Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling a lot better... but the wound's not fully healed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a lot better... but the wound's not fully healed.

I think its fair to say that on the spectrum of pessimist to optimist, I'm pretty close to the optimism side.

Nonetheless, I was not, and am not, immune to the impact of a period of over a decade of ineptitude and disappointment.

In the midst of this dark period, I always managed to find some hope before each season began. But as my hopes were dashed by October each year, it became more and more difficult to convince myself that things were going to change.

Then... like a bolt from the blue... 2017 happened.

A new, innovative head coach. Our intended "Franchise QB" living up to his moniker. The resurrection of Todd Gurley. It all came together in a season to remember.

Hope was renewed.

Then... to bolster those feelings, the Rams went ahead and blew the doors off the offseason. Three new defensive starters - all Pro Bowl players. A young, exciting WR. The hype train has now left the station and is barreling down the tracks.

So you would think and optimist like me is ready to yell "Super Bowl or bust!"

Not exactly. To be perfectly honest, I feel a bit of unease. A nagging disbelief that this Rams team will be the type of perennial contender that will make us forget the Linehan, Haslett, Spagnuolo and Fisher era.

This is the unhealed wound. I'm like a player coming off an ACL repair. The doctors tell me that my body is sound, but my mind has not yet caught up.

I'm not sure what it will take to fully heal. Another 10 wins? A playoff victory? A Super Bowl?

I'm filled with hope for 2018... but I'm still a little bit worried.

And if I, of all people, am feeling that way... I suspect I'm not alone.

I am filled with hope too, but for me, the past is over and the past cannot be held against the present because the present is all new and very promising.

Last year was promising, but expectations were unproven. But as you said, this year is different given the great 2017 season.

There are no guarantees that 2018 will be the success we think and hope it should be. The spectre of injuries is part of that.

It's refreshing for me to have high expectations for the Rams and no matter what the team faces in 2018, we have the coaching and the players to pull us through.

Comment

1967 to 1989. The golden, or golden-yellow shall we say, era for the Rams. In that 23 season span, which covers the starting point for several fans around here, the Rams were a playoff team in 16 seasons. We truly were a perennial playoff team. Then.....the 90's; a 9 season hiccup until a return (or at least what we thought was a return) to greatness....the GSOT. But rather than being back on the 70's and 80's track, we simply caught lightening in a bottle for a few years. So the next generation no longer views the GSOT as a continuation of the previous decades, but rather a small oasis in a 27 year desert. Only 4 winning seasons in that span. Until last year.

So now we question, who are we? A team that is returning to greatness? Or just another small shade tree in a continuing desert?
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I fall somewhere in the middle of the optimist/pessimist spectrum with a small bias to the optimist side.

I too still have my doubts on this team, but I think I can say that I am 90% on board with the McDynasty.

I would be much more worried if I felt that our winning season last year was mostly luck. If Fisher was still the coach and our roster was mostly the same as the 2012-2016 rosters and we just happened to have a winning season in 2017, I would feel it was a fluke. However, I believe McVay has a long-term plan in mind and I think this is very sustainable.

We have the pieces in place. Now we just need to not screw anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
          I believe McVay has a long-term plan in mind and I think this is very sustainable.

We have the pieces in place. Now we just need to not screw anything up.
          I hope you're right. However, I'm not convinced this is sustainable yet. We've traded draft picks for guys that need signed in the next 1-2 years and have an O-Line that is ancient (in football years). I think we'll be good for the next 1-2 years, but I'm afraid we'll have to let too many people walk and won't have young guys to fill their shoes in the next 3-5 years. I honestly think we're in a "win now" scenario to build hype for the new stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post

I hope you're right. However, I'm not convinced this is sustainable yet. We've traded draft picks for guys that need signed in the next 1-2 years and have an O-Line that is ancient (in football years). I think we'll be good for the next 1-2 years, but I'm afraid we'll have to let too many people walk and won't have young guys to fill their shoes in the next 3-5 years. I honestly think we're in a "win now" scenario to build hype for the new stadium.
            I think the sustainability question comes down to the front office.

