Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Rams make the wrong pick when they drafted Torry Holt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Rams make the wrong pick when they drafted Torry Holt?

Torry Holt had a sensational Rams career. No knock on him. However, i have always believed that the Rams made the wrong pick in that spot. Holt was pick #6. Pick #7 in the 1999 draft was Champ Bailey, who had as good a career as Holt at what i would say is a tougher position to replace (especially for a team that already had Isaac Bruce).

Let's discuss!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

The Rams selected a CB - Dre Bly - in the second round, so if their goal was to end up with a WR and a CB with their first two picks, they could have selected Holt/Bly or Bailey and Donald Driver (who was the most productive WR taken after the first round). Of course, Driver was a sleeper who outplayed his draft status (7th round pick), so there's no guarantee that the Rams would have taken him.

Given all that, and considering how exceptional Holt was for several years, I think the Rams made the right call.

Comment

Hard to second guess a guy who was as productive as Holt and a quality individual to boot. And the fact we didn't have a quality WR for any length of time after Holt retired should perfectly illustrate why drafting him should be validated- despite Champ Bailey's impressive career.

Comment

Really don't see the need to second guess - considering how well things worked out. Be thankful !!

Besides, had the Rams drafted Champ, I'm sure lovie smith would have determined that Champ was not cut out to be a cover 2 corner. Just as he determined London Fletcher was not cut out to be a cover 2 Mike. It would be goodbye Champ just as it was goodbye London.

Comment

NO WAY. Even as a rookie, I always remember the amount of energy Holt brought to the offense. Even as a rookie, Holt was the teams RAH RAH guy and extremely instrumental in leading us to our SuperBowl win.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
            Hard to second guess a guy who was as productive as Holt and a quality individual to boot. And the fact we didn't have a quality WR for any length of time after Holt retired should perfectly illustrate why drafting him should be validated- despite Champ Bailey's impressive career.
            Succinct - spot on!!

Comment

I'm not sure there was a GSOT without Holt. He was the perfect counterpart to Ike, and a vital piece of the puzzle on offense.

Comment

There may well have not been as good an offense, gsot or otherwise without holt, but i think we might have been a better overall team with an absolute stop corner for 10 years. All good points by everyone on the thread, but i think some people might be underestimating how great champ bailey was an how many problems we had with that position for so long, especially after todd lyght dropped off the face of the earth on us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I don't think Torry was the guy who made that offense go, and we still would have won if we had picked Champ. But, I don't think picking Champ wins us more games/championships on his own because our later problems started higher up in the food chain imo

Comment

Working...
                  X