Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many players are "locks" for the Final 53?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many players are "locks" for the Final 53?

Who is a "lock" to make the final 53:

Here's my count:

Veterans (27)
    Jared Goff
    Sean Mannion
    Todd Gurley
    Andrew Whitworth
    Rob Havenstein
    John Sullivan
    Jamon Brown
    Rodger Saffold
    Brandin Cooks
    Robert Woods
    Cooper Kupp
    Pharoh Cooper
    Josh Reynolds
    Gerald Everett
    Tyler Higbee
    Michael Brockers
    Ndamukong Suh
    Aaron Donald
    Samson Ebukam
    Corey Littleton
    Marcus Peters
    Aqib Talib
    Nickell Robey-Coleman
    John Johnson
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Johnny Hekker
    Jake McQuaide

Rookies (5)
    Joe Noteboom
    Brian Allen
    John Franklin-Myers
    Micah Kiser
    Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

So that's 32 guys who I think are absolute locks.

I've left out the following players who I are locks provided that they are recovered from previous injuries:

Mark Barron
    Matt Longacre
    Dominique Easley
    Sam Shields
    Greg Zuerlein

If they're healthy, that takes the number to 37.

The next group are "near-locks," who are players that have the inside track to a roster spot:

Austin Blythe
    Malcolm Brown
    Michael Thomas
    Ethan Westbrooks
    Morgan Fox
    Bryce Hager
    Ramik Wilson
    Troy Hill
    Marquis Christian
    Blake Countess

That gets you to 47.

So... if I'm right and all of these guys make the team, that leaves only 6 roster spots (not counting practice squad) for the remaining prospects to fight over.

My current favorites are:

Temmarick Hemmingway
    Darrell Williams
    John Kelly
    Tanzel Smart
    Ejuan Price
    Justin Lawler

Granted this is a pre pre-season list, but you've written off the entire list of UDFA's. Plus we are without a TE who will be a blocker replacing Derek Carrier. The RB spot is pretty bare too. I'm hoping we have Justin Davis as our change-of-pace RB now that Tavon Austin is gone.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
      Granted this is a pre pre-season list, but you've written off the entire list of UDFA's. Plus we are without a TE who will be a blocker replacing Derek Carrier. The RB spot is pretty bare too. I'm hoping we have Justin Davis as our change-of-pace RB now that Tavon Austin is gone.

Go Rams!
      At RB, I think that after Gurley, Malcolm Brown is probably going to be the back-up, which leaves a battle between Kelly and Davis for the third spot. Davis' fumbling concerns me.

Right now, given the makeup of the roster, I think it will be difficult for any of the UDFAs to stick. You never know, though, which is why camp and preseason can be worth watching.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        From 90 to 53, here’s the math on the Rams’ roster situation
        Nick
        From 90 to 53, here’s the math on the Rams’ roster situation
        By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
        PUBLISHED: August 25, 2017 at 6:13 pm | UPDATED: August 25, 2017 at 6:15 pm

The Rams and Chargers brawled three times when the teams practiced together this month, but when they meet in Saturday’s preseason game at the Coliseum, the true battle for the Rams will be internal.

This is the third of four preseason games, and at the conclusion, the Rams’ roster will be cut from 90 to its season-opening limit of 53. Next week’s game, though, is window dressing, the very definition of “exhibition.” For players on the roster bubble, Saturday’s game could be the last chance to shine.

“It just seems like I’ve been a part of teams every single year,” Coach Sean McVay said, “where a few guys you never expect to, they end up finding a way to make a contribution and give themselves some value, whether that be through special teams, or showing up on offense or defense.”

So who is off the bubble? Only McVay and Rams executives know, but here’s a reasonable guess:

Quarterbacks Jared Goff and Sean Mannion are safe, as are running backs Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown, receivers Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Pharoh Cooper and Tavon Austin, tight ends Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett and Temarrick Hemingway, and offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Cody Wichmann, Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown and John Sullivan.

On defense, linemen Michael Brockers, Ethan Westbrooks, Matt Longacre, Tanzel Smart and Louis Trinca-Pasat seem set, as do linebackers Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron, Ejuan Price and Samson Ebukam, and defensive backs Trumaine Johnson, Mike Jordan, Lamarcus Joyner, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mo Alexander and Cody Davis.

Finally, kicker Greg Zuerlein, punter Johnny Hekker and long snapper Jake McQuaide are locks.

That’s 39 players. Recent playing time indicates that fullback Sam Rogers, receiver Josh Reynolds, offensive linemen Jake Eldrenkamp and Darrell Williams, defensive linemen Mike Purcell, linebacker Josh Forrest and defensive backs John Johnson and Marqui Christian also will make the cut.

