A Major Disappointment-Weaknesses Exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Major Disappointment-Weaknesses Exposed

Can't say I'm surprised at getting beat tonight. I told anyone who cared to listen I didn't like the matchup with a defending NFC Champ and Matt Ryan. That, coupled with special teams mistakes and an offense that looked nervous early and lost for much of the night proved fatal. Losing provides clarity (at least for me) on many issues that we face moving forward.

Our offense did virtually nothing all night versus a defense not considered a top-of-the-line bunch. And we were exposed as a group with major flaws despite its prolific scoring totals this season. We demonstrate no ability to stretch the defense and are over-reliant on Gurley check-downs. Sammy Watkins had one of the most embarrassing no-show performances for a supposed "superstar" that I can ever remember a player having. And this from a guy who wants a mega-deal. Three guys caught passes all night. And he wasn't one of them, including a drop on a catchable ball at the end of the game when we still had a pulse. A disgraceful performance. He should donate his check to charity.

Pharoh Cooper killed us. His two fumbles (one in which he was helped by Countess) dug us an early hole from which we never really recovered. Pro Bowl players don't do this, I'm sorry- don't talk to me about how good he is.

Jared Goff looked lost for much of the night. Despite excellent protection and a few nice throws, he never got on track, misfired on a number of attempts and couldn't generate much- a total departure from what we saw for much of the season. For Goff to be fully embraced, he's gonna' have to perform well in the playoffs- a point that was raised on another thread earlier in the week. Tonight, he was average at best.

Let's put away the Vince Lombardi comparisons for now; McVay still has much to learn and was outcoached. As good as he was for much of the year, he was equally poor tonight. From the game's first drive, I saw an uninspired game plan-no cohesion, ingenuity or play calling brilliance once the game took a bad turn. Coming in, everybody and their brother knew Atlanta would key on Gurley and make Goff beat us, and what do we do? Throw an overabundance of screens and checkdowns to him.

The defense, who for the most part came to play, broke down twice at the worst possible times- a trend that seemed to happen with some frequency this season. The first failure was allowing a 13 play drive to start the 2nd half after we'd pulled to within 3 points. And the 2nd breakdown was allowing the 52 yard catch to Sanu, which broke our backs. We also didn't put the kind of relentless pressure on Ryan that is necessary to derail a former league MVP.

Maybe in two weeks, I'll look back and be more grateful for a winning season and a playoff game, but right now I'm just disgusted that we lost a game we had every opportunity to win.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-06-2018, 09:11 PM.

I agree with a lot of that but, as is common, you’re a bit too harsh on Goff. Not saying he was great, but he’’s pretty low on the list of the reasons why we lost.

Hopefully this will prove to be a learning experience for all the young Rams, including McVay.

Comment

I feel terrible for Andrew Whitworth. I completely forgot that he was a part of all those Bengal teams that were one-and-done in the playoffs and now he suffers the same fate with us. Here's to hoping we can let him taste victory in the playoffs soon (like, you know, next year).

Comment

I know you're upset. The game was pretty simple. They were not a better team and we were not exposed. Neither team started out well. In fact we were playing better defense and winning the field position battle until the first dreaded turnover. That flipped the field gave them 3 points and the momentum. Then another turnover. 10 easy pts off turnovers. Huge key to the final outcome. The next big key was the start of the second half. We had the momentum but they come out and pound the ball after we lose our best run defender in Brockers. They burned up over 8 minutes. We never got into a rythem in the first half and now the second half was shortened. Hence they never got Gurley going. Atl only had the one big play in the 4th quarter to seal the game. That's Football. Young team. Learn and go forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
          I know you're upset. The game was pretty simple. They were not a better team and we were not exposed. Neither team started out well. In fact we were playing better defense and winning the field position battle until the first dreaded turnover. That flipped the field gave them 3 points and the momentum. Then another turnover. 10 easy pts off turnovers. Huge key to the final outcome. The next big key was the start of the second half. We had the momentum but they come out and pound the ball after we lose our best run defender in Brockers. They burned up over 8 minutes. We never got into a rythem in the first half and now the second half was shortened. Hence they never got Gurley going. Atl only had the one big play in the 4th quarter to seal the game. That's Football. Young team. Learn and go forward.
          I agree with your comments about the start of the game and momentum. I wholeheartedly disagree with your third sentence. Though before the game I thought otherwise, I can't sit here today and say we are better than Atlanta because on the big stage- the place that it matters- we didn't get it done. But for the few minutes before the Cooper fumbles and a brief time before the half we were outplayed. And when you generate nothing offensively by looking nervous then discombobulated for much of the night, you're exposed as a team whose regular season success masks some very real weaknesses.: An overreliance on Gurley in the passing game and not running him enough. The Sammy Watkins periodic disappearing act. Higbee's lack of production. Ball security in the return game. THREE GUYS caught balls last night. That's something we'd see in a Fisher offense.

