Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what "set position" do the Rams have the greatest need for an understudy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what "set position" do the Rams have the greatest need for an understudy?

The Eagles won the Super Bowl with a backup QB and LT. I think its safe to say that this proves the value of depth... particularly at positions of strength.

While we never want to think of a star player going down, its a fact of life in the NFL, so...

What "set position" is in the most dire need of a quality backup?
    Quarterback: Mannion is too much of an unknown.
    8.70%
    Running Back: You can't replace a player like Gurley, but you can do better than Malcolm Brown.
    4.35%
    Left Tackle: Andrew Whitworth needs an heir apparent.
    78.26%
    Defensive End (3-4 set): The dropoff behind Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers is too steep.
    0%
    No. 1 CB: Trumaine Johnson is the only current Ram who can cover top WRs.
    4.35%
    Some other position (describe).
    4.35%
    Last edited by AvengerRam; 6 days ago.

"Greg" Whitworth again?!

Comment

Qb...............
      :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by MrOrange View Post
        "Greg" Whitworth again?!
        LOL. I must have known somebody by that name at some point. Don't know why my brain keeps going there!

Fixed!

Comment

Had to go with LT. How long has it been since the Rams were set long term at left tackle? (hint: a long time)

Comment

Isn't Trumaine a free agent? Not quite a set position at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
              Isn't Trumaine a free agent? Not quite a set position at this time.
              This isn't really about contract status, but if it helps, assume he's re-signed... do we still need an understudy at that spot?

Comment

I'd like to see some much better talent behind Roger Saffold's LG position. Bearing in mind just how injury prone Saffold's career has been so far. As I don't envision The Rams being quite as fortunate this coming season on the injury front. But hopefully, I'm dead wrong.!
                The talent behind Todd Gurley isn't strong enough in my opinion. Malcolm Brown and Dunbar didn't show me enough last year to say the Rams offense would be OK if god forbid TG went down for the entire season. It's a shame we didn't get to see a bit more of RB Justin Davis. Whom I thought looked pretty good in the preseason, but for whatever reason didn't get any more opportunities when the games really started to count.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

This isn't really about contract status, but if it helps, assume he's re-signed... do we still need an understudy at that spot?
                  Ultimately it would be grest to have a legit understudy at every position. As for TJ and the defensive backs go we need to get a legit 4 man group back there first and then worry about understudies.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundDog39 View Post
                    It's a shame we didn't get to see a bit more of RB Justin Davis. Whom I thought looked pretty good in the preseason, but for whatever reason didn't get any more opportunities when the games really started to count.
                    Agreed - let's see what we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

LOL. I must have known somebody by that name at some point. Don't know why my brain keeps going there!

Fixed!
                      It's not Greg Robinson's name which keeps throwing you off.?
                      Last edited by GroundDog39; 5 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post

Agreed - let's see what we have here.

Yeah, I thought Davis looked explosive enough to get more playing time, but only ended up with one carry all season, the carry coming in week one versus Indy. It seems a little odd we didn't see any more of him as the season progressed. Going forward, it'll be interesting to see if he improves this year with more experience under his belt. Because to be honest. I'd prefer it if the Rams didn't have to use any of their draft or FA capital on the RB position this offseason.
                        Last edited by GroundDog39; 5 days ago.

Comment

Of the options listed finding an heir apparent to Andrew Whitworth is the most important or "urgent" would be my word. The LT spot is essential for Goff to continue his growth as a QB. The O-Line and D-Line are the foundations of any SB contending team. That's not to say some of the other choices aren't important. Finding a solid back-up to Gurley is a priority as well IMO. This draft is deepest at the rb position so finding a quality rb on day 3 is a distinct possibility. Having said that, I felt Malcolm Brown played well when asked to so if he can be re-signed I'm OK with that solution.

I agree with GroundDog and BLTKMT about seeing what Justin Davis has to offer. I suspect his fumbling during the pre-season kept him on the sidelines, but I hope that gets resolved before next season. I see him as a change-of-pace more than a Gurley b'up.

Since we're to assume TruJo gets signed that is another spot given Webster's injury we need to solidify. I would be stunned if we don't draft a CB with either of our first 2 picks rounds 1 & 3, in this year's draft.

Go Rams!

Comment

Once Tavon is gone, Justin Davis will start getting his chances. If you're McVay, and $15M dollars is standing on your sideline, you have to give him the rock a few times as your change of pace back, if for no other reason than to see what you've got moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                            X