Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?

Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
    By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
    PUBLISHED: December 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm | UPDATED: December 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — For all the good that Coach Sean McVay has brought to the Rams this year — an enormous amount — a persistent question remains. What’s going on with Todd Gurley’s usage?

The Rams are 7-0 when Gurley touches the ball at least 20 times in a game, either on handoffs or receptions, and they’re 2-4 when he doesn’t reach that mark. Gurley had 16 touches for 135 yards on Sunday in the Rams’ loss to Philadelphia, which tied his lowest touch total of the season.

That requires some context. The Rams ran only 45 offensive plays against the Eagles, so Gurley’s touches accounted for 35.6 percent of their offense, which is on par with his usage all season.
    Still, McVay’s usage of Gurley didn’t pass the eye test. Philadelphia entered the game with a superb run defense that had averaged only 3.5 yards allowed per attempt, but Gurley ran for 30 yards on the Rams’ second play and scored a touchdown on the next play. Gurley averaged 7.4 yards per rush attempt.

Gurley and the Rams’ offensive line clearly could move the ball against the Eagles, but Gurley had only 13 carries (for 96 yards), while quarterback Jared Goff attempted 26 passes (and completed 16).

“Any time we’re running the football like that, I’ve got to do a better job of making sure that he gets enough touches to get into the flow, especially when we’re getting some good movement,” McVay said during his Monday news conference at Cal Lutheran.

“It is a delicate balance. At the end of the day, however you want to cut it, I’ve got to get him going and give him more opportunities, with the way he was running, and have a better feel for the flow of the game. That was something I didn’t think I did very well.”

McVay also pointed out, correctly, quite fairly, that the low number of plays took the Rams out of sync, and credited the Eagles defense for doing a good job against the Rams’ first-down plays, particularly some of the play-action stuff that had been successful all season.

McVay also talked about the need for run-pass balance, and at times, McVay seemed to stray too far.

The Rams held a 35-34 lead with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter when, on a first-and-10 play, McVay called a play-action pass. Eagles defensive end Chris Long sprinted around Rams tackle Darrell Williams, who had entered the game two plays earlier, and forced a Goff strip-sack fumble.

Philadelphia went on to kick a go-ahead field goal, and after the game, McVay was forthright in saying that he should have called a better play. Perhaps the Rams should have kept the ball on the ground?

It’s not as though the Rams have been ignoring Gurley. They’ve run the ball on 44.7 percent of their plays, the ninth-highest average in the NFL. Gurley’s 236 carries rank third in the league, and he is tied for second in total touches (with receptions included). Gurley has totaled 1,637 yards from scrimmage this season, second only to Pittsburgh’s Le’Veon Bell (1,684), and Gurley now is a 1,000-yard rusher.

And, of course, it’s difficult to argue with McVay as a play-caller, given that the Rams have averaged 30.5 points per game this season, second only to the Eagles (31.1).

Yet something still seems off, perhaps because it’s tough to ignore the 20-touch stat. The Rams are 2-4 when he doesn’t reach that mark, and the two wins were blowouts in which Gurley was rested late.

In the Rams’ nine victories, Gurley’s touches accounted for 37.5 percent of the Rams’ plays. In the Rams’ four losses, Gurley’s touches accounted for 31.2 percent of their plays. That’s not a dramatic difference, but it also isn’t a coincidence. The Rams are better when Gurley is the focal point of their offense.

That also seems to be diminishing. In the Rams’ first six games, Gurley runs were 33.4 percent of the Rams’ offense. In their last seven games, Gurley runs have been only 26.0 percent of the offense.

“Going back to the New Orleans game and the last couple weeks, you can definitely look at that,” McVay said. “I look at myself and say, you’ve got to make sure you’re cognizant of giving the runs a chance and trying to stay balanced. That’s something I haven’t done. You can’t keep standing up here and saying the same things. You’ve just got to get it fixed.

“That’s something I’ve got to be mindful of, especially when you look at it and, they were the top rushing defense in the league, but our guys were doing a good job of getting some movement and Todd was running really well.”

Perhaps, McVay is mindful of keeping Gurley fresh for late-season (and perhaps playoff) games, which wouldn’t be a ridiculous thought, but the Rams (9-4) can’t use Gurley in the playoffs if they don’t get there, and this week’s game against Seattle (8-5) might decide which team wins the NFC West.

In the teams’ first meeting this season, a 16-10 Seahawks victory at the Coliseum on Oct. 8, Gurley’s usage was low. He had only 14 carries (for 43 yards) and two catches, which marked the only time this season that Gurley’s touches accounted for fewer than 25 percent of the Rams’ total plays.

INJURY REPORT
    McVay said cornerback Trumaine Johnson left Sunday’s game with a nerve “stinger” in his shoulder and was not in the NFL concussion protocol, as had been announced during and after the game.

McVay also said offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein both are expected to play against Seattle. Both were announced as having ankle injuries during and after the game, but McVay said Monday that they had “mild MCL” issues.

Receiver Robert Woods (shoulder) and linebacker Connor Barwin (arm) are expected to participate when the Rams return to practice Wednesday, and both are on track to play Sunday, McVay said.

