Still plenty to learn.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still plenty to learn.....

Az Hakim looking upfield before he catches the punt.

Warner forcing two passes early in the game that could easily have been intercepted.

Martz still seemingly clueless about conserving timeouts.

The Rams outplayed the Saints last night but if they continue to display poor game management and decisions in pressure situations then they are ripe for a playoff upset. Warner seemed to make the most progress as his passes after the early mistkaes were crisp and on the mark. He even tucked the ball away a few times and took the sack instead of throwing up potential INTs.

The defense was STELLAR as they swarmed Brooks and did not let up till after the whistle.

You may think I'm nit-picking but I want the Rams to win another Super Bowl.

They have three games left to get their act together. The opponents are all second-tier teams but the Rams should concentrate on possession, minimizing penalties, time management and NO FREAKING TURNOVERS while they secure HFA.

i hold my breath everytime i see az back on punts. Sure he's got an upside, but i personally would rather see someone else back there like trung or somebody that can hold onto the ball better. Field position really isn't that big a deal with this team, but turnovers will be soon.

Comment

Fair enough...

Good assesment Harkin, all valid points.

Some call the Rams offense a "high risk" system but still, it does pose a real negative potential when confronted by a hungry, heads-up opponent, particularly come playoffs time.

Rams looked good last night!

Rams will adjust and be ready, nonetheless.
      R-R-R-R-E-A-D-E-E-E TO RRRUMMMBLE!! GO RAMS!!!

Comment

The timeout issue was caused by way too many decible of "Who let the Dogs out" that was ridiculous.

I agree with Hakim, but to his credit after the fumble, he came back with a big reception on the final drive of the 2nd qtr, and had some great returns in the 2nd half that put the Rams in great field position.

The Warner potential INT's was a worrisome area, but he was on target last night.

Playing in a hostile environment, with your D secondary banged up, I would say that last nights game was one of the best all year.

Comment

It seems like the RAMS like giving the other teams a chance at taking over the game. The turnovers and the breakdown on defense that let the Aintís receiver shoot straight up the middle for a score proved it. If they take care of the ball and donít break down on pass coverage they can beat any team.

The defense, besides a couple of bad plays in the secondary, played fantastic. The way they controlled Brooks was excellent. (Just wanted to re-emphasize what Harkin stated).

They can play the perfect game. Every one of us knows it.

Donít let up Ė get Marshall involved as much as possible, and let Wistrom create havoc like he did last night.

They are on the way. As always Ė every game is important.

(It looks like the Bears have a chance to stay close behind with their next three games).

Go RAMS Go!!!!
          :ram:
          Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MsWistRAM
            Looking Like a Super Bowl Team
            by MsWistRAM
            Now that's more like it! That's the kind of game they used to play during their run to get those pretty rings. Touchdown on the opening run, no settling for any silly fieldgoal. I knew right then we were on our way to something sweet!

Looks like Warner got those cobwebs out. He was in true form today. I couldn't be more proud if I were his mother. (I'm thinking his thumb is feeling better.)

Someone still needs to have a little chat with Fletcher about the price of personal fouls, but he made up for that nicely with the sack and forced fumble that McLeon scooped up.

The local Domino's Pizza last year had a touchdown takedown deal where you could get a dollar off per touchdown the next day. If that deal is still good, that's $6 off of any pizza tomorrow. WooHoo! (I'm more excited about the fact that it represents 6 touchdowns though!)

Kinda glad late in 1st quarter that Faulk had stuck around Warner to try and block a defender so he could grab that Warner fumble, but can't help wondering if that wouldn't have happened if he'd taken off to receive a pass instead. Hmm. Doesn't matter, it all worked out in the end, even after Baker's punt was blocked.

