I think we need more Gurley!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we need more Gurley!

In the last three weeks, the Rams have faced the #18 (Saints), #7 (Cardinals), and #1 (Eagles) run defenses in the NFL.

Todd Gurley has carried the ball 49 times in these games for 244 yards (a hair under 5.0 ypc).

This week, they face another tough run defense in Seattle (though it could be substantially weakened if Bobby Wagner (hamstring), K.J. Wright (concussion), Michael Bennett (possible suspension), Quinton Jefferson (possible suspension), and Sheldon Richardson (possible suspension) are unavailable), and an opposing QB who you'd like to keep off the field.

Its time to feed Gurley.

Gurley has carried the ball 20 or more times in only four games this year. The Rams are 4-0 in those games (and 2-0 in the two games in which he had 19 carries).

Its time to get back to basics.

Pound the ball. Play action. Pound the ball some more. More play action.

If we've been saving Gurley and keeping him fresh, I'd say this is the week to turn him loose.

Gurley has 20 touches in 7 games this year. We are 7-0. AV is dead spot on

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I agree. Gurley is running like a demon lately and we need to keep that going. I suspect with Woods coming back this week (hopefully) that will open things up defensively even more. Its great to have Watkins and Kupp but Woods being out upset the balance. I'm thinking that Woods being out pushed Gurley into a more receiver role on checkdowns.

Go Rams!

Comment

MDE, i agree with you, but where was gurley yesterday on more checkdowns and swing passes to get the ball in his hands? Isolate him outside. Why does everything have to be a deep throw down the field? What is especially galling is that with woods out there is no real additional reliance on sammy. we are treating him like an afterthought in the offense. the corner is playing 10 yards off him time and again and i have not seen goff call one audible to throw a quick screen to him and give him the chance to break a tackle, or at least take the easy six yard gain.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I agree. A lot of us in my section at the game yesterday kept wondering why were there so many pass plays being called ?? In the Red Zone on first down ?? We didn't see the need when you have a back like Gurley in there. I also agree with General Counsel. There were plenty of opportunities to get the ball to Watkins, but the RAMS weren't taking advantage of them. I like Goff's ability to change plays at the line, but I believe that McVay is overthinking things...
          Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
            ...Why does everything have to be a deep throw down the field?
            That was my issue with the Rams offense as well. So many of the other top offenses in the league have those easy dump offs if everyone is covered but we continue to see plays called that leave Goff sitting in the pocket for way too long.

Gurley is one of the best offensive weapons in the league. 20 carries and 5-7 receptions should be his base workload. Use him to control the clock and keep our defense on the bench because they're not quite where they need to be yet.

Comment

Why wouldn't he put Gurley in for more touches?
              "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

This tweet sums it up for me...

Rich Hammond‏ (@Rich_Hammond)
                Re: McVay/Gurley, the Rams have run the ball on 44.7% of plays this season, which is 9th highest in NFL. Gurley has 236 carries, third-most in NFL. The Rams score a ton. But why does something still seem a little off?
                11:47 AM - 11 Dec 2017
                It's these instances where the big picture numbers don't make it seem like a problem, but then you look at yesterday's game and it clearly was an issue. it's easy to forget sometimes that McVay is a young coach and is still finding his way; there are some veteran coaches (Andy Reid) who still haven't figured this stuff out. I think McVay realizes the weapon he has in Gurley, but I agree he should have done a better job getting him the football yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                  In the last three weeks, the Rams have faced the #18 (Saints), #7 (Cardinals), and #1 (Eagles) run defenses in the NFL.

Todd Gurley has carried the ball 49 times in these games for 244 yards (a hair under 5.0 ypc).

This week, they face another tough run defense in Seattle (though it could be substantially weakened if Bobby Wagner (hamstring), K.J. Wright (concussion), Michael Bennett (possible suspension), Quinton Jefferson (possible suspension), and Sheldon Richardson (possible suspension) are unavailable), and an opposing QB who you'd like to keep off the field.

Its time to feed Gurley.

Gurley has carried the ball 20 or more times in only four games this year. The Rams are 4-0 in those games (and 2-0 in the two games in which he had 19 carries).

Its time to get back to basics.

Pound the ball. Play action. Pound the ball some more. More play action.

If we've been saving Gurley and keeping him fresh, I'd say this is the week to turn him loose.
                  Here, I totally agree with you. The Rams passed the ball on 14 of their first 17 plays yesterday despite Gurley running well thru the Philly defense the few times he touched the ball. Simply put, the Rams need more balance. While I appreciate the season Goff is having and McVay's confidence in his ability to throw the football, he's not Peyton Manning. And when you have a back the caliber of Gurley, you use him- period. This will also help the defense, who was on the field for entirely too long yesterday.

