Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We all know where this is headed, don't we?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all know where this is headed, don't we?

December 17 @ Seattle.

Is it any surprise that, if the Rams are going to conquer the West, that is the day and place it will likely happen?

Right now, the Rams have a 1 game lead over Seattle.

This week, both teams will have tough match-ups, as the Rams host the Eagles and the Seahawks are at the Jaguars.

If the Rams win and the Seahawks lose, the game at Seattle is diminished in importance, as it sets up a scenario in which the Rams could actually get swept by the Seahawks and still hold the lead in the division.

The other three outcomes for this weekend, however, set up a major showdown.

Both win: Rams (10-3) would have a one game lead over Seattle (9-4)
    Both lose: Rams (9-4) would have a one game lead over Seattle (8-5)
    Rams lose/Seahawks win: Rams and Seahawks tied (9-4)

A Rams loss @ Seattle would, of course, mean that the Rams could only win the division outright, as Seattle would hold the first tiebreaker.

A Rams win @ Seattle would put them in a good position to win the division outright, though the tiebreaker (if Seattle catches up in the final two weeks) would likely go to the third level - common opponents - which remains too close to call.

The Rams beat the Seahawks in Seattle in 2015. Time for another road win!

Eagles first, though. ;)

The craziest thing about all of this is the fact the loser in week 17 will likely get the wild card and the winner wins the division. As of now, regardless of the outcome, it's entirely possible we will play again the following week in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post
      The craziest thing about all of this is the fact the loser in week 17 will likely get the wild card and the winner wins the division. As of now, regardless of the outcome, it's entirely possible we will play again the following week in the playoffs.
      Definitely could happen.

Right now, the Rams are a game ahead of Carolina (8-4) and two games ahead of Atlanta (7-5) in the race for two Wild Card spots (assuming Seattle wins the West). The next three (Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay) are at 6-6 and not much of a threat at this point. Atlanta plays New Orleans on Thursday. We should really be pulling for the Saints, as they could push Atlanta closer to elimination. The Panthers also have a tough one this week vs. Minnesota.

All in all, I think the Rams have a very good chance of winning the West, and an excellent chance of making the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

Definitely could happen.

Right now, the Rams are a game ahead of Carolina (8-4) and two games ahead of Atlanta (7-5) in the race for two Wild Card spots (assuming Seattle wins the West). The next three (Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay) are at 6-6 and not much of a threat at this point. Atlanta plays New Orleans on Thursday. We should really be pulling for the Saints, as they could push Atlanta closer to elimination. The Panthers also have a tough one this week vs. Minnesota.

All in all, I think the Rams have a very good chance of winning the West, and an excellent chance of making the postseason.
        Ironically I was pulling for Atlanta to win yesterday as that would have kept Seattle out of the playoffs, but Carolina losing gave them an entry back in. The bottom line we must win in Seattle. It will require Alec Ogletree to be healthy and having Woods back would help as well, but I really feel that Robert Quinn will be pivotal as he can help contain Russell Wilson from scrambling around to buy time for receivers to get open. Our offense will be important to give our defenders a rest as I think they'll get winded running around as Wilson extends plays. Aaron Donald can help too with some penalty-free smackdowns.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post
          You said this, and it instantly reminded me of 2004 where the Seahawks won the division but the Rams got in as a wild card and beat them in the first round in Seattle. Hopefully this year's group takes care of business and wraps up the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            You said this, and it instantly reminded me of 2004 where the Seahawks won the division but the Rams got in as a wild card and beat them in the first round in Seattle. Hopefully this year's group takes care of business and wraps up the division.
            Not only did we beat them in the playoffs that year, we swept then during the season as well, including a thrilling OT win in Seattle, which prompted this iconic Rams moment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IsaacBruceHelmet041.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	817540

Comment

You see that picture in my signature?

That's "Rams Cat". She's happy because she got to taste freshly defeated Cardinal meat...and now, she has a taste for birds of all kinds. Oh, she's young and small, and sometimes she's about as coordinated as Otis from the Andy Griffith Show - but she's persistent and keeps fighting until she gets what she wants.

And right now, the Rams WANT that playoff spot.

They will keep fighting until all hope is gone and the last whistle blows.

Now for a question...we have Cardinals around here, even in the winter. I know we have hawks around here - and I need a substitute for an eagle, because the only eagles I know of close by are protected by law....but where in the hell does anyone find an actual "seahawk"?
              temp_4394_1467243487543_20
              RAMS!

Comment

First off, I agree. The minute we lost to the Vikings our season pointed straight to Seattle.

Crazy season. And exciting. It's December and we're still here talking!

Anyone know the tie breaker for the wild card? Is it conference wins after head to head? I believe so....

because on one hand, if we beat the Eagles we will be sitting in the number 2 spot with a bye week.

on the other hand, should we lose to Philly and then face a tough game in Seattle, we could find ourselves tied with Carolina and Atlanta for a wild card spot.

