Undrafted FAs Most Likely to Stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undrafted FAs Most Likely to Stick

There are not a lot of job opening on the Rams roster this year. Most will be filled by veterans and players drafted in Rounds 3-5 of this year's draft.

That said, there is always a chance that an undrafted free agent will make enough of an impression to stick.

Here are the five that I believe have the best chance:

1. Tegray Scales, ILB, Indiana
    If you watch Scales' tape and look at his stats, you'd probably wonder why he was not drafted. The answer: he's 6'0, 227 lbs. Still, he may have enough upside as a pure football player to earn a spot on this roster. He should certainly embrace the special teams part of the job, as that could be a place where he can excel.

2. Steven Parker, S, Oklahoma
    The Rams are not particularly deep at safety, so two of my five are prospects at that position. Parker has good size (6'1, 203) and is a good athlete. Probably more of a SS than a FS. College teammate Ogbonnia Okoronkwo will certainly be pulling for him.

3. Chucky Williams, S, Louisville
    Williams will also get his chance at safety. He is a particularly good prospect in kick coverage, which could provide a value-added element to his resume.

4. Ricky Jeune, WR, Georgia Tech
    If you are looking for a diamond in the rough, a GaTech (which still runs the wishbone) WR could be a good place to search. Jeune is a 6'3, 210 lb. physical receiver. Depending on how many WRs the Rams carry on their roster, he could have a shot.

5. Larry Rose, RB, New Mexico State
    Rose was initially signed by Tennessee, then waived and picked up by the Rams. While the RB position is very crowded, I like what he brings to the table. He ran a 4.42 at his pro day, and had 55 receptions last season. A longshot, no doubt, but worth watching.

Here's an interesting one:

Luiz Perez. I like his story and I like his potential. Combined with the fact that Brandon Allen is non-existent and Mannion's lackluster presence, Perez could very well have a chance to stick on with the team.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
      Which teams corralled the best undrafted free agents?
      MauiRam
      By Gil Brandt NFL.com

The moment the NFL draft ends, the race to sign undrafted free agents begins.

The undrafted college free agent has been a big part of the NFL since 1950. Fourteen of these players have gone on to become Hall of Famers and countless others have made significant contributions. Despite the exhaustive scouting done on college prospects leading up to the draft, there are players who slip through the cracks -- the NFL's diamonds in the rough.

The key is identifying players with a specific trait that leads to success at the NFL level. Most of these players lack a complete NFL-ready skill set, but they possess one or two characteristics that prove valuable on Sundays. This is a player like Cliff Harris, who went undrafted out of little-known Ouachita Baptist in 1970, but made six Pro Bowls due to his tremendous speed. Joe Jacoby wasn't great at Louisville, but had a valuable trait for offensive tackles: 35.5-inch arms. Jacoby made four Pro Bowls and won three Super Bowls over a 13-year career. And then there's John Randle, who lacked the size and pure speed of conventional defensive tackles in the NFL, but made up for it with unbelievable quickness and competitiveness. Randle hit double digits in sacks in nine different seasons, made seven Pro Bowls and earned a bust in Canton in 2010.

Through Monday, May 7, there were 459 undrafted free agents signed by NFL teams. The number of signees varies from team to team; this year, Atlanta had the most with 23, while New England had the least with four. Of these players, approximately 50-60 will be on an NFL roster for the first week of the 2012 season. (Fifty-nine made the cut in 2011.)

I have scouted every one of these players. Based on this knowledge, I've provided my top 11 undrafted free-agent hauls by teams this offseason. These rankings are not particularly predicated on the players' college production, but rather on specific traits that lead to production on the NFL level. Every undrafted free agent represents a calculated, low-risk gamble. These are the teams playing their cards best.

1) St. Louis Rams
      Key signees: Matt Daniels, S, Duke; Rodney McLeod, DB, Virginia; Scott Smith, DE, Texas Tech; Alex Hoffman-Ellis, LB, Washington State.

