X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapoport: Rams expected to tage either Joyner or Watkins tomorrow

Ian Rapoport
    ‏@RapSheet
    The #Rams are expected to apply the franchise tag to a player tomorrow. They are still undecided between WR Sammy Watkins and S Lamarcus Joyner. Tagging one means the other may test the market.

4:11 PM - 5 Mar 2018

Alden Gonzalez
    @Alden_Gonzalez
    My sense has been that the Ramsí priority is to retain Lamarcus Joyner. A long-term deal makes more sense for Joyner and the tag makes more sense for Sammy Watkins. But if they think they could lose Joyner to free agency, they may use the tag on him. Deadline is 1 PT Tuesday.

4:31 PM - 5 Mar 2018

Comment

Report: Rams to tag either Joyner or Watkins
      NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Rams plan to franchise tag either FS Lamarcus Joyner or WR Sammy Watkins on Tuesday.

The Rams want both impending free agents back, but they can only tag one. RapSheet indicates whichever player does not receive the franchise tag ahead of Tuesday's deadline will test the open market. Rams beat writers believed earlier in the offseason Watkins was the favorite to get tagged, but their tune has changed. Joyner is now seen as the likeliest franchise-tag recipient.
      I'm actually posting this more because I think its funny than for its informative nature.

Thanks, Ian... you really nailed the scoop on this one.

Must be nice to get paid for doing something so frivolous and with no accountability whatsoever.

Comment

• AvengerRam
        AvengerRam commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's what my sources* are telling me...

The Rams' Front Office is currently in negotiations with Lamarcus Joyner. Their hope is to reach a long-term agreement with Joyner tonight or early tomorrow. This would allow them to franchise Sammy Watkins, which they are willing to do, as they don't mind paying a premium for one more "prove it" season before committing to a long-term deal.

* My sources = the voices in my head.

Jason La Canfora
      @JasonLaCanfora
      If Rams use franchise tag today it will be on safety Lamarcus Joyner. WR Sammy Watkins won't get tagged. Team would like to keep both

7:07 AM - 6 Mar 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Jason La Canfora
        @JasonLaCanfora
        If Rams use franchise tag today it will be on safety Lamarcus Joyner. WR Sammy Watkins won't get tagged. Team would like to keep both

7:07 AM - 6 Mar 2018
        Of course, La Canfora has been wrong so many times I'm almost expecting to check back in a few hours and see a thread titled "Watkins tagged."

That said, one thought that is bouncing around in my head is... what if losing Watkins meant we could keep Joyner AND Trumaine Johnson. There is part of me that thinks that keeping Johnson (and pairing him with Peters) would do more for our W/L record in 2018 than keeping Watkins would.

Just a thought.
        Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-06-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Sammy Watkins tweeted this about 2 hours ago:

King meþVerified account@sammywatkins 2h2 hours ago

Canít wait
          Can't wait for what?

...to announce that he's re-signed with the Rams?

...to announce that he's been franchised?

...to hit the free agent market?

...for the premiere of the Roseanne reboot?

Stay tuned!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
            Should Rams franchise Sammy Watkins or Lamarcus Joyner?
            by Nick
            Should Rams franchise Sammy Watkins or Lamarcus Joyner?
            Feb 19, 2018
            Alden Gonzalez
            ESPN Staff Writer

The Los Angeles Rams began the offseason with a significant amount of salary-cap space, but that money goes fast.

OverTheCap.com currently projects the Rams at nearly $41 million of cap space, 12th-most in the NFL. But that drops to roughly $35 million after accounting for the draft. Then you have to consider the needs that might not be addressed by the draft, most notably replacing a center, adding a run-stuffing nose tackle and a premier edge rusher, and shoring up depth throughout the secondary. Then there's that whole thing about making Aaron Donald the game's highest-paid defensive player.

The Rams have 14 players on track to be unrestricted free agents. Six of them played more than 600 snaps on offense or defense in 2017, and two of them look like prime candidates to be tagged, which would considerably cut into the Rams' budget. The window for teams to tag one of their players -- and thus keep a potential free agent with a one-year, guaranteed contract in line with the game's highest-paid players at the position -- runs from Tuesday to March 6.

Below, we take a closer look at two potential candidates. The non-exclusive franchise tag, which awards a player's original team with two first-round picks if it does not match an outside offer, brings with it the average of the top five salaries at a player's position over the previous five years. A transition tag, which amounts to the average of the top 10 salaries at a player's position in the current year, allows other teams to match and does not include compensation. Projections were provided by OverTheCap.com.

WR Sammy Watkins
            Projected price: $16.23M (franchise), $14.03M (transition)

Reason for: The Rams gave up a 2018 second-round pick -- not to mention a strong cornerback in E.J. Gaines -- to obtain Watkins, which should be reason enough to give him more than one season to fit in. Watkins' numbers weren't gaudy, but he entered camp near the middle of August and never had enough time to build any real rapport with quarterback Jared Goff. "He got on a roll with the guys that he had during OTAs," Watkins said after the season, "and once a guy is used to throwing it to someone else, he throws to his guys." Watkins was referring to Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, the new receivers who benefited from an entire offseason with Goff. There's no reason to believe Watkins can't benefit from the same. A multiyear extension could be risky because of his history of foot injuries, but the franchise tag could work out for both parties.