Atlanta loss was big as we have a 1 game cushion.... for now.

i'd rather focus on the positive scenario, but can't help but be concerned that all our losses were in the NFC.

also, I think the Eagles were somewhat exposed vs. Seattle. I think we can take the Eagles.... not so sure about the Sea Hags.

Comment

While my eye is still on the Division Championship prize, the Wild Card race is looking very favorable.

Assuming Seattle wins the West, here are the standings for the Wild Cards (top 2 make it):

Rams 9-4
                  Panthers 8-3

Falcons 7-5
                  Cowboys 6-6
                  Lions 6-6
                  Packers 6-6
                  Redskins 5-7
                  Cardinals 5-7

The Falcons are obviously the biggest threat, but they have a very tough schedule (New Orleans, @Tampa, @New Orleans, Carolina). I would not be surprised if they lose at least 2 of those games.

Essentially, if the Rams get to 10 wins, the likelihood of them missing the playoffs is slim, and if they win 11, they're pretty much in (not 100% sure if that's a mathematical certainty, but its at least an extremely high probability).

Comment

Looking at the scenarios, the earliest the Rams could clinch a playoff spot is on 12/17. It could happen one of two ways:

If the Rams win their next two (Eagles, @Seahawks), and the Seahawks lose their next two (@Jaguars, Rams), then the Rams would have a 3 game lead with 2 to go and would win the division.

Also, if the Rams win their next two (bringing their record to 11-3), and the Falcons fail to win both of their next two (New Orleans, @Tampa), the Rams would clinch a Wild Card.

Comment

While my eye is still on the Division Championship prize, the Wild Card race is looking very favorable.

Assuming Seattle wins the West, here are the standings for the Wild Cards (top 2 make it):

Rams 9-4
                      Panthers 8-3

Falcons 7-5
                      Cowboys 6-6
                      Lions 6-6
                      Packers 6-6
                      Redskins 5-7
                      Cardinals 5-7

The Falcons are obviously the biggest threat, but they have a very tough schedule (New Orleans, @Tampa, @New Orleans, Carolina). I would not be surprised if they lose at least 2 of those games.

Essentially, if the Rams get to 10 wins, the likelihood of them missing the playoffs is slim, and if they win 11, they're pretty much in (not 100% sure if that's a mathematical certainty, but its at least an extremely high probability).
                      Given your scenario, I agree winning the division is most important. If we have a home game in round 1 that will be much preferable than playing in Seattle or New Orleans or Atlanta. With 2 games v NO, Atlanta has a great chance to win the NFC South. Plus all their remaining games are divisional so they enhance their tie-breaking chances there too.

We are not intimidated by Seattle and mostly play them tough. It'll be about containing Russell Wilson. I learned this AM that of Seattle's 30 TD's he's responsible for 29 of them either via the pass or running. It won't be easy but that sort of imbalance should give Wade a pretty good chance at devising a good defensive scheme.

Go Rams!

Comment

I have said for a few weeks that sweeping the NFC West remaining games gives us the NFC West title. Cards game, check. The Hags have lost two games at home recently. Skins and Falcons. The Rams play the Hags tough. Then we have the Whiners. Get those two games and we have a playoff team. Eagles and Titans I think we split.........

I fully expect two more Hag losses.......Right Dez?

Comment

Don't forget all other games. The Rams could miss playoffs entirely or be a 11-5 or 10-6 fourth seed.

Comment

Originally posted by hugobezdek View Post
                            Don't forget all other games. The Rams could miss playoffs entirely or be a 11-5 or 10-6 fourth seed.
                            What, exactly, do you think you're adding to this thread?

I've stated very clearly that the Rams have not clinched a playoff birth, nor can they this weekend.

That said, unless they fail to win another game, it is unlikely that they will miss the playoffs. Even at 10-6, they'd have a good shot at the Wild Card (and, if their win is against Seattle, a chance at the division title).

Comment

What, exactly, do you think you're adding to this thread?

I've stated very clearly that the Rams have not clinched a playoff birth, nor can they this weekend.

That said, unless they fail to win another game, it is unlikely that they will miss the playoffs. Even at 10-6, they'd have a good shot at the Wild Card (and, if their win is against Seattle, a chance at the division title).
                              It' not unlikely at all. The Rams fate depends on the lions,falcons,saints and seahawks all screwing up at the right time in the right games.

I'm adding my opinion. You don' have to like it. I' not some rah rah 12 year old. Talking about sports is humorous,fun time frivolity.not some serious issue I need to agree with you on.
                              I already know the Rams won't be in the SB this year.so the question is simply where do they finish..
                              the game against Seattle will be an all or nothing game to make. Playoffs. That will be true even if they beat phila. This week.
                              dude, this fun time joke around stuff when talking about sports. Not some serious debate where I need to be pro Rams at every turn.
                              after youv'e dealt with various life issues,you realize sports is just that silly thing you watch on tv for fun. It doesn' t mean anything in my life if I'm right or wrong about the Rams. Nothing good or bad will happen to me no matter what they do.
                              so stop acting like I'm bad mouthing your family lol its just sports

Comment