From an age standpoint, we're in good shape. The only key players who are likely on their last legs are Whitworth, John Sullivan and, perhaps, Aqib Talib

Contracts are another issue altogether. We obviously have a lot of work to do to keep the band together. The key to prolonged success, as the Patriots in particular have shown, is choosing the right guys to retain, and letting those who can be replaced go rather than overpaying.

Comment

It's okay to feel a little gunshy after you've had your heart broken AV. I'm here to let you know, It's okay to love again.

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
                It's okay to feel a little gunshy after you've had your heart broken AV. I'm here to let you know, It's okay to love again.

Comment

Barring injury I think this offense is going to steam right into the regular season with a lot of momentum - and that gives me more hope than I've had as a Rams fan since... maybe when we drafted Bradford? The contract situations have me wondering about long term sustainability, though, because I don't think we can continue winning if we keep trading picks for one and done players.

Comment

Maybe some more of this - whether generic, name brand or even placebo - will serve as therapeutic relief and visions of hope. I try to take minimum dosages just to stay alert, to avoid drowsiness or other side effects, such as deceitful facts.

Talk to your doctor to see if a 2017 Rams highlights regimen is right for you. Use of a Rams uniform item, even a helmet, is strongly recommended. Use only as directed.

Watch on YT.

GO RAMS! -

Last edited by RealRam; -07-04-2018, 03:51 AM. Reason: Format

Comment

Some might view me as a bit more of a pessimist than an optimist when it comes to Rams football, but I would argue I consider myself a realist. Any expressions of pessimism have been the well-deserved byproduct of 9 horrendous years in the 1990s and a stretch from 2003 until last season of terrible football. You reap what you sew.

Last year was the first truly enjoyable experience for Rams fans that could be sustained for any length of time in 14 years. I'd say it's very understandable how one might give pause or approach this season- one in which there are great expectations- with apprehension.

On paper, we have our best team in years, helped by a rejuvenated RB, a QB who has lived up to expectations and a slew of high profile new acquisitions. We have a bright young coach who is hard working, offensively progressive and displays a maturity beyond his years. We have a well-traveled yet no less respected veteran defensive coordinator and a state-of-the-art stadium on the horizon. The pieces are there. But with success comes higher expectations. The bar is now raised.

We all know, however that "good on paper" and "good on the field" are two different animals. Injuries and circumstance can derail a football team much easier than in the other high profile sports. And if nonsense like idiot Jamon Brown's suspension becomes the norm for this football team, you can throw all the good feelings and prognostications of excellence.

I am very happy we appear to have a solid plan in place for sustained success and very much look forward to the season. I'm also hopeful we can be a solid playoff team and challenge for a trip to the NFC Title game. That said, however, past failures still have me very much on guard, and it will take more than one good season to diminish not-so-distant memories of a different kind.

Comment

Frankly, I don't think it's helpful to be giving rein to and expressing your feelings of "unease" and "nagging disbelief", at this point in the annual journey.
                        I believe part of the formula for a sports teams' success is the entire field of energy created by the ownership, management, coaches, players, fans. The whole league is full of smart, experienced business people and coaches, and supremely talented athletes. The energy and intangibles are a key element of success. So, I encourage you to "get your mind right", and be as positive as you can be, at least heading into a season like the upcoming, where we have a solid objective basis for optimism.

Of course, I'd love for the Rams to be the story of the league this year, crush it, and win the SB. But I've been following this team's story for 50 years or so, and I take the long view. To me, this franchise has only recently emerged from a long, sad and confused era that began with the death of Carol Rosenbloom, and Georgia Frontiere's inheritance of the team. To make a long story short, even though we had intermittent success during this era, the franchise simply hasn't had the kind of ownership, management and sustained coaching excellence needed to compete at the top of the league on a regular basis. Think what you like about Stan Kroenke. But since he assumed the majority ownership interest after Georgia's passing and the unfortunate transition ownership by her children, he has proceeded with vision and purpose to rebuild the Rams' organization to the premier level. With all respect to the good fans of St. Louis, that stadium was awful, and elite players were simply not attracted by the locale or the franchise. Now, we have a true sports franchise owner, a competent front office that continues to grow and mature with experience, a very talented and young head coach, an excellent coaching staff, a roster full of talented young players, and a fabulous stadium being constructed in a city that attracts elite players.

