X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McVay: "Increased dialogue" with Donald's reps

Gary Klein
    ‏@LATimesklein

Sean McVay said there has been “increased dialogue” with Aaron Donald’s reps and is optimistic situation will be resolved.

8:27 PM - 11 Aug 2018
    Your daily Aaron Donald update!

Let's hope "increased dialogue" doesn't mean just more of the same. I like hearing optimism that the situation will be resolved, but we've been hearing that for months.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
      McVay: "Aaron, see ya soon, buddy!"
      Nick
      Link to McVay's press conference from tonight...

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1034588005137178625

Notes from Twitter...

Vincent Bonsignore
      ‏@VinnyBonsignore
      #Rams Sean McVay talking as optimistically and forcefully about an deal with Aaron Donald happening very soon

Myles Simmons
      ‏@MylesASimmons
      McVay says there is a level of increased optimism that something will get done soon with Aaron Donald. #LARams

Rich Hammond
      ‏@Rich_Hammond
      Sean McVay is being really oddly giddy about the increased possibility of Aaron Donald signing: “All jokes aside, there is a level of increased optimism. ... Aaron, see you soon.”

Vincent Bonsignore
      ‏@VinnyBonsignore
      McVay made it clear things have changed over last few days and his optimism stems from that change. He was pretty clear the finish line is very near

Gary Klein
      @LATimesklein
      McVay and Rams execs went to Atlanta last year before final preseason game to meet with Donald reps. McVay did not rule out doing same before or after New Orleans.

Myles Simmons
      @MylesASimmons
      The press conference was worth watching. Will do my best to unpack it written wise shortly. But McVay did make it seem like something had changed in the last day or two in order to give him that increased level of optimism.

Vincent Bonsignore
      @VinnyBonsignore
      Sense is it’s no longer a question of when with #Rams and Donald - end of week seems realistic - but rather what will the final numbers look like, exactly, when they cross the finish line.

Gary Klein
      ‏@LATimesklein
      McVay, with tongue in cheek: "The dialogue has increased, the level of urgency is extremely high on both sides. Let’s go Kevin Demoff, all right, let’s go. Just kidding."

Gary Klein
      ‏@LATimesklein
      McVay: “All jokes aside, there is a level of increased optimism. There’s a lot of things that need to get done for it to be finalized but we’re working in a positive direction… So, Aaron, see ya soon buddy.”
      -08-28-2018, 07:13 PM
    • Nick
      As Rams prepare for cuts, McVay ‘definitely optimistic’ that Donald will end holdout
      Nick
      As Rams prepare for roster cuts, Coach Sean McVay is ‘definitely optimistic’ that Aaron Donald will end holdout
      By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
      PUBLISHED: August 31, 2017 at 7:05 pm | UPDATED: August 31, 2017 at 8:47 pm

GREEN BAY, Wisc. — Sean McVay’s focus on Sept. 10 almost has been almost obsessive. The Rams’ coach has seemed like an eager child counting down to the days to his birthday. It’s almost here.

Much to McVay’s excitement, the preseason ended Thursday night with a 24-10 loss to Green Bay at Lambeau Field, a game filled with backup players, many of whom were fighting for roster spots.

McVay’s work isn’t done, though. The Rams likely will start making roster cuts Friday, and by 1 p.m. Saturday, they must be down to a 53-man roster, from their current level of 89. Then there’s the big question, as to whether star defensive lineman Aaron Donald will be one of those 53.

Donald currently is listed on the Rams’ “did not report” list, because he declined to attend training camp while his agent negotiated a new contract with the Rams. Conventional wisdom holds that if Donald doesn’t appear in the next couple days, he won’t be ready for the Sept. 10 season opener.

So, will it happen?

“The feeling right now is definitely optimistic,” McVay said after Thursday’s game.

In fact, McVay used the word “optimistic” four times in eight sentences when asked about Donald, and seemed to be in a good mood when he discussed the topic. That’s in contrast to General Manager Les Snead, who in previous interviews declined to categorize talks as “optimistic” or “pessimistic.”

Then again, McVay is “optimistic” by nature, and a little more than a month ago, McVay told reporters he was “optimistic” that Donald would report for the start of training camp. Donald never showed up.

So what (potentially) has changed? Are the Rams and Donald closing in on a new mega-contract?

“We continue to have a lot of respect for both sides, so we’ll keep those (discussions) in-house,” McVay said, “but I do feel good about where we’re at. We know that there’s progress to be made, but we’re optimistic about the direction that we’re going and the level of urgency that I think both sides have, to try to get Aaron a part of this so that we can have him playing against the Colts.”

So, when the Rams gather again Friday in Thousand Oaks, McVay will have one eye on Donald’s status and one on the rest of the roster. Thursday’s game didn’t offer many revealing hints, in terms of the Rams’ thoughts on final cuts.

Justin Davis started the game at running back, which is perhaps a further indication that he has an edge over Aaron Green as the Rams’ third back, behind Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown.

Nelson Spruce did not play, which cost him a final chance to take himself off the bubble at receiver....
      -09-01-2017, 06:03 AM
    • Nick
      Some updates from Rams/Ravens practice
      Nick
      All courtesy of Gary Klein on Twitter...

Rams Aqib Talib lined up opposite Ravens receiver Michael Crabtree 10 times during various drills. No incidents. Talib broke up only pass that came his way.

Sean McVay said he’d be surprised if Aaron Donald reported by Tuesday.

Jared Goff said it would be no problem if he was among starters who don’t play Thursday against Ravens.

McVay on Donald situation:" I don’t think anything’s going to change with that in the near future. I’ve had a little bit of dialogue with Aaron and we’re hopeful that we’ll get something done."

