No announcement yet.

Should the Rams release Kayvon Webster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Rams release Kayvon Webster?

Webster was obviously a guy who Phillips wanted, and he played fairly well when he was healthy in 2017, but...

He tore his Achilles late in the season, and could very well be a PUP candidate for the start of the year, and...

The Rams could save about $3M in cap space by releasing him/reaching an injury settlement.

I see merit in the "keep Webster" argument, as he could be a nice mid-late season "reinforcement" as the Rams enter a playoff run, but...

If that money would allow us to, for example, re-sign Nickel Robey-Coleman, I'd probably consider it.

Thoughts?

So who plays CB #2? (Assuming Webster comes back healthy and regains his original #2 spot).

I think releasing Webster leaves us pretty thin at CB, assuming that TruJo will no longer be a Ram in 2018.

Comment

=====================================================
      Saw this "on a related note" USA Today article the other day.

All things considered, yes, I suppose it would make sense to release Webster.

===========================================================

If Trumaine Johnson leaves, Nickell Robey-Coleman becomes must-sign

USA Today / By: Cameron DaSilva | February 18, 2018

The Los Angeles Rams completely retooled their secondary last year with a variety of moves. In addition to pushing Lamarcus Joyner back to safety and drafting John Johnson, the Rams also signed Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman in free agency, giving the secondary four new starters.

Unfortunately, the new-look secondary could once again look very different in 2018. Joyner and Robey-Coleman are both free agents, while Webster is just three months removed from a torn Achilles.

Yet, the biggest question mark facing Los Angeles comes in the form of Trumaine Johnson, a free agent after playing the past two years on the franchise tag.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported last week that Johnson wonít return to the Rams in 2018, according to a source. That canít be taken as fact, of course, because itís still relatively early in the process, but it wouldnít be the least bit surprising to see Johnson in a different uniform next season.

Heís bound to fetch at least $11-12 million in free agency, if not more, which could be a stretch for the Rams. With about $40 million in cap space, Los Angeles will need to do some finagling this offseason to make it work, whether itís cutting Robert Quinn and Mark Barron, or passing up a player like Sammy Watkins.

Put simply, the Rams canít afford to have three new starters at cornerback in 2018. Picture this: Webster isnít back until December, Johnson signs a $60 million elsewhere and Robey-Coleman gets a lucrative offer from another team

If the Rams do opt to let Johnson walk in free agency, one player in particular becomes must-sign: Robey-Coleman.

In that scenario, the Rams would have three new players at cornerback in Week 1. Finding one starter at the position is difficult
      enough in free agency and the draft, let alone three. It doesnít help that the Rams donít have a second-round pick, giving them just two selections in the first 87 of the draft.

Fortunately, retaining Robey-Coleman shouldnít be too difficult. After earning less than $1 million in 2017, and given the fact that he primarily plays in the slot, his price should be relatively low Ė perhaps $1.5 million per year.

Regardless of what happens, the Ramsí secondary could look vastly different in 2018. At the very least, theyíll have one new starter at the beginning of the season with Webster still recovering.

=====================================================

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
        So who plays CB #2? (Assuming Webster comes back healthy and regains his original #2 spot).

I think releasing Webster leaves us pretty thin at CB, assuming that TruJo will no longer be a Ram in 2018.
        When I posted this, I would have answered your question with "our first round pick" but, now that we've traded Quinn, that's not such an easy answer.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post

Answer: Aqib Talib

Comment

I'm believing McVay when he says that there is interest in re-signing TruJo. With the cap space we've created we can sign both him and NCR. Given the uncertainty of our pass rush (trading Quinn and likely drafting a replacement and Barwin not getting younger or better) having a shutdown secondary may be essential. Plus we have yet to learn the impact of Peters on the team chemistry. So TruJo may be a hedge against future problems. We can probably sign him for a reasonable contract if we offer him enough years in the deal. Somewhere in the Rams org there is enough love for the guy to franchise him 2 years running.

The answer to the thread question is that we should keep Webster for depth at the position. His injury may make him a back-up for most of 2018. Remember what Jeff Fisher said, "you can never have too many CB's".

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by MDE8352gorams View Post

The answer to the thread question is that we should keep Webster for depth at the position. His injury may make him a back-up for most of 2018...

Go Rams!

Agreed. Therefore...

I take it back! I take it back! [ Post #3 ] Do not release Webster.

Comment

Webster will have to be replaced for most of if not all of 2018 given that Achilles injuries usually take 12 months to heal. That would make him ready sometime in December. He's a free agent at the end of the season. It would be tough for the Rams not to release him in my opinion and use the money to sign a replacement.
                :helmet:

Comment

With Peters, Talib and, to a lesser extent, Shields now on board, I guess that the Rams can afford to be patient with Webster's recovery.

That said, if, from a money standpoint, it came down to a choice between Webster and NRC, I'd go with NRC.

Comment

Working...
                  X