You know how this league works. Two steps forward, one step back. All the breaks and success one year, and none the next. But the important thing to me is that Kroenke is positioning this franchise to be competitive on an ongoing basis for years. And one of those years, the stars will align for us. Our part in this is to provide good fan support and energy. Despairing about the upcoming season in July doesn't help anything.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• NJ Ramsfan1
                          Can't Wait for Next Season
                          NJ Ramsfan1
                          As I type, I remember with full clarity how I felt exactly one year ago: Disappointed, disenchanted and more than a little pissed. We had just finished a 2-14 season. After a brief glimpse of hope from the previous year, we reverted to form. Eight non-winning seasons in a row. And although at 7-8-1, we still failed to break that .500 mark, the mood is very different. No longer am I too disgusted to wear a Rams jersey. No longer do I feel a sense of hopelessness. And no longer is this team a laughingstock.

We have some players in place to be a real good team next year. What's more, we're in position to add significant pieces thru the draft with the RGIII deal. We have a coaching staff in place that's first rate. We have an owner who is not afraid to spend or do what needs to be done to help us be successful. We have good, young talent. And while upgrades are needed at multiple spots, the product is so much better from 2012. It's fun to be a Rams fan again.

No fan is expected to celebrate losing. But to not be proud of this team for what they acheived this season on the heels of such futility is to be completely unfair. And the way they went up to Seattle today- with really nothing to play for but pride- and hang with them for the entire game shows you the grit and determination in these guys that's been instilled by Fisher. The game was a lot closer than many of us, me included, thought it would be. It illustrates what good coaching can do.

With improvement comes greater expectations. And I have no doubt the Rams are on their way to giving all of us long suffering fans some playoff appearances very soon.
                          -12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
                        • RamsInfiniti
                          Is it all just a dream?
                          RamsInfiniti
                          Is it not an amazing time around here? If it's not, I just really don't know what to say ...

Of course, the proudest moment in Ram's history, or at least I would think so, for just about every fan was the Super Bowl victory. What an unbelievable season that was. It took months for all that to truly set in after it was done. The feeling was just crazy ...

Believe it or not, I am feeling the same kind of thing today. Geez, what a long two years it has been. After Linehan's first season, I really had a sense of optimism, it really looked like this thing was turning around. Then it all came crashing down ...

I feel lucky to have found this forum, because here in Alabama, I really don't have anybody to turn to when it comes to talking Ram's football. There just aren't many Rams fans here. Of course, there were plenty when we won the Super Bowl, but they all quickly dissapeared when it went downhill ....

Two years of misery, two years of suffering, all gone ...

Insert Jim Haslett, and here we are. All it took was two games, but its amazing what has happened. The Rams are playing different. The tune has changed in the Lou. The fans are hungry again. We, the members of the Clan, are excited and energized. It is really a crazy time ...

Other than the Super Bowl victory, I cannot really remember ever being this excited about Ram's football. And we are 2-4! So why all the excitement? There is just something in the air. I cannot pinpoint what it is, but I feel there just "MIGHT" be something special here. You look at our roster from top to bottom, and there is plenty of talent. There was plenty of talent last year, but the injuries just destroyed any shot we had. Now what? Maybe we should look at it as 2-0. Maybe I should be a little more pessimistic, but what do any of us have to lose?

Going into the Redskins game, I didn't know what to think. New coach, but maybe the same ole Rams? Boy, did that change in a hurry. The attitude of the team changed, and finally, they believed they could win. Then after destorying the Cowgirls last week, it seems everyone is starting to believe. But is it real?

