An Agent's Take on Donald/Rams Situation - Resetting the Non-QB Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Agent's Take on Donald/Rams Situation - Resetting the Non-QB Market

This snippet comes from a larger article (linked below) written by Joel Corry. He's a former sports agent who helped found Premier Sports & Entertainment, a sports management firm that represents professional athletes and coaches. Before his tenure at Premier, Joel worked for Management Plus Enterprises, which represented Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon and Ronnie Lott.

Resetting the non-QB market

It's been a foregone conclusion that Rams interior defensive lineman Aaron Donald and Raiders edge rusher Khalil Mack, who are scheduled to make $6.892 million and $13.846 million respectively this year on their fifth-year options, would eventually become charter members of the $20 million-per-year non-quarterback club. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie's timetable for a Mack extension has been the 2018 offseason ever since locking up quarterback Derek Carr long-term last summer. Les Snead, McKenzie's counterpart with the Rams, has called a new deal for Donald a major priority.

The Raiders and Rams having sticker shock is the likely impediment with deals for the 2014 first-round picks. A modest increase over the current non-quarterback standard, which is Broncos linebacker Von Miller at $19,083,333 per year and $70 million in overall guarantees, may not be enough to end the stalemates. The substantial growth in quarterback salaries over the last year with the non-quarterback market remaining stagnant is a stumbling block. It is my understanding that restoring the traditional financial relationship between the highest-paid quarterback and non-quarterback which has existed under the current CBA is an important consideration to the players' representatives. This would mean a contract averaging over $23 million per year with $85 million in guarantees where $65 million to $70 million is fully guaranteed at signing is needed in order to recreate the balance. Not surprisingly, there is reluctance to dramatically reset the non-quarterback market.

Both Mack and Donald skipped last month's mandatory minicamp. Their absences, especially Donald's, extending into training camp should be expected unless new deals are signed. Donald had a lengthy holdout last year, which lasted until the end of the preseason.
    Full article on numerous contract situations can be found here...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...ason-business/

As has been pointed out by others, contract management does not seem to be the FOís long suit presently. Everything points to the short-term rather than the long. Whether it be trades or free-agent acquisitions or franchise tags or seemingly confusing non-extensions, Iím not sure that the plan one sees isnít necessarily a myopic one.

Iím starting to lean towards believing that nothing is going to get done and that AD eventually will be franchised and the Rams will try to milk him for a couple of more years while others are playing on the cheap. Nothing at the moment inspires me to believe the FO truly has a sustainable long term game plan. I suppose if you feel you can win the SB today, who cares about tomorrow. Gumming up this short-term thinking however would be if AD actual holds out into the regular season and through. I guess we will see what we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too View Post
      As has been pointed out by others, contract management does not seem to be the FOís long suit presently. Everything points to the short-term rather than the long. Whether it be trades or free-agent acquisitions or franchise tags or seemingly confusing non-extensions, Iím not sure that the plan one sees isnít necessarily a myopic one.

Iím starting to lean towards believing that nothing is going to get done and that AD eventually will be franchised and the Rams will try to milk him for a couple of more years while others are playing on the cheap. Nothing at the moment inspires me to believe the FO truly has a sustainable long term game plan. I suppose if you feel you can win the SB today, who cares about tomorrow. Gumming up this short-term thinking however would be if AD actual holds out into the regular season and through. I guess we will see what we will see.
      Your arguments actually point to a conclusion different than the one you make. If anything, by not locking AD up to a huge mega contract, the FO is absolutely looking at the long term. They are in fact, trying not to overpay and thus mortgage the distant future by locking AD up to huge guarantees that will hamper their contract management years down the road. If they didn't care about the long term as you suggest, then they'd actually be much more willing to sign AD to the huge deal and move on.

Comment

The absence of a contract for AD at this time does not provide proof that there is a lack of a sustainable long term plan.
        Sorry but AD is an undersized DT who's success hinges on his speed. Not signing him to the wealthiest contract for non-QBs may actually be a very smart plan. Anyone can spend money without a long term plan - look at the Redskins and the signing of Hanesworth.

Edit: woops - sort of a repost from KoaKoi

Comment

I suppose you both have a point if you equate fiscal restraint with long-term success. Iím not sure that holds true though. But Iíll readily concede inking a mega-deal isnít a guarantee of long-term success either. Personally, I wouldnít break the bank for a DT Ė even a difference-maker like AD. Iíd franchise him and move on if he wants to. Whether the way the FO manages this is characterized as short-sighted or visionary, I think Iíll just leave it as a glass half-full/half-empty scenario.

Comment

Its hard to evaluate any of this at the current juncture.

The Rams have a lot of key players who will need new contracts in the next 2-3 years and, starting in 2019, they'll have a lot of cap space to accommodate several of these players.

By this time next year, we'll have a much better idea of whether contracts will be our downfall, or the key to a long-term run.

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too View Post

No matter how it turns out, AD will not hold out past the reporting period, as happened last year. Holding out extends his rookie contract, restricting his ability to move on to a team if that is his desire. I know last year had some special factors that changed his required reporting date, but this year I am pretty sure that it is well before 'loading-the-bus-for-the-first-game' like he did last year.

gap

Comment

I think the problem isn't that that non-qb contracts are too low, but that qb contracts are way too high. When you see average QBs like Cousins getting huge deals and guys like Garapaslurpy getting a mega deal for what was essentially preseason, how are superstars at other positions supposed to react? Teams have shot themselves in the foot by allowing qbs to drive up price tags.

Comment

Originally posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
                  I think the problem isn't that that non-qb contracts are too low, but that qb contracts are way too high. When you see average QBs like Cousins getting huge deals and guys like Garapaslurpy getting a mega deal for what was essentially preseason, how are superstars at other positions supposed to react? Teams have shot themselves in the foot by allowing qbs to drive up price tags.
                  This is a very legitimate point. QB contracts have always been superior to everything else in the league, and that's all fine and good.

But when someone like Stafford - a one time Pro Bowler who is 0-3 in the playoffs - gets $92 million guaranteed, or a guy like Garoppolo - who has made 7 career starts with less than 300 career pass attempts - gets $70+ million guaranteed, then we're getting ridiculous.

And yes, in the face of those numbers, you'd better believe the guys who have been absolutely dominant at other positions for multiple years are going to want their mega bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    When you see average QBs like Cousins getting huge deals
                    Cousins is like the 2018 version of Dave Goltz (long time Dodger fans will know what I mean).

Comment

But when someone like Stafford - a one time Pro Bowler who is 0-3 in the playoffs - gets $92 million guaranteed, or a guy like Garoppolo - who has made 7 career starts with less than 300 career pass attempts - gets $70+ million guaranteed, then we're getting ridiculous.

It's almost as bad - but not quite - as the old rookie draft scale. These guys have SOME tape on them so it's not a complete crap shoot but the ramifications of picking the wrong player to gamble on is the same. Which... is why the owners wanted the old rookie scale drafted iic.

Comment

...We're getting ridiculous.

We are $O getting ridiculous!

Again I say, no wonder tickets are ... ridiculously ... expensive. With or without a calculator.

Comment

Working...
                        X