Then there’s Aaron Donald, who presumably will end his holdout one way or another and become No. 48. Remember also that receiver Mike Thomas and Troy Hill will be suspended for the start of the season and running back Lance Dunbar will start on the injured list, meaning none of them will occupy a roster spot.

That leaves perhaps five spots, and how will they be broken down?

The Rams figure to keep either running back Justin Davis or Aaron Green, and one of three offensive linemen: Austin Blythe, Andrew Donnal (whose current injury status makes this murky) and Pace Murphy.

Four linebackers — Nic Grigsby, Bryce Hager, Cory Littleton...
        -08-25-2017, 07:23 PM
      • Nick
        ESPN's Alden Gonzalez makes final 53-man roster projection
        Nick
        Rams' 53-man roster includes 17 new players
        10:00 PM ET
        Alden Gonzalez
        ESPN Staff Writer

The Los Angeles Rams must cut their roster to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday, Sept. 2. Here's a final 53-man roster projection:

QUARTERBACKS (2): Jared Goff, Sean Mannion
        I went back and forth on this, but ultimately opted not to put Dan Orlovsky on the roster. Goff, the starter, and Mannion, his backup, are both young. Orlovsky has a ton of experience, with a dozen years as mainly an NFL backup. But he hasn't shown much this preseason, and the Rams are going to ride their young quarterbacks throughout the year no matter what. I have them using that roster spot elsewhere.

RUNNING BACKS (4): Malcolm Brown, Justin Davis, Aaron Green, Todd Gurley
        Asked earlier this week about the running back room getting smaller after final cuts, Gurley said, "I hope it doesn't get any smaller than it is now. There's only about three or four guys in there." The Rams signed Lance Dunbar over the offseason with hopes that he can be their change-of-pace back, but a pre-existing knee injury has kept him from practicing. Brown has established himself as Gurley's backup. Davis, an undrafted rookie out of USC, has looked good in space, though he has had fumbling issues.

FULLBACKS (1): Sam Rogers
        The Rams drafted Rogers out of Virginia Tech in the sixth round this year. He's a 5-foot-10, 235-pound ball of fire who can block, run the ball and catch passes. It'll be interesting to see if Rams coach Sean McVay finds some type of role for Rogers in this offense. He drafted him for a reason.

WIDE RECEIVERS (6): Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods
        The Watkins acquisition has Nelson Spruce, in my mind, as the odd man out. He's a local product and a fan favorite, and he shined in last year's preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. But Spruce barely got on the field after that last season and hasn't really stood out this preseason. The Rams are a lot more talented at receiver now. Paul McRoberts and Shakeir Ryan, who has been returning punts, were also tough cuts here.

TIGHT ENDS (3): Gerald Everett, Cory Harkey, Tyler Higbee
        Temarrick Hemingway suffered a fractured fibula during Saturday's preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers, an injury that could prompt him to miss the entire season. That suddenly opens up a role for Harkey, a sixth-year player, to serve as the third tight end. Harkey doesn't bring Hemingway's skills and athleticism in the passing game, but he's a solid blocker who McVay considers reliable as a receiver. Said Harkey: "I'm here to do whatever I need to do to help the team win, and that's my attitude my whole career."

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Austin Blythe, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Whitworth, Darrell...
        -08-31-2017, 08:25 PM
      • AvengerRam
        RFE's Post-Draft Rams Roster Breakdown
        AvengerRam
        Here is my breakdown of the roster after the draft by position (number of players likely to be on 53 man roster in parenthesis).

Quarterbacks (2-3)

Locks: Jared Goff, Sean Mannion
        Likely: Aaron Murray

I think the QBs who will be on the roster are already signed. The only question is whether the Rams will keep 2 or 3 QBs on the roster.

Running Back/Fullback (4-6)

Locks: Todd Gurley, Lance Dunbar
        Likely: Malcolm Brown, Sam Rogers

Aaron Green is the incumbent with the inside track to a roster spot, but UFA Justin Davis may have a shot as well.

Wide Receiver (5-6)

Locks: Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds
        Likely: Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper

I considered listing Austin and Cooper as “locks,” but the fact that the new regime has signed one and drafted two WRs makes me think that perhaps they are not all that high on the incumbents. That said, unless a trade can be worked out for Austin, he'’ll definitely be on the roster, and I’'d be very surprised if Cooper did not ultimately make it (particularly given the fact that he might be our best kickoff returner with Benny Cunningham gone). If there is a sixth spot, I’d say that Mike Thomas has the best chance, followed by Bradley Marquez and Nelson Spruce.

