. We moved down the field and kicked a field goal to take a 9-7 lead and although we were lousy all half, we took away their momentum at the very end of the half.

The second half offense was dynamite (see bad section for comments on the first half offense). Given time to throw, Goff was sensational in the second half. He finished 25-37-355 (a new career high) 3tds and no turnovers for a 125.4 rating. He showed poise and patience in the second half. Goff still has room to improve, he held the ball too long a couple of times leading to 2 of the 3 sacks and was not as accurate as he could have been early on. In the second half however, the 94 yard bomb to woods was a thing of beauty. Woods was terrific with 8-171-2tds. The Offense scored 14 points in 19 seconds in the third quarter to put the game away. TD passes to Watkins (beautiful blocking by Whitworth) and Woods (a great looking wide receiver screen). Some nice runs by gurley (a great 34 yarder at the end) who finished with 11 carries for 68 yards and 6 catches for 68 yards (including a 50 yard screen catch in the first half). The Rams showed real big play capability once again and the offensive line was a ton better in the second half. Nice adjustments at halftime by mcvay. Kupp was solid with some nice third down catches (6-47). We wound up 6-16 on third down which isnt great but much better after the slow start. The 21-0 3rd quarter was a huge shot in the arm after the early offensive struggles, and those points were set up by a punt return, a turnover and of course the bomb to woods. The offense finished with 33 points (right on our league leading average), 19 first downs, 443 yards, 2 tds in five trips to the red zone (need improvement there) and NO TURNOVERS. A slow start is one thing, but at least we didnt shoot ourselves in the foot and dig a big hole with turnovers early.

Special teams was strong. Nice punt return by cooper. Leg 4-4 with a really important 50 yard kick to put us into the lead 9-7 right before half. Hekker was 4-51.1 plus 1-1 throwing for 6 yards on the fake to cooper that fell short of a first down.

Dunbar had a couple of nice runs to run out the clock. Nothing huge, but nice to see him looking competitive as he now has the backup role with Brown out for a while. He did drop one pass.

The Bad

Potential injuries. Saffold went out late with an ankle. He walked off and was walking on the sideline. He is crucial for us. Joyner got hurt, came back and i think he got hurt again. I think it was his hip. We are thin back there, need him. Watkins hurt his foot, came back into the game. Barwin hurt early and came back in.

Way too many penalties. 10-86, including some stupid and costly ones defensively on 3rd down and one that cost us a td on the tree int/td.. The goff grounding penalty was stupid.
    Offense was lousy in first half. We couldnt block clowney, goff was under pressure and off. No room for gurley to run. We looked lethargic on offense. Against houston without watson you get away with that. With the games we have coming up, we need to start strong, we can't afford to play only half the game on offense. Havenstein struggled in first half. We didnt turn it over in the first half which was key, but we gave houston great field position and put a ton of pressure on the defense. We dont want to see that continue as the schedule toughens up.

We missed some assignments on defense that concern me again (like last week vs giants). Against houston, again, didnt ultimately matter. Against brees and minnesota, we may not get away with it. Bad angle by johnson on the houston td by ellington. Hopkins wound up with 7-111, some of that was in garbage time. You would thing we would have given robey coleman some more help, watkins was just sensational. Gave up too many runs up the middle and allowed too many early third down conversions.

Every time austin touches the ball he seems to go backwards and lose yardage.
    Tru dropped a sure pick six in the first half.
    We need to do better in the red zone on td conversions. 2-5 isnt good enough against playoff teams. We missed an opportunity early after the turnover when goff missed everett open for a td.

The Ugly

Sorry LA fans, the crowd size was ugly in my view. I understand the stadium is huge. The Rams are winning and doing so in an exciting way. I see no reason why there should be lower level open seats let alone seats on the 50 yard line empty in the upper deck. Support the squad! I am not saying the stadium was empty, but at 6-2 and in first place, you would think more people would show up.

