Clear All

• Rams place franchise tag on DB Joyner

More info coming...

More to come....

Comment

• AvengerRam
      AvengerRam commented
      Editing a comment
      Non-exclusive means Joyner can negotiate with other teams, but if he signs an offer sheet, the Rams can match. If they don't, the other team must give the Rams two first round picks as compensation.

Seems to me that no team would do that, so the only way Joyner would leave would be if (1) another team signs Joyner, (2) the Rams don't match, and (3) the Rams agree to take less than two first round picks (I'm, frankly, not even sure this would be allowed).

Rams Place Franchise Tag on Lamarcus Joyner
    Posted 2 hours ago
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider
    @MylesASimmons

The Rams have elected to place the non-exclusive franchise tag on safety Lamarcus Joyner, in all likelihood keeping him with the franchise for the 2018 season.

This is the third year in a row — and ninth time in team history — that the Rams have elected to use the franchise tag. Joyner was slated to become an unrestricted free agent on March 14 at the expiration of his rookie contract.

The non-exclusive franchise tag is the same designation the Rams placed on cornerback Trumaine Johnson for the last two years. It is a one-year tender offer for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the players position over the past five years.

While said player can still negotiate with other teams, the original club has the right to match any offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation, should he sign with another club.

Selected by the Rams in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, Joyner played his best professional season in 2017. After spending the first three years of his career mainly as a slot corner, Los Angeles elected to move Joyner to free safety. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said that as one of the Rams’ best defensive players,

this change would allow Joyner to make the most impact.

Joyner proved Phillips correct, as he recorded a career-high three interceptions — one of which he returned for a touchdown — seven pass breakups, and a forced fumble to go along with 61 total tackles.

At the NFL Combine, head coach Sean McVay called bringing back Joyner for 2018 “a huge priority for us.”

“I think some of the things he can do in Wade’s system makes him a huge priority. He’s a great person as well,” McVay said. “He kind of represents a lot of the things that are right about your locker room and kind of what you want guys to embody from a football character standpoint, the way they attack every single day. And Lamarcus is somebody that’s very important and we’d like to get him re-signed for sure.”

Los Angeles may still negotiate a long-term deal with Joyner through July 16.

Comment

Rams use franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner
      3:03 PM ET
      ESPN

The Los Angeles Rams placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on defensive back Lamarcus Joyner on Tuesday, the last day for NFL teams to use the designation.

The value of the tag for Joyner is $11.287 million for the 2018 season. The Rams, who would still like to sign Joyner to a long-term deal, have until July 15 to sign him to a multiyear contract or he will have to play the season on the franchise tag.

This marks the third straight year the Rams have placed the franchise tag on a defensive back. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson had received the tag the past two offseasons. He will be an unrestricted free agent on March 14 when the new league year begins.

The Rams' decision to franchise Joyner also means that wide receiver Sammy Watkins will be an unrestricted free agent next week. The Rams' franchise decision came down to Joyner or Watkins.

Watkins is open to returning to the Rams but also anticipates a strong market in free agency, a source told ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Because the team is using its non-exclusive tag, Joyner is free to sign an offer sheet with another team. Should the Rams choose not to match an offer sheet for Joyner, they would be due two first-round draft picks from his new team.

Joyner spent his first three seasons primarily as a slot corner for the Rams, but he excelled when given a chance to play safety under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017. Joyner earned the third-highest grade among safeties by Pro Football Focus, finishing with three interceptions -- after not recording any in the previous three years -- and 49 tackles in 12 games.

Joyner, 27, allowed a 31.8 passer rating when targeted and 0.36 yards per coverage snaps, ranked 12th among 59 safeties, according to Pro Football Focus. He was one of only two safeties to not miss a tackle in the passing game, and he also covered slot receivers when needed.

Joyner is an aggressive hitter with great ball skills. He was selected in the second round of the 2014 draft after a standout stint as a safety at Florida State, but he played only in sub-packages with the Rams while under Jeff Fisher.

ESPN's Alden Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Comment

Rams apply franchise tag to safety Lamarcus Joyner
        By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
        PUBLISHED: March 6, 2018 at 10:28 am | UPDATED: March 6, 2018 at 10:38 am

Perhaps no player on the Rams’ roster made a bigger transition than Lamarcus Joyner, who went from disgruntled cornerback to “franchise” safety, a move the Rams made official Tuesday.

Joyner received an non-exclusive franchise tag from the Rams, which means they are all but guaranteed to keep him under control for the 2018 season and not lose him to free agency this month.

