Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What worries you the most about the upcoming season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What worries you the most about the upcoming season?

We are coming off a sensational year, far beyond any reasonable expectations. We appear to have had a strong offseason and seem well positioned to repeat in the nfc west. Arizona and Seattle do not appear to be improving and while the whiners are obviously an improved and improving team, we appear to be ahead of them. So, what worries you the most for the upcoming season?

Many will say pass rush, especially from the outside linebacker spots in the 3-4. Others point out the linebackers run defense issue. Both are totally valid and legit and worry me.

However, here is what worries me the most. I read in a recent thread that last year's Rams had the least games lost to injury of any NFL team in the last 7 years. We lost ZERO games from the starters on the offensive line all year. We were the only team in the NFL that lost no games to injury on the offensive line (through 15 games).

Injuries are generally speaking just a question of luck. I am always amused when fans think that the trainers have anything material to do with how often players get injured. These teams all have front line fitness guys and medical facilities and resources. If you turn your knee the wrong way, you are going to get hurt no matter what kind of training you have. Can the Rams remain as lucky injury wise this year as they were last year? WIll it even out over two years (ie do we get clobbered injury wise this year since we were so lucky last year?)

My primary concern is risk of injuries to the offensive line. Whitworth and Sullivan are both older guys. Sullivan had a great year and it was a huge signing to retain him. We all know the history with Saffold. However, what kind of depth do we really have on the Oline? Blythe looked ok in really limited play last year, but we are incredibly dependent on the starting oline. If we get hit with injuries on the oline, all our shiny toys at the skill positions arent going to look so great. Was Goff miles ahead last year of his rookie season? Of course. But a big part of that was pass protection and room to run for gurley, giving goff a real ability to use play action and putting him in solid down and distance situations. If injuries on the oline put the rams back into the "drop back to pass and run for your life....and watch todd gurley run into a brick wall in the backfield again" mode, we could and likely will materially regress in terms of our record.

I would love to see us try for some solid depth oline wise in the draft. Those players will be unproven rookies and maybe if we get lucky we can pick up a decent vet or two on the cheap at the end of free agency. But for now, what keeps me up at night is less about pass rush (which generally stresses me out during the day rather than at 3am) and more about whether we can keep the offensive line healthy for another full season.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -04-05-2018, 07:41 PM.

OL for sure. I agree. That's our chink in the armor right now compared to the status of the rest of the squads.

Comment

The concern I have is that we are no longer a secret. Last year, we were a team with a ton of question marks coming off 13 straight losing seasons. No one reasonably expected much more than a .500 season at best. We exceeded expectations and now have the pressure of building on last year's achievement. This is no easy task. Teams will be gunning for us- and we will sneak up on no one. McVay will have to show last year wasn't an anomaly and adjust to the wrinkles opponents will throw at us. And I worry about the "Rams being loaded" talk. Peters, Suh, and Talib have won nothing in a Rams uniform yet. Many times in sports a "sure thing" turns out to be anything but. Hopefully, that's not the case with the 2018 Rams.

Comment

Interesting view NJ.

By the same token, I trust that the team, as a whole, will FEEL the potential (paper) thus far prepared and yes, also the resultant fact that WE ARE LOADED, that there is a promise.

Indeed, other teams will be looking out for us - on the crosshairs of their weapons. Again, I'd like to think that the 2018 Rams will be eager, hungry and optimistic. Still, I think we need to get our OL strengthened and deeper, that is my current concern.

But I believe. As early as it is - two weeks before the Draft - I believe. I feel positive, optimistic.
        Last edited by RealRam; -04-06-2018, 01:20 AM. Reason: Tyop

Comment

I couldn't agree more GC. With the injury history of most of our O-line it was a miracle that they made it through last season the way they did. We need some depth there for sure. It would be a good time to get a rookie or two that could learn from Whit and Sullivan and be ready to step in within the next couple of years. The Rams have not been particularly good at drafting O-linemen though. At least they can't waste a number one or two overall pick on one this year.

Comment

My real concern is the same as last year: Whitworth. He's by far the oldest starting offensive lineman in the league (he was that 3 years ago) and if he gets hurt, the offense will take a step backwards. Saffold has been remarkably healthy compared to the history of his career.

Comment

I worry about fans and media talking heads trying to set up 2018 as a "win it all or its a failure" season. I think the Rams are contenders in 2018, but there are other good teams and there is no guarantee that the Rams will win it all.

If we can't get to a Super Bowl within the next 3-4 years, I'll be disappointed, as I think we have, and can maintain, a core that will contend over that period.

Comment

We've got to get some better talent on the OL, ASAP. Unless there is something I don't know about the current crop of players used for depth last year. I think its high time the Rams brought in some different faces through the draft. It's a shame the team doesn't have any premium picks this year, but it's definitely possible finding some good lineman in the later rounds. I don't think the Rams drafted any of the OL in last years draft, so it'll be interesting to see who they'll take if they do take some OL.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundDog39 View Post
                  We've got to get some better talent on the OL, ASAP. Unless there is something I don't know about the current crop of players used for depth last year. I think its high time the Rams brought in some different faces through the draft. It's a shame the team doesn't have any premium picks this year, but it's definitely possible finding some good lineman in the later rounds. I don't think the Rams drafted any of the OL in last years draft, so it'll be interesting to see who they'll take if they do take some OL.
                  If you are saying our starting OL is insufficient, I'd disagree with you. They did a very good job last year, and could get better with more time as a unit.

If you are saying that we need better quality depth behind the starters, I agree completely. I think Austin Blythe performed well in spot duty last year, but beyond him, the dropoff to the second unit is huge. I think the Rams will use at least 3 of their 8 picks on OL to bolster the reserves and, hopefully, find a future starter or two.

Comment

I have to admit that my greatest concern about this year will be having all these moving parts (Talib, Peters, Suh and Cooks) mesh with our existing players. Not acquiring OBJ was a huge win for us as he's a very disruptive force. My confidence is that McVay is a good communicator and is able to connect with younger players who often become misguided. On the defensive side Wade is so experienced and he conveys the sense of confidence that players will hopefully trust his coaching.

Injuries and media hype are other areas that warrant concern. Injuries are an issue every year, but our draft selections are perfectly set to acquire depth at various spots. This year with so many QB's available that will push some other talented players down to where we are drafting. Media hype will be the job of the coaching staff to monitor. It cuts both ways as I've already heard pundits claim the Rams are spending out of control and don't know what they're doing. Well when you're 11-5 this is a way to get to an even better level, which is the goal.

Things have changed for all of us on this site very quickly. I'm loving it and look forward to the season starting.

Go Rams!

Comment

To Avenger.!!
                      Yeah, I was talking about the depth on the roster. I can't see the Rams five starters from last season going the whole season without missing games through injury. The depth behind the starters is as bad as its ever been, so I'd like to see some new talented OL players found and brought to the roster. Not just for depth, but ideally for competition for the starters as well.

Comment

This is easy; will Goff continue to progress as a QB? That's far and away the biggest concern not only for this year, but the entire trajectory of this franchise.

Secondarily - the health of Whitworth and Gurley.

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X