• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams want old school uniforms now - NFL says "no"

Rams want to wear blue and yellow uniforms more often, but NFL says no

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2018, 9:51 AM EDT
    Getty Images

Since the Rams moved back to Los Angeles, questions have raged about which uniforms they should wear: The blue and white of Merlin Olsen in the 1960s? The blue and yellow of Eric Dickerson in the 1980s? The blue and gold of the St. Louis years? Some combination?

The Rams are working on a permanent answer, but in the meantime they’d like to wear the Dickerson-style throwbacks more. The NFL, however, has other ideas.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff says the team has asked the NFL for permission to wear the blue and yellow throwbacks more often, but the NFL limited the Rams to wearing them twice last season. Demoff said he’s working on explaining to the league office that the fans would prefer those uniforms.

“We have spent the year educating them on our fan base,” Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

Demoff said the Navy blue jerseys the Rams have worn aren’t anyone’s favorite.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” he said. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow. If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will.”

It’s a bit odd that the NFL won’t let teams wear whatever uniforms they want, but it appears that the Rams still have some work to do to convince the league to let them wear those Dickerson-style uniforms on a full-time basis.

It's good to know the Rams front office is at least trying to get the uniforms changed. My preference is the Dickerson era yellow and blue. So, I'm happy to hear that is the color combo they're lobbying for. At least for now.

Comment

Initially, I was on the bandwagon for returning to the blue and yellow that I grew up watching the Rams play in and eventually win a super bowl in. I've heard a few mention the blue and white of the late 60's and 70's era, and I thought that was too bland. Now, my coffee mug at the office has convinced me otherwise, and I now have a new color scheme preference....

Here's the story. My coffee mug and I hang out at work sometimes. And when I go to the water cooler... my mug is almost always with me. My mug is always down for a jaunt to the cooler. Did I mention that emblazoned on my mug's face is a giant Rams logo? Well it is. Really cool mug, this mug. Here's a photo of me mug!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ramcup gold.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	820878

So just recently, my buddy mug hit a snag on his pewter face, and all of a sudden the st. louis-esque gold liner on em tweaked and fell off. I got bummed for my mug... for like a minute. That's when I realized, he looked better than ever. My mug was already blue and white, but with the gold gone, I realized what was missing all along, wasn't yellow to go along with a different shade of blue.... it was pewter! Check out me mug now! Sporty-

Click image for larger version  Name:	ramcup silver2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	820879

So if you ask me, I think the Rams new unis should go back to blue and white of the fearsome foursome, but with the added glint of pewter/steel/silver etc. as the 3rd trim color.

Comment

why would the NFL give two hoots what uniform the Rams wear or any other NFL team for that matter?????

Hell if anything its more revenue to have limited addition special uniforms with limited production runs.... give 5 to the players so they can sign so they could be auctioned off with the proceeds to go to NFL charities...

Should be a standard rule that the prior Super Bowl teams have in the following year special uniforms for those that played & stayed with their teams (a special patch & ETC.) so those can be offered to their fans ...

Its sad that the players themselves are more often involved with their communities and fan relations then the NFL in general...at least in terms of optics. This yea/nay need for approval of uniforms from NFL HQ is poor optics and gives the fans a bad taste in their mouth

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	jack_snow_1965_09_01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	820884 -

The design that I thought would be "more likely to be approved" by the NFL people in charge[?!?] of this matter is the one the Rams donned in both Super Bowls, i.e., XIV and XXXIV.

But I'm with you K2. In my heart the true favorite is the victory white / royal blue uniform that was released in 1964, be it the home or away versions (at home combo is just my all-time favorite). The above images are from 1965.

A very close 2nd choice is, as I said, the SB unis, especially with the white jersey.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27cd3ea5117cd475c2957dc8b49b7e13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	820885

I've been rooting for, and watching the Rams since 1958. Have always been biased because of the horns but they had nice uniforms back then too. There's an exclusive thread here about our colors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2015-12-22_23-44-09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	820886

So ... who's really "in charge" of the NFL uniform rules and protocols! A committee? An individual?
          Get'em on the phone. NOW! -
          A A A R G H ! ! !
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RealRam; -05-14-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Gold - the color of champions
            Yellow - the color of Big Bird and cowards.
            The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
              Interesting you say that, given the Rams wore yellow when they won the super bowl (a year before switching to gold).

I realize though you may be trying to say it hasn't been yellow all along, and that the Rams have always been gold... but that would fly in the face of all the documentation of their uniforms. I recalled an article about Rams uniform color history from a couple years ago so I pulled it up. This is from the Rams' own website, and it describes when the Rams added yellow, as well as when it was changed to gold. It's a little long, but I'm pasting it so as to avoid throwing up a link

Rams Uniform History

Posted Nov 12, 2015
              Austin Lankford Digital Media Intern @AustinLankford3

Founding of the Rams and Initial Color Scheme

The Rams franchise was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1937. Club owner Homer Marshman named the team after Fordham University’s mascot and ultimately adopted a similar color scheme of red and black. The team played under this combination with a red helmet for it’s first season.