I'm getting that feeling again that we can beat anybody, and maybe it's a little too soon, but look at the Patriots game this week. They are not better than Washington, and I don't really know how they compare to Dallas, but not only do I think we can win this game, I think we are going to win this game. I think the roll we are on is too much for the Pats to handle ...

Maybe I am nuts, and I am sure some of you already think that anyway, but there just might be something special brewing here, a real story, a feel good story, and maybe a real life second chance for Jim Haslett to redeem himself, to reaccount for himself after being shafted despite giving it everything he had during Katrina ...

-10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
                        • viper
                          Alas..the sky is falling once again
                          viper
                          It never ceases to amaze me, how quickly my fellow Ram's fans will turn on thier team, their players and their coach. The clouds of "doom and gloom" lye low above the legion once again. Again the naysayers have their day, to lay their spew upon the feet of the horns.

Ohhhh no, we've lost to the lowly dirty birds, Ohhh no, we've lost 6 out of the last 7 games, Ohh no, our captain has spoke out to the media about a few of his undisciplined guardians, possibly upsetting a few teammates, Oh no, our coach won't take responsibility and demand accountability from his youthful squires on the front lines, let alone the team as a whole.

Granted, the legion has seen better days. But, why is it that the masses choose to dwell on the "darker side" of things rather the hope of a brighter day to come. Is there not a chance, a hope that a brighter day shall dawn as a result of the upcoming offseason. This season is lost, no doubt. Who can say that this was not a distinct possibility, considering that we would be brandishing a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, new offensive and defensive schemes, new free agents, untested rookies and a decimated offensive line. Add to that a previously dysfunctional run defense, pass defense and special teams for the last several years and what do you get? The "2006 St. Louis Rams!" Hooray! We got exactly what we "should have" expected. Or at least considered the possibility that it could be a tough year. Well guess what, it has turned out to be a "tough year." A downright bleak season.

But, ya know what, believe it or not, there has been improvement over last year. Our special teams have improved significantly in punting, coverage and returns. Our defense, is doing better in the turnover battle, our pass defense is improved and as hard as it may be to believe we do seem to be better at keeping opponents from scoring on us as much.

Its easy to throw fuel on the fire proclaiming how terrible things are when the going gets tough. The question is where are you when your team needs your support? Anybody can belittle a losing team...and their is no question we are losing right now. But, in doing so, are you any better than the opposing team's fans that come to diss on your team. I haven't seen too many "positive" threads lately about our team that make me feel like this is the Rams home.

I, personally, have unwavering faith in the positve attributes of the Rams! I choose not to wallow in the ever increasing muck and mire that seems to be prevalent around here lately. I agree that we are not where we want to be...far from it. But, I'm not going to participate in any "hanging" or "slop" parties or anything of the like.

Why can't we focus on the good things about our team or future prospects. Maybe that means a higher draft pick next year or a few well scouted free...
                          -12-05-2006, 11:53 PM
                        • MauiRam
                          Are There Reasons for Optimism Regarding the Rams Improving Dramatically This Year?
                          MauiRam
                          I believe the answer is yes, and I've listed a few for openers ...

1) First and foremost we have a young energetic coach who is an offensive specialist. It may be his first rodeo as a HC, but I think itís fair to say he has had some success as an OC at the NFL level. This in itself is a big upgrade over last yearís offensive game planning.

I donít know what percentage of improvement we can expect from coaching alone, but it is not unreasonable to believe there will be improvement. (Percentage of improvement due to better coaching might make an interesting poll in itself.)

2) If McVay as touted, designs his offensive strategies on both the strengths and weaknesses of his particular players, I think we may be pleasantly surprised. There has been a great deal of discussion here about our O-line. We have upgraded two very important positions on that line Ė left tackle, and center Ė that will help. (Yes, injuries could derail those upgrades, but letís not downplay the upgrades over what ifs.)