Hey the Rams are going to meet tough teams... the Vikings and Eagles--not everyone is going to be a Colts team. So what the Eagles drop a game and where manhandled in Seattle and wanted to recapture their swagger bring their A game to the Rams....going to face those situations---Rams man up

Gurley, yes well worth the draft pick at #1. But there are 10 other guys on the field; McVay needs to mix it up and throw a few glitches at opponents' defenses. If Gurley is involved in 1/3 your plays it means, 1/3 of the time the defense know what's coming run or pass... Gurley ran into a smart defense--yes he got his yards and was affective but he failed to break a BEND BUT NOT BREAK DEFENSE. That is on McVay.... Kupp got his yards but again he alone couldn't drive a stake in the Eagles hearts either. But the Rams offense did their job--Defense came up short. ANd if the Rams are going to go anywhere in the playoffs, the Defense has to come up BIG each game

Comment

I credit McVay for saying the right things and sounding like a man willing to admit mistakes and concede he'd change some things if he had the chance to do them over again. Part of fixing a problem or an approach is an acknowledgement that you don't have all the answers and you're willing to adjust as necessary. That said, the REAL proof will be in McVay's actions through his play calling as we move forward. I think it's easy to forget among this unexpected 9-4 start that McVay is still very much evolving as a head coach- a young guy who is gifted and knows a lot, but is nonetheless inexperienced in this role. To me, he's shown the propensity to throw the ball TOO much at times. While it's a passing league and its important for McVay to demonstrate a well-placed faith in Goff, he must not do so at the expense of Gurley, who is showing us his rookie year wasn't an aberration. He must also help the defense, which despite anything Wade Phillips can throw at teams, still needs rest. This is achieved through ball control at select times throughout a game.

If you are unable to run because of something a team is throwing at you defensively, I'd understand changing it up and throwing the ball more. But it seems like several times we've spoken about Gurley being effective, only to have his carries diminish, and I don't understand that approach. It's difficult to sit here and take issue with an offense that is head and shoulders above anything we've seen in recent years, yet I still think we need to strive for better balance between the run and the pass.

Comment

If they are worried about keeping Gurley fresh for the playoffs then maybe a little more Malcom Brown is in order. If I remember correctly, Brown just had one run all day. I have a feeling that McVay will get the balance thing figured out at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by fearsome foursome View Post
          If they are worried about keeping Gurley fresh for the playoffs then maybe a little more Malcom Brown is in order. If I remember correctly, Brown just had one run all day. I have a feeling that McVay will get the balance thing figured out at some point.
          Wasn't Brown nicked up some?

On another note, I am suspecting that there is some truth to the thought that McVay is "banking" Gurley. I cannot fathom not using him in the situations where we needed him most and my thought is McVay might be planning ahead. You want to keep him fresh, but you don't want to wear him out or worse, injure him. I know that the game changes dramatically at the play off level and this may be insurance. Stay ahead of Seattle and get to the play offs and just unleash him. Gurley's runs are good and he is doing a great job on the check downs as well. The Philly game was really physical as we saw with the loss of Webster and Philly's loss of Wentz...

I smell something cooking...

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

That ability to learn from mistakes does seem to be a characteristic of this team. IIRC, there were no penalties on us during kick and punt returns.

McVay will figure this stuff out.
            “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

The one play call that I just can't get my head around, and still bothers me, is the pass attempt where Goff had the ball stripped. The Rams were up 35-34, had just been given a first down on a PI , with the ball on the 35, and 8:26 left on the clock. At that point, I just don't understand not giving the ball to Gurley. Despite a relentless Philly pass rush virtually the entire game, the need to take time off the clock, and a very effective Gurley, McVay dialed up a slow developing, deep route, that obviously ended in disaster, and IMO, was the biggest factor in the loss. There was no need to go for a home run, given the situation.

I really hope McVay learned some lessons against Philly, and adjusts his usage of Gurley.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                The one play call that I just can't get my head around, and still bothers me, is the pass attempt where Goff had the ball stripped. The Rams were up 35-34, had just been given a first down on a PI , with the ball on the 35, and 8:26 left on the clock. At that point, I just don't understand not giving the ball to Gurley. Despite a relentless Philly pass rush virtually the entire game, the need to take time off the clock, and a very effective Gurley, McVay dialed up a slow developing, deep route, that obviously ended in disaster, and IMO, was the biggest factor in the loss. There was no need to go for a home run, given the situation.

I really hope McVay learned some lessons against Philly, and adjusts his usage of Gurley.

Gurley had some very good runs, along with several receptions generating good yardage. I too wondered why he wasn't used more. Gurley was playing well enough to keep the defense honest. Using him more would have taken time off the clock while continuing to sell play action - let alone any big plays he might have made.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but I agree McVay really blew it on that call.

Last edited by MauiRam; -12-12-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I do believe McVay is a little quick to abandon the run. But I also believe it is worse to stick to the run when it is not working, would rather err on the pass side in today's NFL. Some games I see runs called when it isn't working just to "Keep em honest" -ultimately these are just wasted downs. Not saying this was the case vs. The Eagles.

However, I also feel that McVay has not been great in the red zone as of late. It's almost like our offense gets away with so much given that our team is scoring 30 per game yet it seems like we make it harder than it has to be, especially in the red zone.

If you recall we were the #1 team in the red zone for the first 4 or 5 games of the season, then we went on a slump with barely any TD's.

all I'm saying is that it could be even better. Fisher had the problem of getting to the 20 and then his only goal was to get to the 10 and get a first down. You have to take advantage of that 20 yard space to open the field while you still can and take some shots into the end zone or down to the 3 yard line, and not try to creep your way in. I've been noticing a bit of this ghost of Fisher creeping in on McVay at times.

But hopefully all's well that ends well! Huge game this Sunday. - Go Rams!

Comment

Had no issue with the play calling per se' as I read earlier in the year that Coach planned to keep him fresh, and he is such a dynamic play maker. That being said, in the offseason we have to get a compliment back to Gurley so that our play calling is a little less predictable when he is not in the game.

Comment