Name the biggest bust in Rams draft history

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the biggest bust in Rams draft history

Might be fun to think about the all time busts in Rams draft history. Given my technological ignorance regarding posting a poll, i will throw out a few names for people to comment on.

Greg Robinson (awful for sure)
    Jason Smith (obviously a massive disaster)
    Lawrence Phillips (6th overall pick, we got rid of Bettis to make room for him, less than 2 years on rams, bust city)
    Mike Shad (23rd pick in 1986 draft, from Canada, zero productivity in a couple of years on the Rams)
    Terry Baker (my personal choice, he was the #1 overall pick in the 1963 draft, played for the Rams for three seasons before winding up in canada for a year and then leaving football completely. Classic Heisman trophy winner mount rushmore like bust). While i appreciate that most of us on the board never saw Baker play, perhaps RealRam can give us a summary of their impressions of watching him play for the Rams from 1963-65. Baker completed 12 passes TOTAL in his three years on the Rams, zero td's, 4 interceptions. Hard to see how you could be a bigger bust than that as a #1 overall pick, and thus my choice as the single biggest draft bust in Rams history.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

I don't know anything about Baker but the player that probably hurt the Rams the most long term has to be Jason Smith. If Smith would have worked out the pick used for Robinson could have been used somewhere else. We paid the price for Smith for a long time.

Comment

As far as being the least talented its LT Jason Smith. But I don't remember a more costly draft pick as QB Sam Bradford.

Comment

Excellent points on Smith, he would probably be a runner up choice for me. What really hurts about the Baker pick is that the Rams had taken Roman Gabriel with the 2nd pick in the first round of the 1962 draft, so what in the world were they doing picking another qb first overall the following year! We passed on three hall of famers (Dave Robinson, Bobby Bell and John Mackey) and countless other very good players to take Baker. Your point of the ripple effect on Smith is a really good one.

Another candidate at least for the list, if not the very top, would be Jimmy Kennedy. Another stiff. Probably Damione Lewis as well. Both busts where they were taken, neither as bad as Smith or Baker.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Good [?!?] names, for sure. -

Canada's shining OL Mike Schad (1st round pick by the Rams in '86 as you mentioned), actually played three years with us, probably being on the "Wait, let's see if he improves" list. Never did, i.e., for a selection that high. -But 'at least' my then 8 year old son got Schad's autograph just outside Anaheim stadium right after the Rams defeated the Lions in '88. Fortunately he also asked most of the rest of the team's autograph and picture that day and the next day at Rams Park.

Terry Baker, one good-grief name. You've pointed out his remarkable exploits. Three years in the NFL, all with the Rams, Baker managed ... achieved a 40% passer rating by among other things, throwing for a grand total of 154 yards. The Rams thus used him as a RB also, adding him to the aforementioned list. QB and RB, a rare attribute in the NFL - no wonder he won the Heisman.

Oh, and Terry also scored 2, that's two receiving TDs plus 1 rushing TD in a single game in 1965. Almost as good as Al Bundy's four TDs in one game at Polk High.

Baker migrated north to finish his pro football career in the CFL, an official one year stint with the Edmonton Eskimos. The once promising athlete is inducted in the Oregon Sports HOF and his famous Oregon State Beavers No. 11 jersey was retired.

'An amazing athlete ... a tremendous runner ... intelligent ... and an outstanding leader'.
          - SI, 1963

Click image for larger version  Name:	image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvault-cdn.si.com%2FSI_ISSUE_IMAGES%2FSports%2520Illustrated%2F1963%2F01%2F19630107%2FSports_Illustrated_42473_19630107-001-250.jpg&w=1100&q=85.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	821632

Yet another saga in the story of sports failures. Nonetheless, a good character and lawyer as well as businessman in his post football years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	terry%20baker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	821629Click image for larger version  Name:	95f11be3c36179c8eeb2c9c4e89aa1ae.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.7 KB ID:	821630

Click image for larger version  Name:	TerryBaker-oregon-state-1962-heisman-winners-who-were-nfl-busts-300x200.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	821631

==================================================

Will continue with 'More To Come' of the BBs in Rams draft picks.
          Last edited by RealRam; -06-30-2018, 09:51 PM. Reason: Tyop

Comment

Only a Third Round pick, but for "What were we thinking" picks, Eric Crouch stands out in my mind. For first rounders, I remember Elvis Peacock being a first class bust.

Comment

Lot of good options where we've screwed the pooch:
              1989 - Bill Hawkins
              2009 - Jason Smith
              1996 - Lawrence Phillips
              2000 - Trung Canidate
              2003 - Jimmy Kennedy
              2014 - Greg Robinson
              2013 - Tavon Austin
              2005 - Alex Barron
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I personally would probably choose Phillips.

Comment

Jeff Fisher.

But - as far as players are concerned, I have to go with Barron.
                  temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                  RAMS!

Comment

I have to go with Phillips. On top of everything, at RB, they could have had Eddie George (selected 8 picks later) who had a pretty nice career.

Comment

Gotta be Lawrence Phillips. He was a two sport bust - football AND life.

Comment

Yup, for the modern era am going with Philips. What a total waste of a human.

___________________________________________________________
                        Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Of course, the correct answer is the Pom-Pom Mom.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                            Lot of good options where we've screwed the pooch:
                            1989 - Bill Hawkins
                            2009 - Jason Smith
                            1996 - Lawrence Phillips
                            2000 - Trung Canidate
                            2003 - Jimmy Kennedy
                            2014 - Greg Robinson
                            2013 - Tavon Austin
                            2005 - Alex Barron
                            So much promise but really just did not know the mental game I take it.
                            Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
                              Gotta be Lawrence Phillips. He was a two sport bust - football AND life.
                              Agreed. A complete waste in so many ways. Not only was the 6th pick used to draft him, but Jerome Bettis was later traded on the same day to Pittsburgh. He was a deeply troubled man, with a life that was a very sad story. His picture on Wikipedia is a mug shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X