The use of the non-exclusive tag, rather than the exclusive-rights tag, means Joyner can negotiate and sign an offer sheet with another team this month. The Rams then would have the right to match the offer sheet or decline it and receive two first-round picks, a hefty sum which makes an offer sheet unlikely.

The Rams debated internally whether to tag Joyner or receiver Sammy Watkins, who now becomes a top candidate to leave when the league’s free-agent negotiation period begins Monday. It remains possible the Rams could re-sign Watkins, and other pending free agents, before that day.

In tagging Joyner, though, the Rams ensured a valuable part of their 2017 defense will return, during a time of some tumult. The Rams already have traded veteran linebacker Robert Quinn and could lose linebacker Connor Barwin and cornerback Trumaine Johnson to free agency.

Joyner, who is set to enter his fifth NFL season, has been slowed at times by minor injuries but is coming off a breakthrough season in which he recorded the first three interceptions of his career.

Undersized, and listed at 5-foot-8, 190 pounds, Joyner is aggressive and looked comfortable at free safety last season. A year earlier, Joyner expressed frustration to then-coach Jeff Fisher, and even mentioned the idea of quitting football, due to unhappiness with his role. Joyner settled in nicely in 2017.

Joyner is expected to remain in a safety partnership with John Johnson, who rose into a starting role last season after being drafted in the third round.

The Rams had hoped to sign Joyner to a new long-term contract by now. The franchise tag includes a contract worth almost $11.3 million. Even if (as is expected) Joyner accepts that tendered contract, the Rams still have until mid-July to reach a new deal with Joyner that would override the tag tender.

Matters are less complicated for Watkins and the Rams’ other pending free agents, a list that also includes Barwin, center John Sullivan and cornerbacks Johnson and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

After two trades, which brought in cornerback Marcus Peters and sent out Quinn, the Rams have approximately $46 million in salary-cap space, and they can add another $3 million to that if, as expected, they cut receiver Tavon Austin in the coming weeks.

That’s a solid amount of cap space, but many other teams also have plentiful space, so the market for free agents should be strong. The Rams also must keep in mind star defensive lineman Aaron Donald, who is under contract for 2018 but seeks a massive new deal.

Among the Rams’ high-profile pending free agents, Robey-Coleman and Sullivan seem most likely to return. The Rams now run the risk of losing Watkins, whom they acquired ni August in a trade that sent cornerback E.J. Gaines and this year’s second-round draft pick to Buffalo.

If he reaches the free-agent market, Watkins will be highly coveted, even though he totaled only 39 receptions and 593 yards last season. Watkins did catch eight touchdowns, and the Rams would like to retain him, with the belief a full season in their system will lead to on-field improvements.

The Rams hope to remain in contact with players such as Johnson and Watkins, even if they’re unsigned when the negotiation period begins Monday. That period lasts 48 hours, and then on March 14, players officially become free agents and can sign new contracts.

Comment

Really shouldn't come as a shock when you think about it. Trumaine Johnson will test free agency. Kayvon Webster tore his Achilles and won't be ready. EJ Gaines is long gone. What were the Rams going to do? Let Joyner also get away then draft three corners? Sign some aging vet to plug a gap? Simply can't do that if you wish to maintain a formidable defense. I agree with what they've done here in tagging Joyner. You can't keep losing corners and relying on the defensive line to mask weaknesses in your secondary.

The receiving corps, on the other hand has developed into a decent unit even without Watkins. Woods, Kupp, Cooper and possibly Reynolds and Thomas could round out a nice group. And you can always draft a guy. No question Watkins has ability and is a guy I'd like to keep, but the receiving depth made him less valuable than Joyner.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Really shouldn't come as a shock when you think about it. Trumaine Johnson will test free agency. Kayvon Webster tore his Achilles and won't be ready. EJ Gaines is long gone. What were the Rams going to do? Let Joyner also get away then draft three corners? Sign some aging vet to plug a gap? Simply can't do that if you wish to maintain a formidable defense. I agree with what they've done here in tagging Joyner. You can't keep losing corners and relying on the defensive line to mask weaknesses in your secondary.

The receiving corps, on the other hand has developed into a decent unit even without Watkins. Woods, Kupp, Cooper and possibly Reynolds and Thomas could round out a nice group. And you can always draft a guy. No question Watkins has ability and is a guy I'd like to keep, but the receiving depth made him less valuable than Joyner.

¡Sí señor, totalmente de acuerdo! --

Totally agree, yes sir! Hopefully, we'll be able to keep both Joyner and Watkins so we can eat the cake too.

