Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will we be arguing about this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will we be arguing about this year?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Argument-Clinic-300x185.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	821752

With the Rams entering 2018 with a loaded roster and hope for a championship run, I have to wonder...

What will we argue about this year?

After all, ClanRam was built on arguments. Warnerites vs. Bulgerites... Fire Martz debates... SLOP proponents vs. opponents... Draft Bradford vs. Draft Suh (that one's pretty ironic now, isn't it?), etc., etc., etc...

So what will the big debate be in 2018?

Seems like the biggest one right now is the "who's to blame for Aaron Donald not receiving a new contract" debate. Other contract issues may likewise result in disagreement.

I'm thinking that things are most likely to get heated when (as is inevitable) the Rams stumble. As I'm not expecting a 16-0 campaign, its likely to happen at some point. My guess is that some will overreact (the "here we go again" type of comment), while others will be more like Kevin Bacon in Animal House ("Remain calm! All is well!").

Hopefully, things will go smoothly enough that there will be little need for these types of arguments.

I also hope that we don't experience the phenomenon in which success reduces activity on the board.

Guess we'll see in a couple of months.

I hope we argue over how soon we should substitute backups for starters after building up a big lead early on. One can dream right?

I am somewhat apprehensive about our D stumbling early out of the gate. We added two big name corners plus Suh. Even without Donald, expectations are going to be high. If Donald somehow suits up for the opener against the Raiders, and we were to get shredded by the run, there would be much gnashing of teeth/hand wringing and so on.

I do wonder about all the shiny new pieces on both sides of the ball translating into success on the field. Why? Because Iíve been kicked in the teeth as a Ram fan for so long, Iím trying to protect the few I have left. Conversely Iíll admit this year is the first time since GSOT era that deep down, I am expecting us to be good.

If all else fails, and the Rams prove to be really good & are winning, we can always argue over uniforms ...

Comment

It's gonna wind up being contract issues. Who to extend, who to let walk, how much to pay guys, why did we keep this guy, should have kept that guy, overpaid this guy, didn't offer enough to that guy, etc. Kevin Demoff has some work to do

Comment

I think the argument will be why we aren't utilizing our wide receivers.

Many of us grew used to seeing Bruce, Holt, and Faulk being consistent big-yardage targets for several years in a row, and when we see the 5-10 yard short gains, the passing attempts being set aside for a short run, or a stagnant offensive game plan, it gets us a little bit riled up...
        temp_4394_1467243487543_20
        RAMS!

Comment

Brandin Cooks might not agree with you - at least not for now. I just hope we don't end up arguing over why our D can't stop the run.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOrange View Post
            It's gonna wind up being contract issues. Who to extend, who to let walk, how much to pay guys, why did we keep this guy, should have kept that guy, overpaid this guy, didn't offer enough to that guy, etc. Kevin Demoff has some work to do
            I think you're exactly right. The contract issue starts in the FO but eventually creeps into the locker room as guys feel abused by not getting paid and those who deserve it can infect the upbeat attitude. The Rams were first in many NFL historical issues and paying a non-QB over $20 million may be the next one.

There is a huge war brewing as we approach the next CBA. The league and the owners are scared s***less about lawsuits over CTE and the players are pissed that there are huge TV deals fattening the owner's wallets while they are being underpaid in many instances while their careers are in danger of ending on any particular play.

Go Rams!

Comment

The key topic for debate this year will be the following: Are we better off losing a game right at the end of the season and before the playoffs to avoid the added pressure of trying to go undefeated and break the record set by the 1972 dolphins.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

If we're arguing about anything else besides run defense, it will mean it's an extremely successful season. Then again, it could also mean that there is nothing to discuss about the run D besides "it sucks!" and not much can be added. Here's hoping it's more along the lines of contracts and cap discussion instead.

Comment

We don't argue on this site and anyone who says we do is just plain wrong!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam
                    Has your opinion of Aaron Donald changed?
                    AvengerRam
                    Is his holdout negatively impacting your opinion of AD?
                    No. I blame the team.
                    0%
                    No. It's just business.
                    41.67%
                    A little. He must be demanding too much.
                    8.33%
                    A little. He should be paid, but this is the wrong approach.
                    22.92%
                    Yes. But I'll get over it when he's back on the field..
                    4.17%
                    Yes. I think he's being selfish.
                    10.42%
                    Yes. Trade him.
                    12.50%
                    -08-16-2017, 07:53 PM
                  • AvengerRam
                    Aaron Donald is not the guy I thought he was.
                    AvengerRam
                    I get that players have a right and a responsibility to maximize their earnings in the small window that the NFL gives them, but...

I never expected Aaron Donald to take things this far.

I (naively, it would seem) believed that he was too dedicated, loved the game too much, and was too reasonable a person to let things get to this point.