And I don't entirely buy the "youth" excuse- one many seem to selectively use after poor play, and one which was seemingly used each year of the Fisher regime. Different group and a different situation, of course, but many of us seem to extoll the virtues of youth when we win and claim "we're too young" when we get beat. There are myriad examples in every major sport of teams who are able to perform well despite their overall youth. And tonight the Rams failed in that pursuit.

Thinking it's a given we'll be back next season because we were here tonight is a mistake. We have a LOT of work to do to take the next step.

Comment

As usual, I agree with pretty much all of your analysis and opinions. Last night's game was a big disappointment, and I can't console myself with the points that the team had a great turn-around season or that we have a lot of young players. I am very surprised and disappointed that the team we watched all year didn't show up in such a momentous game. This is a year-to-year league, without any guarantees of future success. We won our division this year, were in the tournament, and came right out and laid a big egg. I am not one who will be thanking and congratulating the team "for a great year". I might feel differently if they had showed up, played their game but got beat. They didn't.

There's 2 realities in the modern NFL: the real one that involves humans competing against each other on the field, and the virtual one that includes "fantasy" football and the ridiculous sports media, yammering on 24/7 about their fabricated narratives. McVay and the exciting young Rams got a lot of love in the virtual realm this year, and were the subject of ridiculous flattery. But they have a lot of weaknesses and imperfections in the real one, which have been well-described by many posters on this board. My own take on some of the major issues:
            • Get worthy successors to Whitworth and Sullivan on the roster and develop them to take over in about a year. Generally, build the depth on this unit. We had tremendous luck with lack on injuries on this unit this season, but that can't be relied on.
            • Get a 2 back running game going. We need a change of pace running back, and it ain't Tavon Austin. Perhaps that was supposed to by Dunbar, and was derailed due to his injury. In any event, it better be part of the plan for next year.
            • Must add athletic and speedy guys at LB and DB, who can defend the pass game. We gave up way too many 3rd down conversions through the air.
            • McVay must learn to be more balanced and patient with his offensive attack. Perhaps that change of pace RB will help here. As has been observed by many, he is often overly clever and quick to fall out of balance and rely on the passing game when the going gets tough.
            • I don't know what to say about Watkins. If we hadn't given up a second rounder for him, I'd say to let him walk. He disappears all the time, and often seems to lack effort. I'd like to see what he can do with a full offseason in the offense, but we have to make a decision about his contract now. Tough decision.
            • The reality is that this team has no home field advantage, and that's a huge disadvantage. That must change, but it's difficult to see how it will anytime soon with another couple of seasons using a giant open-air olympic track and field stadium as a temporary home field.
            Lot's of challenges to continuing to improve and to getting back in the tournament. This offseason is another big test for McVay and Snead. It will be very telling about our prospects for the McVay era to see how well they do addressing issues and evolving the team after having gone through a full campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I agree with your comments about the start of the game and momentum. I wholeheartedly disagree with your third sentence. Though before the game I thought otherwise, I can't sit here today and say we are better than Atlanta because on the big stage- the place that it matters- we didn't get it done. But for the few minutes before the Cooper fumbles and a brief time before the half we were outplayed. And when you generate nothing offensively by looking nervous then discombobulated for much of the night, you're exposed as a team whose regular season success masks some very real weaknesses.: An overreliance on Gurley in the passing game and not running him enough. The Sammy Watkins periodic disappearing act. Higbee's lack of production. Ball security in the return game. THREE GUYS caught balls last night. That's something we'd see in a Fisher offense.