And then some.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• cowboyhater
              Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner to sign franchise tag (NFL.COM)
              by cowboyhater
              Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner to sign franchise tag

• By Kevin Patra
              Los Angeles Rams franchise tagged safety Lamarcus Joyner will show up for the beginning of offseason workouts today.
              The safety plans to sign his $11.287 million franchise tag on Monday before taking part in the team's offseason conditioning program, Joyner's agent, Sunny Shah, told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
              Joyner's plan is a positive development for the star-studded Rams defense. The safety could have decided to hold off signing the franchise tender until later in the summer, seeking a long-term deal in the process. Until tagged players sign the tender, they are not under contract. Therefore it would not be considered a hold-out situation subject to fines for skipping training camp.
              The Rams prioritized keeping Joyner in place over receiver Sammy Watkins this offseason. Joyner is a key chess piece in Wade Phillips' defense. The 27-year old moved to safety in 2017, thriving in that role. His ability to drop down and play slot corner, where he spent his first three years, makes the 5-foot-8 defender a commodity in today's NFL.
              Keeping Joyner while adding corners Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib this offseason, the Rams built a secondary that has the pieces to be one of the best in the NFL in 2018.
              The Rams will attempt to work out a long-term solution to keep Joyner in L.A. Sides have until July 16 to hammer out a multiyear deal. If they can't get it done by that date, Joyner will play this season on the franchise tag. L.A. could then tag him again next offseason for $13.544 million (120 percent of his 2018 salary) or he'd hit the open market....
              -04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
            • r8rh8rmike
              Rams Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner Says He's 'Light Years' Ahead Of Last Year
              by r8rh8rmike
              Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner says he's 'light years' ahead of last year

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lamarcus Joyner came to the St. Louis Rams with high expectations for himself in 2014.

As a rookie projected to help at nickel cornerback, Joyner had every intention of stepping in and contributing right away. He'd come to St. Louis as a second-round pick from national champion Florida State and figured the adjustment would be tough but not too tough to overcome. He was wrong.

"Definitely a humbling experience for me, both on the field, off the field, just a lot of things that come in this league," Joyner said. "Just adapting, learning the system. Coming from a successful year at the college level and you think you know everything and you just need to get adjusted."

Like most rookies, Joyner didn't know what he didn't know. He found himself pressing too hard to make things happen and often got caught out of position. He picked up six penalties in 10 games, including a costly pass interference in a narrow week 3 loss to Dallas.

After playing the nickel for eight of the first nine games, Joyner suffered a groin injury that kept him out for a few weeks. When he returned, E.J. Gaines had staked a claim to the nickel job and Joyner didn't play again until the final two weeks of the season and that only happened because Gaines suffered a concussion in Week 16.

All told, Joyner finished with 37 tackles, a sack, two pass breakups and a healthy dose of disappointment. So he entered this offseason in search of ways to eliminate mistakes and stake his claim to a more permanent role.

Apparently, Joyner's efforts have worked as he says coaches and teammates have taken notice of his improvement.

"I definitely feel good but two witnesses are better than one, you know what I’m saying?" Joyner said. "So it doesn’t matter what I think. It’s about the organization.

"From the words of the coaches, [it's] 'light years.' I feel good, I feel like I’m there mentally which is the most important part at this level. I’m already blessed with the God-given physical ability so I’m pretty caught up."

During organized team activities (OTAs), Joyner says he feels like he's been doing more reacting than thinking, the sign of a player who has a better handle on what he's doing within the confines of the scheme. He also find himself firmly back in the mix to win the team's nickel corner job.

"Wherever my coaches need me, I am to the point where I know a little more about the defense so nickel corner, safety, next man up is our philosophy," Joyner said.

Joyner doesn't appear to have any direct competition for that nickel corner role but that could shift if the Rams decide to bump Gaines inside with Trumaine Johnson...
              -06-18-2015, 02:12 PM
            • r8rh8rmike
              Lamarcus Joyner Jumps Into Nickel Job With Something To Prove
              by r8rh8rmike
              Lamarcus Joyner jumps into nickel job with something to prove

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For as long as he can remember, football came easy to St. Louis Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner. Until last season.

The 2014 season just so happened to be not only Joyner's toughest year in football but also his rookie season in the NFL. That the two are one in the same is no coincidence.

"It definitely was," Joyner said. "For a guy like myself who you are talking about little league, high school, college had success then had to come to the league and you see that everybody is just as good as you. It's not just 'I'm gonna go tie up my shoes on Sunday and compete.' You have to really prepare and [make] each day count. I didn't understand that coming into this game. It's a continuation of what I have to do to learn in this game."

