Question re Donald situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Donald situation

Does Minnesota's extension deal re it's defensive end Hunter complicate and/or raise the price of a deal with Donald?

My personal view on Donald is that money is likely not the issue. I think its about the opt out clause. I dont think Hunter's deal will impact the fact that Donald is going to be the highest paid defensive player of all time. The real question is whether the Rams believe that they can truly lock him up with the extension, rather than paying him a fortune guaranteed and taking all the injury and opt out risk if he decides he wants to go somewhere else in two or three years. I have no factual basis for that assertion, its simply logic to me. Money can be handled, the opt out clause is a monster complication and that was reported as a hang up last year.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
      My personal view on Donald is that money is likely not the issue. I think its about the opt out clause. I dont think Hunter's deal will impact the fact that Donald is going to be the highest paid defensive player of all time. The real question is whether the Rams believe that they can truly lock him up with the extension, rather than paying him a fortune guaranteed and taking all the injury and opt out risk if he decides he wants to go somewhere else in two or three years. I have no factual basis for that assertion, its simply logic to me. Money can be handled, the opt out clause is a monster complication and that was reported as a hang up last year.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
      OK, thanks. But if the opt out clause is the sticking point, it's difficult to understand what McVay and Demoff mean when they say discussions are ongoing and going well and moving toward resolution, etc. Seems like a yes or no type of issue, with the Rams saying no. I guess we'll eventually find out.

Comment

I highly doubt the Rams would say anything at all other than positive stuff. Maybe their point is they are closer than ever on the money. Negotiating in public is a losing proposition for both sides, and the fact that neither side is taking shots at the other is a positive sign from my perspective. Of course, that may well be wishful thinking, we are all trying to see the glass half full here. Everyone on this board and Rams fans everywhere will likely feel a lot better once this is all done and signed.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
          Does Minnesota's extension deal re it's defensive end Hunter complicate and/or raise the price of a deal with Donald?
          I don't think it does much for Donald's situation, to be honest. It's a good deal, but it's not even Top 5 among 4-3 defensive ends, let alone defensive players as a whole. It's the kind of deal someone like Seattle's Frank Clark will likely look towards in terms of getting his own extension, but Donald is light years above this contract so it likely has little to no impact on negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

I don't think it does much for Donald's situation, to be honest. It's a good deal, but it's not even Top 5 among 4-3 defensive ends, let alone defensive players as a whole. It's the kind of deal someone like Seattle's Frank Clark will likely look towards in terms of getting his own extension, but Donald is light years above this contract so it likely has little to no impact on negotiations.
            OK, thanks. That's what I was wondering: where the Hunter deal ranked for that position. If it's not top 5, then it shouldn't impact, as Donald is clearly top 3, if not 1. Man, Donald's numbers are going to be huge.

Comment

Working...
            X