Bonsignore: Rams may have a backup QB problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonsignore: Rams may have a backup QB problem

From Rotoworld, because The Athletic is only for paying members it seems...

The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore reports Rams backup QB Sean Mannion "has struggled" all offseason and into training camp.

And it continued into the preseason opener Thursday against Baltimore where Mannion got the start, played the entire first half, and was dreadful while completing 3-of-13 passes for 16 yards and one interception. The Rams rested all of their offensive starters, giving Mannion's group plenty of run, but Mannion flopped miserably. The No. 2 QB spot in L.A. is a big cause for concern.

As a fan of Mannion since he was in HS, I can just say wow. While there were some dropped passes he looked horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
      As a fan of Mannion since he was in HS, I can just say wow. While there were some dropped passes he looked horrible.
      I've been a long time fan as well mac, and was very disappointed in how he played. He looked completely confused, was out of sync with his receivers, made bad decisions, and didn't look confident at all. Probably a bit too soon too panic, but he needs to get his you know what together and show he belongs in the NFL. Definitely cause for concern with his play moving forward, and his confidence level.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I've been a long time fan as well mac, and was very disappointed in how he played. He looked completely confused, was out of sync with his receivers, made bad decisions, and didn't look confident at all. Probably a bit too soon too panic, but he needs to get his you know what together and show he belongs in the NFL. Definitely cause for concern with his play moving forward, and his confidence level.
        This is his fourth season in the NFL, and his second in Sean McVay's offense. It's not too soon to panic. He doesn't have the goods to play QB in the NFL. We should have a solid vet in that role.

The Rams starters are top of the league. But they lack depth at many positions. This is a critical weakness for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
          This is his fourth season in the NFL, and his second in Sean McVay's offense. It's not too soon to panic. He doesn't have the goods to play QB in the NFL. We should have a solid vet in that role.

The Rams starters are top of the league. But they lack depth at many positions. This is a critical weakness for this team.
          I guess that's one way to look at it. While Mannion's play last night was disturbing, and cause for concern, it was one game. As you stated, this is his fourth season in the NFL, which means he's been consistent enough in three years of preseason games to keep his NFL backup job. McVay evaluated him through the preseason last year, and chose to retain him. His numbers in regular season games are limited, but they're not horrific. He's always looked like what he is, a backup.

Again, I'm concerned, because what I saw last night was a big regression, and it looks to me like he's having confidence issues. If he struggles again mightily next week, I think your points will be more relevant.

Comment

Our backup offensive line was terrible and he had some drops. He also looked terrible. I hear Roman Gabriel is in really good shape. Not so mobile any longer, but throwing very well. Bulger would be another decent option.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Even excluding the failure around him, including dropped passes and bad protection, Mannion's fundamentals just did not look good at all. And those faults are solely his.

Comment

I agree. Mannion has been given plenty of support by many fans on the forum, going back to when Goff struggled. He needs to justify that support with positive performance. And I don't want to hear about drops, a new coach, second tier receivers and all the usual justifications. His performance totally sucked and wasn't representative of a guy looking to be considered a solid back-up for this team or any other. 3-13 for 16 yards?? He needs to do a much better job in his next outing, or he might be out of one.

In my opinion, LA needs to secure a veteran back-up, heaven forbid Goff ever misses time. All the good moves we've made this off season won't mean a lick if this need isn't addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                  Even excluding the failure around him, including dropped passes and bad protection, Mannion's fundamentals just did not look good at all. And those faults are solely his.
                  yes, his fundamentals were just so off and strangely amateur "ish" in what I saw. It was like he was not even close to being able to compete. Caus efor concern.....yes. Interesting to hear McVay take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I guess that's one way to look at it. While Mannion's play last night was disturbing, and cause for concern, it was one game. As you stated, this is his fourth season in the NFL, which means he's been consistent enough in three years of preseason games to keep his NFL backup job. McVay evaluated him through the preseason last year, and chose to retain him. His numbers in regular season games are limited, but they're not horrific. He's always looked like what he is, a backup.

Again, I'm concerned, because what I saw last night was a big regression, and it looks to me like he's having confidence issues. If he struggles again mightily next week, I think your points will be more relevant.
                    I agree that he's got himself into a position where it's pretty much coming down to the next preseason game or two as to whether he's got an NFL backup QB career or not. I admire your positivity, but I feel I've seen enough and am not expecting to be surprised. The issue I'm more interested in at this point is what adequate vet back ups are or will be available. In any event, pray for Goff's health.

Comment

I agree that he's got himself into a position where it's pretty much coming down to the next preseason game or two as to whether he's got an NFL backup QB career or not. I admire your positivity, but I feel I've seen enough and am not expecting to be surprised. The issue I'm more interested in at this point is what adequate vet back ups are or will be available. In any event, pray for Goff's health.
                      Your position is completely reasonable considering what we saw last night. As far as my view of things, I'm not necessarily trying to be positive, just looking at the last few years of preseason play, where Mannion was not bad (including a 94.1 QB Rating in the 2016 preseason). Two coaching staffs saw enough to keep him around, and as far as I remember, there have been no real Mannion complaints around here until now.

That said, we'll see if last night was just a really bad game, or an indicator that he needs to be replaced. I would not be surprised if McVay is already hedging his bets and looking for other options.

Comment

Mannion looks like a guy who has lost ALL confidence in his abilities, and the QB position is totally dependant on ones confidence.

Comment

I think the qb rating is a bit misleading in terms of past preseason games becase he generally was not playing against first string defenses. Backups against backups he did fine. The flip side of that coin is that he was playing with backups against first teamers the other night.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                            I think the qb rating is a bit misleading in terms of past preseason games becase he generally was not playing against first string defenses. Backups against backups he did fine. The flip side of that coin is that he was playing with backups against first teamers the other night.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                            You're right GC, but my point was that he's been steady in his previous preseason play, steady enough to have two coaching staffs choose to keep him, and that his play on Thursday wasn't necessarily indicative of what he's done throughout his career. Maybe Thursday was just a bad game, maybe he's regressed to the point where he needs to be replaced. We should find out soon enough.

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
                            Mannion looks like a guy who has lost ALL confidence in his abilities, and the QB position is totally dependant on ones confidence.
                            This is what concerns me. He looked dejected, frustrated, and seemed to be just going through the motions the entire game. Not a good look, or mental attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                              I agree that QB rating is not a very telling statistic for a guy that has only played in the preseason. As far as two coaching staffs keeping him around, Fisher drafted him and then kept him on the roster as a third-string quarterback. He thought enough of Mannion to trade the farm 2 years later so he could draft Goff. McVay inherited both of them, didn't know last preseason what he had in either of them. This preseason, McVay knows for sure that Goff can play and is our starter. So, Mannion's role and future in the McVay regime is a front and center issue this preseason. The poor performance in the first game was a significant disappointment in a major opportunity. I think it's fair to say his future is on the line over the next couple of few weeks, and especially in the next game. I just haven't seen enough from him to make me feel it's important to keep him on the roster. Unless Mannion is surprisingly dazzling in the next couple of games, I'd rather have a proficient vet backup. I won't be surprised to see one signed after final roster cuts. When that vet is up to speed, Mannion is 3rd string or to the cornfield.

Comment