Reminder About Posting Expectations Going Forward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminder About Posting Expectations Going Forward

A recent thread was created probing possible reasons for declining activity in the forum. While a number of options were discussed, many members within the topic expressed concerns about the impact of responses which they felt were snarky, condescending, and discouraging to healthy debate.

In an effort to address those concerns, RamsNation moderators would like to make sure everyone is on the same page in this regard.

We have worked collaboratively over the years to try and define a set of forum rules that we’re satisfied with, that encapsulates what we and what we think our members expect the discourse on RamsNation to be. The first of those rules refers to profanity and civility, including the following sentence: “We expect all Rams Nation members to be civil at all times, even in heated discussions.”

Individuals may have different interpretations of what constitutes civil behavior, so for the sake of consistency, we’ll reference the dictionary definition of “courteous and polite.” Personal shots at a poster, sarcasm that is meant to put another down, an intentionally condescending or patronizing tone, or responses that serve no purpose but to derail discussions do not constitute civil discourse.

We encourage debate, and understand that fans may become heated during debates by arguing passionately in support of their opinions. However, going forward, we want to reiterate our expectation that all of these discussions and debates still remain civil and polite to ensure that members feel that their opinions have been heard, not shut down.

RamsNation moderators will do our best to watch these discussions and act when we think the line has been crossed. As Dez has discussed, if we feel something has crossed the line, we will "soft delete" the post - temporarily putting removing it so we can discuss it as a group to determine if the post should be reinstated or fully deleted. We will do our best to communicate with you the reason behind any actions we take, and encourage you to use the Flag feature to bring any problems you see to our attention.

We appreciate your contributions to our board, and thank you for choosing to participate here at RamsNation!

We might want to remember that sarcasm does not usually translate well into print? In other words, as Sheldon might ask, "Was that sarcasm?"
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

ClanRam is a safe space so remember to check your privilege, avoid microaggressions, and try not to trigger others.

And yes...my use of millennial-speak is most definitely sarcastic.

Good luck to the Mods. You’ve taken on a potentially difficult task. Hope it works out for the site.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
        There is such thing as bad publicity (A note to some of our new members)
        AvengerRam_old
        NOTE: This is not a Rams topic, per se, but given my belief that this is an important message to our new members as we enter a new season, I'm exercising Moderator privilege and posting it here.

Andy Warhol reportedly once said, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Well, the otherwise unexplainable popularity of the Paris Hiltons of the world aside, I must respectfully disagree with that statement.

This is particularly true with respect to ClanRam (you'll see my point in a moment).

In my opinion, the thing that makes ClanRam the best Rams board on the Net is the fact that we have long-term members who use this site to form cyber-friendships, if you will, with other long-term members. Its a quality over quantity thing - we'd rather have a solid core of regulars than a huge roster of hit-and-run posters.

Sometimes, new posters are so eager to be noticed by the regulars that they go overboard in making themselves stand out. Just recently, we've had new members who have spammed the boards mercilessly, initiated smack battles and then claimed to be Ram fans, picked "fights" with Moderators or regular members, or engaged other disingenuous tactics designed for one purpose: to get noticed.

In the short run, such tactics do tend to get you noticed. However, contrary to Warhol's axiom, at ClanRam there most certainly is such a thing as bad publicity. Make no mistake - the Moderators and regular members will NOT allow this board to become a smack-filled, childish and superficial board like the defunct Rams site board or the PD board.

That does not mean that posters, including new posters, should avoid posts that are compelling, controversial, unpopular, unconventional or even mildly inflamatory. The key is that posts of that type should be made because you truly hold a belief that differs from the majority. If you are posting controversial content just because you want to get noticed, I can assure you that you are fooling nobody, and the attention you receive will be short lived.

So... as I don't want to end this on a negative note, let me say to all the new members that we are happy to have you here, and we look forward to getting to know you at the Clan continue's to grow.

Submitted as this one Mod's opinion...

AvengerRam
        -08-03-2006, 08:24 AM
      • RamDez
        Moderators and posting
        RamDez
        I should not need to do this but here goes.

Moderators are the policemen of the board.

As Moderators, they will remove posts without warning if they go over the boundry of the site rules, that we have had since the formation of the Clan. Please note that when a moderator deletes a post, other moderators can still see the deleted post.

As Moderators, they have the ability to suspend a member if they continue to break the rules, then all mods will concider the fate of the suspended member.