I especially like Daniels because of his intelligence and production as a four-year starter at Duke. He displays NFL-caliber speed and reaction skills as a safety. Although Duke isn't much of an NFL factory, Daniels showcased special talent in his collegiate career. McLeod played safety at Virginia, but can transition to corner due to his speed and quickness. Hoffman-Ellis has the unrelenting competitiveness to be a great special teamer in the pros.

2) Atlanta Falcons
      Key signees: Louis Nzegwu, DE/OLB, Wisconson; Micanor Regis, DT, Miami; Ray Kibble, DL, Kansas State.

All three of these players have special...
      -05-12-2012, 12:51 PM
    • sosa39rams
      Undrafted Rookies
      sosa39rams
      As of right now, the NFL coaches can have no contact with undrafted rookies. When we can here are the players I want to invite for visits.

Deandre Mcdaniel, S, Clemson
      Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College
      Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia
      Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
      Stephen Schilling, OG, Michigan

Thats all for now. I am just really surprised we left backup RB open again.
      -04-30-2011, 05:03 PM
    • MauiRam
      Meet the Rams Undrafted Free Agents ..
      MauiRam
      Tim Klutsarits, St. Louis Rams Examiner
      July 30, 2011

The St. Louis Rams added 24 undrafted free agents to the roster officially on Friday. While most of the names will be players you have never or barely heard of, there are players on this list who will most likely be on the roster come opening day. More importantly for the Rams is to see if some of these players might be good enough to make a difference now and in the future. Here is a quick rundown of each player and whether they will have a shot to make a difference in 2011 and beyond.

Offensive Line

Bryant Browning-Guard-Ohio State: If you want to root for someone to make the roster as an undrafted Free Agent this might be the guy. Browning is a three year starter at guard from Ohio State and was their captain. A high character guy who had hamstring issues during the Combine. He has had some problems with the pass rush though. Browning will have a shot at making the roster.

Tyler Donahue-Tackle-Bowling Green: Donahue was on a bad offensive line in college, but has the strength to give the NFL a shot. He is probably a long shot to even make the practice squad.

Kevin Hughes-Guard-SE Louisiana: Made the transition from guard to tackle in college and will be asked to try and play guard for the Rams. Clearly he has some versatility which could make him valuable for the Rams. With guard positions up for grabs he could have a shot of making the roster.

Randall Hunt-Tackle-Illinois: Started 23 games with the Illini and has very good size. More of a run blocker than a pass blocker. Will probably have a tough time making it onto the active roster.

Karri Kuuttila-Guard/Tackle-Lock Haven: Another offensive lineman who showed versatility during his college days playing both guard and tackle. At 6’6 he will be one of the bigger offensive lineman on the field.

Jacob McQuaide-Long Snapper-Ohio State: Bringing in a long snapper with Chris Massey on the team makes McQuaide nothing more than a “camp snapper.” A smart guy though. He is an aeronautical engineer major.

Beau Warren-Center-Virginia Tech: An Honorable Mention All-ACC Center who was the only senior on a Virginia Tech offense that was 14thrunning the football last season. Probably not much of a chance to make the Rams roster.

Defensive Line

Damario Ambrose-Defensive End-Arkansas: Only 32 tackles and 3.5 sacks last year for the Razorbacks. Appears to have versatility to play both the end and tackle positions on rushing downs. Low performance in college may or may not translate into the NFL.

Kenneth Charles-Defensive End-Stephen F. Austin: Keep an eye on Charles in training camp. Charles moved from defensive tackle to end before his senior year in college and he exploded into a dominant player. Charles had 16 sacks and 25 tackles for loss last season. If he can make that...
      -07-30-2011, 12:48 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Top 20 Undrafted Free Agents Not Loaded With Sudden Impact
      r8rh8rmike
      Top 20 undrafted free agents not loaded with sudden impact

By Gil Brandt NFL.com
      Senior Analyst
      July 21, 2011

The lockout has made this a difficult and trying offseason for college players who went undrafted. Rookie free agents are some of the players who benefit the most from the offseason team activities that take place in May and June. Because those didn't happen, it's unlikely an undrafted free agent this season will have the impact LeGarrette Blount had with the Buccaneers last season.