Summary

Hard to say what happened to the offense in the first half.. Did McVay not have the Rams ready to play? Was houston just that good defensively? Did we not game plan effectively to give havenstein help on clowney since clowney didnt line up at all over Whitworth. We obviously cleaned it up in the second half, but keep in mind we have playoff caliber teams coming up and we need to be ready to play right out of the gate as good teams are not going to self destruct the way that some of our recent opponents have done. It is encouraging that in a game the Rams should have won, and frankly should have won big, they avoided turnovers and big mistakes in the first half, caused some turnovers, didnt dig a hole for themselves and blew out houston in the third quarter to put the game away. The Rams did what they should have done, its a hold serve, nothing more, but great to get the win in any event.

The key today is to hope that the injuries are not serious. We need to be at full strength next week against a very good minnesota team lead by our old friend Case Keenum who threw 4 tds today to beat washington on the road. Minnesota is strong on both sides of the ball, we are going to need solid pass rush and goff is going to need to be strong and make the big throws as it may be tough sledding for gurley. Let's hope we have saffold in the game to help with the blocking.

The Rams can not look past Minnesota of course, but the next three weeks are really critical in my view. We are 7-2. Not conceding anything, but philly and seattle on the road are really tough games. If we want to win the division, let alone make the playoffs, how we fare against Minnesota, New Orleans and Tennessee (road) are going to be really critical, along with the road game at arizona (a game we should win but a division road game) and the home game vs the whiners.

I think we are going to learn a lot about where this Rams team is in the next couple of weeks. We are obviously a solid team that is massively improves with an excellent young qb and a bright future. What is this season however going to turn out to be? There are no real limits on this rams team but can we beat playoff caliber teams in games that are not blowouts? Can Goff win one for us in the 4th quarter with the game on the line? It should be interesting to see.

Let's hope that we are ready to play, as healthy as possible and up for the challenges that lie ahead. For tonight, enjoy the trouncing of the Texans, its always nice to win and its really great to do so without any stress in the fourth quarter.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Great write-up. Minnesota will indeed be tough. Road game vs. a quality team and a QB who'd like nothing more than to beat our brains in. I have tremendous respect for Mike Zimmer, who has lost his starting QB (Teddy Bridgewater), lost the guy he traded for who was playing well (Sam Bradford), then lost Dalvin Cook- and is still 7-2 atop his division. Exhibit A on what a great coach does- and also why injury excuses ring hollow.

The Rams have had a wonderful run thus far and have given us all hope we haven't had in years. But the next three weeks will present a tremendous test for us. No easy games the rest of the way, and it will be interesting to see how the Rams play when they're in a dogfight for 4 quarters with teams of this caliber.

Comment

Yeah was at the game and there were a lot of empty seats. I feel the loss of Deshaun Watson for Houston made the game less appealing to some Rams fans. I do agree we need more more fans in the stadium and get behind this team. The atmosphere should be rocking for a team that is playing the way we are.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Ram View Post

The [LAR] atmosphere should be rocking for a team that is playing the way we are.

Quite right. Absolutely. Come on people, take those seats and MAKE SOME NOISE ! ! ! - -

Comment

Very good write-up GC. You took the words out of my mouth when you say "we're going to learn a lot about the Rams team this year over the next weeks". Of the 7 remaining games 5 are v teams with winning records. BTW, Philly is a home game, but still tough regardless. Minny will be interesting as facing our old friend Case Keenum will test us. Hopefully Jeff Fisher left some notes around the office on Keenum's strengths and weaknesses. If Bradford were there we could call the the game the "ex-Ram QB's convention".

Looking forward as the game will be televised in full in San Francisco due to the ***** bye week. As I'm limited to RZ network I had no idea about the injuries to Joyner, Barwin and Watkins. Joyner in my mind is key as we'll need to contain Thielen and Diggs and Rudolph too. Our offense will need to to be efficient too as their defense has been very strong all year. Reading that Saffold could have returned is good too as our O-Line will need to protect Goff v their D-Line.

I'm hoping the Seattle game gets flexed into a Sunday night game. Currently I thinks its Dallas and Philly. Dallas is always a ratings draw, but LA is the #2 TV market and should get big numbers based on the importance of the game.

I like what we saw yesterday in terms of Rams adjustments in the 2nd half. Ask Dak Prescott who got sacked 6 times by Adrian Clayborn if he would have liked to see any adjustments. Won't lose any sleep over it, but Dallas is so poorly coached.