A few tense moments, but once they put some distance between them and the Fins on the scoreboard those subsided. Almost thought on Miami's last possession that the Rams were gonna let them Have a touchdown out of charity. Then Fletcher intercepts it in the EZ (another redeeming moment) with only a few seconds left! Leave it to the Rams. Keep us on our seats to the very end.
            -09-30-2001, 04:08 PM
          • Randy
            Martz-Players coach
            by Randy
            Listening to Mike Martz's press conference on Tuesday 12/18 the players have to love this guy. He stood up for Hakim, stating that he is coached to look in front of him to view where the oncoming defenders are at, and the problem lies in his feet positioning. I don't know if I buy that but that's his statement, how can you catch a ball if you are not concentrating on it. Praising Kurt & Grant on the best games of their short NFL careers. Standing up for his players when they wanted challenges. That may burn us in the playoffs but you got to like the aggressive offense. All the other teams in the league except us and San Fran are BORING. RUN-RUN-PASS-PUNT. LOOK FOR RAMS TO GO 14-2, huge blowouts againest Indy and Falcons. Once playoffs start, What do the Bears have? we beat SF consistantly finally, Philly nothing, watch the Pack.
            -12-19-2001, 11:33 AM
          • jdpbmo
            Rams vs NE
            by jdpbmo
            Man o' man, that was a good game. First award goes to the defense for doing their thing. Right now they are the glue that is holding this team together and on top. I love to watch that offense and they are something else, when the interceptions and fumbles are avoided. That point still bothers me, but hey you can't throw too many stones at 8-1. I would really like to see them stick it to TB and NO. I don't think they will have much trouble with TB, but the NO game will be tough. I hope Brooks throws some interceptions then takes off to tackle the man so we can plow him like they did Warner in the dome. I thought our special teams did an excellent job. Their crowd was really into the game and Warner and company did a great job of neutralizing them by scoring. I also liked the way we held the ball at the end of the game by a stiff does of Faulk and Warner. Faulk is amazing, as a player, as a person, as a role model. I thought Warner threw the ball better last night, at least it looked like the thumb didn't affect him as much. I think when they got that first down late with the little flare to Faulk that is the first time I have seen Martz show emotion. Hell, even when he's on someone he seems cool and composed. I didn't understand the timeout with a few seconds left in the 3rd quarter? Not much else, just great job again and a wonderful team effort.:angryram:
            -11-19-2001, 11:37 AM
          • djccon
            Dark Cloud to the Silver Lining
            by djccon
            Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled at 7-1, and didn't have any anxiety about today's game at all, it was as dominating as could be. However, there are areas that, if not improved upon, could cost us against good teams.

Unfortunately, two weeks to work on the kick coverage team doesn't seem to be enough. I fear this sub-mediocre play will haunt us later if they don't fix it soon, if not NOW!

As I said in an earlier post - Bobby April has to be the most overrated special teams coach alive. Where on earth did this guy earn a reputation as a special teams "genius?"

The never-ending turnovers are still a huge concern, too.

Of even greater concern is that Warner's hand hasn't healed. It looked like he was floating the ball, and I wondered internally if it wasn't still bothering him. Then, to see him with ice on it late in the game confirmed my fear. I have to wonder now if it isn't worse than even THEY know.

Overall, I'd venture to say the turnovers and not-so-special teams are my only concern right now. Both should be fixable.

As I said before, there is only ONE team capable of beating the Rams - the Rams.

XXXVI...here we come.
            -11-11-2001, 03:49 PM
          • OldRamsfan
            Historical Moments # 2 The rest of the story
            by OldRamsfan
            Since their was a member that wanted me to finish the rest of my post on Historical Moments here you are ( sorry for not finishing that post I really was not feeling well while posting that thread soooo here is the rest hope you enjoy ...

Historical Moments:

1995: As the Rams got ready for their first season in St. Louis, work was speeded up for a brand new domed stadium in downtown St. Louis ... Despite the increased work the new Trans World Dome would not be ready for the season, and the Rams would have to use Busch Stadium for their first 2 home games ... After stunning the Packers in Green Bay 17-14 on September 3rd, the Rams came home to play their first official game in St. Louis....Fans in the gateway were pleased to have the NFL back and sold out Busch Stadium as the Rams beat the New Orleans Saints 17-13 to improve to 2-0. The Rams would go on to win their next 2 games as well to complete a 4-0 start... After a 21-18 loss to the Colts in Indianapolis, the Rams set to open the Trans World Dome against the Atlanta Falcons...He Rams would open the dome with a 21-19 win to improve to 5-1, setting up a showdown game with San Francisco *****... The ***** game was the moment of truth for the Rams; unfortunately it exposed many weaknesses as the Rams lost 44-10. At 5-2 the Rams still sat in good playoff position, but the loss to the ***** was only the beginning in the final 9 games the Rams won just 2 to finish with a 7-9 record ...

1996: The Rams shake up their team by trading unhappy stars RB Jerome Bettis, and Shawn Gilbert ... To replace Bettis the Rams draft Nebraska star Lawrence Phillips. The new look Rams start their second season in St. Louis with a win 26-16 against the Cincinnati Bengals at the Trans World Dome. However the Rams would lose their next 4 as Phillips struggled in his rookie season ... After a win over the Jacksonville Jaguars the Rams would continue to struggle and sat at 3-9. The Rams would win 3 of their last 4, to finish with a 6-10 record... However Coach Rich Brooks was still fired following the season in which Phillips only rushed for 632 yards, while scoring 4 TDs ...

1997: The Rams change their entire coaching staff, as a group of old pros come in to lead the Rams. Leading the way is Dick Vermiel who is returning to coaching after a 15-year hiatus ... One of Vermiel's first moves is to trade up in the draft to select OT Orland Pace to be the foundation of a strong Offensive Line ... The Vermiel led Rams win their first game of the season against the New Orleans Saints 38-24. However once again the 1-0 start would not last long as the Rams lost 10 of their next 11 games ... The Rams would close the season strong again winning 3 of their final 4 to close out with a 5-11 record ...

1998: In the off season the Rams are forced to release Lawrence Phillips after off the field troubles, and on field struggles become to much for the club to handle.
            -04-20-2006, 09:58 AM
          Working...
          X