Can't help but see a little Mike Martz in McVay. I'm not really worried, because there doesn't appear to be a trace of arrogance in McVay and he's a young coach finding his way, but I think he needs to better grasp the importance of utilizing the running game more.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Here, I totally agree with you. The Rams passed the ball on 14 of their first 17 plays yesterday despite Gurley running well thru the Philly defense the few times he touched the ball. Simply put, the Rams need more balance. While I appreciate the season Goff is having and McVay's confidence in his ability to throw the football, he's not Peyton Manning. And when you have a back the caliber of Gurley, you use him- period. This will also help the defense, who was on the field for entirely too long yesterday.

Can't help but see a little Mike Martz in McVay. I'm not really worried, because there doesn't appear to be a trace of arrogance in McVay and he's a young coach finding his way, but I think he needs to better grasp the importance of utilizing the running game more.
                    Lord Almighty.....I was thinking the same thing during yesterday's game. And I promise you I cringed at the thought. Look we all appreciate what Mad Mike did to help us win a Super Bowl but he showed himself incompetent and incapable of being a head coach; and I don't want that to happen to Sean McVay.
                    Coach Mac needs to realize that THIS year's offense runs through Todd Gurley and NOT Jared Goff (at least for this year anyway......). I have little doubt that in the near future it will become Goff's team, but for now it is the Gurley man's. His play calling needs to get back to what has made 2017 a very good and successful year.

And with the hated SeaSquawks this week it is high time to feed #30 and let him lead us to the NFC West title.

~RAMarkable~

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                      Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
                      Nick
                      Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
                      By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
                      PUBLISHED: December 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm | UPDATED: December 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — For all the good that Coach Sean McVay has brought to the Rams this year — an enormous amount — a persistent question remains. What’s going on with Todd Gurley’s usage?

The Rams are 7-0 when Gurley touches the ball at least 20 times in a game, either on handoffs or receptions, and they’re 2-4 when he doesn’t reach that mark. Gurley had 16 touches for 135 yards on Sunday in the Rams’ loss to Philadelphia, which tied his lowest touch total of the season.

That requires some context. The Rams ran only 45 offensive plays against the Eagles, so Gurley’s touches accounted for 35.6 percent of their offense, which is on par with his usage all season.
                      Still, McVay’s usage of Gurley didn’t pass the eye test. Philadelphia entered the game with a superb run defense that had averaged only 3.5 yards allowed per attempt, but Gurley ran for 30 yards on the Rams’ second play and scored a touchdown on the next play. Gurley averaged 7.4 yards per rush attempt.

Gurley and the Rams’ offensive line clearly could move the ball against the Eagles, but Gurley had only 13 carries (for 96 yards), while quarterback Jared Goff attempted 26 passes (and completed 16).

“Any time we’re running the football like that, I’ve got to do a better job of making sure that he gets enough touches to get into the flow, especially when we’re getting some good movement,” McVay said during his Monday news conference at Cal Lutheran.

“It is a delicate balance. At the end of the day, however you want to cut it, I’ve got to get him going and give him more opportunities, with the way he was running, and have a better feel for the flow of the game. That was something I didn’t think I did very well.”

McVay also pointed out, correctly, quite fairly, that the low number of plays took the Rams out of sync, and credited the Eagles defense for doing a good job against the Rams’ first-down plays, particularly some of the play-action stuff that had been successful all season.

McVay also talked about the need for run-pass balance, and at times, McVay seemed to stray too far.

The Rams held a 35-34 lead with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter when, on a first-and-10 play, McVay called a play-action pass. Eagles defensive end Chris Long sprinted around Rams tackle Darrell Williams, who had entered the game two plays earlier, and forced a Goff strip-sack fumble.

Philadelphia went on to kick a go-ahead field goal, and after the game, McVay was forthright in saying that he should have called a better play. Perhaps the Rams should have kept the ball on the ground?

It’s not as though the Rams have been ignoring Gurley. They’ve...
                      -12-11-2017, 09:09 PM
                    • RockinRam
                      Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
                      RockinRam
                      • By Chris Wesseling
                      • Around the NFL Writer
                      • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
                      • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
                      Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
                      -01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
                    • Nick
                      Todd Gurley has 'been loving' Sean McVay's offense
                      Nick
                      Todd Gurley has 'been loving' Sean McVay's offense
                      By Jeremy Bergman NFL.com
                      Published: July 8, 2017 at 03:25 p.m. Updated: July 9, 2017 at 08:28 a.m.