Little more than halfway through this preseason, Joyner must now hurry that process along. After losing cornerback E.J. Gaines for the season because of a foot injury, Joyner is no longer competing for the team's nickel corner job. It's his.

"He's going to be our inside guy," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's improving every day. He's light years ahead of where he was last year. It was all happening really fast and it's starting to slow down for him. When he knows exactly what to do, he does it very well. We're counting on him to be effective in the slot, which means as a third corner, you're probably going to play 50-60 percent of our snaps."

That Joyner is stepping into that role is really no surprise considering the Rams traded up in the second round in the 2014 draft to select him. In an ideal world, he would have embraced the role last season but a combination of mental miscues and injury issues kept him from solidifying that spot.

As a rookie, Joyner played 10 games and 263 snaps, finishing with 37 tackles, one sack, a pair of pass breakups and six penalties for 41 yards. He was the team's primary slot corner for eight of the first nine games before a groin injury kept him out a few weeks. By the time he returned, Gaines had taken over in the slot with Trumaine Johnson handling outside corner duties when the Rams used their nickel package.

When Joyner went back to watch the film in the offseason, he couldn't believe what he saw.

"It was a disgrace, personally for me," Joyner said. "If I don't owe anyone, I owe myself better than what I was putting on tape out there so I didn't want to look like that guy anymore. So I went and got my mental aspect of the game better."

Joyner's brutal honesty with himself let him know that it wasn't about being faster, stronger or more athletic than everyone else. His film study led him to the conclusion everyone in the NFL is a good athlete with those physical...
              -08-26-2015, 11:47 AM
            • Nick
              Rams, Joyner not expected to agree to long term deal before deadline
              by Nick
              Adam Schefter
              @AdamSchefter

No long-term deal is expected between Los Angeles and Rams’ franchised S Lamarcus Joyner by Monday’s 4 pm ET deadline, though the two sides continue talking, per league sources. If no deal, Joyner would be scheduled to become a free agent after this season.

8:51 PM - 15 Jul 2018
              -07-16-2018, 06:14 AM
            • MauiRam
              Rams' Joyner making progress going into Year 2
              by MauiRam
              By Nate Latsch

ST. LOUIS — Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner described his rookie season as a “humbling experience” after the team’s OTA session on Thursday.
              “Definitely a humbling experience for me, both on the field, off the field — there’s just a lot of things that come with this league,” he said.

The Rams’ second-round pick (No. 41 overall) in 2014 out of Florida State, the diminutive defensive back failed to make much of an impact for the team during his debut season.

Drafted to man the nickel cornerback position in Gregg Williams’ aggressive defense, Joyner finished with 48 tackles, three passes defensed, one sack and one quarterback pressure in 10 games.

Joyner struggled early on, came on after a slow start but was then sidelined by an injury. He returned for the final two games.

What was the hardest part about his rookie campaign?

“Just adapting. Just learning the system. Just coming from a successful year at the college level and you think you know everything and you’re just on the wrong path, you need to get adjusted,” Joyner said. “Coach (Gregg) Williams was a great example of molding me out of that and molding me into the young man I am now.”

What the 5-foot-8, 184-pound defensive back is now is a player who is far more aware of what he is doing in the Rams’ defensive scheme, a player fighting for snaps among the team’s cornerbacks and a player who has earned some praise for his play so far during OTAs.

“I feel like my approach is different and that’s probably coming from the more understanding I have, the more wisdom I have and just knowing what I’m doing,” Joyner said. “Instead of running out there like a blind dog in a meat house and you don’t know which way to go, I know what I’m doing, so now I can pretty much contribute to the defense.”

How much different does Joyner feel now within the defense than he was a year ago as a rookie second-round pick? Joyner said the coaches have used the words “light years” to describe the difference.

“I feel great, I feel like I’m settled in, I’m there mentally, which is the most important part at this level,” Joyner said. “I’m already blessed with the God-given physical ability, so I’m pretty caught up.”

Joyner said he is now at the point where is able to react to what is unfolding instead of having to think about what he should do.

He’s come a long way over the past year, a period of time with plenty of ups and downs for the second-round pick who helped Florida State win a national championship in his final season with the Seminoles.

Joyner took some time after his rookie season to reflect and refocus.

“I definitely got away and had to refocus and ask myself what it is about this game that makes me want to come to work every day and I came to the realization that I still love football,”...
              -06-13-2015, 01:16 AM
            Working...
            X