• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Their Own Words: Kiser Eager to Make an Immediate Impact on Rams Defense

In Their Own Words: Kiser Eager to Make an Immediate Impact on Rams Defense

Posted 20 hours ago

Kristen LagoRams Writer/Reporter@kristennlago

With the close of the 2018 NFL Draft, 11 college prospects can now call themselves Los Angeles Rams.

After a draft haul that saw the franchise make moves to acquire 10 selections in Day 3 alone, the Rams were able to replenish depth at multiple positions — bringing in several new, dynamic playmakers.

And now that the big event has come and past, therams.com will be taking a look at each member of the club’s 2018 Draft Class.
    Linebacker was one of the Rams’ clear needs heading into the 2018 NFL Draft. Not only will Los Angeles likely be without both of its starters on the outside, but it also lost one of two starting inside linebackers — trading Alec Ogletree to the Giants during the offseason.

And while each of these losses represents a potential hole in the Rams roster, they also spell new opportunities for the four incoming linebackers drafted in 2018.

Virginia’s Micah Kiser is one such player. Kiser was the second player in ACC history — after current Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly — to lead the conference in tackles for three consecutive seasons. He is a versatile player who comes to L.A. “ready to contribute and be as productive as I can.”

Here is Micah Kiser in his own words:

On his reaction to becoming a Los Angeles Ram:

“I’m pumped. This is a blessing. I knew along, I knew the Rams organization liked me as a player and were interested. I’m just so happy to be a Ram, so glad that they chose me.”

On what he brings to Los Angeles:

“I’m a very smart linebacker, a leader on the field, and a great player. Very productive, I think I’ve been one of the more productive linebackers in college football over the last three years. I’m just going to come in and do whatever they want me to do — special teams, linebacker. I’m just all about the team and I’m just a football player.”

On if he believes he can come in and make an immediate impact:

“You know the roster, but everyone at this level is a pro, so you have to come in and work. Anyone can play. Anyone that gets picked in this draft or is a veteran, is a great football player. So, I’m just ready to come in and put my best foot forward and be as productive as I can. I feel like I’ve done a lot at the college level and it’s only going to get better.”

Music to my eyes.

All the best to The Kiser.

Comment

that is a mighty big check the kid wrote with his mouth, hope his (censored) can cash it....but its good to see the swagger.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        PFF: Ranking the edge defender prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft
        Nick
        Something to keep in mind as the Rams are now faced with replacing Robert Quinn......
        -03-03-2018, 05:43 AM
      • Nick
        Kupp Named to 2017 PFWA All-Rookie Team
        Nick
        Kupp Named to 2017 PFWA All-Rookie Team
        Posted 5 hours ago
        Kristen Lago
        Rams Writer/Reporter

Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp finished his first NFL season as one of the league’s most productive rookies, paving the way for a bright future in Los Angeles.

In just 15 games, Kupp set a franchise rookie record with 62 receptions, also racking up 869 yards and five touchdowns. With that, it’s no surprise the Eastern Washington product was named to the Pro Football Writers of America All-Rookie Team on Tuesday.

The list is comprised of 28 players, describing the best rookies across the league. In all, 21 clubs were represented in this season’s All-Rookie team.

It didn’t take long for Kupp to make an impact on the Rams offense.

Los Angeles selected Kupp in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft, and the wideout developed a strong chemistry with quarterback Jared Goffduring the offseason program. That rapport is what helped Kupp to lead the Rams in both targets (92) and yards receiving.

Kupp was also second among all rookies in receiving yards and touchdowns, behind only Pittsburgh wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (917 yards, seven touchdowns).

Although the wideout had his share of struggles this season, Kupp showcased a remarkable ability to bounce back. And overall, he became one of the team’s most reliable offensive weapons.

“Cooper has done a great job maximizing his opportunities,” head coach Sean McVay said of Kupp’s rookie campaign. “You look at it, he’s had a lot of production, [and] demonstrates a lot of maturity, you almost forget that he is a rookie. He’s been a big part in some of the offensive success that we’ve had this year.”