And I don't entirely buy the "youth" excuse- one many seem to selectively use after poor play, and one which was seemingly used each year of the Fisher regime. Different group and a different situation, of course, but many of us seem to extoll the virtues of youth when we win and claim "we're too young" when we get beat. There are myriad examples in every major sport of teams who are able to perform well despite their overall youth. And tonight the Rams failed in that pursuit.

Thinking it's a given we'll be back next season because we were here tonight is a mistake. We have a LOT of work to do to take the next step.
              A lot of Fans analyze these games in a bubble. It seems as though they don't even consider that their team is playing a top notch opponent in a do or die game. We all know that both teams are paid to execute and win. Atlanta has a top 10 defense. What's more their defense is peaking and playing at a very high level. Do you disagree with that? For Pete's sake, you said you didn't like the match-up going in? What did you expect, a blowout or a close hard fought playoff game? I really don't understand the analysis by a lot of folks.

Well guess what? Without the 10 easy points it's a 16-13 game. Without the 10 easy points the game is played out entirely different. You all know how key turnovers are. Especially so in the playoffs against a top notch defense. Especially so when your team does not force any turnovers of their own. If you are going to be stupid and incompetent and fumble away the ball then you damn well better force some fumbles or picks. If you don't then the probability of losing in the playoffs is high.

In the playoffs, where games are usually close, I don't know how far we would have went after losing our kicker.

Sure we need to improve, but that's always a given. No matter how good you get if you are going to turn the ball over on your side of the field and give up easy points then you will most likely lose.

Now about this "youth excuse". Where in the heck did I offer that as an excuse? I simply said "Young Team". Do you disagree? Is this not a young team? I also simply said "Learn and go forward", Do you disagree with that? Do you disagree that players, young or seasoned, should learn from their mistakes and move on? Inventing stuff to argue about and ignoring the blatant turnovers that were the underlying reason for the loss does not help your analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post

A lot of Fans analyze these games in a bubble. It seems as though they don't even consider that their team is playing a top notch opponent in a do or die game. We all know that both teams are paid to execute and win. Atlanta has a top 10 defense. What's more their defense is peaking and playing at a very high level. Do you disagree with that? For Pete's sake, you said you didn't like the match-up going in? What did you expect, a blowout or a close hard fought playoff game? I really don't understand the analysis by a lot of folks.

Well guess what? Without the 10 easy points it's a 16-13 game. Without the 10 easy points the game is played out entirely different. You all know how key turnovers are. Especially so in the playoffs against a top notch defense. Especially so when your team does not force any turnovers of their own. If you are going to be stupid and incompetent and fumble away the ball then you damn well better force some fumbles or picks. If you don't then the probability of losing in the playoffs is high.

In the playoffs, where games are usually close, I don't know how far we would have went after losing our kicker.

Sure we need to improve, but that's always a given. No matter how good you get if you are going to turn the ball over on your side of the field and give up easy points then you will most likely lose.

Now about this "youth excuse". Where in the heck did I offer that as an excuse? I simply said "Young Team". Do you disagree? Is this not a young team? I also simply said "Learn and go forward", Do you disagree with that? Do you disagree that players, young or seasoned, should learn from their mistakes and move on? Inventing stuff to argue about and ignoring the blatant turnovers that were the underlying reason for the loss does not help your analysis.
                True that the turnovers were a huge factor. But you're kidding yourself if you believe that the Rams O and ST otherwise played well enough to win that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post

True that the turnovers were a huge factor. But you're kidding yourself if you believe that the Rams O and ST otherwise played well enough to win that game.
                  And you are kidding yourself if you believe our O should have blown out their league leading defense. And you are ignoring the truth that it's a 16-13 game without the 10 easy points. Instead of going for the TD at the end it's a FG to tie. But, it's probably safer in the bubble.
                  Last edited by Curly Horns; -01-07-2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

You make some very good points NJ, but there are a few statements I disagree with.

Our offense did virtually nothing all night versus a defense not considered a top-of-the-line bunch. And we were exposed as a group with major flaws despite its prolific scoring totals this season.
                    As has been pointed out, Atlanta did indeed have a top-of-the-line bunch. 8th in points allowed, 9th in yards allowed. Gurley rushed for 101 yards, Goff passed for 259 yards, and if it wasn't for the end of the first half, and a TD drop by Higbee, the point total most likely would have been much higher, and made it a close game. In both of those instances, Goff led the offense on long drives, mostly through the air. Hardly "nothing" IMO.