McVay continued: "But I don’t think there’s any realistic deal to kind of that Aug. 7 being a date that changes really anything. But you never know. And things remain the same. I’m looking forward to trying to connect with him later today and we’ll see where we’re at."

McVay on Ravens facility: "You feel like you’re pulling up to a country club, so pretty nice."

McVay on whether he has a plan re Jared Goff for Thursday night: "There’s a good chance a handful of guys, if we feel like we get the work that we want, will sit out on Thursday." Goff said he was fine with whatever McVay decides.

McVay said he spoke with Talib about Crabtree in advance of practices: "Aqib is a smart player, he’sa leader. I think he knew that there would be a lot of eyes on that specific situation and [I] trusted that based on our conversations he’s be smart about it and he certainly was.

Michael Brockers on Aaron Donald: "I know he’s working. I know he’s grinding.... I know he’s getting the work done, doing everything possible where he’s in shape when he comes here. So that’s all I can look forward to. Whenever he gets here, he’s ready to roll."
      -08-06-2018, 03:32 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Klein: Gerald Everett's injury cause of concern for Rams
      r8rh8rmike
      Gerald Everett's injury cause of concern for Rams

By Gary Klein
      Aug 04, 2018 | 8:10 PM
      Gerald Everett was expected to play a larger role in the Rams’ high-scoring offense this season, the second for both the tight end and coach Sean McVay. That plan has hit an early roadblock.

A shoulder injury will prevent Everett from traveling with the team to Baltimore for joint practices with the Ravens and the Rams’ first preseason game, McVay said after Saturday’s workout, the second in a row that Everett sat out.

McVay sounded cautiously optimistic after describing the injury as a sprain, but acknowledged concern that it could be more serious or difficult to play through because of the physical demands tight ends confront on every play.

“Fortunately, it’s not something right now that we felt like had to get fixed,” McVay said. “But until you really go through that process, you never know how it’s truly going to respond.”

The Rams averaged a league-best 29.9 points last season without big numbers by the tight ends, which accounted for only 49 of the team’s 320 receptions, and only three of 28 touchdown catches.

After the Rams lost to Atlanta in the wild-card round of the playoffs, McVay said throughout the offseason that Everett, Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway were on track to give the offense more options.

Everett, a second-round pick in 2017, caught only 16 passes as rookie, two for touchdowns. He said last week that his goal was to become more consistent and provide a red-zone threat. Now he must wait to show it.

Johnny Mundt, Henry Krieger-Coble and Cody McElroy, with a combined five games of NFL experience, are the other tight ends on the roster.

Armed and ready

Jared Goff enjoyed perhaps the best training-camp performance of his young career during a practice that lasted 2½ hours. Goff connected with receivers Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp on multiple passes into tight coverage. He also hooked up with Todd Gurley and Woods, among others, for touchdowns.

Goff’s performance was all the more impressive, McVay said, because many plays were unscripted and several were executed cleanly despite late communication from the play-caller.

“You felt that he was in total command,” McVay said.

Donald watch

Like defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is eager to see how it looks when he eventually lines up next to holdout Aaron Donald.

“There’s a situation that needs to be taken care of,” Suh said of the impasse between the Rams and Donald. “Hopefully, swiftly and he can get back to us and we can start working together. But in the meantime, I’ve got plenty of other teammates I’ve got to work with and get used to and make plays with.”

McVay said he was “not really sure” if Donald would report by Tuesday, the NFL...
      -08-05-2018, 03:05 PM
    • Nick
      As Rams gear up for minicamp, Aaron Donald seems unlikely to suit up
      Nick
      As Rams gear up for minicamp, Aaron Donald seems unlikely to suit up
      By GARY KLEIN
      JUN 11, 2018 | 4:15 PM

Players paraded through the Rams’ Thousand Oaks practice facility Monday, taping television and in-game stadium promos and posing for media-guide portraits.

Aaron Donald was not among them.

As the Rams prepare for the start of a mandatory minicamp Tuesday, all indications are that Donald, embroiled in a contract dispute that dates to 2017, will not attend.

Last year, after sitting out organized-team activities, the star defensive tackle attended the mandatory minicamp but did not participate in drills. By attending, he avoided slightly more than $80,000 in fines.

But this year, the financial penalty probably won’t factor into the decision for the reigning NFL defensive player of the year, a four-year veteran capable of resetting the market for players other than quarterbacks.

Donald, 27, is scheduled to earn about $6.9 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract.

Neither the Rams nor Donald’s representatives have commented publicly about his desired salary figure or range. Donald, however, is thought to be seeking a deal that will pay him in excess of $20 million per season. That would not only make him the highest-paid defensive player in history, but would also put him in the company of highly compensated quarterbacks.

The Rams have leverage: If they don’t eventually come to terms with Donald this season, they could put the franchise tag on him in each of the next two.

And if Donald does not report to training camp at least 30 days before the Sept. 10 season opener against the Oakland Raiders, he would lose the opportunity to accrue a year toward unrestricted free agency.

Coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead have said they were in communication with Donald’s agents, but neither side has expressed publicly that they are close to working out a deal.

McVay said last week he would speak with Donald regarding the minicamp.

“I know we’ll have an idea based on whether it’s ‘OK, I’m not going to come until there’s a resolution,’ or ‘I will be there,’ ” McVay said.

Donald is not the only marquee player staying away from an NFL minicamp because of a contract situation.

The Atlanta Falcons announced Monday that receiver Julio Jones will not participate. Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack, the 2016 NFL defensive player of the year, reportedly also will be absent.

Donald’s participation in minicamp would help strengthen a remade Rams defense that features new defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib.

But his absence is not regarded as a major distraction for a team that features a majority of players who are familiar with McVay’s offense and defensive coordinator Wade...
      -06-12-2018, 08:03 AM
    Working...
    X