As you look over my list of the top 20 available UFAs, keep this in mind: The two positions that are the easiest to come in and play right away are running back and cornerback; the two most difficult are quarterback and wide receiver.

With running backs, the hardest thing they have to learn is blitz pick-up, but otherwise the learning curve is by far the easiest. With corners, the learning process is not as great as it is at other defensive positions. A guy who is athletic and knows how to break on the ball has the chance to play early.

It's difficult for receivers because of the multitude of coverages they see and the split-second decisions they have to make each down. And obviously, the learning curve for quarterbacks is extremely high. One thing going in their favor, however, is how much passing is dominating the game in college, so the transition is easier now than it was 10years ago, as Sam Bradford showed last season.

Here are the top 20 undrafted free agents who will be snatched up in short order:

1. Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware: Has size needed to succeed at the position, to go with accuracy and football intelligence.

2. Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College: His battle against cancer is well documented and speaks to his hunger to play. If healthy, he can play all downs.

3. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky: Has quickness and speed needed for success at running back.

4. DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson: Has all the traits needed to be a good safety.

5. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU: A former high school basketball player who is strong and smart and has traits that remind some of Colts veteran Jeff Saturday.

6. Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn: Oustanding speed and pass-catching ability. Makes a lot of plays.

7. Nick Bellore, LB, Central Michigan: Very competitive linebacker. One of the all-time top tacklers in the MAC. Great special teams player.

8. Willie Smith, OT, East Carolina: Smart offensive tackle with long arms and good athletic ability. Excellent pass blocker.

9. Ray Dominguez, G, Arkansas: Strong guard who has the chance to start for someone in his second year.

10. Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon: Needs to add weight but has the frame to do so. Very active.

11. Sealver Siliga, DT, Utah: Strong at the point...
      -07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
    • ramhard
      By one analysis will come down to Brown or Davis
      ramhard
      Kirwin gives the top 16 plus the 3 most likely to move up. With this analysis Rogers is gone (and given the high marks given his workout he will almost certainly be gone by 19, even if someone has to move up). From this view the top guys left will be Brown OT or Davis at S.

By Pat Kirwan
      NFL.com Senior Analyst

(March 19, 2005) -- The one area of the NFL that has always been a mystery to me is the top half of the first round of the draft. Why we pay these college athletes with absolutely no professional experience so much money before they ever prove they can play in this league is a big question that continues to go unanswered.
      There is no other league competing for their services. If they don't play in the NFL, then their football careers are virtually over. So why we pay them so much money at the expense of paying proven veterans doesn't make much sense. Be that as it may, it is what it is, and it is critical for the draft-eligible players to work their way into the top half of the first round where the real big money is waiting for them.

Basketball refers to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament for the final 16 teams left in search of the national title. In football, the road to the top 16 players is all about hitting a big personal payday. It begins with the position they play, their college production, their health and growth potential, the draft depth at that position, all-star game participation, the NFL Scouting Combine results, and their private workouts are all factored into making or breaking the top half of the first round.

At this point their is still some information to be gathered but it is realistic to say 90% of the data has been collected and the top 16 players are close to being separated from the rest of the draft population. In the next thirty days there may be some shifting around but I doubt no more than two or three of my top 16 will change. A number of these players will make one more visit to the club facilities in order for team officials to get one more chance to talk with the players and possibly break a tie in the final grade or two individuals. I have spent time with tie breaker situations before and it is amazing how much effect a day in a facility can have on an organization.

I have spoken with a number of coaches, personnel directors and scouts, and here's my first look at the top half of the first round. Next week I will add the bottom half of the round as more information and opinion comes in. I did speak with one GM of a top-10 team for over an hour the other day about two of these top 16 athletes. No stone will go unturned to complete the process, and still there's a 50-50 chance the player will be a bust in the next five years.

1. Alex Smith, QB, Utah: Say what you want about this draft class of quarterbacks as it compares to last year, but the truth is in six of the last seven drafts a quarterback was selected...
      -03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
    Working...
    X