Observations from Rams vs. Ravens Pre-season Game 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Rams vs. Ravens Pre-season Game 1

1. Not the end of the world...but you'd like to see some of our veteran back-ups play better. They were thoroughly outshined by our rookies and younger players tonight.

2. Sean Mannion sucks. I get that it's the first pre-season game, but his abysmally slow footwork, sluggish movement skills, inaccurate arm, and inability to progress through his reads quickly won't magically change in the next 3 weeks.

3. I am excited to see Luis Perez in action.

4. Brandon Allen played decently. He works well when he isn't faced with constant pressure. At this point, I'd keep Allen over Mannion.

5. Darrell Williams is literally a traffic cone on the field. We might as well just put a real traffic cone at LT/RT because everyone is going to go right around him anyways. I will be shocked if he makes the final roster.

6. Same with Cornelius Lucas. He's got great size, but that's about it. He moves like a mountain.

7. Termarrick Hemmingway continues to blow opportunities. I used to be a big fan...but I'm starting to realize he's just not that good.

8. Aaron Neary sucks. Cut.

9. Noteboom played pretty well tonight and should be our back-up LT over Darrell Williams.

10. Brian Allen was solid at center.

11. Austin Blythe continues to look like he can be our swing guard/center. I am comfortable that if Sullivan gets injured/retires, we have two good options with Blythe and Allen to replace him.

12. Demby had a few rough moments but seems OK.

13. John Kelly and Justin Davis looked awesome tonight. John Kelly, although slow, has very shifty feet and makes people miss. Justin Davis has legitimate breakaway speed and is a great playmaker. I'm excited about him. Malcolm Brown was not impressive.

14. Josh Reynolds needs to step up. He had one horrific drop.

15. Pharaoh Cooper at this point in his career is solely a prolific special teams player.

16. Hekker had a terrible shank that went for 8 yards. Was amusing to watch.

17. Troy Hill looked like the old Troy Hill. He was getting beat by EVERYONE, including Lamar Jackson.

18. Micah Kiser was impressive tonight. He was always in the right place at the right time and was a force in the run game. He will be special.

19. Jojo Datson (think that's his name) is like the generic brand version of Tavon Austin: fraction of the price, and arguably performs just the same, and maybe even better.

20. Ebukam and Westbrooks provided some nice pressure.

21. Need to see Ejuan Price step up more. I want to see him have more game time. I am high on him.

22. Our back-up DL was not very inspiring.

23. Justin Lawler was flying around the ball. I like him.

24. Bryce Hagar is meh.

I'm not all the way through the condensed version yet, but from what I see, neither Darrell Williams nor Cornelius Lucas inspire much confidence in me. Williams lost to edge speed and inside moves, Lucas looked too slow to mirror on the right side. On the defensive side, Hager and Hill stood out as guys who probably have some work to do. Hill had multiple head scratchers and Hager seems either slow to react or is taking poor angles.

Comment

The number one observation for me was that i didnt see anyone get hurt. I thought Kelley was indeed a bright spot. Malcolm Brown had zero blocking, i dont see how anyone can judge based on anything that happened last night when he got hit repeatedly in the backfield. I am not sure who #73 was, but he was atrocious in the extreme. Troy Hill got beat like a drum and didnt get his head around on what should have been a pick. I agree mannion looked awful, but he didnt have a lot of help either and allen is not the answer. If the Rams are going to try and make a serious run, NFL being what it is, we need a legit vet backup. If mannion isnt the guy, we are going to need to pick someone else up via trade or waiver. One other point, Billick is a horrible announcer.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
        11. Austin Blythe continues to look like he can be our swing guard/center. I am comfortable that if Sullivan gets injured/retires, we have two good options with Blythe and Allen to replace him.
        Agreed. Blythe has been steady since he arrived, and I have every confidence in his ability.

18. Micah Kiser was impressive tonight. He was always in the right place at the right time and was a force in the run game. He will be special.
        I really liked what I saw from Kiser.

19. Jojo Datson (think that's his name) is like the generic brand version of Tavon Austin: fraction of the price, and arguably performs just the same, and maybe even better.
        It's actually Natson, and I loved what I saw from him. He's got great burst and quickness on returns, and looks like he could contribute at receiver as well.

Comment

2. Sean Mannion sucks. I get that it's the first pre-season game, but his abysmally slow footwork, sluggish movement skills, inaccurate arm, and inability to progress through his reads quickly won't magically change in the next 3 weeks.
          I have to agree with you here. I have never seen Mannion play well. I am curious why he is still around, really. He rarely looked off the primary receiver....

The team needs someone who can move around a little, IMO. If Bridgewater gets free, I would hope that the RAMS would go after him - or someone similar....

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Comment

Kudos to all that actually watched and have the ability to critique based on what they saw. Me, I turned it off after the pick by Mannion. Before that there was a lot of Fast Forwarding!

Comment

Working...
            X