1938 – The Change to Yellow and Blue

It didn’t take long for the Rams to make a change to the current colors, switching to blue and yellow in 1938. The reason for the change is up for debate, one theory being that the original scheme was too similar to other teams in the league at the time, thus the change to a yellow-gold and blue combination.

Variation of Blue and Yellow

In 1945, the team kept the same color scheme, but changed the design slightly in what can be considered a flip of sorts. The 1938 version of the uniform had blue as the primary color. In the 1945 variation, yellow became more predominant and blue outlined the shoulders and provided number coloring. The helmet remained yellow during this period.

1948 – The Horns

The 1948 uniform change is arguably the most notable one. Aside from dropping blue shoulders there isn’t much difference in this uniform and the one from 1945, save for one crucial element. Horns. The Rams were the first professional football franchise to put a logo on the helmet. A Rams player and graphic artist by the name of Fred Gehrke had the idea to paint the helmet blue and design the horns on either side of the helmet. As the story goes, Gehrke was paid to paint all 75 helmets at $1.00 each.

This version of the uniform didn’t change much except for some added blue stripes on the sleeves. The helmet, the primary yellow color, and the blue numbering remained the same.

1957 – Primary Color Swap

In 1957, blue was swapped to the primary color and yellow now made out the numbers, which can be seen in their traditional location as well high on the outside of the shoulder. The 1951 blue shoulder stripes were also changed to yellow.

Mid 60s to Early 70s

This period of Rams uniforms are most synonymous with “The Fearsome Foursome,” one of the most dominant defensive lines in history. The group included Lamar Lundy, Rosey Grier, Merlin Olsen, and Deacon Jones. The predominantly white uniform was worn on the road and featured long sleeves and blue numbering. The home jerseys were blue with short sleeves that had white stripes on the end. The helmet was blue with a white horn.

The 1979 jersey pulled together all three previous primary colors. White laid the base for blue numbers and rounded out with yellow sleeves. The helmet took on the original 1948 yellow horns.

The Rams made another primary color switch in 1988, basically creating the opposite of the 1979 uniform.

In 1994 the Rams developed throwback uniforms as part of a league-wide tribute to the NFL’s 75th anniversary. The uniform is a near copy from the one introduced in 1951.

The Rams kept the home jersey the same as 1988, adding only a patch symbolizing the franchise’s first year in St. Louis.

In the Rams’ Super Bowl season, the road uniform didn’t stray far from the scheme from 1979.

2000 – Yellow to Gold

For the first time in the franchise’s history, yellow was replaced by gold. It outlined the blue numbering and also added a stripe on each side of the jersey. The uniform most resembles what we see today. Gold remains in place of yellow and is used for the numbering on a mostly blue jersey. Gold trim is also added to the neckline.

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
                Interesting you say that, given the Rams wore yellow when they won the super bowl (a year before switching to gold).
                They also wore yellow when they won the NFL Championship in 1951. The Rams, Packers, Steelers, and Redskins have all worn yellow in winning dozens of championships combined.

Comment

Yes, yes, the '51 Rams, the '99 Rams, Packers, Steelers, Redskins....throw in the Lakers and whoever else. All wore yellow while winning a championship.

None of that is what I'm talking about. I'm simply exposing the universal truth that gold is the color of champions and yellow is the color of cowardice. Just a personal preference. I believe our yellow uniforms look like a bunch of Big Birds running around the field.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

---
                    comment deleted - poster error
                    ---

Comment

I believe our yellow uniforms look like a bunch of Big Birds running around the field.
                      Love the honesty.

Comment

Yes, yes, the '51 Rams, the '99 Rams, Packers, Steelers, Redskins....throw in the Lakers and whoever else. All wore yellow while winning a championship.

None of that is what I'm talking about. I'm simply exposing the universal truth that gold is the color of champions and yellow is the color of cowardice. Just a personal preference. I believe our yellow uniforms look like a bunch of Big Birds running around the field.
                        Hmmm.... what would that look like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	rambird.png
Views:	1
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	820905

Comment

Yikes. That is one crazy football player. Unlikely he'll make the 53-man roster.

So we're just trying to define the 'Yellow/Gold' and 'Gold/Yellow' colors. ...I hope.

Even the Rams' description of the uni is often mentioned as "Yellow-Gold" (not the gold hue of early 2000 years below).

Click image for larger version  Name:	4d4adc6c3adaa.image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	820907
                          Last edited by RealRam; -05-15-2018, 02:23 PM. Reason: Memorable image

Comment

BTW, that dark blue and metallic gold (post #13), I like those colors only because they confirm, if you will, the GSOT scoring machine of the NFL. But not enough to bring back now. Perhaps occasionally in the 'far future'.

Comment

Working...
                            X