Finally, I asked myself if signing Robert Woods to a long-term deal was smart after we drafted Kupp and Reynolds and traded for Watkins. I know the signing was prior to those events, but I'm no longer asking myself that question. The next 7 games will be great to witness as we're finally a team with outstanding talent that can take the field with any team. For those who worry about the crowds I've been a Rams fan for many, many years and I cannot recall the Coliseum consistently selling out back in the '70's even when there was the Fearsome Foursome.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

For those who worry about the crowds I've been a Rams fan for many, many years and I cannot recall the Coliseum consistently selling out back in the '70's even when there was the Fearsome Foursome.

Go Rams!
            My dad was at the game this past weekend. Like you, he was attending games in the 70's (& 80's). He also caught half of the home games during the St. Louis years.
            He told me on Monday that the crowd was louder against Houston this past Sunday then they ever were back in the day. He actually seemed quite pleased with the crowd noise on behalf of the Rams when comparing it to 30 years ago. Kinda surprising given how much we hear (conjecture or otherwise) about LA not supporting the Rams this year all of a sudden. So, while there may be some seats available, at least the ones showing up are doing it right.

Just thought it was interesting about what you said, given he told me nearly the exact same thing just a few days ago.....for what it's worth. Go Rams!

Comment

I remember them mentioning that they capped the ticket sales at 65,000 and 60k were sold. So with the cap, that automatically leaves nearly 30k seats open regardless of it "sellng out".

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

My dad was at the game this past weekend. Like you, he was attending games in the 70's (& 80's). He also caught half of the home games during the St. Louis years.
                He told me on Monday that the crowd was louder against Houston this past Sunday then they ever were back in the day. He actually seemed quite pleased with the crowd noise on behalf of the Rams when comparing it to 30 years ago. Kinda surprising given how much we hear (conjecture or otherwise) about LA not supporting the Rams this year all of a sudden. So, while there may be some seats available, at least the ones showing up are doing it right.

Just thought it was interesting about what you said, given he told me nearly the exact same thing just a few days ago.....for what it's worth. Go Rams!
                Thanks for sharing that Koakoi. I actually go back as a Rams fan even further into the '60's. I was a NY'er then so I rooted from a distance, but I remember that the football universe in LA was dominated by USC with an occasional outburst from UCLA who played their games at the Coliseum. Attendance was quality over quantity as the celebs from Hollywood like Kirk Douglas were usually seen at Ram games. LA is like NY when it comes to sports, baseball and basketball dominate, the Dodgers and Lakers were the crowd draws like Yankees and Knicks in NY.

I am glad to hear that support is gaining. LA is like NY in respect to liking a winner and right now the Rams are certainly doing that. I'll bet when the Inglewood stadium is done it will crank the enthusiasm up a whole lot. Although spending the rest of the day on the 405 may discourage some fans.

Hope your Dad is enjoying this resurgence as much as the rest of us on the site.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Thanks for sharing that Koakoi. I actually go back as a Rams fan even further into the '60's. I was a NY'er then so I rooted from a distance, but I remember that the football universe in LA was dominated by USC with an occasional outburst from UCLA who played their games at the Coliseum. Attendance was quality over quantity as the celebs from Hollywood like Kirk Douglas were usually seen at Ram games. LA is like NY when it comes to sports, baseball and basketball dominate, the Dodgers and Lakers were the crowd draws like Yankees and Knicks in NY.

I am glad to hear that support is gaining. LA is like NY in respect to liking a winner and right now the Rams are certainly doing that. I'll bet when the Inglewood stadium is done it will crank the enthusiasm up a whole lot. Although spending the rest of the day on the 405 may discourage some fans.

Hope your Dad is enjoying this resurgence as much as the rest of us on the site.

Go Rams!
                  Word. Yeah, he moved to CA from Hawaii in '68. A bunch of his college buddies were Rams fans and would go to the games. He jumped in with them right away and remembers seeing them play with Roman Gabriel at the helm. (I was just a twinkle in his eye back then). Our family has been die hards ever since. Good stuff!

Comment