The PFWA is comprised of accredited writers who provide daily coverage of the NFL and its 32 teams.
        -01-16-2018, 05:19 PM
      • RealRam
        Rams Senior Equipment Manager D. Hewitt Dies
        RealRam
        Longtime Senior Equipment Manager Hewitt Dies
        Thursday, February 8, 2007

Don Hewitt, who retired in 1995 as the St. Louis Rams’ Senior Equipment Manager, has passed away after a long illness. Hewitt was 83 and resided in Huntington Beach, California.

Hewitt was the Rams’ equipment manager from 1967-94 but his legacy continues today. Don‘s son, Todd, who first assisted his father at age 11 and learned the business from the bottom up, succeeded Don as Equipment Manager in 1995. Todd’s teenage sons, Josh and Dalton, are on their dad’s staff during training camp and in the football season.

“My dad always felt that it wasn’t a job but a way of life,” said Todd Hewitt. “Dad did it with dedication and passion. To him the Rams family was an extension of his family.”

Don Hewitt was a native of Fresno, California, who played football at Fresno State and was an infielder in the Oakland Oaks’ Pacific Coast League organization. He began coaching at Arcadia High in Southern California in 1956 and became Equipment Manager at the University of Southern California in 1965.

Hewitt joined the Rams after two seasons at USC at a time the Rams were moving their in-season training facility from the San Fernando Valley to the Blair Field recreation facility in Long Beach, California.

Hewitt supervised the equipment move when the Rams opened Rams Park in Anaheim, California, in 1981 and he helped in the move to St. Louis in 1995. A favorite of players and staff, the senior Hewitt visited the training facility often in St. Louis and attended the Rams’ game in San Diego in Week 8 of the 2006 season.

Hewitt is survived by his wife, Jackie, sons Todd, Michael, John and Matthew, twins Wendy and Marsha, and Robin and Kathie; 14 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Services are pending.
        -02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
      • Nick
        2018 DRAFT Round 5 #160: Rams take Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DE/LB, Oklahoma
        Nick
        More info to come!
        -04-28-2018, 01:05 PM
      • Rambos
        Past, Present and Future Come Together for 75th Anniversary
        Rambos
        Nick Wagoner

Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah and Lawrence McCutcheon watch Saturday's morning walk through.

It has been said that if you want to know where you’re going, you must first understand where you’ve been.

With almost a starting 22 worth of Rams legends in town for this weekend’s 75th anniversary celebration, there was no better time for coach Jeff Fisher to show his team the many amazing places they’ve already been.

“It’s a rich tradition and history,” Fisher said. “It’s important that the players understand that those that came before them are still part of the organization.”

So it was that Fisher wasted no opportunity to break out the blueprints and bring in the former Rams ranging from Hall of Famers such as Jack Youngblood and Jackie Slater to important cogs like Tom Nutten and Ernie Conwell.

In all, 20 former Rams are in town for this weekend’s 75th anniversary celebration and if Fisher gets his way, they all will have some form of contact with the current team. Laughs will be shared, stories will be told, fellowship will be had and bridges will be built across time.

For former members of the Los Angeles edition of the Rams such as quarterback Vince Ferragamo, it’s the first opportunity to see the team’s current digs. Others, such as kicker Jeff Wilkins haven’t been back since retiring five years ago.

Current Rams such as defensive tackle Kendall Langford will get the chance to meet luminaries like Rosey Grier.

They all share a common bond.

“It just brings chills down your spine to think about the great history of the team,” Ferragamo said. “I think that’s what coach Jeff Fisher is trying to deploy here that he wants it to be a tradition. That’s how you build things. You build them with tradition and you build from the ground floor up. Seventy five years is a long time but you still have the horns on so you still have some kind of attachment to the team when you see those horns on the helmet.”

BRIDGING THE GAP

On Friday afternoon, Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle surprised his group by bringing Youngblood in to speak and take part in film study.

Blown away by the presence of the Hall of Famers, the young linemen tweeted out pictures of Youngblood and shared his message as Youngblood told them to play every play like it’s your last because you don’t know when the last could come.
        Youngblood also made it clear to the team that he shouldn’t have to motivate them to play because if they needed that, they were in the wrong business.

“To have a Hall of Famer in the room, a legend, one of the greats that ever did it, it was just an honor to be in the room with him,” Langford said. “When greatness is around you, you know it. These guys are definitely great players in this game.”

On Saturday, Fisher invited any...
        -12-02-2012, 04:50 PM
      Working...
      X