Todd Gurley's first season in Hollywood was next to nightmarish.

After a promising rookie campaign, the former Offensive Rookie of the Year saw his yards per carry average dip to 3.2 and barely saw any opportunities to break big runs behind an ineffective offensive line. It also didn't help that the Rams quarterbacks were the least feared signal-callers west of Florham Park, inspiring opposing linebackers and safeties to crowd the box and limit Gurley's options.

But with new coach Sean McVay at the helm, Gurley is rejuvenated with hopes that his second go-around in the Coliseum will bear better results.

"I hope so," Gurley said, when asked by Zig Fracassi on SiriusXM NFL Radio if he expects Los Angeles' offense to be more "Gurley-friendly" in 2017. "Yeah, Coach. Tell Coach we want it Todd-friendly."

Gurley added that he has "definitely been loving" McVay's style of offense, which for now has the back focusing on daily preparation and being a "situational master." NFL Network's Gregg Rosenthal noted during minicamp that the Rams were moving the third-year back all around the offensive formation: in motion out of the backfield, outside the hashes, etc.

Inspiring the tailback this offseason is the development of second-year quarterback Jared Goff, who had shown in minicamp to be a more than competent option at QB.

"Oh, he's been getting better. Obviously, he didn't go No. 1 for no reason. He has the talent, and he's just been getting better," Gurley gushed. "He definitely had a great OTAs, great minicamp. Coaches have been doing a good job with him. Just his preparation, him being there all day, he's been great so far, man, so I'm definitely looking forward to it."

The running back's comments this summer are a far cry from what Gurley was saying just seven months ago about the state of L.A.'s attack. Following the Rams' loss to Atlanta in Week 14 -- a defeat that proved career-fatal for then-coach Jeff Fisher -- Gurley mused that his unit looked like a "middle school offense out there." In January, he told NFL Network's Rich Eisen that the Rams' 4-12 campaign was "like a nightmare."

It's still summer, and nary a Ram has yet to put on pads. But it sounds as if Gurley has already graduated from last year's middle-school nightmare to a professional dream.

After all, as Gurley puts it, "It can't get any worse than it did last year."
                      -07-09-2017, 08:01 AM
                    • Nick
                      Despite Impressive 2017, Gurley Still Looking to Improve
                      Nick
                      Despite Impressive 2017, Gurley Still Looking to Improve
                      Posted Jun 14, 2018
                      Kristen Lago
                      Rams Writer/Reporter
                      @kristennlago

As the Rams capped their 2018 offseason program, running back Todd Gurley was understandably excited for the upcoming summer break.

“Definitely been looking forward to this day just to have a little time off,” he said Wednesday.
                      “We come back and then the real games begin.”

After recording his best season to date in 2017, the Georgia product approached the offseason with a similar level of tenacity — excited to improve bit by bit each day. And while that might sound a bit surprising to most, considering Gurley was near perfect on field last year, his focus has continued to revolve around perfecting the details.

“Just working all around from alignment, assignment, depth in routes, whatever it is — footwork or making sure I’m on the same page as my linemen,” he said. “So, just trying to work on all the little small things and stuff.”

Entering OTAs and minicamp under the same offensive scheme and head coach has aided the All-Pro running back. Like many of the players entering Year 2 under Sean McVay, Gurley said the level of comfort in the system has made this offseason a bit easier than the last.

“Obviously we know the plays and we’re still adding stuff and what not, but it’s been a long offseason,” Gurley said. “A lot of stuff you kind of forget and then it kinda clicks back and you remember. We changed a lot of stuff, but for the most part we feel pretty confident just knowing that it’s the same offense.”

Despite the increased confidence, Gurley maintains there is always room for improvement. And though making individual objectives for the upcoming season isn’t for him, he does have one goal top of mind.

“The main goal is the team goal — just try to go out there and give my team whatever coach asks me to do,” Gurley explained. “I don’t worry about goals or anything like that. Like I said, just try to come out here and get better everyday. Whatever happens, happens as long as you know you put in the best effort to be in a good position.”
                      -06-15-2018, 08:01 PM
                    • r8rh8rmike
                      Fassel On Gurley Struggling With Confidence
                      r8rh8rmike
                      Here is what Fassel said when asked about Gurley's confidence level:...
                      -12-31-2016, 09:00 AM
                    Working...
                    X