As Moderators, You might not agree with them but then thats your right, as is the right of every member, to agree or disagree as they see fit. But as this is an open forum, we ask that, one of their more important roles is to stimulate conversation. when you rebuke a conversation, you do so in a polite and conversational manner. There is no harm taking a minute to compose ones self before lambasting a poster in a clever and witty way. There is never an excuse for personal attacks. Lets keep it clean.

We have had to suspend very few members from this board other than the usual trolls that hit us every so often. Lets keep it that way

GO DEM RAMS
        -09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
      • txramsfan
        For the young crowd
        txramsfan
        We've noticed that we've had an influx of younger posters recently and thought that if we gave you guys your own area to post in and "cut your teeth" so to speak, that it may help when you venture out to the other areas.

Please feel free to talk about the Rams or anything else you wish (except politics and religion) and use this forum for your own growth ok?

Have fun....tx
        -06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
      • RamsFanSam
        Welcome - a message to our new members!
        RamsFanSam
        Every spring, we seem to have an influx of new members to our family. Since there are so many new people around here, I can't welcome each one individually, so I'm going to take a few minutes to officially welcome you to the Clan!

First off, I'm glad you found our home. As you can see, we're not confined to one location, we have members all over the world. In fact, the man who created this place is from Scotland. Our members live in the U.K., U.S.A., China, Australia, Hawaii, Japan...I believe we even have members who live in the Baltic regions. Since our membership is so varied, we have a very unique perspective of the Rams, football, and everything else. We even have members here who are fans of other teams and they have found the Clan to be a place they can feel at ease and enjoy.

Of course, to have such a great site like this, we have to have rules. When signing up, everyone agrees to follow these rules. Did you take the time to read them? Being the nice guy I am, I'll put them up in this thread so you can be sure to know our rules that helped us become what we are today, and break them down so I am sure you understand them. The link for the complete rules is HERE.

ClanRam Rules

1. There will be no profanity suffered in the ClanRam. That includes words that are misspelled to fool the forum automatic banned words. We expect a high level of civility in the ClanRam. If you can not be civil when posting during threads then your post will be removed without warning and no explanation will b e given. We expect all ClanRam members to be civil at all times, even in heated discussions. This rule is subject to the automated infraction system. Simply put, this means NO PROFANITY!!! Since we have posters from all over the world, we know that words used in some locations have different meanings than they do in another, so please think before posting. If in doubt...leave it out!

2. All smack will be moved to the smack forum. This rule is subject to the automated infraction system. The smack forum has been put to rest for the offseason, and may stay there permanently, depending on the Administrator's decision.

3. Post in the correct forum and the correct thread. Threads that are in the wrong forum will be moved without warning and no explanation will be given. Posts that are in the wrong thread (thread hyjacking) will be deleted without warning.This rule is subject to the automated infraction system.

4. Threads concerning Ex Ram players that are still active in the NFL must be posted in the General NFL Forum. Threads regarding RETIRED Ram players will be allowed in the ClanRam Talk forum.

5. If you need to talk to a ClanRam Moderator, please PM them. Do not start a thread in the forum. Any threads started in the forum will be deleted without warning and no explanation will be given. This rule is subject to the automated infraction system....
        -04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
      • RamsInfiniti
        What is going on here?
        RamsInfiniti
        That's the question I have to ask ...

ClanRam is EASILY the greatest Rams forum on the internets today. Take a minute, go visit some of the other forums out there, and it won't take you long to realize this ...

I have paid my dues, I do every year, and I am a premium member here. I love supporting this site. I have had my issues with some folks here, some prominent folks through the times, and despite that, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here ...

This board has great members, some very intelligent Rams fans, and I have loved discussing football with many of you from day one ...

But what in the world has happened to the quality of the posts here lately? I don't know if it is all the new members, if the newer members are afraid to express their opinions, or what it is. But I am seeing more one-liners than ever, more repeat posts and topics than ever, more one sided discussions that ever ...

It's seems to be a great time to be a Rams fan, but something just doesn't seem right around here. I cannot seem to pinpoint it, and maybe I am the only one, but I've found these forums very hard to read over the past couple of weeks. Maybe my comfort level is down because I am seeing so many new faces, but it seems like I am having to pick through alot of jibberish to find the posts that I really want to read and see ...

I am just wondering if it's only me, or if others are feeling the same way. During this great offseason, one of the best we've had in a decade, I would really like to be jumping for joy and sharing this with others, but for some reason something seems off ....

Hmmmm, I don't know, maybe I am just nuts ...
        -03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
      Working...
      X