Tight End (2-4)

Locks: Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett
        Likely: Temmarick Hemmingway

Not a lot of uncertainty here.

Offensive Line (8-9)

Locks: Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Rob Havenstein, Greg Robinson
        Likely: n/a

Robinson is a lock only because of his contract. I’m not certain he’ll be a starter. I don'’t have any in the “likely” category because I don’t see any presumptive favorites among players like Cody Wichmann, Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal. I also think there is a significant likelihood that the Rams will add a veteran FA or two before the season starts.

Defensive Line (6-7)

Locks: Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Dominique Easley
        Likely: Tyrunn Walker, Tanzel Smart, Ethan Westbrooks

I think the Rams are fairly well set here. There may be some camp battles, but these six should all be there on opening day.

Linebacker (6-8)

Locks: Robert Quinn, Connor Barwin, Alec Ogletree
        Likely: Mark Barron, Samson Ekuban, Ejuan Price, Josh Forrest

I could be 100% wrong, but I still think Barron is a misfit in this defense, and could be a guy the Rams might offer in a trade. Either way, my list is short on ILBs, so the Rams could look to add some veteran depth there.

Defensive Backs (7-9)

Locks: Trumaine Johnson, Kayvon Webster, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mo Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson
        Likely: E.J. Gaines, Cody Davis

I think the Rams have enough for now. Given that Johnson, Alexander...
        -05-03-2017, 10:49 AM
      • AvengerRam
        Who is part of the core for 2018?
        AvengerRam
        In my mind, the core consists of starters and key rotation players who (1) are signed through 2018, (2) are not guys I believe might need to be restructured, (3) are not suffering from a potentially lingering injury, and (4) are not guys I believe need to be upgraded.

These 17 players are clearly part of the core:

QB Jared Goff
        RB Todd Gurley
        WR Robert Woods
        WR Cooper Kupp
        TE Gerald Everett
        OT Andrew Whitworth
        OG Rodger Saffold
        OG Jamon Brown
        OT Rob Havenstein
        DL Michael Brockers
        DL Aaron Donald
        ILB Alec Ogletree
        SS John Johnson
        K Greg Zuerlein
        P Johnny Hekker
        KR/PR Pharoh Cooper
        LB/ST Cory Littleton

Brown and Havenstein were close calls, but I think they will return. Kayvon Webster was left off the list solely for health reasons. Mark Barron and Robert Quinn were left off due to their contracts, though both could potentially be retained on their current deals. Tyler Higbee could perhaps be part of this list, though I'm hoping Gerald Everett becomes the starter and Higbee becomes the second TE.

Some key backups you also could add to the list are Austin Blythe, Josh Reynolds, Tanzel Smart, Samson Ebukam and Malcolm Brown.

I think that's a strong core.

Now... how do we make it even stronger?
        -01-08-2018, 10:29 AM
      • AvengerRam
        Talking Heads' assertion that this is a one-and-done roster is not accurate.
        AvengerRam
        In the past 24 hours, I've heard a lot of chatter from media talking heads asserting that the Rams are built for a one-year run before the roster is gutted in FA.

Maybe they just aren't paying attention. Here is a list of the potential starters who are locked in for only one year.

Rodger Saffold
        Aaron Donald
        Lamarcus Joyner
        Brandin Cooks
        Rob Havenstein
        Jamon Brown
        Ndamukong Suh
        Matt Longacre
        Corey Littleton

If all the Rams had done this year was add, perhaps this would be a major concern. However, by trading away the big contracts of Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree, refraining from giving Trumaine Johnson and Sammy Watkins huge deals, and restructuring Tavon Austin, the Rams are currently on pace to have around $80-$90M in cap room in 2019 (compare that to, for example, the Eagles, who are currently on pace to by $19M over the cap in 2019), and well over $100M in 2020.

Given this, there is no reason why the Rams can't sign most of these players. I suspect Donald will be taken care of this offseason. I'm hoping Joyner and Cooks will be as well. Suh could be a one-year rental, but there's no certainty there. The rest are guys who will not command premium dollars and could be replaced if necessary.

Of course, the Rams have to look to the future, as key players like Todd Gurley, Marcus Peters and Jared Goff will all need new deals in the coming years.

But, if the Rams' Front Office does its job, there's no reason why the core of this roster could not be maintained for a run of 3-4 years....
        -04-04-2018, 02:16 PM
      Working...
      X