Name the biggest draft steal in Rams history

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the biggest draft steal in Rams history

To bookend GC's "draft bust" thread, name the biggest draft steal in Rams history.

There's one name that jumps out at me, but for sake of conversation, I'll save that for later.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Deacon Jones, 14th (!) round

Comment

Correct for sure Nick. Pick #186.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

1951 draft, round 19, pick 228, rams select defensive lineman andy robustelli, who goes on to play a key role in the 1951 title team. Had five great years for the rams as a star and then 8 great years for the giants. Hall of famer. Deacon Jones is still the correct answer to the question, but Robustelli bears mentioning as well.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I don't think you could top Jones, but an Honorable Mention goes to Kevin Greene (5th round).

Comment

Yea, Deacon was the obvious one to me. Hard to believe 185 players were selected ahead of him. Kevin Greene in the 5th is a good second choice.

On another point......if his career continues as is, does Aaron Donald count as a "steal"? The fact that 12 players (including one pick of our own) went ahead of him is kind of crazy.

Comment

Hall of Famer and two-time champion Norm Van Brocklin was drafted in the fourth round. He dropped because some thought he would spend an extra year in college. I'll agree that Deacon Jones was the greatest steal, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboyhater View Post

... I'll agree that Deacon Jones was the greatest steal, though.

Exactly. Not only in Rams history but one of the greatest steals in the annals of the NFL.

Below, 4.5 min. video with overly well-known images of Deacon's career and life. For older fans it almost becomes monotonous due to repetition and that glamorized trace of hype.

But certainly never overrated.

Last edited by RealRam; -06-30-2018, 10:58 PM. Reason: Format

Comment

Terry Crews!

Comment

Originally posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
                    Terry Crews!
                    Cheeseburger Eddie was a heck of a steal.

Comment

Deacon was a steal, does Kurt Warner count? Big steal as he was not even drafted....

Comment

Working...
                      X