3) I believe McVay will design passing plays that are largely predicated on the ball coming out of the Qbís hand in 2 -2.5 seconds. The keys will be creating personnel mismatches, number one, and number two, the receivers exploiting those mismatches by actually catching and holding on to the ball. Sounds simple right? Gone are Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, and Lance Kendricks. Enter Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, and Spruce, not to mention our TEs. In particular, Woods, Kupp and yes Spruce should provide more reliability when it comes to completions. Oh, and then there is Austin. The last regime couldn't find a way to utilize his talent consistently. Given what I've seen of McVay, he'll certainly give Tavon opportunities to shine - or not. If it ends up being "not," this will be Tavon's last season wearing horns. I'm rooting for "shine."

4) Weíve gone back and forth here regarding Gurley - will he or wonít he Ė rebound this year? I donít pretend to know the outcome, but I am more optimistic than pessimistic that Gurley will have a better year. It is possible that McVay will try to use the passing game to set up the run. We have already tried it the other way around under Fish, with less than stellar results, and thatís being charitable.

5) Last but not least, McVay was able to hire Wade P., which should be the frosting on the cake. I expect our D to be solid thereby allowing Sean to focus on fine tuning the O.

6) One last thing: Stan Kroenke. Many here give voice to the perception that Stan only cares about the money, and doesnít care about winning. Stan moved the team, and making more money was definitely at the core of the move. This is America Ė a capitalist nation. So please, letís not beat Stan up for a no brainer move business wise. That said, why wouldnít Stan want to win? He doesnít say much publicly, but the man has an ego just like the rest of us. Kroenke...
                          -06-25-2017, 02:31 PM
                        • Fat Pang
                          Don't look back and anger...........
                          Fat Pang
                          Forgive me while I start this little note with a mangling of the title of an Oasis song, it did seem to be appropriate however in light of some of the reaction that we've seen afer our recent disappointment. I have to say that I'm not particularly pleased right now and was even less pleased this morning. However, the distractions of a working day have taken their toll on me and the many others who share these forums and so I feel it's safe to maybe put an alternative spin on some of these things.

I'm not traditionally a patient man, not known for it anyway. I was prone to volcanic fits of rage on the football field on occasion, whether things were going my way or not. I'd earned the sobriquet of 'Mr Angry' by my second (Sophomore?) year of college and collected receptions despite my personality rather than because of it.

Age and common sense mellows you however, and I find myself greeting triumph and disaster much the same these days. I have been prone to the odd outburst on this forum and many others at times, and so I have a lot of sympathy for those whose mood has darkened somewhat of late.

What puzzles me in the wake of the first two games is the disparity of reaction as far as the D is concerned and the extraordinary lack of patience shown with the O. This has manifested itself as our current D (After ONE game) being hailed on these pages as one of the best Ram D's of all time (We had pretty good ones in the 70's.......and the 'Eagle' D of the late Fritz Shurmur in the late 80's routinely gave Montana a headache) and a lock for a top 5 position this season. As far as the O is concerned, we have seen our posse of top flight receivers being questioned, our Pro-Bowl MVP QB being questioned (Please don't return to the debate about his MVP award, the fact is he got there and was awarded it) and the playcalling of a man who is/was one of the most respected OC's in football.

All this on the strength of TWO games.

Not enough people, just not enough.

There are also people, whose opinion I respect, drawing comparisons between days past and days present.

Don't.

It'll only lead to disappointment in the long run. We were present when our team possessed the greatest offensive steamroller in football history. Others can debate it, but for me that's the position it has assumed. We were lucky, damn lucky, but the cost of maintaining that performance ultimately undermined our team, our past HC and our future as a dynasty.

It's also undermining the attempts of our latest HC to form his own identity. Or at least it will if we let it. Give him a break, it's the least he and the team deserve.

The pertinent fact for me is that this team has shown enough PROMISE in the first two games to signal that enough of the fundamentals are being observed football-wise for this team to be inherently stronger than it was last...
                          -09-18-2006, 04:10 AM
                        Working...
                        X