Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the number one thing that concerns you about the upcoming season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the number one thing that concerns you about the upcoming season?

    I have no idea how to post a poll. I do think, however, that it might be a good idea to de-escalate the tone of the current thread on why the site appears to be declining, and instead get back to talking about the actual team.

    The Rams have a very talented team. We are not deep on the offensive line and are thin at linebacker and edge rusher. We are certainly one of the teams that have a chance to win it all if things break our way and people play to their potential.

    So what concerns me the most? Luck with injuries. Last year the Rams starters missed the least games in the last seven years in the NFL. If we get banged up on the oline especially, goff and gurley are going to regress in my view. All the skill position players in the world dont help a ton if you dont have solid blocking up front.

    Said another way, what bothers me most is what the rams can't control, ie injuries. Will we stay super healthy, moderately, healthy or get really unlucky? As much as anything else, i think the injury factor will play a material role in how far we go this year. The fact that the eagles won the super bowl despite losing their all pro left tackle amd their starting qb during the year is really remarkable. I dont think the Rams can afford to lose whitworth among others.

    Ramming speed to all

    general counsel

  • #2
    I think you hit the nail on the head, GC. Injuries definitely concern me, especially to a couple of key positions...
    • Gurley: This offense runs through Todd Gurley, and if we lose him for any significant period of time, I think the offense will have trouble keeping up the pace.
    • Whitworth: The Rams have finally found a left tackle, albeit for the short term. He did an excellent job protecting Goff's blindside. While I like the long term upside of Noteboom, I think the Rams would be in trouble if Andrew went down and had to be replaced.
    • Starting DL: I think the Rams are fortunate that the ability of the front three to generate pressure on the quarterback will help (although not completely) mask any deficiency the team has in terms of its pass rush production from the linebacker spot. However, an injury to Donald, Suh, or Brockers would weaken the front seven and put the defense in a rough spot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Iím going to go with margin for error.

      With four other championship caliber teams in the NFC (Eagles, Saints, Vikings, Falcons), the Rams canít afford too many injuries or slips if they want to play in February.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by general counsel View Post
        I have no idea how to post a poll. I do think, however, that it might be a good idea to de-escalate the tone of the current thread on why the site appears to be declining, and instead get back to talking about the actual team.

        The Rams have a very talented team. We are not deep on the offensive line and are thin at linebacker and edge rusher. We are certainly one of the teams that have a chance to win it all if things break our way and people play to their potential.

        So what concerns me the most? Luck with injuries. Last year the Rams starters missed the least games in the last seven years in the NFL. If we get banged up on the oline especially, goff and gurley are going to regress in my view. All the skill position players in the world dont help a ton if you dont have solid blocking up front.

        Said another way, what bothers me most is what the rams can't control, ie injuries. Will we stay super healthy, moderately, healthy or get really unlucky? As much as anything else, i think the injury factor will play a material role in how far we go this year. The fact that the eagles won the super bowl despite losing their all pro left tackle amd their starting qb during the year is really remarkable. I dont think the Rams can afford to lose whitworth among others.

        Ramming speed to all

        general counsel
        I echo your sentiment on injuries. Hopefully our luck has not run out on the injury front, but there are definitely some key starters who we cannot afford to lose:

        1. Goff. I don't think Mannion would have a 2017 Nick Foles-type season if Goff went down due to injury.

        2. Gurley. Our offense thrived on successful play-action. Right now, we don't have a backup that brings the same type of dynamic playmaking ability that Gurley brings. Brown is solidly unremarkable and Kelly is unproven.

        3. Whitworth. I don't even know who our backup LT is. Darrell Williams? I hope to God it's not Williams. That guy is terrible. Noteboom? Unproven.


        It's funny how these 3 guys all happen to be on the offensive side of the ball. Hmm.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
          Iím going to go with margin for error.

          With four other championship caliber teams in the NFC (Eagles, Saints, Vikings, Falcons), the Rams canít afford too many injuries or slips if they want to play in February.
          This is a very good point. Of the Rams' eleven wins last year, four of them had a margin of less than seven points between the Rams and their opponents. Keeping composure and finishing close games will be key, because as you said, the NFC is too competitive right now, and too many slips could result in a fall.

          Comment


          • #6
            Simply put, my biggest worry is that the Rams will not live up to expectations. We've all watched enough sports to know that the most talented teams don't always win, and collecting "name" guys isn't an automatic ticket back to the playoffs. McVay, Phillips and company must take these parts and successfully mesh them together while making sure these guys remain focused and hungry.

            Comment


            • #7
              All good points thus far. Injuries, depth at key position, schedule, competition...all valid.

              i will add to the list, the locker room. Maybe it's nothing, but we brought in a lot of mercs who came from teams more than willing to part ways with them. Hopefully, Yoda Phillips can keep these guys in line, but I am concerned.
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                That Rams Fans won't have FUN and realize that it's now our time again. I'm concerned they are going to worry too much about things they just can't control, rather than relax and rejoice.



                Comment


                • #9
                  My biggest concern is still the O Line. I just don't think we have enough talent at the position to back up the starters.

                  __________________________________________________________
                  Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All good points so far. Mine would be: is the team capable of doing a better job of stopping the run this year? We got burned at crucial points last year and need to shut that down. Receivers too of course...I havenít slept at night since the days of Bruce, Holt and Prohel.
                    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

                    Jack Youngblood

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think the main thing that concerns me has been addressed quite a bit so far and that's concerns about depth on offense in the event of injuries. So for conversation's sake I will add another concern, albeit one that has been discussed quite a bit this offseason: the linebacker position.

                      I don't think that losing 3 of our 4 starters from last season is going to be that detrimental to the team, as they weren't a particularly strong unit anyway. However, Littleton, Longacre, Ebukam, Ramik Wilson, the rookies.... a ton of unknowns there heading into the season. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I'd be kinda shocked if there weren't some growing pains along the way. Hoping the D line can do enough so that run defense isn't quite the liability that it was last season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        On last seasons form, I think RB Todd Gurley's value to the team's offensive gameplan was no doubt extremely high. But in my mind, now the Rams have finally found a young franchise QB in Jared Goff. My biggest concern is an easy choice. Its an early season-ending injury to our QB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                          Simply put, my biggest worry is that the Rams will not live up to expectations. We've all watched enough sports to know that the most talented teams don't always win, and collecting "name" guys isn't an automatic ticket back to the playoffs. McVay, Phillips and company must take these parts and successfully mesh them together while making sure these guys remain focused and hungry.


                          This is my concern as well. It's been on my mind regularly of late. On paper, we look really good - improved over last year. That said, when the games that count start, will these shiny new roster additions live up to the hype? Will the Rams improve from being rather porous against the run to respectably solid? I wonder about that. Has Talib lost a step? I hope not. Mostly though I agree with others here who have voiced concern for our O-line depth. Injuries to any of our starters there could, and likely would hamstring our aspirations to another NFC West title.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll go with the consensus, injuries. The Rams have proven they have the personnel to beat any team, any time, and things have gotten better IMO, but if there are any injuries to key guys, I'd be worried.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Injuries are my concern also, particularly to the Oline ans Dline.

                              Comment

                              Loading...
                              Working...
                              X