Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling a lot better... but the wound's not fully healed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a lot better... but the wound's not fully healed.

I think its fair to say that on the spectrum of pessimist to optimist, I'm pretty close to the optimism side.

Nonetheless, I was not, and am not, immune to the impact of a period of over a decade of ineptitude and disappointment.

In the midst of this dark period, I always managed to find some hope before each season began. But as my hopes were dashed by October each year, it became more and more difficult to convince myself that things were going to change.

Then... like a bolt from the blue... 2017 happened.

A new, innovative head coach. Our intended "Franchise QB" living up to his moniker. The resurrection of Todd Gurley. It all came together in a season to remember.

Hope was renewed.

Then... to bolster those feelings, the Rams went ahead and blew the doors off the offseason. Three new defensive starters - all Pro Bowl players. A young, exciting WR. The hype train has now left the station and is barreling down the tracks.

So you would think and optimist like me is ready to yell "Super Bowl or bust!"

Not exactly. To be perfectly honest, I feel a bit of unease. A nagging disbelief that this Rams team will be the type of perennial contender that will make us forget the Linehan, Haslett, Spagnuolo and Fisher era.

This is the unhealed wound. I'm like a player coming off an ACL repair. The doctors tell me that my body is sound, but my mind has not yet caught up.

I'm not sure what it will take to fully heal. Another 10 wins? A playoff victory? A Super Bowl?

I'm filled with hope for 2018... but I'm still a little bit worried.

And if I, of all people, am feeling that way... I suspect I'm not alone.

I am filled with hope too, but for me, the past is over and the past cannot be held against the present because the present is all new and very promising.

Last year was promising, but expectations were unproven. But as you said, this year is different given the great 2017 season.

There are no guarantees that 2018 will be the success we think and hope it should be. The spectre of injuries is part of that.

It's refreshing for me to have high expectations for the Rams and no matter what the team faces in 2018, we have the coaching and the players to pull us through.

Comment

1967 to 1989. The golden, or golden-yellow shall we say, era for the Rams. In that 23 season span, which covers the starting point for several fans around here, the Rams were a playoff team in 16 seasons. We truly were a perennial playoff team. Then.....the 90's; a 9 season hiccup until a return (or at least what we thought was a return) to greatness....the GSOT. But rather than being back on the 70's and 80's track, we simply caught lightening in a bottle for a few years. So the next generation no longer views the GSOT as a continuation of the previous decades, but rather a small oasis in a 27 year desert. Only 4 winning seasons in that span. Until last year.

So now we question, who are we? A team that is returning to greatness? Or just another small shade tree in a continuing desert?
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I fall somewhere in the middle of the optimist/pessimist spectrum with a small bias to the optimist side.

I too still have my doubts on this team, but I think I can say that I am 90% on board with the McDynasty.

I would be much more worried if I felt that our winning season last year was mostly luck. If Fisher was still the coach and our roster was mostly the same as the 2012-2016 rosters and we just happened to have a winning season in 2017, I would feel it was a fluke. However, I believe McVay has a long-term plan in mind and I think this is very sustainable.

We have the pieces in place. Now we just need to not screw anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
          I believe McVay has a long-term plan in mind and I think this is very sustainable.

We have the pieces in place. Now we just need to not screw anything up.
          I hope you're right. However, I'm not convinced this is sustainable yet. We've traded draft picks for guys that need signed in the next 1-2 years and have an O-Line that is ancient (in football years). I think we'll be good for the next 1-2 years, but I'm afraid we'll have to let too many people walk and won't have young guys to fill their shoes in the next 3-5 years. I honestly think we're in a "win now" scenario to build hype for the new stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post

I hope you're right. However, I'm not convinced this is sustainable yet. We've traded draft picks for guys that need signed in the next 1-2 years and have an O-Line that is ancient (in football years). I think we'll be good for the next 1-2 years, but I'm afraid we'll have to let too many people walk and won't have young guys to fill their shoes in the next 3-5 years. I honestly think we're in a "win now" scenario to build hype for the new stadium.
            I think the sustainability question comes down to the front office.

From an age standpoint, we're in good shape. The only key players who are likely on their last legs are Whitworth, John Sullivan and, perhaps, Aqib Talib

Contracts are another issue altogether. We obviously have a lot of work to do to keep the band together. The key to prolonged success, as the Patriots in particular have shown, is choosing the right guys to retain, and letting those who can be replaced go rather than overpaying.