Reason against: Watkins' downfield presence helped open the middle of the field for Woods and Kupp, but Watkins himself finished with only 39 catches for 593 yards in 15 games. He scored eight touchdowns, but his 70 targets suggest that type...
            Franchise tag WR Sammy Watkins
            40.00%
            Transition tag WR Sammy Watkins
            10.00%
            Franchise tag S Lamarcus Joyner
            10.00%
            Transition tag S Lamarcus Joyner
            20.00%
            Use the tag on someone else (specify in response)
            0%
            Do not use either tag on anyone
            20.00%
            -02-21-2018, 04:21 AM
          • AvengerRam
            Which Rams FAs are you hoping to see back?
            by AvengerRam
            THIS IS A MULTI-CHOICE POLL, so you can vote for as many as you'd like.

Assume a reasonable deal, at or near "market value."
            Trumaine Johnson
            75.00%
            Sammy Watkins
            75.00%
            Lamarcus Joyner
            90.00%
            Conner Barwin
            45.00%
            John Sullivan
            95.00%
            Cody Davis
            30.00%
            Derrick Carrier
            5.00%
            Nickell Robey-Coleman
            90.00%
            Tyrunn Walker
            30.00%
            -01-08-2018, 10:01 AM
          • a.p.quinn
            Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry?..
            by a.p.quinn
            I think both would be a perfect match for the Rams. I guess it all depends on if Clowney is there at pick #2 and if there aren't any good enough trade offers to move down. It'd be hard to pass up either Clowney or Watkins. But, someone like Landry might still be on the board in round 2. I feel like he'd be an excellent complement to what's in the receiving core presently.

Also, Calvin Pryor or Larmarcus Joyner? That's another tough choice... Or why not both?...

Who else you got? (Johnathon Dowling, Jimmie Ward maybe?..)

I love draft time
            -02-15-2014, 01:32 AM
          • Nick
            Sammy Watkins uncertain about his future with Rams
            by Nick
            Sammy Watkins uncertain about his future with Rams
            By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
            January 7, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Given the amount of young talent in place, the Rams should enjoy a bright 2018 season, but a few players left the Coliseum on Saturday night uncertain about whether they would return.

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson has a six-year history with the team, while receiver Sammy Watkins has been around only since August. They represent two of the biggest decisions in the coming months for the Rams, whose season ended with a 26-13 wild-card round playoff loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Watkins is one of eight regular Rams contributors who is set to become an unrestricted free agent, and his situation is the most compelling and perplexing. The Rams traded for Watkins during training camp, ostensibly to be their No. 1 receiver, but then couldnít seem to figure out how to use him.

Watkins, who had a history of injuries in Buffalo, stayed healthy all season but finished fourth on the Rams in receptions (39) and receiving yards (593). Against the Falcons, Watkins was targeted on only four of Jared Goffís 45 pass attempts, and caught one pass for 23 yards.

Itís fair to ask if Watkins, who had three or fewer receptions in 12 of his 15 games season, would even want to return to the Rams in 2018.

ďYou see this team building something, with the coaching staff and the players,Ē Watkins said. ďIt would be a pleasure to come back but, you know, itís a business. Iím looking forward to talking to the coach and seeing where my future is at.Ē

Watkins might not have a choice. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent, but heís also the most likely to receive a franchise or transition tag from the Rams. Such a designation, almost certainly, would keep Watkins on the roster for the 2018 season at a fixed, guaranteed salary.

Other players have more options. Among Rams starters, Johnson, center John Sullivan, linebacker Connor Barwin, cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman and safety Lamarcus Joyner all are set to become free agents, as are defensive lineman Dominique Easley and safety Cody Davis.

Joyner and Robey-Coleman would seem to be the most likely to return, particularly if the Rams allow Johnson to walk away.

One of the Ramsí longest-tenured players, Johnson (drafted in 2012) said last month that he would like to return in 2018, but itís not known how strongly the Rams will pursue him, and whether it makes financial sense to identify Johnson as their No. 1 cornerback.

Complicating matters is the unknown health status of cornerback Kayvon Webster, who is under contract in 2018 but who recently underwent surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Websterís status could increase the chance of a return for Johnson, a team captain who played well this season.

ďIím so proud...
            -01-08-2018, 07:42 AM
          • AvengerRam
            Bummed at the prospect of Watkins leaving... but I understand.
            by AvengerRam
            I have gone on record as saying that I want Sammy Watkins back. I have not changed my stance.

That said, I understand why it might not happen.

The reality is, any money the Rams would give to Watkins would be based upon his physical attributes, his potential, and the hope that he would be a breakout player after a full offseason with the team.

It would not be based upon his 2017 performance. Truth is, his numbers were extremely pedestrian. Forget the total... here's a particularly telling stat: in 2017, the Rams scored 30 points or more in 6 games in which Watkins had less than 50 yards receiving.

I certainly get the whole notion of his non-statistical contributions. Having a big, fast WR to occupy the deep coverage certainly can open things up underneath. I also think it would be fair to say that Jared Goff may have missed opportunities to go downfield to an open Watkins in favor of a shorter, more high percentage option.

Nonetheless, paying Watkins #1 WR money would involve a leap of faith, and would have to be based on the expectation of #1 WR production (not mere decoy value).

I also think something else could be a factor. The Rams have two productive WRs, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Woods' cap hit for 2018 is $8M, and Kupp is playing on a rookie contract. How would it impact the WR corps to pay a guy like Watkins - who produced less than Woods or Kupp - north of $15M? By the same token, is Watkins' self-image such that he would insist on being treated as the No. 1 (rather than part of a committee) before he has earned that status on the field?

If Watkins does leave, I will be bummed. If he finds great success elsewhere I'll be really bummed. But, in the end, I understand why he's currently heading to FA.

Sometimes the money thing just gets in the way.
            -03-06-2018, 11:35 AM
          Working...
          X