Jared Goff looked lost for much of the night. Despite excellent protection and a few nice throws, he never got on track, misfired on a number of attempts and couldn't generate much- a total departure from what we saw for much of the season. For Goff to be fully embraced, he's gonna' have to perform well in the playoffs- a point that was raised on another thread earlier in the week. Tonight, he was average at best.
                    Goff was far from stellar, but while he did look a bit lost in the first quarter, he absolutely did not get excellent protection. He was under constant pressure in that first quarter, being sacked twice. When the OL settled in, so did Goff. He could have easily crumpled like tin foil, but he didn't. He kept his composure, and IMO, did a good job leading the offense after that disastrous first quarter. In fact, Chris Collinsworth noted how poised, calm, and in control Goff looked, and marveled at several of the passes he threw.

I respectfully disagree with "a LOT".

Comment

Mike, I think your make good points about Goff. He did settle down and was throwing the ball with great confidence just before halftime. Collinsworth even remarked on that point. Where I feel Goff was unsteady throughout the game was on checkdowns as he missed some very easy throws to Gurley on screens or dump-offs. Conversely he threw some great passes to Woods both before halftime and on the 4th qtr. drive with 3rd and long (15 yds I believe). The Watkins drop on the long pass in 4th qtr was as much a great defensive play by the CB as a poor play by a WR who is supposed to have strong hands for contested catches. He was also "held" by Jones in the end zone on our final play, but that's life.

Losing Brockers was a huge loss to our run defense as the first drive of the 3rd qtr. proved. TruJo was also less than stellar in his coverage of Julio Jones.

Having pointed blame to the Rams, I think it warrants saying the Atl deserves credit for crafting a good defensive gameplan against us. They also seemed to make the right blocking scheme adjustments at halftime as we weren't able to touch Matt Ryan in the 2nd half, best I can recall. We had disrupted him pretty good in the first half.

The final point of NOT having a LOT of work to do is also correct IMO. We didn't win 11 games by being overly flawed. Like every team we have work to do and I'm very comfortable that our players and coaches will take some good learning from last night. We are a damn good team and will contest for the playoffs again next year. Ominous sign for Tavon, I don't think he saw the field at all.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                        Where I feel Goff was unsteady throughout the game was on checkdowns as he missed some very easy throws to Gurley on screens or dump-offs.
                        I agree completely. Despite not being perfect throws, I think Gurley should have caught some of them, but the short stuff is where Goff really fell short.

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                        Ominous sign for Tavon, I don't think he saw the field at all.
                        I noticed that as well, and thought it was a bit strange that he didn't even see the field for a single play. He was obviously being fazed out of the offense, but still provided some problems for opposing defenses as a decoy. I would think it would be worth giving him a few plays, but I guess McVay didn't agree. I think it's safe to say the writing is on the wall for Tavon.

Comment

The unwillingness of some to be critical of Goff astounds me- it really does. I'm firmly convinced that until our QB gets 15 seconds to throw the ball each down and three all-pro wide receivers to throw to there will always be a ready-made rationalization for why he falters.The refrain never changes. Goff was certainly not terrible and delivered some good balls. Pinning the loss primarily on him would be misguided. But one needs to greatly elevate their game in the playoffs, and he was a far cry from the player whose praises we sung this season. He unfortunately had plenty of company.

Goff was not under a fierce rush all night, especially after the first two drives of the game. I watched the game saying to myself each time he dropped back that the line was giving him adequate time to deliver the ball, and I stand by those thoughts.

I probably undervalued Atlanta's defense a bit, but certainly shouldn't have sat around saying "Oh my God, we're facing the Atlanta defense tonight! A 13 point output against that group to me is a poor showing, especially when we averaged twice that during the regular season.Total passing yardage is misleading- especially when you throw the ball 45 times. And Gurley's totals were a bit skewed as well, some of which came on a couple of long runs. He was also a complete non-factor in the passing game. I never got the feeling Goff and his receivers were in sync or able to move the ball at will, and in fact we were aided by sizeable chunks of Atlanta penalty yardage on several drives.