And, yes... I fully acknowledge that I don't know what is happening behind closed doors. Nonetheless, unless we're being completely misled, the Rams have expressed a willingness to give Donald a new contract (two years before they have to) worth enough money to set him up for life.

Maybe I'll check in later today and learn that he's finally decided to report, and all will be well.

Maybe we'll get word of a new deal soon and this will be in our rear-view mirror.

Right now, though... I'm pretty down on Donald.

I foolishly thought that he was above this sort of thing.

In the end, though... I'm a Rams fan. I will root for them every week. When (if?) Donald returns, I'll root for him too.

For now, though, he's nobody to me....
                    -09-05-2017, 08:05 AM
                  • AvengerRam
                    Aaron Donald has less than 48 hours of leverage
                    AvengerRam
                    Aaron Donald must report to camp by tomorrow or he will lose a year's credit in the CBA's free agency system. I'm presuming he won't do that, so I expect the holdout to be over soon.

That said, the issue won't be resolved if Donald merely reports to camp without a new contract.

Its hard to have an opinion regarding the situation, as nobody outside of Rams' Park and Donald's inner circle knows what has been offered and what has been demanded.

My opinion, though, is as follows...

IF the Rams are offering a "highest paid DT" contract, despite the fact that Donald is still under his rookie deal for two more years, and Donald is holding out for "highest paid player" money, I'd say Donald is the unreasonable one.

IF theRams aretrying to use Donald's rookie contract as leverage to lock him into a below market value contract, then I'd say the Rams were being unreasonable.

All that said, I really don't expect a long-term problem. Donald is too good a player to let go, and he's not the type of player I'd expect to drag his heels on the field while waiting for a new deal.

My prediction: he'll be signed by 5:00 tomorrow.
                    -08-07-2017, 08:19 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Busy Rams still have major to-do list this offseason
                    r8rh8rmike
                    Busy Rams still have major to-do list this offseason

By Gregg Rosenthal
                    Around The NFL Editor

No general manager had a busier, bolder spring than Rams general manager Les Snead. No decision maker has more work left to do in the coming months.

The Rams' trade tsunami resulted in a wave of incoming talent, diminishing salary cap space and only one long-term contract handed out, to little-known cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. The casual confidence Snead has in his coaching staff to assimilate all the team's new players is matched by his belief that he can make all the contractual puzzle pieces fit.

"We have plenty of space over the next two years to lock up these guys long term and have this core together, and that's the goal," Snead said at one of the Rams' seemingly daily press conferences earlier this month.

The Rams are in a unique position as one of the NFL's undeniable power teams, yet they also have one of the longest to-do lists still to complete this offseason. Below is a look at what they still want to get accomplished.

Rams' to-do list

1) Sign Aaron Donald: All signs indicated that Donald welcomed the addition of Ndamukong Suh to the Rams' formidable defensive line. That congenial attitude figures to disappear if Donald is forced to play for half as much money as Suh this season (as currently scheduled). Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, is more likely to be playing on a contract closer to the groundbreaking pact Suh signed in Miami back in 2015. Snead has said repeatedly he has "budgeted" an extension for Donald and said this week Donald should become the highest-paid defender in football. That's been easier said than finalized for a year now. It will be a complicated contract that will presumably push a lot of salary cap pain into the future because the Rams have virtually no space at the moment.

2) Re-sign Brandin Cooks or Lamarcus Joyner to extensions: The Rams have three standouts from the 2014 draft class in Donald, Cooks and Joyner. Donald and Cooks are set to play this season on the fifth-year options of their rookie deals, while Joyner was retained with the franchise tag for more money -- $11.29 million. The Rams would love to free up the use of the 2019 tag by signing at least two of the three players.

Cooks is the better bet to get a contract quickly, with NFL Network's Steve Wyche reporting that the Rams intend to sign him long term before the season. The Rams have until July 16 to sign Joyner to a long-term deal. A contract for either player would likely be backloaded to lower the cap hit for 2018 and push money into the future. That could become a trend for the team as it builds toward moving into its expensive new stadium in 2020.

3) Budget for Todd Gurley and Marcus Peters contracts: There is a general misconception that the Rams are in "win...
                    -04-11-2018, 01:44 PM
                  • macrammer
                    2017 Rams Prediction Thread
                    macrammer
                    Ok.......pre season is over, cuts have been made. Time for Clan predictions.

I find this year difficult to predict. The team is under new HC with all new systems. We have a major hold out and we have a very unproven QB with s rather suspect and thin OL We have IMO upgraded our receiver/TE corps.

I see the Rams hitting 7-9 this year. After last year, I see that as a good step forward to getting this organization back to respectability. I think McVay could be a good find but time will tell. Phillips is a key cog and we have some good players sprinkled around the roster, I see a vast improvement over the offensive offense of last year. My prediction of 7-9 is assuming Donald is out or does not really make much difference this year if he comes back. What do you guys think?
                    -09-02-2017, 03:17 PM
                  Working...
                  X