Comment

It's okay to feel a little gunshy after you've had your heart broken AV. I'm here to let you know, It's okay to love again.

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
                It's okay to feel a little gunshy after you've had your heart broken AV. I'm here to let you know, It's okay to love again.

Comment

Barring injury I think this offense is going to steam right into the regular season with a lot of momentum - and that gives me more hope than I've had as a Rams fan since... maybe when we drafted Bradford? The contract situations have me wondering about long term sustainability, though, because I don't think we can continue winning if we keep trading picks for one and done players.

Comment

Maybe some more of this - whether generic, name brand or even placebo - will serve as therapeutic relief and visions of hope. I try to take minimum dosages just to stay alert, to avoid drowsiness or other side effects, such as deceitful facts.

Talk to your doctor to see if a 2017 Rams highlights regimen is right for you. Use of a Rams uniform item, even a helmet, is strongly recommended. Use only as directed.

Watch on YT.

GO RAMS! -

Last edited by RealRam; -07-04-2018, 02:51 AM. Reason: Format

Comment

Some might view me as a bit more of a pessimist than an optimist when it comes to Rams football, but I would argue I consider myself a realist. Any expressions of pessimism have been the well-deserved byproduct of 9 horrendous years in the 1990s and a stretch from 2003 until last season of terrible football. You reap what you sew.

Last year was the first truly enjoyable experience for Rams fans that could be sustained for any length of time in 14 years. I'd say it's very understandable how one might give pause or approach this season- one in which there are great expectations- with apprehension.

On paper, we have our best team in years, helped by a rejuvenated RB, a QB who has lived up to expectations and a slew of high profile new acquisitions. We have a bright young coach who is hard working, offensively progressive and displays a maturity beyond his years. We have a well-traveled yet no less respected veteran defensive coordinator and a state-of-the-art stadium on the horizon. The pieces are there. But with success comes higher expectations. The bar is now raised.

We all know, however that "good on paper" and "good on the field" are two different animals. Injuries and circumstance can derail a football team much easier than in the other high profile sports. And if nonsense like idiot Jamon Brown's suspension becomes the norm for this football team, you can throw all the good feelings and prognostications of excellence.

I am very happy we appear to have a solid plan in place for sustained success and very much look forward to the season. I'm also hopeful we can be a solid playoff team and challenge for a trip to the NFC Title game. That said, however, past failures still have me very much on guard, and it will take more than one good season to diminish not-so-distant memories of a different kind.

Comment

Frankly, I don't think it's helpful to be giving rein to and expressing your feelings of "unease" and "nagging disbelief", at this point in the annual journey.
                        I believe part of the formula for a sports teams' success is the entire field of energy created by the ownership, management, coaches, players, fans. The whole league is full of smart, experienced business people and coaches, and supremely talented athletes. The energy and intangibles are a key element of success. So, I encourage you to "get your mind right", and be as positive as you can be, at least heading into a season like the upcoming, where we have a solid objective basis for optimism.

Of course, I'd love for the Rams to be the story of the league this year, crush it, and win the SB. But I've been following this team's story for 50 years or so, and I take the long view. To me, this franchise has only recently emerged from a long, sad and confused era that began with the death of Carol Rosenbloom, and Georgia Frontiere's inheritance of the team. To make a long story short, even though we had intermittent success during this era, the franchise simply hasn't had the kind of ownership, management and sustained coaching excellence needed to compete at the top of the league on a regular basis. Think what you like about Stan Kroenke. But since he assumed the majority ownership interest after Georgia's passing and the unfortunate transition ownership by her children, he has proceeded with vision and purpose to rebuild the Rams' organization to the premier level. With all respect to the good fans of St. Louis, that stadium was awful, and elite players were simply not attracted by the locale or the franchise. Now, we have a true sports franchise owner, a competent front office that continues to grow and mature with experience, a very talented and young head coach, an excellent coaching staff, a roster full of talented young players, and a fabulous stadium being constructed in a city that attracts elite players.

You know how this league works. Two steps forward, one step back. All the breaks and success one year, and none the next. But the important thing to me is that Kroenke is positioning this franchise to be competitive on an ongoing basis for years. And one of those years, the stars will align for us. Our part in this is to provide good fan support and energy. Despairing about the upcoming season in July doesn't help anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X