I don't consider last night's game a "close" game, and we never could get over the hump. Only once- at the end of the first half- did I have a good feeling about the Rams making a game of it. Those feelings were immediately erased when Atlanta came out and shoved it down our throats to start the 3rd quarter.

I'd feel a lot better about the loss had we played a really good game.

Comment

Turnovers did in fact kill us the first qtr. But the score at halftime was 13-10 with the mo on side of the Rams. Then in the second half we got manhandled. Losing Brockers was a contributing factor but so were missed tackles and third down conversion after conversion. We scored three points in the second half. We got schooled. Plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
                              As usual, I agree with pretty much all of your analysis and opinions. Last night's game was a big disappointment, and I can't console myself with the points that the team had a great turn-around season or that we have a lot of young players. I am very surprised and disappointed that the team we watched all year didn't show up in such a momentous game. This is a year-to-year league, without any guarantees of future success. We won our division this year, were in the tournament, and came right out and laid a big egg. I am not one who will be thanking and congratulating the team "for a great year". I might feel differently if they had showed up, played their game but got beat. They didn't.

There's 2 realities in the modern NFL: the real one that involves humans competing against each other on the field, and the virtual one that includes "fantasy" football and the ridiculous sports media, yammering on 24/7 about their fabricated narratives. McVay and the exciting young Rams got a lot of love in the virtual realm this year, and were the subject of ridiculous flattery. But they have a lot of weaknesses and imperfections in the real one, which have been well-described by many posters on this board. My own take on some of the major issues:
                              • Get worthy successors to Whitworth and Sullivan on the roster and develop them to take over in about a year. Generally, build the depth on this unit. We had tremendous luck with lack on injuries on this unit this season, but that can't be relied on.
                              • Get a 2 back running game going. We need a change of pace running back, and it ain't Tavon Austin. Perhaps that was supposed to by Dunbar, and was derailed due to his injury. In any event, it better be part of the plan for next year.
                              • Must add athletic and speedy guys at LB and DB, who can defend the pass game. We gave up way too many 3rd down conversions through the air.
                              • McVay must learn to be more balanced and patient with his offensive attack. Perhaps that change of pace RB will help here. As has been observed by many, he is often overly clever and quick to fall out of balance and rely on the passing game when the going gets tough.
                              • I don't know what to say about Watkins. If we hadn't given up a second rounder for him, I'd say to let him walk. He disappears all the time, and often seems to lack effort. I'd like to see what he can do with a full offseason in the offense, but we have to make a decision about his contract now. Tough decision.
                              • The reality is that this team has no home field advantage, and that's a huge disadvantage. That must change, but it's difficult to see how it will anytime soon with another couple of seasons using a giant open-air olympic track and field stadium as a temporary home field.
                              Lot's of challenges to continuing to improve and to getting back in the tournament. This offseason is another big test for McVay and Snead. It will be very telling about our prospects for the McVay era to see how well they do addressing issues and evolving the team after having gone through a full campaign.
                              Excellent comments and analysis of what we must do moving forward. I feel as talented as he is, we nonetheless have an over-reliance on Gurley, especially in the passing game. He also needs a solid back-up to spell him from time to time (remember what Barry Redden did for Dickerson back in the day?). It was mentioned several times late in the game that Gurley was sucking wind.

McVay indeed needs to stop being so damn pass-happy and extend drives.

Whitworth is no spring chicken and successors need to be established. We suffered no real devastating injuries this year but can't get caught thin on the O-line.

Don't know that the Rams will ever have the type of home field advantage we'd all like to see. Certainly isn't going to happen at the cavernous Colosieum.

I was genuinely angry with Watkins last night. He gave us nothing, and it takes tremendous cojones for him to think he's an elite player worthy of a huge contract. Can you imagine any other truly gifted #1 receiver getting shut out in a playoff game??

It is indeed a year-to-year league. And one area where I think youth IS A FACTOR is in young guys believing that it's a given they'll be back. There's no such animal. You have to take advantage of the opportunities you DO get and take nothing for granted. That was lost on some of the current Rams.

And yes- you're still disappointed but feel better about a loss if you played well in defeat. We didn't, and it makes me question what we actually have in some of these guys.
                              Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-07-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment