X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN ranks two Rams groups among NFL's best position units for 2018

ESPN ranks two Rams groups among NFL's best position units for 2018

By: Cameron DaSilva | 8 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams got a taste of the playoffs in 2017 and after winning their first NFC West title since 2003, they want more. As aggressive as they were all season, they pushed even harder this offseason by acquiring Ndamukong Suh, Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Brandin Cooks.

In doing so, they’ve drastically improved their Super Bowl odds and look like one of the favorites to emerge from the NFC next season. After all, they do have one of the most complete rosters in all of football. In ESPN’s top position units heading into 2018, the Rams were well represented. They have two of the best groups in football, and were picked as a runner-up in another.

Let’s start with the defensive interior, where the Rams were picked as having the best group of players in the league.

The Rams decided that having one unstoppable force in the middle wasn’t enough, so they added Ndamukong Suh to pair with Aaron Donald. Donald led the league with 91 total pressures last season despite not playing in two games, while Suh had an overall PFF grade of 91.0 and the second-best run-defense grade (92.4) of any interior defender. Michael Brockers had a career year under Wade Phillips in 2017, earning an overall PFF grade of 83.1 and a run-defense score of 88.0, so this trio has the potential to make life miserable for any offensive line it faces. Suh’s presence should result in less attention toward Donald, freeing him up to wreak even more destruction on opposing blockers in one-on-one situations.

It’s hard to argue against this fact. Donald, Suh and Brockers combine to give the Rams one of the best trios at any position, wreaking havoc on opposing backfields each week. Add in Dominique Easley and Ethan Westbrooks and the Rams have an incredibly deep and talented defensive line.

Additionally, Los Angeles was picked as having the best special teams unit in the NFL. That should come as no surprise after they had three first-team All-Pros on special teams and sent four to the Pro Bowl. Johnny Hekker and Greg Zuerlein headline the unit, while Pharoh Cooper and long snapper Jake McQuaide are also valuable contributors.

Lastly, the Rams’ secondary was selected as a runner-up, only behind the Chargers.

The offseason additions of Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib give the Rams playmaking matchup weapons, while re-signing slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman and Lamarcus Joyner secured two important spots on the back end. Safety John Johnson III was the second-highest-graded rookie safety a year ago at 85.8 overall.

LOVE IT !!! Can't wait for the games to begin !!!

GO RAMS !!!

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Is this the full article? Cuz I don't see anything here about the Rams TE's.... ????

Comment

Having them there is going to take the Rams to the next level!
        Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Is it that long to football season? Seriously its not even preseason and the "experts" are saying X, Y, and Z about A, B, and C....

Hey like the next Ram's Fan I am hopeful and I want the Rams to make it all the way to the big game....but all too often these experts hype, over estimate and gin up expectations long before the first snap of the ball in a season...

No one has a solid lock on what the Rams will do on either side of the ball at this point, nor does anyone have an idea entire 53 makeup of the team--that doesn't take into account what the other teams in the NFC-W, who has had an entire off season to gear up for their meetings with the Rams and how their players match up with their schemes...

The only certainty I have about 2018 is the Rams can not scheme on offense as they had in 2017... 2017 was a play book of misdirection to execute simple plays---worked well for the bulk of the season but the Falcons and Vikings where not fooled --very well coached defenses with strong discipline match up to the 2017 Rams offense... Sometimes I wish the scheduling was left as a surprise to all teams but its not. You can bet each team is already looking at film of 2017 game film and guessing how each team will expand on their 2017.

A lot of the Rams 2017 success can be pinned on the fact the Rams had a new HC, and staff and that staff knew how to put together a team... 2018 will not be as much as a surprised unless McVay totally has re-engineered the 2017 playbook

So for now at least for me--its the summer blah without meaningful football... I like the ON PAPER roaster but to my mind there are a lot of to-does yet to be done

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
            Is it that long to football season? Seriously its not even preseason and the "experts" are saying X, Y, and Z about A, B, and C....

Hey like the next Ram's Fan I am hopeful and I want the Rams to make it all the way to the big game....but all too often these experts hype, over estimate and gin up expectations long before the first snap of the ball in a season...

No one has a solid lock on what the Rams will do on either side of the ball at this point, nor does anyone have an idea entire 53 makeup of the team--that doesn't take into account what the other teams in the NFC-W, who has had an entire off season to gear up for their meetings with the Rams and how their players match up with their schemes...

The only certainty I have about 2018 is the Rams can not scheme on offense as they had in 2017... 2017 was a play book of misdirection to execute simple plays---worked well for the bulk of the season but the Falcons and Vikings where not fooled --very well coached defenses with strong discipline match up to the 2017 Rams offense... Sometimes I wish the scheduling was left as a surprise to all teams but its not. You can bet each team is already looking at film of 2017 game film and guessing how each team will expand on their 2017.

A lot of the Rams 2017 success can be pinned on the fact the Rams had a new HC, and staff and that staff knew how to put together a team... 2018 will not be as much as a surprised unless McVay totally has re-engineered the 2017 playbook

So for now at least for me--its the summer blah without meaningful football... I like the ON PAPER roaster but to my mind there are a lot of to-does yet to be done
            It is nice to see the Rams mentioned (for positive reasons) by ESPN for a change. I also recognize your view that the Rams cannot rest on their laurels. That said, I doubt there is anyone more aware of that than Sean McVay. We have a moderate infusion of new talent on offense, and a good carryover from last year. I believe we can build on that.

Obviously for opposing teams to beat the Rams this year, they must outscore us. Scoring points on this year’s edition of Wade Philips D should not be easy. On paper, our D appears the ultimate “Tiger.” Will that translate to the field of play? I’d bet the odds are more for than against – we’ll see ..

Our special teams could really blossom this year. I’m hoping a few of our draft picks really shine on ST, thereby upping the ante from last year. I see no reason to doubt that “Bones” will orchestrate a fine tuned entity this year – much the same as he has in years past even when the rest of the team was far less than stellar.

Last year our D had trouble at times stopping the run. I am most interested this year to see how both defensive roster additions and subtractions pan out in run stoppage - one way or the other during regular season games.

Comment

Working...
            X